PDA

View Full Version : Best laser range finder for 1 mile shots

Pappabear
11-08-19, 18:27
My Sig 2000 is not enough range finder for the task. As we know, cut that 2000 in half for most applications. I probably need double that.

PB

lsllc
11-08-19, 18:57
Budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
11-08-19, 19:23
My buddy has an $1800 unit. I’d like to keep it under $1k. I saw a 4000 unit from Vortex for $500, might be an option.

Isllc, Thanks for clarifying.

PB

Pappabear
11-08-19, 19:24
My buddy has an $1800 unit. I’d like to keep it under $1k. I saw a 4000 unit from Vortex for $500, might be an option.

PB

sinister
11-09-19, 06:52
1800 yards. I had a Vectronix Terrapin that got stolen from my truck. Insurance covered half of it. I replaced it with a Vectronix PLRF-10.

lsllc
11-09-19, 09:02

PB

There’s a 5k reflective and 1500 non-reflective rated Sig Kilo Bino set out there for around $1100 that I’ve heard good things about.

I have managed to get the Kilo 2400 to work to about 17-1800 but it’s not easy. It’s a PITA.

jsbhike
11-09-19, 13:28
The Vortex 4000 yard model has good glass clarity, but not sure if anyone at work has had a chance to try beyond a few hundred yards.

Watrdawg
11-13-19, 08:29
I just got a Leupold RX2800 TBR/W and the reviews/videos I've seen online show it going out past 2800. I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet so I have no clue how it actually performs at that distance. Cost was pretty good. I got it directly from Leupold through their VIP program for $449

Pappabear
11-20-19, 12:37
thanks for the feedback guys. I have a big bonus check coming at year end and might bite the big bullet , we'll see. I check out the options provided. And yes my Buddy has the Vectronix unit. $$$$$

The Vortex 4000 unit seems like a best bang for the buck RF. Im going to borrow my buddies Vectronix and see how much it KILLS ME, to not have it.

PB

Lurp
11-27-19, 14:45
I’m not sure if you’re looking to range targets or what but if so theirs a little trick I’ve used to get a significant amount more distance out of my range finders. I buy rolls of that yellow reflective tape and cover a piece of 4’x4’ plywood with it or even put a few pieces on a 5 gallon bucket and leave it at your shooting position. As you go out and set long range targets range back to your shooting position. I’ve ranged out to 2000yds with my Sig 2200MR using this method. It also works well if you put some on your target stands or close by, then you can range from your shooting position. It won’t turn your unit into a Terrapin by any means but it will get you an extra 500-1000yds for a basic range finder.

Pappabear
11-29-19, 17:56
I’m not sure if you’re looking to range targets or what but if so theirs a little trick I’ve used to get a significant amount more distance out of my range finders. I buy rolls of that yellow reflective tape and cover a piece of 4’x4’ plywood with it or even put a few pieces on a 5 gallon bucket and leave it at your shooting position. As you go out and set long range targets range back to your shooting position. I’ve ranged out to 2000yds with my Sig 2200MR using this method. It also works well if you put some on your target stands or close by, then you can range from your shooting position. It won’t turn your unit into a Terrapin by any means but it will get you an extra 500-1000yds for a basic range finder.

GREAT fkn tip. I was going to paint with Glossy white , but this makes so much sense.

PB

soulezoo
12-01-19, 01:26
If you have the money, then Vectronix is the shiznit.

At $1k mark, it's Leica 2800.com. The Sig Kilo is a decent second.

Everything else is just running behind. Check out the specs and beam convergence and it'll become clearer.

The Leica will talk to your Kestrel with Link and run AB.

Pappabear
12-01-19, 11:48
Just to clear up, I own the Sig 2000 , so Im wanting more. Im going to borrow my buddies Vectronics, which of course is very dangerous.

PB

lsllc
12-01-19, 12:22
Talking to my buddy, he doesn’t seem to be too impressed with his vortex bino model. It’s rated for 4K I believe. Not sure it does 2k that well but I’ll try to get him to say more.

Pappabear
12-01-19, 14:31
Talking to my buddy, he doesn’t seem to be too impressed with his vortex bino model. It’s rated for 4K I believe. Not sure it does 2k that well but I’ll try to get him to say more.

Thanks for checking. I'd be pissed to spend $1,100 when $500 unit is better. Or add a bit and get The big daddy

lsllc
12-02-19, 18:27
Talked to my buddy more. He said the vortex was difficult to see targets at that range and it wouldn’t range non-reflective targets well at a mile.

Pappabear
12-02-19, 19:23
Talked to my buddy more. He said the vortex was difficult to see targets at that range and it wouldn’t range non-reflective targets well at a mile.

Isllc, your killing me smalls. I wanted that Vortex to be the answer. Fck it I guess Vectronix is the gut wrenching answer. Damn, I hope my bonus is massive. Thanks for checking Hoss. I really appreciate it.

PB

Vegas
12-03-19, 09:15
Just to clear up, I own the Sig 2000 , so Im wanting more. Im going to borrow my buddies Vectronics, which of course is very dangerous.

PBI have the same unit. Not sure if it is my imagination but it seemed to work better when I first got it.

I like the reflective tape idea. Going to give that a try next mile attempt I make. Last time I shot at that distance I had to range a buddy standing halfway to make it work. Gets it done but not ideal.

Pappabear
12-03-19, 13:11
Its ridiculous that a 4000 yard unit cant hit a mile with ease regardless of conditions. Yea, I ordered reflective tape off Amazon yesterday.

tb-av
12-04-19, 20:42
Would your scenario be suited to something like a DJI Mavic Mini? It will fly that distance easily and give you readings on distance and altitude. A more robust drone and you probably mount a wind speed meter on top to measure speeds at various distances along the course as well.

You would be looking somewhere in the $500 range for a drone that is using gps for measurement.

Pappabear
12-04-19, 21:26
Would your scenario be suited to something like a DJI Mavic Mini? It will fly that distance easily and give you readings on distance and altitude. A more robust drone and you probably mount a wind speed meter on top to measure speeds at various distances along the course as well.

You would be looking somewhere in the $500 range for a drone that is using gps for measurement.

I am a little scared to try and run a drone, but my interest is peaked.

PB

tb-av
12-04-19, 22:17
The DJI type stuff basically flies itself. In fact you can program in a course and it will fly it. Generally these fly slow(ish) and safe. You can fly it in short order.

The FPV stuff is another situation. You have to control everything. These are fast ( 100mph + ) and kinda dangerous. You have to learn to fly these.

If you want to watch some vids just go to YT and search DJI Mavic .. .that's their consumer friendly variety of several drones that are easy to fly in a day or weekend.

Then search FPV... those are the guys doing flips, tricks, cinematic fast motion flying inches above the water or inside abandoned buildings. They are hard to learn.

DJI just released the Mavic Mini and everyone is really liking it. I saw one guy fly it out 2.5 miles and back. It's got a 4K camera on a gimbals that you can control. All the flight details are right there on your phone or iPad. I'm not sure of the speed but you are still talking going 30+ mph to your target.

The FPV stuff only flies for a few minutes. The DJI consumer stuff flies for say 20 minutes. On one battery that is. DJI pretty much owns the consumer type flying friendly drone market. The FPV stuff is all pretty much DIY and not suited to your task.

So basically if you looked at DJI and did not see a solution then you could probably just figure sticking with conventional gear.

this is the DJI type situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LQtfddABc -- you would want this

This is the FPV type situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2Jqvj5YGw -- this takes a lot of time to learn and is more expensive

Lurp
12-06-19, 21:02
Its ridiculous that a 4000 yard unit cant hit a mile with ease regardless of conditions. Yea, I ordered reflective tape off Amazon yesterday.

The bigger your surface area of reflective tape the easier it is to range at greater distances. I’ve ranged 2k yds with my Sig 2200 using the reflective tape but it’s hard to get the range finder stabilized enough when hand held to get a good reading on small surfaces. Using a bigger piece of plywood covered in the reflective tape makes it much easier. Also stabilizing the range finder with a tripod or bracing against a stabile object works well. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

sinister
12-06-19, 21:48
You can jury-rig fairly large reflectors using common stuff out of Wallymart or car parts stores:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/712JUHJiBuL._SX355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61EwuSlV6lL._SY355_.jpg

CRT2
12-08-19, 07:29
Darn tablet!

Vegas
12-09-19, 06:56
The windshield cover is a good idea but how do you secure it? It's more often than not windy at the spots I shoot at. I have visions of them tumbling through the desert.

sinister
12-09-19, 08:37
Make a wood frame, staple the reflector to the frame (it's not your shooting target, but ranging target for your laser).

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/72/bd/38/72bd382d7beb1b88a3a094cf642e81c0.jpg

Pappabear
12-09-19, 11:15
Make a wood frame, staple the reflector to the frame (it's not your shooting target, but ranging target for your laser).

Nice rig. I can see people have been struggling with this for some time.

PB

Pappabear
12-09-19, 11:15

Nice rig. I can see people have been struggling with this for some time.

PB

Vegas
12-09-19, 23:32
Seeing your stand makes realize two things; one I have a similar stand I can use and two, I’m over thinking this. I’m busting out the wife’s Reynolds cooking foil!

Pappabear
12-10-19, 00:25
Seeing your stand makes realize two things; one I have a similar stand I can use and two, I’m over thinking this. I’m busting out the wife’s Reynolds cooking foil!

That gave me a laugh, gracias.

PB

Pappabear
12-10-19, 00:25

That gave me a laugh, gracias.

PB

Pappabear
01-12-20, 14:48
I borrowed a friends Vectronix and it was the bomb. I’ll wait to see what comes out at shot then maybe pull the trigger.

PB

Vegas
01-13-20, 01:20
Ironically, I was out tying to make a mile shot last week and somebody had set up a target at the top of the hill where I shoot. Figuring I would use it, I set my targets up at 1250 and 1500. I measure 260 back, then 510 back. Then back up to measure the 1250. Wouldn’t read, nor at 1500. For S’s and G’s I point at the 1760 target and I get a reading! Was actually 1765. Long story short, when I hike up the hill to look at the target, there was a piece of reflective plastic, maybe 12” square, set up to the right of the target. I need to snap a picture of it next time I’m out there.

Pappabear
01-13-20, 10:12
Ironically, I was out tying to make a mile shot last week and somebody had set up a target at the top of the hill where I shoot. Figuring I would use it, I set my targets up at 1250 and 1500. I measure 260 back, then 510 back. Then back up to measure the 1250. Wouldn’t read, nor at 1500. For S’s and G’s I point at the 1760 target and I get a reading! Was actually 1765. Long story short, when I hike up the hill to look at the target, there was a piece of reflective plastic, maybe 12” square, set up to the right of the target. I need to snap a picture of it next time I’m out there.

I bought some of that tape for the very same reason. I may not need it if I buy the nice Vectronix. Im waiting for shot how and hopefully something very compelling will come out.

PB

Vegas
01-13-20, 13:25
I don’t ever see me shooting much past a mile. That would involve some crazy caliber I don’t want to get involved in so this is a great solution unless you need other features of course.

markm
01-13-20, 13:53
I don’t ever see me shooting much past a mile. That would involve some crazy caliber I don’t want to get involved in so this is a great solution unless you need other features of course.

Agreed. A mile is fairly doable with real world equipment. When you start getting crazy with forward observers, etc.... That's too much of a production.

markm
01-13-20, 13:53
Duplicate.

Pappabear
01-13-20, 17:03

That is next level that I doubt Ill do unless someone takes me out and lets me check some boxes that I dont invest in. Im pretty happy with one mile.

Vegas
01-13-20, 17:26
Yeah, there’s enough going on at mile to work on with wind calling, who needs to go further? I need to get more consistent at 1250 and 1500 anyway.

Pappabear
01-13-20, 21:34
Yeah, there’s enough going on at mile to work on with wind calling, who needs to go further? I need to get more consistent at 1250 and 1500 anyway.

I really feel like as soon as you go past 1k, everything gets exponentially more difficult by 100 yard increments. And really so past 1250 ish. The mortar rounds get cra cra.

PB

markm
01-14-20, 07:33
I think we'll start to see coriolis effect playing a part in our hold. Our target is North to South with a slight Westward aim. We had a half mil left hold on wind that seemed to be right at our back.

Vegas
01-14-20, 14:22
Interesting you mention Coriolis Mark as I was just reading up on this. Wind in Strelok was off that day I was out so I started looking into it. Turns out it was an error on my part; usually is. At my spot, I am shooting east which causes the round to hit high. Engaging the option to account for Coriolis only changed the come up from 18.3 to 18.1. Not sure what I was expecting but I surprised it was that small an amount.

This was only my second time out shooting at that distance so definitely much to learn. I can see a Kestrel in my future though.

markm
01-14-20, 15:49
I never thought about East/West, that's pretty interesting too. I started thinking about coriolis a year or so back when I noticed the right side of the target stand took more of a beating than the left after years of shooting 1300 yards.

Pappabear
01-17-20, 17:27
Interesting you mention Coriolis Mark as I was just reading up on this. Wind in Strelok was off that day I was out so I started looking into it. Turns out it was an error on my part; usually is. At my spot, I am shooting east which causes the round to hit high. Engaging the option to account for Coriolis only changed the come up from 18.3 to 18.1. Not sure what I was expecting but I surprised it was that small an amount.

This was only my second time out shooting at that distance so definitely much to learn. I can see a Kestrel in my future though.

I would have thought more too. Elevation has more impact than the C effect. We are shooting at 1250. On the hide folks usually include elevation with DOPE because Denver is not Phx. And it matters. I shot high over on Elk my first shot at 1300 because I was up in the mountains. I think it was slightly over .5 mil, dialed down and smack.

lsllc
01-17-20, 19:01
Most guys these day use DA which literally incorporates everything else, then they factor in temperature to determine their muzzle velocity secondary to powder’s temperature sensitivity.

Pappabear
01-18-20, 11:05
Most guys these day use DA which literally incorporates everything else, then they factor in temperature to determine their muzzle velocity secondary to powder’s temperature sensitivity.

Isllc, Pardon my ignorance, what is DA ?

PB

lsllc
01-18-20, 11:38

PB

Density altitude. It is a measure or air thickness...it incorporates pressure, altitude, temp, humidity, etc into one measurement. It originates as a value in aviation, but the same output applies to external ballistics.

It can be the ONE value of concern for the shooter to encompass all variables exerting force on the bullet, given you know muzzle velocity and accurate BC.

lsllc
01-18-20, 11:45

PB

Density altitude. It is a measure or air thickness...it incorporates pressure, altitude, temp, humidity, etc into one measurement. It originates as a value in aviation, but the same output applies to external ballistics.

It can be the ONE value of concern for the shooter to encompass all variables exerting force on the bullet, given you know muzzle velocity and accurate BC.

Pappabear
01-18-20, 19:30

Very cool, where do get the info? Is it readily available?

PB

lsllc
01-18-20, 19:32
Very cool, where do get the info? Is it readily available?

PB

Doing it manually is a pain. But most kestrels spit it out. Most ballistic apps allow you to select DA for your variables

Vegas
01-19-20, 15:32
Doing it manually is a pain. But most kestrels spit it out. Most ballistic apps allow you to select DA for your variables

Another reason for me to buy a Kestrel or equivalent.

Pappabear
01-19-20, 18:00
Thanks Isllc.

PB

henryjac16
10-23-22, 01:10
The GPS works by triangulation from travel time differences of each satellite signal.
However after the repeater reception antenna, and up to the drone, all the GPS satellite signals will suffer the exact same delay. So the triangulation no longer works, and the drone’s GPS will actually measure the position of the repeater’s reception antenna.
The drone that some information is here (https://www.extremefliers.com/best-mini-drones/), will know its location on Earth, however, the drone will make a horizontal fly-away because its gps will tell it it is immobile at the location of the repeater’s reception antenna.
The ANAFI uses a Ublox M8N GPS chip.