PDA

View Full Version : Is Vibra Tite like Blue locktite

Pappabear
11-09-19, 18:51
Is Vibra Tite like Blue locktite. I want to lock down a RDS on a handgun.

PB

m1a_scoutguy
11-09-19, 19:10
Is Vibra Tite like Blue Loctite. I want to lock down an RDS on a handgun.

PB

Hmmm, never used it myself Pappabear but it looks like good stuff! It sounds like you have some on hand and no Loctite and you want to mount your RDS so you can shoot tomorrow,;), LOL Just a wild guess. Anyways I would use it after reading about it, not sure if that helps though!
https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/

YVK
11-09-19, 19:25
Some swear by it, other didn't get as much luck. I used it a couple of times and honestly don't know what exactly it offers over the blue. People say it is easier to remove the sight if needed to, and you can re-tighten without additional application; I wouldn't do that regardless. With good screwdriver bits and not being stupid during loctite application I've not had issues removing anything. Having tried it, I am sticking with whatever I have availalbe, VC3 or blue. If I had one, I wouldn't go out of my way to get another.

L-2
11-09-19, 19:33
I've used both. From my recollection, Vibra-Tite sets up a bit faster and to some degree is reusable, which means to me I don't have to reapply after a couple of uses.

I think blue Loctite takes a few hours (maybe 6 hours) vs. Vibra-Tite, where you're supposed to wait ~10 minutes after applying to then screw parts together. But I don't know the difference between "setting" and "fully cured". Fully-cured Loctite is supposed to be 24 hours.

The last thing I believe is Vibra-Tite's temperature range may be only 165º F max., where blue Loctite max. is ~300º F. Just guessing, I'd estimate an RDS' screws would get to 165º on a slide.

Advise, I've read somewhere Vibra-Tite was the recommended thread-locker to use; but I'd be bringing the right driver bits to check screw tightness. Later, I'd consider switching to blue Loctite if the Vibra-Tite ends up failing.

I've no experience with an RDS and admittedly, I've even had trouble by having a BUIS fly-off my AR. I'm going to check the screws on those before, during, and after shooting next week.

contax_shooter
11-09-19, 19:45
The biggest downfall to Vibratite is the crappy plastic cap that seals the bottle. It WILL break and cause the remaining amount to dry up. I got less than 7 months of use out of a ~$22 30 mL bottle, with about 75% of it going to waste because it dried out on me. I’ve even tried to enclose the bottle in an airtight ziploc for as long as I could make it last.

Either stick with Loctite or line up all of your hardware to get the most out of your included packet of Vibratite that comes with new mounts (ADM always supplied some).

I haven’t had much luck with Vibratite on smaller screws and finer thread pitches such as the RMR screws, Glock front sight screw, etc. It loosened up after < 500 rounds, so I removed the residue and went back to Loctite. No issues since.

tactical1
11-09-19, 20:08
The biggest downfall to Vibratite is the crappy plastic cap that seals the bottle. It WILL break and cause the remaining amount to dry up. I got less than 7 months of use out of a ~$22 30 mL bottle, with about 75% of it going to waste because it dried out on me. I’ve even tried to enclose the bottle in an airtight ziploc for as long as I could make it last.

Either stick with Loctite or line up all of your hardware to get the most out of your included packet of Vibratite that comes with new mounts (ADM always supplied some).

I haven’t had much luck with Vibratite on smaller screws and finer thread pitches such as the RMR screws, Glock front sight screw, etc. It loosened up after < 500 rounds, so I removed the residue and went back to Loctite. No issues since.

Yup - lost a bottle in the same way as well - found putting grease on the threads of the glass bottle seems to help. Have been using Vibratite on motorcycle applications and seems to be working but no opinion on whether it is better than blue which I also use. Have in on my SRO/Glock and holding us so far but, unfortunately, still a low round count.

jsbhike
11-09-19, 20:15

I have been having good luck with the 5ml VC-3, but you get a 2nd on the 30ml brush bottle deal sucking.

I have had good luck with VC-3 on scope and light mounts, but never had issues with blue Loctite though. Guessing those are probably #8 - #10'ish size or larger and really I can't see how Vibratite could work on smaller size screws.

gaijin
11-10-19, 05:44
Witness marks on mount/plate and screw after assembled are a good idea too PB.
Can tell at a glance if the screw/fastener has loosened, without having to continually torque screw down- which can compromise a Loctite bond.

signal4l
11-10-19, 13:49
I bought a scope mount from ADM. They included a small tube of Vibratite. They recommended against using loctite for some reason. The vibra-tite smelled suspiciously similar to rubber cement. It worked very well. The screws did not come loose. It can be applied without degreasing. I like the stuff

ALCOAR
11-10-19, 17:52
Love Vibratite. Great stuff.

SomeOtherGuy
11-12-19, 11:53
Vibratite VC-3 is my preferred threadlocker. I use it on scope ring screws, some other parts, and various tractor parts that get 1000x more vibration than a gun. I haven't had anything loosen on its own when properly applied, and it works much better than nylock nuts on the tractor.

Be sure you apply it to the bolt/stud threads separately and allow it to dry (about 15 minutes) before assembling the parts, otherwise it doesn't work right. It will not dry to something useful if assembled when it's still wet. However, you can apply it and wait days or weeks, probably much longer even, and it will work fine. Threads must be clean and free of oil, same as for Loctite products.

VC-3 is not a glue like Loctite. It's basically a really thick and sticky substance that dries in place and prevents free movement, so parts don't loosen by shaking. You can unscrew the parts without excess force, but they won't spin freely. If your bolt or stud is a lot longer than the joint area, only apply VC-3 to the joint area so you can still spin the nut on freely to where it starts to hold force.

They claim up to 3 re-uses but in my experience 1 re-use is the practical limit if you actually care about the part staying assembled. Still 1 more than Loctite / CA type products.

themonk
11-12-19, 12:08
Vibratite is good for mounts and scope rings. For an RDS on a handgun I would use blue loctite.