PDA

View Full Version : KAC QDC suppressor?

WS6
11-01-19, 23:49
I'm heavily considering one for my 12.5.

I previously thought I'd run a surefire socom mini 2 on it, but...

I'm really not impressed with how easily the SF cans carbon lock on, and on this gun I'd like a bit more quiet, as well. Surefire has a higher tone pitch than KAC QDC, I'm told.

Is the QDC system also going to carbon lock? How is the MAMS? The QDC can will only add about 1.3oz vs a SF Mini+SFMB.

Overall impressions?

TheChunkNorris
11-02-19, 00:04

I'm really not impressed with how easily the SF cans carbon lock on, and on this gun I'd like a bit more quiet, as well. Surefire has a higher tone pitch than KAC QDC, I'm told.

Is the QDC system also going to carbon lock? How is the MAMS? The QDC can will only add about 1.3oz vs a SF Mini+SFMB.

Overall impressions?

I have both a 762 QDC and 762 QDC CQB so I can't speak of the 556 version. I primarily shoot the CQB when shooting sub 300blk and use my regular QDC on a Colt LE901. I think the QDC set up is the best you can get mainly because your mounting point allows you to install the suppressor in the same orientation every time. So far I've had zero carbon lock and I believe it has a lot to do with the way the suppressor locks onto the muzzle device. The MAMS isn't obnoxiously loud but it's still a brake so expect it to be a tad louder than a hider. Overall they're a great can and have no buyers remorse... worth every penny.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191102/a33c9b1b2ac568aa4f06bce8bd36649a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191102/60b99c493d160dcf7046b3a449d55831.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191102/ce7fb5b427d7467ead35e3761b039e63.jpg

Cmm46
11-02-19, 07:14
I have both. My SF mini carbon locks every time. The KAC has carbon locked before but its been forever since its happened.
I cant really tell you about the tone difference. The SF is personally owned and gets shot at an indoor range on a 16” gun. The KAC is issued and gets shot outside on an 11.5. It definitely sounds good though.
I think they’re both great cans but If its one or the other Id probably go with the KAC. Also no experience with the MAMS. We use the flash hider.

markm
11-02-19, 09:06
Pappabear got the KAC mini can on his Knights AR. The first thing I was playing with was removal after shooting on the first day out.

Definitely didn't act like it could stick on the mount, but we only had a hundred rounds or so through it. Very cool suppressor.

JoshNC
11-03-19, 11:58
QDC mount is slick and the cans are excellent, albeit costly. If you have the scratch, I highly recommend it. As for suppression, I personally don’t get too wrapped up in it. A rifle caliber can is not going to be hearing safe. Chasing dB reduction typically results in the high back pressure cans of AAC, SiCo, Gemtech, AWC, etc. Mount design, repeatability, and low back pressure are the most important attributes in a can IMO - KAC cans check off all those boxes.

NongShim
11-03-19, 17:26
Other than my rimfire cans, the KAC QDC gets more use than anything else. It’s so good it makes me hate my other cans. I’m tempted to eat all the money I’d lose from stamps and sell a bunch of crap cans to buy more KAC cans.

I get it, the price of admission is high, but boy do you get a lot for it. It isn’t even that “expensive” when I think that I have more money than another KAC can tied up in cans that I hate and never take out.

Pappabear
11-03-19, 18:07
Mine doesn't seem to carbon lock. Not months of rounds down range, but it seems like a brilliant design.

PB

Mr. Goodtimes
11-03-19, 22:08
My full size SOCOM II has not carbon locked... I just break it loose after a firing session and re mount. I'm sure if I left it on for months on end it would, but it takes all of 10 seconds to unlock it, pull it off and put it back on so...

That being said the only reason I bought a SOCOM II over a QDC was price... Brownells had a great black Friday sale last year and stacked with a first responder discount it was almost half the price of a QDC. I would not hesitate a second to purchase a QDC. Sound wise... don't be too autistic... it's a full size rifle can, they're all loud.

WS6
11-03-19, 23:29
Well, I bought one. I'll know more when the King's men and women allow me to know more.

R.O.U.S.
11-04-19, 12:07
Which model did you buy?

I'm rather lucky and got my stamp back for my 7.62 CRS in just a few months. I've been enjoying it on my SR25, and my 11.5" 5.56 pistol. There is a little gas that slips past the mount, but the can still comes off after multiple range sessions. I'm pretty happy with it.

WS6
11-04-19, 16:27
Which model did you buy?

I'm rather lucky and got my stamp back for my 7.62 CRS in just a few months. I've been enjoying it on my SR25, and my 11.5" 5.56 pistol. There is a little gas that slips past the mount, but the can still comes off after multiple range sessions. I'm pretty happy with it.

QDC 556 fullsize can

Mr. Goodtimes
11-04-19, 17:17
QDC 556 fullsize can

Peak Yeet. You won’t ragert it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
11-04-19, 17:42
QDC 556 fullsize can

Very cool. These KAC cans are nice.

11-04-19, 18:35
MAMS + QDC is bees knees.

TheChunkNorris
11-04-19, 20:46
I also have a NT4... that's one of my favorite cans.

Furbyballer
11-05-19, 05:55
Excellent decision. I have been saying I think the KAC cans, despite the money, are the best 556 cans on the market still today. My favorite for a 12.5 is the CQB but the full size will serve you well.

WS6
11-05-19, 08:19
Excellent decision. I have been saying I think the KAC cans, despite the money, are the best 556 cans on the market still today. My favorite for a 12.5 is the CQB but the full size will serve you well.

I know its gonna be heavier and longer, but I legit want more than my sf mini cans are doing for me, and I hear KAC cqb is kinda similar in dB, so I went full.

megamind
11-30-19, 15:17

Overall impressions?

The QDC is the best can/mount setup for semi autos, especially/obviously for SR15/SR30/SR25's

The 762 and 5.56 MAMS, respectively, are on a whole other level. Even the newer MAMS for the NT4, that replaced the Triple Tap is great.

The QDC on my M110k, my DSR25 with the CQB/DSR, the QDC/CQB on my rifle dynamics RD702, just to name a few are all mind boggling how well they throw the noise down range and have no blow back into my face. As well as minimal carbon build up (YMMV depending on your rifle platform).

Cody :cool:

megamind
11-30-19, 15:20
QDC mount is slick and the cans are excellent, albeit costly. If you have the scratch, I highly recommend it. As for suppression, I personally don’t get too wrapped up in it. A rifle caliber can is not going to be hearing safe. Chasing dB reduction typically results in the high back pressure cans of AAC, SiCo, Gemtech, AWC, etc. Mount design, repeatability, and low back pressure are the most important attributes in a can IMO - KAC cans check off all those boxes.

THIS^^^

megamind
11-30-19, 15:23
Other than my rimfire cans, the KAC QDC gets more use than anything else. It’s so good it makes me hate my other cans. I’m tempted to eat all the money I’d lose from stamps and sell a bunch of crap cans to buy more KAC cans.

I get it, the price of admission is high, but boy do you get a lot for it. It isn’t even that “expensive” when I think that I have more money than another KAC can tied up in cans that I hate and never take out.

That's what I'm working towards, aside from some niche builds that only accept one type of suppressor (like my OOW 240 SLR, and the AAC MG-SD cans). I've sold some, and working on selling 2 more to some friends and getting them into the NFA world. ;)

Pappabear
12-01-19, 11:15
QDC 556 fullsize can

Good move, if I had it to do over gain, I'd go with the full size for more hush hush. Mark on the other hand digs the mini as is, so clearly good cans either way its just a preference on what your priorities are. Congrats on the fine purchase.

PB

Wake27
12-01-19, 15:55
I want both but don't even want to pay for the MAMS yet.

Budget
12-01-19, 20:22
So I'm almost ready to pull the plug. I got a Sandman K already but really want the QDC to go with my KAC 11.5, Not sure which direction to go, mini or full.

12-02-19, 11:21
Not sure which direction to go, mini or full.

Full. Run them on my 11.5's and wouldn't change.

Pappabear
12-02-19, 19:18
So I'm almost ready to pull the plug. I got a Sandman K already but really want the QDC to go with my KAC 11.5, Not sure which direction to go, mini or full.

Brother please hear me, buy the full sized. I run the mini on a 16 inch KAC gun and its loud. On an 11.5, it will smoke your ears. KAC cans are great, but not known for their decibel reduction superiority. Cool factor off the charts, durability has no equal. Sound , buy the full sized.

PB

Budget
12-02-19, 19:32
6933 and PB, appreciate the input. Will be buying in 2020, so hopefully prices don't increase.

PB you're absolutely right about the cool factor, #1 rule of a gunfight is ya gotta look good doing it.

My main factor in getting a K can was blast reduction from an 11.5 and it helped a lot. More flash than anticipated however. I know KAC v Dead Air is kinda apples and...dilapidated oranges, but it's all I have right now.

I wear ear pro in conjunction with it as well. Still would be nice not to blow my ear balls out if I gotta grab it in a pinch.

Pappabear
12-02-19, 19:37
Yea, I have AACmini 4 can that I like, but I run them on nothing but 14.5+ guns. Everything under 14.5, gets a full sized gun. If you wear ear pro when you shoot even with a can, a mini KAC would work. Ive considered putting a mini on my HD gun because I want SOME shock value in rounds in mi casa. But I figure that any gun, any can is going to be loud inside. LOUD AND PROUD.

PB

Pappabear
12-02-19, 19:39
I want both but don't even want to pay for the MAMS yet.

Since I run 100% suppressed, I couldn't make myself buy the beloved MAMS, which made me tear up. I want that MAMS, but fck. Cost as much as some cans.

PB

12-02-19, 20:05
Since I run 100% suppressed, I couldn't make myself buy the beloved MAMS

Yeah, about that. You need a MAMS. You'll never rest easy until you have one. It will eat at you all day and night. Relentlessly. Starting when you read this.:jester:

Pappabear
12-03-19, 13:02
Yeah, about that. You need a MAMS. You'll never rest easy until you have one. It will eat at you all day and night. Relentlessly. Starting when you read this.:jester:

I wish someone would just send me one. I'm a nice guy and this is going to flare up my PTSD. 6933 is the devil.

PB

WS6
12-08-19, 02:16
Since I run 100% suppressed, I couldn't make myself buy the beloved MAMS, which made me tear up. I want that MAMS, but fck. Cost as much as some cans.

PB

Shaves a dB or two off the meter, too, vs the 3 prong, used ICW can. You're welcome, and thanks for letting me harm your finances, because now you're stuck on a path.

Pappabear
12-10-19, 00:14
I might just have to bite that bullet after a good check. Think Holiday sales. Off to the inter web.

edit, is it the mini mams?

PB

Wake27
12-10-19, 23:08
I might just have to bite that bullet after a good check. Think Holiday sales. Off to the inter web.

edit, is it the mini mams?

PB

https://www.knightarmco.com/12802/shop/signature-reduction/5-56mm-qdc-mams-muzzle-brake-kit-k

The cheapest I’ve ever seen them for is on TOS’ EE. The other day there was one that was still NIW for $250 shipped I believe. I would’ve jumped on it if I wasn’t waiting for a ton of back pay.

Pappabear
12-11-19, 09:46
Thanks, Operation Parts calls it Mini MAMS for no known reason. Its just MAMS. Same part number

PB

spensx
11-27-20, 10:24
Sorry to revive a dead thread. Newbie to the forum and to gun stuff.

I'm in the process of purchasing a few items and wanted some clarification on the MAMS. Is it a piece that gets welded onto the barrel or is it attached another way? And then the suppressor goes over it, correct? What are the advantages to using both together?

I guess it also helps to ask what muzzle device comes already on a KAC rifle? I'm assuming that particular muzzle device is also QDC ready ?

Wake27
11-27-20, 11:43
Sorry to revive a dead thread. Newbie to the forum and to gun stuff.

I'm in the process of purchasing a few items and wanted some clarification on the MAMS. Is it a piece that gets welded onto the barrel or is it attached another way? And then the suppressor goes over it, correct? What are the advantages to using both together?

I guess it also helps to ask what muzzle device comes already on a KAC rifle? I'm assuming that particular muzzle device is also QDC ready ?

QDC is their mount system. KAC has two current 5.56 QDC mounts plus some legacy NT4 mounts (not compatible). The current ones are the QDC 3-prong flash eliminator kit (https://www.knightarmco.com/12813/shop/signature-reduction/muzzle-devices/12-28/556mm-qdc-flash-eliminator-kit) that comes on factory rifles and uppers and the MAMS (https://www.knightarmco.com/12802/shop/signature-reduction/muzzle-devices/12-28/5-56mm-qdc-mams-muzzle-brake-kit-k).

Both will work with KAC's current line of 5.56 QDC cans. The MAMS has benefits over the 3 prong when used with the suppressor - muzzle brakes act as a sacrificial baffle which means they take some of the abuse of the round instead of the can (don't ask me how) and has been reported here to be maybe slightly quieter than the 3 prong. Unsuppressed, I'd probably judge it off of barrel length. The MAMS definitely has muzzle break features so its louder and produces more muzzle flash than the the 3-prong. I wouldn't put it on a dedicated HD gun or anything shorter than 14.5, maybe 12.5 without a can.

GSPatton
11-27-20, 14:11
The cost of some of KAC's muzzle devices is not that far off some decent cans. I know KAC has some game-changing features in their SR-15/16 and SR-25 designs that justifies the price premium, but I'd like to see what their cans do that their competition's more reasonably priced cans do not.

Wake27
11-27-20, 14:14
The cost of some of KAC's muzzle devices is not that far off some decent cans. I know KAC has some game-changing features in their SR-15/16 and SR-25 designs that justifies the price premium, but I'd like to see what their cans do that their competition's more reasonably priced cans do not.

What decent can is close to $300? KAC cans are known for having a deep tone, low back pressure, and one of the best mounting systems as far as POI shift and carbon lock.

spensx
11-27-20, 17:41
Hey Wake,

I guess my main question is, what am I missing out on if I don't get the MAMS? I plan on getting whatever muzzle device I end up with pin n welded.

TheChunkNorris
11-27-20, 18:29
Hey Wake,

I guess my main question is, what am I missing out on if I don't get the MAMS? I plan on getting whatever muzzle device I end up with pin n welded.

MAMS is just a muzzle brake and better for suppressed shooting for shorter barrels.

Pappabear
11-27-20, 18:37
I ended up sucking it up and buying a MAMS and its the best brake / adapter I have on any gun. Running without a can is crazy, the gun doesn't budge. I wouldn't buy a MINI version of the QDC for a shorty, my mini is loud on a 16 inch SR15. I'd get the full sized 556 KAC can. Just my .02. But I'd get it.

If you will run the gun suppressed 100% of the time, maybe the MAMS is not needed. I do think it did quiet the gun a bit moving to the MAMS though so...

PB

TheChunkNorris
11-27-20, 18:50
I ended up sucking it up and buying a MAMS and its the best brake / adapter I have on any gun. Running without a can is crazy, the gun doesn't budge. I wouldn't buy a MINI version of the QDC for a shorty, my mini is loud on a 16 inch SR15. I'd get the full sized 556 KAC can. Just my .02. But I'd get it.

If you will run the gun suppressed 100% of the time, maybe the MAMS is not needed. I do think it did quiet the gun a bit moving to the MAMS though so...

PB

I have a 762CQB QDC that I use for 300blk Subs... works pretty well.

spensx
11-27-20, 20:06
What decent can is close to $300? KAC cans are known for having a deep tone, low back pressure, and one of the best mounting systems as far as POI shift and carbon lock.

MAMS is just a muzzle brake and better for suppressed shooting for shorter barrels.

Thanks, gents!

spensx
11-27-20, 22:38

PB
Can I p/w the MAMS on a 14.5 in barrel? Worthwhile? I plan to shoot unsuppressed also.

And how are the cans with blowback? Better than most? Bad?

Thanks in advance

Wake27
11-28-20, 01:03
Can I p/w the MAMS on a 14.5 in barrel? Worthwhile? I plan to shoot unsuppressed also.

Thanks in advance

Absolutely, d. wilson did mine about three weeks ago. The MAMS does keep the gun incredibly flat.

The cans have a good reputation for having minimal blowback but my personal experience is limited to two mag dumps years ago so I’m mostly going off of what other people say. I finally found one in stock and ordered my first two weeks ago but I’m not even sure if the form 3 to transfer it to my LGS has been approved yet so it’s got a ways to go.

TheChunkNorris
11-28-20, 12:45
Absolutely, d. wilson did mine about three weeks ago. The MAMS does keep the gun incredibly flat.

The cans have a good reputation for having minimal blowback but my personal experience is limited to two mag dumps years ago so I’m mostly going off of what other people say. I finally found one in stock and ordered my first two weeks ago but I’m not even sure if the form 3 to transfer it to my LGS has been approved yet so it’s got a ways to go.

The QDC line are fantastic cans. I don’t have a 556 QDC and have a NT4 but also have a full sized 762 QDC. Absolutely worth the money.

w3453l
11-28-20, 13:39
I'm really tempted to jump on a QDC, but not sure if I should just wait for the new PRT cans to be released.

Wake27
11-28-20, 15:20
I'm really tempted to jump on a QDC, but not sure if I should just wait for the new PRT cans to be released.

That was my plan initially but between the great and continuing panic of 2020 and the fact that they’re heavier, I figured I may as well get at least one as soon as I can.

w3453l
11-28-20, 16:28
That was my plan initially but between the great and continuing panic of 2020 and the fact that they’re heavier, I figured I may as well get at least one as soon as I can.

Yeah the weight increase gave me pause, but originally was going to get the CQB PRT for my 11.5 mod 2 (which even with the slight weight increase of the PRT I think it brought the weight to about equal of the non-PRT full-size QDC). Now rereading this thread I'm seeing everyone going with full-size QDC for the shorter barrels.

I guess it wouldn't be bad to just go for the full size QDC for the 11.5 now, and then get a PRT CQB for my 14.5...

I haven't really been looking at inventory of cans during this panic, but I figured NFA items were a little less effected by the stupidity. I could be wrong, but just figured the people that buy cans would be a little more cool-headed with how these panics go. Even if Biden's NFA wet dream were to become a reality I don't think they could really do much about current suppressors and SBRs. I mean what are they going to do, make them extra NFA?

Pappabear
11-28-20, 20:27

Thanks in advance

The blow back is not bad, better than most even though they are coming out with Reduced Blowback cans down the road. I suspect because OSS won that army contract with HK 7.62 gun with their RBB can. If you plan to run partially unsuppressed, get the MAMS, it so impressive. KAC gear is GTG.

PB

GSPatton
11-29-20, 03:48

$300? None. But KAC cans run well over $1400 iirc. Even Surefire cans sell for less, not to mention Griffin, Rugged, Dead Air, etc. YHM make pretty decent stuff apparently too, as I am sure other makers do. All of them have some pretty good QD options.

11-29-20, 06:58
$300? None. But KAC cans run well over $1400 iirc. Even Surefire cans sell for less, not to mention Griffin, Rugged, Dead Air, etc. YHM make pretty decent stuff apparently too, as I am sure other makers do. All of them have some pretty good QD options.

YHM Turbo K is $375 and Rex Silentium MG7k is $450 ($315 in their Oct sale), and they are really cool cans, and YHM has one of the best QD sysems. But neither are comparable to KAC cans, and fulfill a different role.

Griffin is not as durable as KAC. I know little about Rugged, except that the Radiant seems cool. Dead Air is not quite on KAC’s level, but seems to be very close, for much less money. Of course, they outsource their manufacturing.

That said, the QDC is a little too rich for my blood at this time. I enjoy my Griffin, YHM, and Rex rifle cans.

GSPatton
11-29-20, 09:09
YHM Turbo K is $375 and Rex Silentium MG7k is $450 ($315 in their Oct sale), and they are really cool cans, and YHM has one of the best QD sysems. But neither are comparable to KAC cans, and fulfill a different role.

Griffin is not as durable as KAC. I know little about Rugged, except that the Radiant seems cool. Dead Air is not quite on KAC’s level, but seems to be very close, for much less money. Of course, they outsource their manufacturing.

That said, the QDC is a little too rich for my blood at this time. I enjoy my Griffin, YHM, and Rex rifle cans.

I haven't heard/seen and Griffin cans wearing out (not saying that they can't but it would take a lot of rounds to do that, and that applies for KAC cans too I imagine). I'm open to being convinced either way. I realize that destructive testing of cans is not something typical end users would do, given the price of the cans, the $200 tax stamp, and the costs of ammo obviously.

11-29-20, 09:43
I haven't heard/seen and Griffin cans wearing out (not saying that they can't but it would take a lot of rounds to do that, and that applies for KAC cans too I imagine). I'm open to being convinced either way. I realize that destructive testing of cans is not something typical end users would do, given the price of the cans, the $200 tax stamp, and the costs of ammo obviously.

As a guy that owns a M4SDk (and 30SDk in jail), and has used the NT4 professionally, I can say for certain the NT4’s blast baffle is more wear resistant than the M4SDk, even when abused more severely. Whether that matters for most users, or at all, is something I cannot say. What I can say is that my M4SDk still sounds good, but the blast baffle can now fit a 6.5mm projectile, and the second baffle is also enlarged. Its been shot quite a bit, obviously, and spends most of its time on an 11.3” with a brake now. I doubt it’ll ever wear to the point of significant performance degradation, since the wear seems to have stopped, but it is obvious that KAC NT4 cans are more durable. I’ve used those on Mk46’s with flash hiders, as well as M4a1’s and Mk18’s, also with flash hiders.

The M4SDk is much cheaper and fits my use better than a NT4 or QDC, but that does not mean it is closely comparable.

Wake27
11-29-20, 10:15

Yeah but your original point was that some KAC muzzle devices are close in price to decent cans, which I disagree with.

TheChunkNorris
11-29-20, 11:52
As a guy that owns a M4SDk (and 30SDk in jail), and has used the NT4 professionally, I can say for certain the NT4’s blast baffle is more wear resistant than the M4SDk, even when abused more severely. Whether that matters for most users, or at all, is something I cannot say. What I can say is that my M4SDk still sounds good, but the blast baffle can now fit a 6.5mm projectile, and the second baffle is also enlarged. Its been shot quite a bit, obviously, and spends most of its time on an 11.3” with a brake now. I doubt it’ll ever wear to the point of significant performance degradation, since the wear seems to have stopped, but it is obvious that KAC NT4 cans are more durable. I’ve used those on Mk46’s with flash hiders, as well as M4a1’s and Mk18’s, also with flash hiders.

The M4SDk is much cheaper and fits my use better than a NT4 or QDC, but that does not mean it is closely comparable.

I think this is the most realistic and fair posts regarding real world use and what someone is willing to get for themselves.