PDA

View Full Version : Boresnake owners...

7.62NATO
11-15-08, 23:21
How does the boresnake work? Do you soak it in solvent and then run it through the bore? Please explain how a cleaning session with a boresnake is done. Thank you gentlemen. God Bless America. Protect this beautiful nation 'til the end.

PYRO31888
11-15-08, 23:23
I have one .. never used it .. id only use it if i was shooting lots of ammo at the range.

No.6
11-15-08, 23:33
It's great for a very fast clean.
I don't soak mine, but just get it wet with Ogre cleaner and make a couple of passes with it. Next I use a second one with some Corrosion X on it. Finally I follow on with a clean, dry boresnake, if I'm going to keep shooting. If it's going into the safe, then I don't use the clean one till it's time to go to the range again. I keep each one in separate baggies so I don't cross contaminate.

7.62NATO
11-15-08, 23:35
Where is the best place to pick some boresnakes up? Thank you. God Bless the USA.

thopkins22
11-15-08, 23:42
TO ME, the whole point of the boresnake is to provide a quick and easy clean(albeit imperfect) without all the hassle. I wouldn't deal with separating one for solvent, one for LP, and a dry one.

Put a few drops of the clp of your choice around the bore bush area and pull it through once or twice. Boresnakes are the kind of thing I'd pick up at my local gunshop.

ETA No.6 has gotten me thinking about trying a multiple boresnake method for a centerfire, as I only use them on 22lr. and a perfect clean has never given me noticable benefit...centerfire may benefit, I don't know.

No.6
11-15-08, 23:54
7.62NATO, you can internet them from MidwayUSA, get them locally at an Academy Sports (if you have one in your town), or a gun shop might have one (ones around here don't).

thopkins22, for the most part that's my cleaning regime. That's why I keep them separate. Boresnake the barrel, lube all the important wear areas, fast exterior wipe down, check the interior for FOD, clean as required, then into storage. It's a carbine, not a precision rifle. Only detail clean it every once in awhile.

Tantrix
11-16-08, 00:18
Boresnakes are fine, if used correctly. I follow a certain method when I use mine, I don't soak down the entire thing. I use CLP and apply it only to the area of the snake between the pull cord and the brushes, I never put any solvent of any kind on the part of the snake below the brushes...I leave the rest of the snake dry. I do it this way so that when the bore snake is pulled through:

1) first the bore gets a coat of cleaning solvent
2) then the bore is scrubbed by the bristles of the brush
3) lastly the bore is wiped dry by the clean/dry remaining length of the snake below the brushes

This is more or less like putting CLP in the barrel, pulling a bronze bore brush down it, then connecting a jag and running a patch down the bore....only faster.

thopkins22
11-16-08, 01:19
...It's a carbine, not a precision rifle. Only detail clean it every once in awhile.

No doubt, I still have to fight the clean until everything is spotless urge. I'm getting better though...;)

No.6
11-16-08, 01:27
Let me guess, Marines?