PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with this?

26 Inf
11-02-19, 02:15
Earlier today, after reading a post Diamondback made in the good deals thread, I ordered a couple of bolts from Arm Or Ally. my first order with them.

Their website accepted my card and generated an order number.

Tonight, when I opened my email I got this:

You have received a message from Arm or Ally

Your order is currently on hold because we require some additional verification you are the actual cardholder. This is similar to a cashier ensuring you are the card holder by requesting to see an ID.

1. A screenshot of the credit card used for your purchase. The image must show ONLY THE LAST 4 DIGITS and NAME.
2. A screenshot of your drivers license or other govt. issued ID showing your NAME and ADDRESS.

Simply place your ID over the credit card numbers so that only the 4 digits are visible.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for cooperation in helping us stop fraudulent purchases and the use of stolen credit cards.

Best Regards,
Customer Service Team
Arm or Ally

What do you think? This has never happened to me before, is it a scam?

FWIW the card I used is a Cabela's Black which gets paid off every billing cycle.

Diamondback
11-02-19, 02:22
Curious, they've never done that to me, even though my billing/shipping addresses differ and I use a debit card.

They burn you, they lose me too, and I've been a pretty loyal customer.

arptsprt
11-02-19, 07:31
My guess is it is legit but I personally wouldn’t comply. I’d cancel my order and shop somewhere else.

There are other ways companies “verify” these things without invading your privacy like this.

I’m not trying to sound condescending here, but did you verify the email address to confirm it’s really them? I get spam emails all the time from what appear to be legit places I do business with asking for additional information etc, but when you research the email address, it’s spam address. I don’t think that’s the case here but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duece71
11-02-19, 07:57
Call them.

SomeOtherGuy
11-02-19, 09:35
Never had this. Call them if you still want the items.

FWIW, Cabela's credit card has the fraud monitoring turned up to 11. It did pre-Capital One (as Cabela's owned Foremost Bank) and it still seems to now. My Cabela's card gets declined without reason a few times a year, in places as mundane as the gas station I use three times every month for the last several years. It's never over the limit or anything, they just have some system that declines it often based on the slightest whiff of fraud, or maybe just randomly. PITA. Oddly though my Cabela's card has historically also been the one that gets the number stolen, with the card never having left my possession, so I end up getting a new Cabela's card number every 1-2 years because of that. This has not happened with any of my other CCs. Their CS has zero explanation for this but just sends me a new card as it happens.

pstk5088
11-02-19, 09:47
I have had similar experiences with my Cabelas black card. Never leaves my possession, but it has been replaced three times since having it because of fraudulent charges. I would also call Arm or Ally, never had that happen in my dealings with them. Please keep this updated though, they'll lose my business as well if they do you wrong.

Diamondback
11-02-19, 11:02
Worth noting that most companies, including BCM, explicitly reserve the right to require verification like this as part of their terms of sale. In my experience it's seldom exercised, but it is asserted.

chadbag
11-02-19, 14:11
I've seen it a few times. Never dealt with this vendor. Unfortunately, if there is fraud, vendors usually are the ones to lose. The banks and processors will seldom take responsbility, even though their checks all said it was GTG. So they are often extra careful as a small vendor can't take the financial loss of fraud, chargebacks, etc.

SteyrAUG
11-02-19, 14:48
Call them.

Yep, find out if it's a spoofed email or not. If not give them what they need over the phone.

Diamondback
11-02-19, 17:23
26, I just DM'ed you a known-good email for them. If it doesn't match, I'd go to their website and open a support ticket and let 'em know they have a breach.

ViniVidivici
11-02-19, 20:09
I say email, or better yet call. Sounds wierd, but I've dealt with them twice, great service and communication, super fast processing and shipping. Debit card, FWIW.

26 Inf
11-02-19, 23:32
Never had this. Call them if you still want the items.

FWIW, Cabela's credit card has the fraud monitoring turned up to 11. It did pre-Capital One (as Cabela's owned Foremost Bank) and it still seems to now. My Cabela's card gets declined without reason a few times a year, in places as mundane as the gas station I use three times every month for the last several years. It's never over the limit or anything, they just have some system that declines it often based on the slightest whiff of fraud, or maybe just randomly. PITA. Oddly though my Cabela's card has historically also been the one that gets the number stolen, with the card never having left my possession, so I end up getting a new Cabela's card number every 1-2 years because of that. This has not happened with any of my other CCs. Their CS has zero explanation for this but just sends me a new card as it happens.

This has also been my experience - since the chipped cards came out.

I noted when I read the email they sent that they didn't say Cabela's/Capital One had not approved the transaction.

26 Inf
11-03-19, 00:15
Got a little ahead of myself on the above reply. I checked my PM's and my email.

Apparently Cabela's put the hold on my card because my address was missing the -5555 after the zip code. They have done the same in the past because I didn't put my street address EXACTLY as it appears on my billing statements - for instance spelling out East instead of 'E.'

Not too upset, things happen, like getting up at oh dark thirty to drive two hundred miles to see your team get it's ass handed to it by a damn ag college, and then having to drive back two hundred miles afterwards.