PDA

View Full Version : Watch your photos

CuradoKid
10-25-19, 15:07
Just read this. I know we all like to show off our babies, but take extra precautions and delete the serial #. Big brother is always watching.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/10/22/google-firearm-serial-numbers/

Pinnacle
10-25-19, 15:30
Well, that sucks.

Just read this. I know we all like to show off our babies, but take extra precautions and delete the serial #. Big brother is always watching.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/10/22/google-firearm-serial-numbers/

BangBang01
10-25-19, 15:32
Appreciate the article.

Malig8r
10-25-19, 15:42
I always cover the serial number with a piece of paper when taking photos so that you can’t use software to undo the obfuscation.

DMark
10-25-19, 16:04
A few years ago an Anti-2A group copy one of my pictures off a website and used it on their "Ban Evil Black Rifles" Facebook page. That was when I stopped posting pictures of my firearms.

JulyAZ
10-25-19, 16:28
I’ve never once posted a photo of a firearm where the serial was visible or not blurred out.

I thought it was common sense.

Not even for this though, I always thought was if someone wanted to be malicious and report my firearm as stolen, saying it was theirs?

I would be able to prove it’s mine but not without headache. The burden of proof would be on me to prove ownership and not on them.

Seemed like a headache that’s completely avoided by 20 seconds drawing over my serial number and any of the millions of photo edits apps or a piece of electrical tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jellybean
10-25-19, 16:43
Doesn't everyone here already know this?
I mean, take it one step further- if you're really worried about confiscation attempts, why are you posting photos online AT ALL, unless absolutely necessary?

MustangGreg66
10-25-19, 16:57
And here I was thinking most people were just overly cautious or paranoid. :p

markm
10-25-19, 16:58
Agreed. Common sense. Historically, I've not been excessively concerned with this... but as nutty as the imbeciles in this country are getting...

jpmuscle
10-25-19, 17:12
If one obliterates their serial numbers said photos can’t be used against you.

Modern problems require modern solutions.

[emoji23] lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buncheong
10-25-19, 20:25
Doesn't everyone here already know this?
I mean, take it one step further- if you're really worried about confiscation attempts, why are you posting photos online AT ALL, unless absolutely necessary?

This right here ^

SteyrAUG
10-26-19, 00:36
A little late. I can remember back on TOS when a few news sources used white tile pics for some of their stories. I always obscured serial numbers, but it was kinda funny, especially if they misID'd the gun.

hotrodder636
10-26-19, 02:19
Glad I was already paranoid about serial #s in pics before I read this.

vicious_cb
10-26-19, 04:25
Agreed. Common sense. Historically, I've not been excessively concerned with this... but as nutty as the imbeciles in this country are getting...

Common sense isnt so common, just look at the picture thread in AR general discussion.

AndyLate
10-26-19, 07:10
I really don't see the concern with serial numbers unless confiscation happens.

Besides, I got all drunked up and smoked a bunch of that Mary Juana last night and threw all of my guns into the Tennessee river because my old lady dared me to. This morning she found out I threw hers in too, so she's pissed.

Andy

flenna
10-26-19, 07:34

Besides, I got all drunked up and smoked a bunch of that Mary Juana last night and threw all of my guns into the Tennessee river because my old lady dared me to. This morning she found out I threw hers in too, so she's pissed.

Andy

:lol::lol:

FlyingHunter
10-26-19, 08:17

Andy

And I was just thinking today was a good day to go fishing...now I know where! Around the bend when you see the oak tree right?

MegademiC
10-26-19, 11:03
Doesnt work with mine. Weird.

Artos
10-26-19, 13:02
Wonder how many hundreds of thousands of s/n's are on gunbroker alone right now?? Sounds bizarre...what are they gonna do with them at that point??

I'm an ffl so s/n's are my life & don't worry about what I'm selling being on the net...however, like many of you I do tend to pic the side of the gun sans s/n or block it as well with my own toys & them being pic'd here / hunting forum.

JoshNC
10-26-19, 16:03
Uh. This is common sense stuff. Of course you should not post serial numbers on forums, boards, SM, etc.

MegademiC
10-29-19, 06:00
Im calling fake news. It only seems to work with photos from the website that published the article, or web sights linking to it.

Most of the photos that come up dont even include the SN.

duece71
10-29-19, 09:31
“They” already know where you live, what internet sites you visit, what pictures you have posted (firearm related or not) AND how you roll politically. Data mining happens. In the larger scheme of things.....firearm serial numbers are probably the least of your concerns.