PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Carry Handle ARs Now Considered As Vintage / Retro?

Glynn863
10-26-19, 14:33
Got the email about pruning inactive accounts / users, so I figured I'd post something.

Since the flattops seem to be the AR rage now, does that mean our fixed carry handle ARs, even as late as the M16A2 (and semi clones) now considered vintage / retro?

Comments welcome.

Rascally
10-26-19, 14:38
Got the same email, so also figured same. If they are vintage/retro, does that mean they soon be considered as antiques? Perhaps not needing an FFL? I guess one can dream, eh?

gonegun
10-26-19, 15:41
I got the same email. Just picked up a Colt 6520 from my FFL the other day. I'd say they're borderline collectibles now.

buzz_knox
10-26-19, 18:56
I think they are pretty much the definition of a retro AR. In a few more years, a flat top M4 with no accessories will be the “latest” in retro rifles.

gonegun
10-26-19, 19:08
Oh yeah. I'm a big fan of the lightweight barreled Colts. I have two 6520s, one of which has the m16 bcg (6.2 lbs). The other has the half moon cut bolt and is just a hair over 6lbs with a sling. One has a large-pin Geissele SSA, the other will soon. Retro Perfection™

My range rifle is an A4 lightweight (6720) with magpul and a 1x6 ACSS. 1.5 MOA all day with my reloads. You can trace the lineage of that rifle straight back to the 6520. 7.7 lbs with the optic.

mack7.62
10-26-19, 20:38
Got the same email, so also figured same. If they are vintage/retro, does that mean they soon be considered as antiques? Perhaps not needing an FFL? I guess one can dream, eh?

You can buy all the carry handle uppers you want right now without going through an FFL, the SN'd lower is another matter. To be considered an antique and exempt from ATF paper work requirements a firearm has to have been manufactured prior to 1898.

Renegade04
10-26-19, 21:45
Within the past few years, A2 type ARs are pretty much considered "retro" by many. The earlier ARs considered to be "retro" used to be those with A1 type upper receivers (those with no forward assist, those with forward assist, and those with forward assist and brass deflector). Many of the early M16A2 series carbines (723 and 733) used A1 type upper receivers with forward assist and others that included the brass deflector (Brunton Bump). Later M16A2 carbines came with A2 type upper receivers. This would include models such as the 727 and the later variation of the 733. M16A2 rifles had A2 type upper receivers. No flat top ARs are considered retro, although some may consider some early models as being vintage, but the retro community does not consider them retro or vintage at this time. Here is an example of my retro ARs.

https://i.imgur.com/QymWnMj.jpg

Uni-Vibe
10-26-19, 22:42
In 1999 I bought a bushmaster M16A2 clone. That's what an AR was 20 years ago. It's still my go to AR even though I bought a 6920 last year.

When I pull it out at the range, people think it's totally retro. The M4 crowd wants to shoot it.59317

zdogefizzle
10-27-19, 00:08
I think the fact that you can pick up stripped a5 uppers for around $35
Compared to like $150 for an A2

To me that shows a decline in production and/or interest.

Renegade04
10-27-19, 06:51
I think the fact that you can pick up stripped a5 uppers for around $35
Compared to like $150 for an A2

To me that shows a decline in production and/or interest.

There is also the fact that more guys are getting into the retro ARs these days and A1 type upper receivers are selling more so than the A2, but that does not mean that there is any decline in interest. Most guys that are into ARs are wanting all of the newest stuff, thus more of these uppers are being produced, and that is why flat-top uppers are much cheaper than the A1 or A2 type uppers. There are a few companies that offer A2 uppers and some have a hard time keeping them in stock, even at their $125-$150 price tag. There is a lot more involved in producing A1 and A2 type upper receivers as they are designed to have integrated rear sights within the confines of the carrying handle. This requires more precise machining.

bennnn
10-30-19, 21:34
Just like mosin nagants used to be $50 and now they're through the roof. Stuff gets to be worth what the market is willing to pay.

m4carbine
10-31-19, 06:26
Retro or not, the 6520 is one on my most favorite AR platforms. Having used blasters with all the bells and whistles in my professional life for years, during my personal time at the range its fixed carrying handles and iron sights. Its alarming in the military how many cant even use irons any longer.

corpsman5
11-01-19, 20:20
You can buy all the carry handle uppers you want right now without going through an FFL, the SN'd lower is another matter. To be considered an antique and exempt from ATF paper work requirements a firearm has to have been manufactured prior to 1898.

glad I read through the whole thread. I was about to make this exact same comment.

corpsman5
11-01-19, 20:21
I think they are pretty much the definition of a retro AR. In a few more years, a flat top M4 with no accessories will be the “latest” in retro rifles.

this^^^

GRA556
11-02-19, 14:30
I recently purchased a fully assembled new A2 upper from Double Star. My plan is to build an A2 carbine using a new Colt 6720 barrel assembly and my last Colt Sporting Rifles lower. Too bad those lowers are no longer available from JSE.