PDA

View Full Version : Latest Writing Project: Random research Qs

WillBrink
10-29-19, 16:24
Folks, working on a spin off story from my Vacation Gone South (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167590-Vacation-Gone-South-A-Novalla-(Part-I-II-and-III!))) stuff, and have some Qs.

I always try to make sure all the details, large and small, are as accurate as I can make them. I have some random Qs that I will need some assistance on as they emerge I need some help with:

Qs

If a Russian soldier wants to come to the US to attend an arms conference, who clears them for that? State department? FBI?

If a US soldier gets killed in the US and foreign entities suspected, who investigates that? Locals and FBI?

Alex V
10-29-19, 18:01
Can’t answer your Qs but as a fan of the Vacation series I’m looking forward to this. Have you considered continuing the Vacation saga? Spinoff is cool and all but I would dig a continuation of that story too.

just a scout
10-29-19, 18:04
ITAR is run by State, so I guess it would be them. Plus there’s the diplomatic component also to visit a conference in another country since they’d be here as a representative of their government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OH58D
10-29-19, 20:46
I don't know about a Russian soldier, but IDF pilots came to train with my unit on more than one occasion, and I don't know of any background checks. Pentagon notifies the State Department, but it's a military to military interaction. If the activity was off of a military reservation then it's a State Department issue.

If a US soldier is killed by foreign operatives on a military reservation, then the military and FBI are in charge. If it happens off a military reservation, it first begins with local law enforcement, and if that investigation points to foreigners, then the FBI steps in and takes over. As a Staff Officer, I dealt with some more minor types of issues, and they were dealt with based on where the offense took place.

WillBrink
10-30-19, 10:46
Can’t answer your Qs but as a fan of the Vacation series I’m looking forward to this. Have you considered continuing the Vacation saga? Spinoff is cool and all but I would dig a continuation of that story too.

I'm tryin' bro! I actually started VGS V a while ago, but didn't get momentum on it, so it's sitting there. I wish I could bang out the volume other writers can, but that's always been a week spot for me. But, I had this idea for a spin off, which is his uncle, a very salty gent to be sure. Also, even if you're not an SF reader, Pleiades Rising (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ZSTXXI/) is future SOF and combat focused and even has a VGS connection.

ITAR is run by State, so I guess it would be them. Plus there’s the diplomatic component also to visit a conference in another country since they’d be here as a representative of their government.

Thanx, I will look into that some more then. I assume State.

I don't know about a Russian soldier, but IDF pilots came to train with my unit on more than one occasion, and I don't know of any background checks. Pentagon notifies the State Department, but it's a military to military interaction. If the activity was off of a military reservation then it's a State Department issue.

I also assumed greater focus on background checks for potential foes vs allies, but I don't know if that's the case. Activity is not on mil property but city property but a arms conference in DC.

If a US soldier is killed by foreign operatives on a military reservation, then the military and FBI are in charge. If it happens off a military reservation, it first begins with local law enforcement, and if that investigation points to foreigners, then the FBI steps in and takes over. As a Staff Officer, I dealt with some more minor types of issues, and they were dealt with based on where the offense took place.

Not on mil property, but city property. I assumed local LE would be involved and kicked up to feds. It sounds like I'm headed in the right direction then, thanx.

Will have more Qs for you all no doubt, thanx!

Alex V
10-30-19, 11:47
I'm tryin' bro! I actually started VGS V a while ago, but didn't get momentum on it, so it's sitting there. I wish I could bang out the volume other writers can, but that's always been a week spot for me. But, I had this idea for a spin off, which is his uncle, a very salty gent to be sure. Also, even if you're not an SF reader, Pleiades Rising (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ZSTXXI/) is future SOF and combat focused and even has a VGS connection.

Either way, keep up the good work. I enjoyed VGS a lot.

Let me know if you need any Russian translation or some good Russian curses lol.

jack crab
10-30-19, 12:53
As OH58D said, who investigates the death of a servicemember will depend on where the death occurs. Simply because the victim/deceased is a SM does not trigger FBI involvement. The FBI would not get involved until an interstate or international nexus is established. There needs to a be federal crime.

For example, Quantico has several overlapping jurisdictions. Mainside along the river is exclusively DoD jurisdiction so either PMO or NCIS would investigate. The I-95 and Rt 1 corridor has joint state, civ. federal, and military. Over by the FBI academy is civ. fed and mil. If fed jurisdiction only, military offenders get court-martialed. Civilians get prosecuted by US Attorney.

So, a deceased civilian motorist on I-95 within the military reservation, Va. State Police will likely investigate. Off the interstate, sheriff's office, maybe SP. If a military member, probably the same with PMO or NCIS involved or assisting for informational purposes.

Mil member found deceased in DC, the DC police instigate most likely coordinated with NCIS/CID/etc.

At the end of the day, no one is looking for more work. If another relevant agency wants to take over, there is little resistance unless there is some compelling reason. Years ago some Marines left Camp Lejeune and went up to ECU to kidnap/rape/murder a coed. Of course, the one idiot had his keys, including barracks room key, fall out of his pocket at the crime scene, which they did not realize until they got back to base. The USMC was more than willing to roast them, but the county prosecutor wanted to lead for community welfare reasons. On another occasion, a couple Marines murdered a couple other Marines out in Jacksonville. The local civ. authority let the USMC investigate and prosecute.

Grand58742
10-30-19, 12:58

The military investigation services (OSI, NCIS, CID) would initially start the investigation and then request help from the FBI. I think that greatly depends on the type and level of foreign entity involved.

It also depends on the jurisdiction of the military base in question. Certain installations have to cede the initial investigations to local LEO depending on the type of jurisdiction regardless of who was involved. Basically, locals have the first "no" regardless of the situation and can turn it over to the base jurisdictions.

ETA: Basically what Jack said simplified.

WillBrink
10-30-19, 14:46
Either way, keep up the good work. I enjoyed VGS a lot.

Let me know if you need any Russian translation or some good Russian curses lol.

Oh, for sure! Give me some Russian curses to incorporate.

Alex V
10-30-19, 15:50
Oh, for sure! Give me some Russian curses to incorporate.

Cursing in Russian is an art, it's not as simple as English with 5 or 6 curses. You can construct entire sentences with nothing but curses.

One simple example: the word "pussy" as in the female genitalia not the short version of pusillanimous is "pizda". Many people know that, but what they don't know is how many other words it can replace.

For instance:
pizdet' = to lie
pizdun = liar
pizdyachet = to work hard
pizduhat' = to drive a long time
pizdetz = can mean anything from "awesome", "dammit", "the end" all depending on the tone it is said in.
pizduy = get out of of here - my personal favorite phrase is pizduy paka tramvayi hod'at' meaning "get out of here while the trams are still running"

"Xuy" means dick or cock, but can be modified similar to above.
Examples:
nexuya: nothing - as in "nexuya neznayu" = "don't know anything"
daxuya: a lot/plenty - as in "mne daxuya delat" = "I have a lot to do"
naxuya: why

For instance, there is this song lyric: "nahuya mne bez xuya? kak das xuyam daxuya" meaning "why would I need one without a dick when there are plenty with dicks?"

yebat' is the equivalent of "to f*ck" (to have sex)
zayebal = annoyed as in "ti menya zayebal" or "you annoyed the shit out of me"
yebsti = to steal
yebalo = most any orifice - mouth, ass or otherwise.
yebalnik = mouth
uyabivay = leave

The word "blyad" is the easily most repeated curse word. Literally it means "whore" but it is used like "shit" Like if you stub your toe on the bed in the middle of the night. It can also be added to any other word or words. For instance, if you are trying to say something like "shit, it's the end" you can say "blyad, pizdetz". If you watch Russian dash cam videos, you will most likely hear "oye blyad" after each crash lol.

In case you have a scene in your book which takes place in a Russian prison, the worst curse in that environment is "pedar mokrazhopi" which means "wet ass'ed fa**ot" or "pedar gnoiyni" which would be "puss filled fa**ot" Those two will most likely get you stabbed in a Russian prison.

There are whole books on how to curse in Russian. I't too much to teach in one forum post. :-D

WillBrink
10-30-19, 17:37
As OH58D said, who investigates the death of a servicemember will depend on where the death occurs. Simply because the victim/deceased is a SM does not trigger FBI involvement. The FBI would not get involved until an interstate or international nexus is established. There needs to a be federal crime.

For example, Quantico has several overlapping jurisdictions. Mainside along the river is exclusively DoD jurisdiction so either PMO or NCIS would investigate. The I-95 and Rt 1 corridor has joint state, civ. federal, and military. Over by the FBI academy is civ. fed and mil. If fed jurisdiction only, military offenders get court-martialed. Civilians get prosecuted by US Attorney.

So, a deceased civilian motorist on I-95 within the military reservation, Va. State Police will likely investigate. Off the interstate, sheriff's office, maybe SP. If a military member, probably the same with PMO or NCIS involved or assisting for informational purposes.

Mil member found deceased in DC, the DC police instigate most likely coordinated with NCIS/CID/etc.

At the end of the day, no one is looking for more work. If another relevant agency wants to take over, there is little resistance unless there is some compelling reason. Years ago some Marines left Camp Lejeune and went up to ECU to kidnap/rape/murder a coed. Of course, the one idiot had his keys, including barracks room key, fall out of his pocket at the crime scene, which they did not realize until they got back to base. The USMC was more than willing to roast them, but the county prosecutor wanted to lead for community welfare reasons. On another occasion, a couple Marines murdered a couple other Marines out in Jacksonville. The local civ. authority let the USMC investigate and prosecute.

The military investigation services (OSI, NCIS, CID) would initially start the investigation and then request help from the FBI. I think that greatly depends on the type and level of foreign entity involved.

It also depends on the jurisdiction of the military base in question. Certain installations have to cede the initial investigations to local LEO depending on the type of jurisdiction regardless of who was involved. Basically, locals have the first "no" regardless of the situation and can turn it over to the base jurisdictions.

ETA: Basically what Jack said simplified.

Thanx both for the intel. Set is like so: Army ranger last seen with two Russian soldiers is found dead of an apparent heroine OD on street in DC. Background of said Ranger suggests clean cut all American kid and the OD angle smells like BS to my main character. Local PD agrees, but there's no evidence to show otherwise, and plans to kick it to the feds should they too want to investigate due to the fact it was two commies who were the last to see him.

Should I change that that or does that jibe?

Cursing in Russian is an art, it's not as simple as English with 5 or 6 curses. You can construct entire sentences with nothing but curses.

One simple example: the word "pussy" as in the female genitalia not the short version of pusillanimous is "pizda". Many people know that, but what they don't know is how many other words it can replace.

For instance:
pizdet' = to lie
pizdun = liar
pizdyachet = to work hard
pizduhat' = to drive a long time
pizdetz = can mean anything from "awesome", "dammit", "the end" all depending on the tone it is said in.
pizduy = get out of of here - my personal favorite phrase is pizduy paka tramvayi hod'at' meaning "get out of here while the trams are still running"

"Xuy" means dick or cock, but can be modified similar to above.
Examples:
nexuya: nothing - as in "nexuya neznayu" = "don't know anything"
daxuya: a lot/plenty - as in "mne daxuya delat" = "I have a lot to do"
naxuya: why

For instance, there is this song lyric: "nahuya mne bez xuya? kak das xuyam daxuya" meaning "why would I need one without a dick when there are plenty with dicks?"

yebat' is the equivalent of "to f*ck" (to have sex)
zayebal = annoyed as in "ti menya zayebal" or "you annoyed the shit out of me"
yebsti = to steal
yebalo = most any orifice - mouth, ass or otherwise.
yebalnik = mouth
uyabivay = leave

The word "blyad" is the easily most repeated curse word. Literally it means "whore" but it is used like "shit" Like if you stub your toe on the bed in the middle of the night. It can also be added to any other word or words. For instance, if you are trying to say something like "shit, it's the end" you can say "blyad, pizdetz". If you watch Russian dash cam videos, you will most likely hear "oye blyad" after each crash lol.

In case you have a scene in your book which takes place in a Russian prison, the worst curse in that environment is "pedar mokrazhopi" which means "wet ass'ed fa**ot" or "pedar gnoiyni" which would be "puss filled fa**ot" Those two will most likely get you stabbed in a Russian prison.

There are whole books on how to curse in Russian. I't too much to teach in one forum post. :-D

Good stuff, maybe I'll shoot you a sentence or two for translation or will post here when I get that far.

Alex V
10-30-19, 19:56
Good stuff, maybe I'll shoot you a sentence or two for translation or will post here when I get that far.

I’m here for ya. Least I can do for the entertainment your book brought me!

Grand58742
10-30-19, 23:21
Thanx both for the intel. Set is like so: Army ranger last seen with two Russian soldiers is found dead of an apparent heroine OD on street in DC. Background of said Ranger suggests clean cut all American kid and the OD angle smells like BS to my main character. Local PD agrees, but there's no evidence to show otherwise, and plans to kick it to the feds should they too want to investigate due to the fact it was two commies who were the last to see him.

Should I change that that or does that jibe?

DC Metro would more than likely take that kind of case and only involve the FBI if there was substantial evidence pointing to foreign involvement. Even then, I'd likely assume the Russians aren't going to play dumb and would likely get their people out of country faster than the police could react. So, now you have a State Department matter as well.

If you want to get FBI and/or military investigative services involved, have it done on military property. Or the body found there at a minimum. The FBI angle gets a lot more plausible if a body of a service member is found dead on military owned property.

Does it have to be DC or is that just an area you wanted to work with?

just a scout
10-31-19, 03:11
The parkway of Ft. Meyer outside the gate is nil property. They mow the grass, they own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro