PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: Dark Fate (Review)

WillBrink
11-03-19, 16:50
Linda Hamilton and Arnold are back together in this latest installment of the franchise. The movie is full of modern all inclusive woke-ness which gets annoying, dialogue is awful, ending is predictable and rehashed from 100 prior movies. Hamilton can't act her way out of a paper bag, and it's almost 200m worth of over produced meh. Seeing Arnold return as the original terminator has some fun moments, the visuals and action are good, and the new hybrid lady not-a-terminator-but-sort-is, played by Mackenzie Davis does a good job of what she's given. Watchable on rental but no apparant effort made to do anything remotely original in this one. C+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo

dpb1776
11-03-19, 16:57
Saw it when it Thursday I liked it. It could have done without some of the current social BS but I enjoyed watching it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
11-03-19, 17:42
Get woke - go broke

rushca01
11-03-19, 19:06
I logged in hoping you would have a review. I saw it Friday because I can’t pass up a terminator movie especially seeing as it is supposed to be a direct sequel to T2. I thought it was decent, the hybrid was cool. There were plot holes....my first thought was why doesn’t the Rev 9 just use a drone...and alas he does but not very wisely.

I didn’t feel it was as “woke” as everyone keeps saying..meh.

m1a_scoutguy
11-03-19, 19:53
Yea, action good, deleting/killing John Conner not so good! :suicide: Agree some funny stuff,action very good and yea the "enhanced" fighter kinda cool,,BUT because I'm a geek and think about this crap,,WTF does she need Meds because she gets tired fast,but in the end they rip out her power sorce so they can kill the new Terminator,when I thought about that I was yea,right,,kinda lame. Oh well went with my Son & 14 year old grandson and we had fun,,so basic Family time/fun mission accomplished !

WillBrink
11-04-19, 12:43
The movie is bombing it appears. Per my review, not real surprised, and of course for people under say 40-ish, Arnold is just not a ticket seller any more and few remember Hamilton at all, so...

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-flop-1203391309/

elephant
11-04-19, 13:00
I thought Sarah Conner died in 1997 in Mexico and her friends scattered her ashes in the sea?

SteyrAUG
11-04-19, 16:45
I thought Sarah Conner died in 1997 in Mexico and her friends scattered her ashes in the sea?

No kidding. With Terminator I was done by 3. Same with Rambo, Rocky, Predator and Alien movies. They should just stop already. Glad they only messed with Blade Runner the one time (director cuts notwithstanding) and Carpenter's "The Thing" wasn't ever remade even though it was a remake of a 1950s film.

ramairthree
11-04-19, 17:42
The Terminator was a ground breaking film with a fresh idea and a new twist on robots, time travel, and the apocalypse. With a fantastically stretched budget. Casting was laser accurate. 1980s Arnold as the deadly, emotionless, nigh unstoppable robot. A young, clueless, in over her head young woman just scraping by. Instead of some cover/fitness model hero we had a guy really pulling of the mind scarred, barely surviving future soldier.

T2 was fantastic in its own right. Young John was a poor choice and a barely tolerable character. After Hamilton had nailed Sarah in the first movie, I was in awe of her acting ability as she transformed into a chainsmoking, survivalist, psych case. It was well done, and as cool as the effects were I was dismayed they broke the law of that universe, sending back tech not covered in living flesh.

I was OK with T3. The casting seemed even more off. The antagonist was interesting, it had a decent twist.

And I have found it to be just worsening since.

I have come to realize Hamilton was not a very good actress. She literally was clueless and in over her head in the first movie, and literally was a chain smoking psyc case by the second.

I have similar thoughts about the Alien franchise, Predator franchise, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, etc.

The only reboot I want to see opens with Space Force, a new service, with its own new Tier One assault force, arrive in really cool new space marine type exosuits on a deserted island to test their new equipment. Things are going perfectly. The space force unit is very woke. It is commanded by Colonel Jenny Matrix. Then they find some weird alien vault and a swarm of Aliens come out and start hatching and doing their alien stuff. Things should have been fine, but their prototype suits have issues and they whole unit is in dire straights and going to be massacred.

In this movie universe Dutch and Matrix are the same guy, the Terminator flesh shell was based off of him. They also have a powered down captured Terminator. They have also decoded part of the functions of captured Predator ship remnants. Dutch, the Terminator powered back up and programmed to kill aliens, a pair of predators that show up when they activate the help me kill some aliens distress call they decoded, a prototype one shot combat model synthetic human, a similar replicant, and the shamed, guilty designer of the exosuits now wearing a different model that makes him look suspiciously like Robocop, are rapidly assembled as the best Hail Mary team to rescue the space force guys and eradicate the aliens before they get off the island and cause the extinction of mankind.

If Jean Claude and Dolph can get added in as universal soldiers I am cool with that.

Things are looking good, they have won, the rescue a success and hordes of dead aliens surround them. Then, after the thrill of victory, and everyone incapacitated or dead, they note a couple aliens have escaped, they can’t get to them, and all is lost. They see a boat off the coast and make contact.

Murtaugh and Riggs, who have somehow met McClane, have chartered a fishing trip. A loner who has left land for life as a solo captain, also old, is always mumbling shit like “they drew first blood” and “you gotta become war”, and keeps trying to get them to blowfish. And has a weird massive fillet knife. They are nearby on a boat on a fishing trip. Despite all four totally being too old for this shit, they get in on it and intercept the aliens swimming away. An M60, bow with explosive arrows, big knife, model 19, and couple of Berettas are employed and they succeed.

The woke space force unit is perfectly woke and selection based on fairness, equality, quotas, etc. selection is based on whether you identify as a tier one operator and if there is a slot. All training is training, not a course you have to pass.

With their failure based on that, plus the shitty malfunctions based on a similar woke R&D and production of their suits,

The movies then becomes a brutal kill fest of no social or redeeming value without an ounce progressive bull shit.

11-05-19, 07:16
RamAir, have you seen this?

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/the-damn-few-episode-16-starship-sealy/

mack7.62
11-05-19, 08:46
The Terminator was a ground breaking film with a fresh idea and a new twist on robots, time travel, and the apocalypse. With a fantastically stretched budget. Casting was laser accurate. 1980s Arnold as the deadly, emotionless, nigh unstoppable robot. A young, clueless, in over her head young woman just scraping by. Instead of some cover/fitness model hero we had a guy really pulling of the mind scarred, barely surviving future soldier.

You know they wanted to cast Arnold as Kyle so they tried to screw it up, after reading the script he decided he was a better fit as the Terminator. Of course that might have had to do with the fact that Kyle gets killed off, Arnold had good business sense about things like that.

NWPilgrim
11-05-19, 12:04

T2 was fantastic in its own right. Young John was a poor choice and a barely tolerable character. After Hamilton had nailed Sarah in the first movie, I was in awe of her acting ability as she transformed into a chainsmoking, survivalist, psych case. It was well done, and as cool as the effects were I was dismayed they broke the law of that universe, sending back tech not covered in living flesh.

I was OK with T3. The casting seemed even more off. The antagonist was interesting, it had a decent twist.

And I have found it to be just worsening since.

I have come to realize Hamilton was not a very good actress. She literally was clueless and in over her head in the first movie, and literally was a chain smoking psyc case by the second.

I have similar thoughts about the Alien franchise, Predator franchise, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, etc.

The only reboot I want to see opens with Space Force, a new service, with its own new Tier One assault force, arrive in really cool new space marine type exosuits on a deserted island to test their new equipment. Things are going perfectly. The space force unit is very woke. It is commanded by Colonel Jenny Matrix. Then they find some weird alien vault and a swarm of Aliens come out and start hatching and doing their alien stuff. Things should have been fine, but their prototype suits have issues and they whole unit is in dire straights and going to be massacred.

In this movie universe Dutch and Matrix are the same guy, the Terminator flesh shell was based off of him. They also have a powered down captured Terminator. They have also decoded part of the functions of captured Predator ship remnants. Dutch, the Terminator powered back up and programmed to kill aliens, a pair of predators that show up when they activate the help me kill some aliens distress call they decoded, a prototype one shot combat model synthetic human, a similar replicant, and the shamed, guilty designer of the exosuits now wearing a different model that makes him look suspiciously like Robocop, are rapidly assembled as the best Hail Mary team to rescue the space force guys and eradicate the aliens before they get off the island and cause the extinction of mankind.

If Jean Claude and Dolph can get added in as universal soldiers I am cool with that.

Things are looking good, they have won, the rescue a success and hordes of dead aliens surround them. Then, after the thrill of victory, and everyone incapacitated or dead, they note a couple aliens have escaped, they can’t get to them, and all is lost. They see a boat off the coast and make contact.

Murtaugh and Riggs, who have somehow met McClane, have chartered a fishing trip. A loner who has left land for life as a solo captain, also old, is always mumbling shit like “they drew first blood” and “you gotta become war”, and keeps trying to get them to blowfish. And has a weird massive fillet knife. They are nearby on a boat on a fishing trip. Despite all four totally being too old for this shit, they get in on it and intercept the aliens swimming away. An M60, bow with explosive arrows, big knife, model 19, and couple of Berettas are employed and they succeed.

The woke space force unit is perfectly woke and selection based on fairness, equality, quotas, etc. selection is based on whether you identify as a tier one operator and if there is a slot. All training is training, not a course you have to pass.

With their failure based on that, plus the shitty malfunctions based on a similar woke R&D and production of their suits,

The movies then becomes a brutal kill fest of no social or redeeming value without an ounce progressive bull shit.

Wow, I was just about to write exactly the same thing! You beat me to it. [emoji1]

prdubi
11-05-19, 12:09
I liked it....

Don't care ...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sapper36
11-05-19, 19:53
Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I liked that they ignored all of the stuff after T2. The Mexico scene was pretty good with the computer enhancements (where John gets shot). Took me back to high school sorta. I agree that the acting by Hamilton was pretty bad. However the fact that she was in it was the only reason I went to see it. I feel that most movies these days are just going for the over the top action stuff with no real original ideas, and this one was the same. In the future scenes when the leader was repetitively referred to as "commander" was to obvious that they were trying to stay gender neutral.

Overall a run of the mill action flick. Again if it was anything other than a real part three, I would have waited for it to come out on tv

rushca01
11-05-19, 20:22
Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I liked that they ignored all of the stuff after T2. The Mexico scene was pretty good with the computer enhancements (where John gets shot). Took me back to high school sorta. I agree that the acting by Hamilton was pretty bad. However the fact that she was in it was the only reason I went to see it. I feel that most movies these days are just going for the over the top action stuff with no real original ideas, and this one was the same. In the future scenes when the leader was repetitively referred to as "commander" was to obvious that they were trying to stay gender neutral.

Overall a run of the mill action flick. Again if it was anything other than a real part three, I would have waited for it to come out on tv

I agree, not bad and the MX scene was pretty cool honestly. I remember babysitting the neighbors kids and firing up his laserdisc to watch T2.

bjw182005
11-05-19, 22:27
Spoiler Alert:

If nothing else, this movie shows that 3 badass, independent, don't need no man, warrior women, STILL need a man (Arnold) to save the day.....

ramairthree
11-06-19, 09:10
RamAir, have you seen this?

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/the-damn-few-episode-16-starship-sealy/

I had never seen the site.

Drenched with humor, covered in jokes, and delivered with sarcasm and a side of profanity-
A meal of truth has been placed on the table.

sgtrock82
11-08-19, 17:33
I agree, not bad and the MX scene was pretty cool honestly. I remember babysitting the neighbors kids and firing up his laserdisc to watch T2.I remember when T2 hit the store shelves, on VHS it was around $100. That still seems incredible. I forget what movies cost back then, I just remember that owning real copies of movies wasnt all that common.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Firefly
10-12-20, 13:07
I actually watched this on HooLoo last night and as a Terminator movie it sucks chode.

But as a basic movie it was entertaining. I have a total crush on Mackenzie Davis. A Six foot tall Amazon? Oh YES.

It didn’t really strike me as SJW. Just same crap different movie. The Arnie jokes were kinda lame. Seeing Sarah Connor be a bitchy mean old lady was actually kinda fun. The little Mexican girl looked like some chick they found at a local Mexican Restaurant in a good and bad way.

Killing off John Connor was a dick move. Making a T-800 who should have been realistically the same as the 1984 into a family man was dumb. Why not make it like they track down Human Arnie to have him help fight? That would’ve been more interesting. We ALL know T-800 is based of Dutch Schafer AKA John Matrix. Shit even give Alyssa Milano and Rae Dawn Chong cameo parts as wife and kid as a little subtle “we know you know”

The Rev 9 looks like every Hispanic GI ever which was actually sorta clever.

I feel like if they changed a few things around or didn’t call it a terminator movie that it would have done a lot better.

I wouldn’t pay to watch it but it’s a’ight. I got to see Mackenzie Davis nekkid.

And I liked her character. She wasn’t butch. She was fairly feminine and kinda uncertain about stuff. She wasn’t bitchy. Like I wanted to give her a hug and rub her feet.

The Mexican girl can go bend a taco though.

Sarah Connor was bitchy but she was old so she is allowed.

It ended with T2 for me but I got to see Mackenzie Davis nekkid so it gets a C-

Slater
10-12-20, 14:34
Sarah Connor 1984 vs Sarah Connor 2019. Aging is inevitable but it really sucks.

sundance435
10-12-20, 15:03
I actually watched this on HooLoo last night and as a Terminator movie it sucks chode.

But as a basic movie it was entertaining. I have a total crush on Mackenzie Davis. A Six foot tall Amazon? Oh YES.

It didn’t really strike me as SJW. Just same crap different movie. The Arnie jokes were kinda lame. Seeing Sarah Connor be a bitchy mean old lady was actually kinda fun. The little Mexican girl looked like some chick they found at a local Mexican Restaurant in a good and bad way.

I wouldn’t pay to watch it but it’s a’ight. I got to see Mackenzie Davis nekkid.

And I liked her character. She wasn’t butch. She was fairly feminine and kinda uncertain about stuff. She wasn’t bitchy. Like I wanted to give her a hug and rub her feet.

Seriously, Mackenzie Davis. I've had a giant crush on her since "Halt and Catch Fire".

I'm probably in the minority, but I generally like "Salvation" because it was post-apocalypse. But why can't they just give us what every Terminator fan has ever wanted, which is a movie that takes place mostly in the future we were teased in 1 and 2? Yeah, I want to watch the actual creation of Skynet and the time machine thing, and the Resistance battling its way in, a la "Rogue One" (Genisys does not even come close to counting).

Firefly
10-12-20, 15:31
Seriously, Mackenzie Davis. I've had a giant crush on her since "Halt and Catch Fire".

I'm probably in the minority, but I generally like "Salvation" because it was post-apocalypse. But why can't they just give us what every Terminator fan has ever wanted, which is a movie that takes place mostly in the future we were teased in 1 and 2? Yeah, I want to watch the actual creation of Skynet and the time machine thing, and the Resistance battling its way in, a la "Rogue One" (Genisys does not even come close to counting).

I’m one of these dungeon dwelling trolls who like Salvation too. It’s like the Day of the Dead of the Terminator series. Not as original as the first nor as epic as the second but a nice, gritty entry that is profane and bitter.

If I were going to show the Terminator series to someone who knew absolutely nothing about it. I would show them T1 then Salvation then T2. And that’s all the Terminator worth watching and it even still keeps the vibe. My only gripe is that Christian Bale was sorta miscast. The heart transplant was kinda dumb. But everything else was awesome. The scenery looked bleak. The weapons were more believable (I guess lazers hadn’t been made yet) the T-600s looked like something from a Simon Bisley drawing and Anton Yelchin (PBUH) actually looked and kinda sounded like Michael Biehn.

It was like a Dark Horse comic come to life.

T3 had an interesting ending but was ultimately the gayest Terminator ever made with Genisys a close second.

Dark Fate wasn’t great but it didn’t make me want to kick puppies at a cancer kid’s birthday party like Genisys

arptsprt
10-12-20, 16:21
Pretty much sums it up for me too... Movie ok, Mac Davis, good.

But Fly, IMNHO, the Amazon by which all Amazon’s are to be measured is Gal Gadot... For the love of all things Amazon, Gal Gadot...

Firefly
10-12-20, 17:00
On paper, I should like Gal Gadot

I mean...

Brunette, Tall, OG-107s, probably shot some haji somewhere, rich...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/3f/72/4d3f7258477d7ef791f5f84e4bf5858b.jpg

But Mackenzie Davis just looks like someone I could whine to about my problems at 0300 drunk as shit off Stoli and she wouldn’t judge or try to fix it; just listen and let me get it out of my system.

https://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/Mackenzie+Davis+Updos+Half+Up+Half+Down+PyvgkLYqaRvx.jpg

Like she would be the one handling PTA meetings and making sure Christmas is happy and warm. Really supportive.

My time is far to sacrosanct to be bothered but she looks helpful. Like she wouldn’t bitch much at me.

Plus part of me still likes to believe she actually cares about 8-bit computers and punk rock

https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/shared/npr/styles/x_large/nprshared/201805/410331373.jpg

If we were living in Bible days I could have both. But if forced to choose I pick the one who seems more nurturing.

Now to be fair, I’m sure Gal Gadot is probably nice and nurturing. Maybe moreso but she just doesn’t hit that chord.

And this is coming from someone totally not into blondes.

I dunno man.

jpmuscle
10-12-20, 18:51
You will not speak I’ll of my future wife Gal like that.

I will smiff and western you

titsonritz
10-12-20, 21:19
On paper, I should like Gal Gadot

I mean...

Brunette, Tall, OG-107s, probably shot some haji somewhere, rich...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/3f/72/4d3f7258477d7ef791f5f84e4bf5858b.jpg

Gal looks a lot like Jennifer Connelly in that picture, another drop dead gorgeous gal.

joedirt199
10-13-20, 08:34
So this is just like rambo last blood, john wick 3, and all the other drawn out too far sequels? I am just too critical now days to waste time on a movie I can't get into. Everything has to be so far over the top and unbelievable to keep this new generations attention. Sucks when I can't even get 10 mins into a movie and shut it off cause I know it will suck the rest of the way. Atleast I didn't waste movie ticket prices to walk out.

prdubi
10-13-20, 11:06
I liked it..

It was entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grand58742
10-13-20, 11:20

Salvation was probably as close as we could come to that. To me, that movie had the potential to be extremely kick ass and I loved the fact they were using A-10s to tear the Machines a new a-hole. I thought Sam Worthington made an acceptable "Terminator," but wasn't buying Anton Yelchin as a young(er) Kyle Reese. Christian Bale was... plausible as a John Connor.

There really was an entire trilogy they could have made off that without introducing a "Terminator" into the mix. Just the War Against the Machines and John Connor's rise to lead the resistance rather than playing with the time travel aspect.

ETA: Moon Bloodgood certainly catches the attention for "kick ass females in the Terminator franchise."

titsonritz
10-13-20, 12:51
Kristanna Loken made a smoking Terminator babe, too.

Firefly
10-13-20, 13:08
Nobody is doubting Kristanna Loken who was the only reason to watch T3 aside from the M1919 and the epic The Day After style ending.

https://compareceleb.com/uploads/posts/2018-11/1542892498_kristanna-loken-height-weight-body-measurements.jpg

I mean she looks like on of them Super Aryan Nazi Girls from Wolfenstein with gold Lugers or like she could have been an Amazon Warrior like Red Sonja who pisses on men to assert dominance.

I mean I cannot fault the actresses. They are all tall and I would totally knock the books out of their hand at school to let them know I liked them.

But the writing of these movies was TERRIBLE. Seriously the Dark Horse comics were better.

I still like Salvation and Moon Bloodgood was likewise not bad. Like she was some kinda oriental but also 6 foot tall

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Moon_Bloodgood_at_Kirtland_AFB_during_filming_of_Terminator_Salvation_2008-07-18.JPG/682px-Moon_Bloodgood_at_Kirtland_AFB_during_filming_of_Terminator_Salvation_2008-07-18.JPG

And she bombed robots with an A-10. I mean again they have these quality actresses but the writing is bad.

I still maintain Anton Yelchin was a good Reese and Chekhov. You cannot convince me otherwise.

It also angers me that these movies have pretty diverse actresses who are 6 foot or better and all I ever come across in the world are pissants.

Grand58742
10-13-20, 13:47
I still like Salvation and Moon Bloodgood was likewise not bad. Like she was some kinda oriental but also 6 foot tall

She's half Korean.

sundance435
10-13-20, 14:32
Salvation was probably as close as we could come to that. To me, that movie had the potential to be extremely kick ass and I loved the fact they were using A-10s to tear the Machines a new a-hole. I thought Sam Worthington made an acceptable "Terminator," but wasn't buying Anton Yelchin as a young(er) Kyle Reese. Christian Bale was... plausible as a John Connor.

There really was an entire trilogy they could have made off that without introducing a "Terminator" into the mix. Just the War Against the Machines and John Connor's rise to lead the resistance rather than playing with the time travel aspect.

ETA: Moon Bloodgood certainly catches the attention for "kick ass females in the Terminator franchise."

I think that was the original intent with "Salvation" - a new spinoff series. As soon as they chose McG and neutered it to PG-13 I knew that wasn't going to happen. It didn't bomb at the box office, but it wasn't a huge hit, either...again, McG and PG-13. Moon Bloodgood...good LAWD. Also a fan.

mrbieler
10-17-20, 19:09
I enjoyed it primarily because it brings back great memories of my dad who loved all things Arnold on the big screen and because my good friend was a co-writer on T1 and T2 and I love to remind him that they need to bring him back on board to save things. Beyond that, I found it pretty meh and think Jim Cameron through a hand grenade on the franchise and killed it.

duece71
10-17-20, 22:08
Nobody is doubting Kristanna Loken who was the only reason to watch T3 aside from the M1919 and the epic The Day After style ending.

https://compareceleb.com/uploads/posts/2018-11/1542892498_kristanna-loken-height-weight-body-measurements.jpg

I mean she looks like on of them Super Aryan Nazi Girls from Wolfenstein with gold Lugers or like she could have been an Amazon Warrior like Red Sonja who pisses on men to assert dominance.

I mean I cannot fault the actresses. They are all tall and I would totally knock the books out of their hand at school to let them know I liked them.

But the writing of these movies was TERRIBLE. Seriously the Dark Horse comics were better.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Moon_Bloodgood_at_Kirtland_AFB_during_filming_of_Terminator_Salvation_2008-07-18.JPG/682px-Moon_Bloodgood_at_Kirtland_AFB_during_filming_of_Terminator_Salvation_2008-07-18.JPG

And she bombed robots with an A-10. I mean again they have these quality actresses but the writing is bad.

I still maintain Anton Yelchin was a good Reese and Chekhov. You cannot convince me otherwise.

It also angers me that these movies have pretty diverse actresses who are 6 foot or better and all I ever come across in the world are pissants.

Loken went AWOL and joined the sex cult NXIVM. Just so you know.

duece71
10-17-20, 22:15
Salvation definitely had potential but the PG13 rating-trying-to-get-more-butts-in-seats ploy just didn’t work for me. I wanted the machine war to be much more brutal, more bloody. One of the fantasy “Terminator” books that was written should have been made into a movie IMO. Can’t remember the title, but it was decent. There needs to be another “future war” Terminator movie made.

Grand58742
10-17-20, 22:26
Loken went AWOL and joined the sex cult NXIVM. Just so you know.

Are they accepting new applications?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/3c/7d/ab3c7da3a259d5b67b0dad8c4e42d791.jpg

duece71
10-19-20, 13:09
Are they accepting new applications?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/3c/7d/ab3c7da3a259d5b67b0dad8c4e42d791.jpg

Probably, but from what I read, she has had a couple of kids and is probably all worn out from being run through so many times.

Firefly
10-19-20, 13:36
I’m sorry what was that about her feet?