PDA

View Full Version : If semi auto firearms were not an option.

praythenspray
11-14-19, 07:39
Consider this a hypothetical question.

I was talking to someone the other day about "safe" options in ban states and possible future bans. Yeah, I know and also strongly agree with the stance of not complying to draconian gun laws.

I have a feeling a huge resurgence of the home defense pump action shotgun or maybe even a wave of the cowboy carbine setups would happen. I am curious the thoughts of other people on here.

Arik
11-14-19, 07:51
Pretty much going back to what was commonly available in the 60s or prior to semi autos becoming mainstream.

For a rifle probably some kind of 357/44 mag lever action. You can find them from 5-10 round tubes +1 in chamber. Of course there's always the ever popular 30-30. If I had larger property a Ruger scout in 223 or 308. Bolt action but mag fed.

praythenspray
11-14-19, 07:58
Pretty much going back to what was commonly available in the 60s or prior to semi autos becoming mainstream.

For a rifle probably some kind of 357/44 mag lever action. You can find them from 5-10 round tubes +1 in chamber. Of course there's always the ever popular 30-30. If I had larger property a Ruger scout in 223 or 308. Bolt action but mag fed.

Good point about the larger property. I actually live on a plot of land that easily takes me out of shotgun range. So a Marlin 336 set up with a light or a Remington 700 with the Magpul hunter stock would be better suited for any outdoor activities.

mack7.62
11-14-19, 08:01
If semi's are not an option then it's time for full.

flenna
11-14-19, 09:39

^^^:lol:

Sry0fcr
11-14-19, 09:59
Probably a lever or revolving rifle/carbine in .357 or .44.

teufelhund1918
11-14-19, 10:02
A pack of angry Belgian Malinois with titanium teeths.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-19, 10:11
And the gamers go to PRS rifles and then the anti-s loose their ever loving minds when 1600 yard shots become common skills....

HCrum87hc
11-14-19, 10:28
Living on .25 acre, I'd probably roll with a pump shotgun, but I'd be heavily tempted by a .357/44 lever action with matching revolver.

Firefly
11-14-19, 10:29
https://i.imgflip.com/3gceis.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3gceis)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

armtx77
11-14-19, 10:38
They will label every bolt action a 'sniper' rifle. Already have, but AWB sidetracked that movement.

Might as well start looking at break open, single shot or side by side rifles like the African hunters use.

Me, Im breaking out the Daisy Red Rider. Dipping my BB's in the mucous membrane of dangerous, South American frogs and looking to shoot peoples eyes out.

Arik
11-14-19, 10:46
They will label every bolt action a 'sniper' rifle. Already have, but AWB sidetracked that movement.

Might as well start looking at break open, single shot or side by side rifles like the African hunters use.

Me, Im breaking out the Daisy Red Rider. Dipping my BB's in the mucous membrane of dangerous, South American frogs and looking to shoot peoples eyes out.Oh hell.... SD with a 375H&H or the 450 Nitro Express. Nothing like 480gr at 5000ft-lbs! And for those who like to use what pops up in movies, a Quigley Sharps in 50-110!

Jellybean
11-14-19, 11:04
Napopleonic era cannon.
What, it's an "antique" so no licenses needed right? ;):p

armtx77
11-14-19, 11:12
Oh hell.... SD with a 375H&H or the 450 Nitro Express. Nothing like 480gr at 5000ft-lbs! And for those who like to use what pops up in movies, a Quigley Sharps in 50-110!

I can see it now: Bandoliers of 450 Nitro's around peoples shoulder, like linked 308 for the 60 in Vietnam.
Guys running around in British tan shorts, Bush shirts and knee high socks.

It is gonna be GLORIOUS. Wont be a need for any talk about "barrier grade" ammo either. Trip the ole Merkel side by side off and watch the commoners revel in your prowess.

Arik
11-14-19, 11:20
I can see it now: Bandoliers of 450 Nitro's around peoples shoulder, like linked 308 for the 60 in Vietnam.
Guys running around in British tan shorts, Bush shirts and knee high socks.

It is gonna be GLORIOUS. Wont be a need for any talk about "barrier grade" ammo either. Trip the ole Merkel side by side off and watch the commoners revel in your prowess.For barrier penetration I'm going with 505 Gibbs. 600gr at 5900ft-lbs

RMiller
11-14-19, 11:23
Given the hypothetical, a .357/.38 Lever action.

armtx77
11-14-19, 11:24
For barrier penetration I'm going with 505 Gibbs. 600gr at 5900ft-lbs

Wise choice, indeed.

ramairthree
11-14-19, 11:49
I guess I would roll with a strong side 8 shot 357,
A cross draw 357 for a quick reload or draw cavalry style weak handed,
A 357 lever action, I would say pump, because it’s quicker. But if I run my pump faster than I can run my lever action I end up getting malfunctions.
Then should/back carry a shockwave.

With a brace of speed loaders for the revolvers and sling and butt wrap ammo loops for the lever action.

You could go mini shells in the shockwave, or even a full sized mossberg to max the shotgun ammo.

flenna
11-14-19, 11:50
Consider this a hypothetical question.

I was talking to someone the other day about "safe" options in ban states and possible future bans. Yeah, I know and also strongly agree with the stance of not complying to draconian gun laws.

I have a feeling a huge resurgence of the home defense pump action shotgun or maybe even a wave of the cowboy carbine setups would happen. I am curious the thoughts of other people on here.

Eh, don’t worry about it. Once semi-autos are banned then pumps, bolt actions and lever actions will soon follow.

Straight Shooter
11-14-19, 12:04
https://i.imgflip.com/3gceis.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3gceis)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Fly- is that a legit quote...and if so, from who?
Ive told Fudds for 30+ years now...ever see an anti-gunner that was truly pro-hunting? Ive not.
The anti hunters are almost always anti gun & the anti gunners are almost always anti hunting.
They've so much as stated the first step is semi's..then the "sniper rifles"...anything with an scope on it...then anything over three rounds because..and I actually heard this myself."because you cant have a gun that shoots more than three rounds for hunting geese..WHY do you need one for self defense"?
They just want guns GONE, period. Many want police disarmed, no handguns for the military...nothing. These dove/duck hunting Fudds out in the blinds today refuse to believe those Bennelli shottys are on their radar too.
Gun "owners" are our worst enemies.
Update: Type in "Ban all guns:...look what pops up.

glocktogo
11-14-19, 12:07
This:

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/current-production/blr-lightweight-81-stainless-takedown.html

There is/was a company called Armalon that would convert BLR's to accept AR mags.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.8dmKlVEPampCyGARqvN85AAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=228&h=174

So if semi's were suddenly off the menu I'm sure it would become a popular mod. A 6.5#, 5.56 hi-cap, detachable mag, short stroke levergun known for accuracy, topped with a 2 MOA red dot would be a formidable setup indeed. The fact that you could break it down to stow in a backpack is another plus.

Edit:

They even made a "tacticool" version that weighed 4oz less and had accessory rails.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/discontinued/blr-black-label-takedown-16-inch-barrel.html

titsonritz
11-14-19, 12:11
A ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse 30 bullets within half a second and the shoulder thing that goes up.

kerplode
11-14-19, 12:15
Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads

Dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark the shoot bees at you

Robotic Richard Simmons

Lever action three-fiddy-seven

teufelhund1918
11-14-19, 12:22
Don't forget hugs... they work on Mexican cartel hitmen.

Firefly
11-14-19, 12:24
Fly- is that a legit quote...and if so, from who?
Ive told Fudds for 30+ years now...ever see an anti-gunner that was truly pro-hunting? Ive not.
The anti hunters are almost always anti gun & the anti gunners are almost always anti hunting.
They've so much as stated the first step is semi's..then the "sniper rifles"...anything with an scope on it...then anything over three rounds because..and I actually heard this myself."because you cant have a gun that shoots more than three rounds for hunting geese..WHY do you need one for self defense"?
They just want guns GONE, period. Many want police disarmed, no handguns for the military...nothing. These dove/duck hunting Fudds out in the blinds today refuse to believe those Bennelli shottys are on their radar too.
Gun "owners" are our worst enemies.

It’s just something that I whipped up.

But it’s true. Okay you have hunting guns. Cool.

Guess what, no verbiage in 2A about “hunting” so we can ban hunting now. It’s Current Year, just go to the market.

jsbhike
11-14-19, 12:25
Me, Im breaking out the Daisy Red Rider.

Can't recall who made them, but Small Arms Review (or Machine Gun News?) had an article on Red Ryders converted to take .22 S/L/LR and had an integral suppressor. Best I can recall the .22 Shorts made for the easiest lever operation and it was quieter than a stock Red Ryder.

Firefly
11-14-19, 12:27
There’s something people seem to overlook.

Browning made some legit guns in his shop.
Out of turn of the century shop gear.

And now we have autoCAD and CNC machines

Just saying

TMS951
11-14-19, 12:32

This should be a poll option

armtx77
11-14-19, 12:35
There’s something people seem to overlook.

Browning made some legit guns in his shop.
Out of turn of the century shop gear.

And now we have autoCAD and CNC machines

Just saying

The MAN has already took a couple of runs at 3D printers.

Outlaws gonna outlaw. Im looking at increased spring tension kits for the Red Ryder.

jsbhike
11-14-19, 12:35

First Google article

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190927/virginia-police-chief-advocates-ban-on-all-guns-at-us-house-assault-weapons-hearing

OH58D
11-14-19, 12:46
Lever Action Rifles/Carbines, 30-30 and higher. For Mule Deer I've been using my 1947 Winchester Model 94 in .30 WCF. For convenience, the .357 carbines and rifles allow for the same ammo as the iron on your hip, and makes for a nice defensive combination. For even larger critters than two-legged, I use my Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70.

Firefly
11-14-19, 13:17
I’m too lazy for bolt or lever actions

yoni
11-14-19, 13:58
I refuse to answer the question, as for me it would be a step too far in government oppression.

I WILL NEVER give up the best tools that I have to protect my life from the government. But I would Sun Tzu the hell out of the situation, if I had no choice. Real tools get lost, this of course would include mags and ammo. I would then use a bolt gun for the range.

That is if my options due to circumstance beyond my control, kept me from doing the correct thing at that tragic point in time.

If I wasn't restricted in what I could do then my options are fight or flight like ever creature suddenly put in harms way. If gun owners raised up in mass, then I would join the fight. But if gun owners just turned in their guns, then I would choose flight.

The Czech republic is adding gun rights at this time. Other places in the world you can get all the rights you can afford to pay for if you have no other choice.

LoboTBL
11-14-19, 14:17
This should be a poll option

Couldn't that option to fall under 'Other'?

Grand58742
11-14-19, 14:25
I voted for lever action, but is this considered a semi-auto?

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/7537/category/343/category_chain/343/product_name/REPLICA+M1874+GATLING+GUN+%23052

GH41
11-14-19, 14:51
Does Troy still make that pump AR?

26 Inf
11-14-19, 15:24
Does Troy still make that pump AR?

Wonder how long it would take Remington to revive the 7615: https://modernfirearms.net/en/civilian-rifles/u-s-a-civilian-rifles/remington-7615-eng/

or the 7600P: http://armusa.com/RemingtonModel7600P_Page.htm

GH41
11-14-19, 15:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYRRzus9wto

11-14-19, 16:08
Thuddy- thuddy levergun with an LPVO. A .357 levergun with a light and Aimpoint. A .357 levergun with good irons. Some .357 revolvers. An 870 and a double. Some mausers. I already have most of these configurations, but in hipster calibers, so I will have to replace them if I want to keep shooting as much as I do. I’ll have to get more non-556 cans. And some that can do .357.

Might consider CCW with two single action six shooters.

SteyrAUG
11-14-19, 16:13
I would simply default to my NFA machine guns, SBRs and such. Those will be the last items they mess with. Makes that $200 upgrade from a pistol brace an easy choice.

Pi3
11-14-19, 20:01
Future forums will have heated debates about the relative virtues of .357 vs .44 mag lever carbines.

Esq.
11-15-19, 06:38
The obvious choice is the primary weapon for most of the combatants of both World Wars. The military grade bolt action rifle. Pushed to choose one specifically I'd probably go with the No. 4 Enfield due to it's high capacity and rapid reloading.

Arik
11-15-19, 07:01
The obvious choice is the primary weapon for most of the combatants of both World Wars. The military grade bolt action rifle. Pushed to choose one specifically I'd probably go with the No. 4 Enfield due to it's high capacity and rapid reloading.Driving home yesterday I was actually thinking about this. Having owned Enfields I'd go with the Mauser. Loose 50% of the ammo but more common caliber and less chance of rim lock. 303 commercial ammo is hit or miss with rim thickness

AndyLate
11-15-19, 07:13
No question, 357 all day everyday.

3 AE
11-15-19, 07:20
Several honey badgers wearing "Service Animal" vests.

mack7.62
11-15-19, 08:07
Hmm, do you think putting a "Service Animal" vest on a AAC Honey Badger is going to work?

Esq.
11-15-19, 08:11
Driving home yesterday I was actually thinking about this. Having owned Enfields I'd go with the Mauser. Loose 50% of the ammo but more common caliber and less chance of rim lock. 303 commercial ammo is hit or miss with rim thickness

My number two would probably be an 03A3 Springfield. To me, the ready availability of .30-06 ammo and the superior peep sight system trump the Mausers larger distribution (spare parts etc...) and possibly greater reliability.

11-15-19, 08:43
The obvious choice is the primary weapon for most of the combatants of both World Wars. The military grade bolt action rifle. Pushed to choose one specifically I'd probably go with the No. 4 Enfield due to it's high capacity and rapid reloading.

Driving home yesterday I was actually thinking about this. Having owned Enfields I'd go with the Mauser. Loose 50% of the ammo but more common caliber and less chance of rim lock. 303 commercial ammo is hit or miss with rim thickness

My number two would probably be an 03A3 Springfield. To me, the ready availability of .30-06 ammo and the superior peep sight system trump the Mausers larger distribution (spare parts etc...) and possibly greater reliability.

I also prefer the Mauser. Particularly the M48 and the Swedish varieties. I’ve got a Turkish Mauser barreled action that I’m thinking about rebarreling to 6.5x55 and adding a laminated stock.

I should add a 1903 to my collection.

RMiller
11-15-19, 08:51
My thoughts on the .38spcl/.357 is there is system that can be built around the ammo.

A snubby for pocket carry, a larger 8 shot, and the lever gun.

Heck, Midwest Industries even makes a mlok HG. Throw a red dot on that bad boy.

11-15-19, 08:55
My thoughts on the .38spcl/.357 is there is system that can be built around the ammo.

Ammo compatibility is great, but I feel the .357 levergun’s biggest strength is actually its mag capacity advantage at any given barrel length.

Edit: also the low recoil.

Firefly
11-15-19, 08:57
Let’s say life were a big game of Rainbow Six Siege. You make money to buy things you like.

Then one day Rainbow 6 devs say you have to use lever actions. No real reason, just feelings. Too many killstreaks and folks who suck at the game whining. Well that makes the game boring. And if caught they will boot you from the server.

Well that sucks so you use hacks and not only do you get better guns, you also unlock mods from GTA known as “Whores and Cocaine” that are a grand crossover.

The guys you play with are too square for this mod but it makes the game more fun. Especially the tracksuit skin.

Soundtrack gets an upgrayyed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeSGUK-Lyo

ramairthree
11-15-19, 09:08
Future forums will have heated debates about the relative virtues of .357 vs .44 mag lever carbines.

We will be deep in an argument about
The .357 poodle shooters are for pussies.
And the 44 mag proponents have never just owned a solid 45 colt gun with stout loads.

Which will evolve into a guy with a modern Lemat cartridge gun posting holding 9 rounds of 357, quick reload cylinders, and a center barrel for 45 colt / . 410,

Faster than any of our other options, holding 9 rounds when everyone had interpreted 8 center fire round revolvers were the max. Let alone the tenth shot.

People will argue over loop holing the FUGO/NFA acts, writing a letter to the ATF, or running out and buying one, just getringnthe damn stamp, etc.

Esq.
11-15-19, 09:14
I also prefer the Mauser. Particularly the M48 and the Swedish varieties. I’ve got a Turkish Mauser barreled action that I’m thinking about rebarreling to 6.5x55 and adding a laminated stock.

I just think no matter what rifle- within reason, that you choose, should be a military pattern bolt gun. The guns have been used in every conceivable type of environment for over 100 years and they very rarely fail. I have an 03 Springfield that was made in 1913- over 100 years ago that I would take to battle today if it were all I had and I would not feel undergunned with it. I have taken the Old Rifle course at Thunder Ranch- a good man, well trained with a turn bolt rifle can be VERY effective. When the Germans first faced British troops with Enfield rifles in the trenches they were convinced they were facing machine guns the fire was so effective and constant.

As to lever guns.....the first problem is finding a good one. Given the mass issue of combat grade bolt guns...your task is much easier... Many of the newer production lever guns are simply shit. I own a PILE of older Marlin lever guns and they are wonderful rifles, my favorite is probably a 1952 336 SC in .35 Remington..... Sorry, but the fit and finish of most newer models and overall quality is highly suspect. Then, they were NEVER built/designed as combat arms- yes, I know about Henry's in the Civil War, Russian Winchester 95's, Winchester 73's at the battle of Plevna and their service with the Texas Rangers and Mexican Revolutionaries but when the decisions were made to adopt military standard weapons for mass issue, the bolt guns got the nod world wide.

All that aside, the bolt gun is the superior "hard service" weapon- and generally, much easier to maintain and to even mount optics on which by itself is a "force multiplier".....They are also available in more powerful calibers which can be an asset...you're going to have to adapt your tactics to the weapon and play to it's strengths if you are forced to use a sub optimal self defense piece....

My .02, for whatever it's worth, which is probably .002....

MountainRaven
11-15-19, 09:18
Having watched videos put out by people who have handled and shot (and run on the clock) many or most of the available bolt action battle rifles of the two world wars...

There are basically three best options:

Japanese Type 38 and Type 44 carbines in 6.5mm Arisaka, Swedish m/94 Mauser carbines in 6.5x55mm, and American M1917 rifles in 30-06.

armtx77
11-15-19, 09:27
Let’s say life were a big game of Rainbow Six Siege. You make money to buy things you like.

Then one day Rainbow 6 devs say you have to use lever actions. No real reason, just feelings. Too many killstreaks and folks who suck at the game whining. Well that makes the game boring. And if caught they will boot you from the server.

Well that sucks so you use hacks and not only do you get better guns, you also unlock mods from GTA known as “Whores and Cocaine” that are a grand crossover.

The guys you play with are too square for this mod but it makes the game more fun. Especially the tracksuit skin.

Soundtrack gets an upgrayyed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeSGUK-Lyo

Im going all Chuck Connors on them.

Esq.
11-15-19, 09:40

Several years ago I got very burned out on all the nylon and black plastic and took several courses with "non traditional" weapons. I took the Old Rifle course twice for example.

I had two "custom" Mausers built just for one of those courses. I bought two beat to crap 98k's with sewer bores out of pawn shops...CHEAP. I found some .30-06 military contour barrels- I want to say SARCO had them, newly made, my gunsmith gave them "military" chambers......

Since the guns were mismatched and I was rebarreling them anyway I has them drilled and tapped and mounted Lyman peep sights on them- superior to the original "ladder sights". I cleaned up the stocks- laminated, and stoned the triggers a bit. VERY effective rifles and 100% reliable even with less than stellar ammo- I shot some of the course with some "Persian" corrosive '06 from the 1950's...Not a single bad round....

Arik
11-15-19, 09:48
I just think no matter what rifle- within reason, that you choose, should be a military pattern bolt gun. The guns have been used in every conceivable type of environment for over 100 years and they very rarely fail. I have an 03 Springfield that was made in 1913- over 100 years ago that I would take to battle today if it were all I had and I would not feel undergunned with it. I have taken the Old Rifle course at Thunder Ranch- a good man, well trained with a turn bolt rifle can be VERY effective. When the Germans first faced British troops with Enfield rifles in the trenches they were convinced they were facing machine guns the fire was so effective and constant.

As to lever guns.....the first problem is finding a good one. Given the mass issue of combat grade bolt guns...your task is much easier... Many of the newer production lever guns are simply shit. I own a PILE of older Marlin lever guns and they are wonderful rifles, my favorite is probably a 1952 336 SC in .35 Remington..... Sorry, but the fit and finish of most newer models and overall quality is highly suspect. Then, they were NEVER built/designed as combat arms- yes, I know about Henry's in the Civil War, Russian Winchester 95's, Winchester 73's at the battle of Plevna and their service with the Texas Rangers and Mexican Revolutionaries but when the decisions were made to adopt military standard weapons for mass issue, the bolt guns got the nod world wide.

All that aside, the bolt gun is the superior "hard service" weapon- and generally, much easier to maintain and to even mount optics on which by itself is a "force multiplier".....They are also available in more powerful calibers which can be an asset...you're going to have to adapt your tactics to the weapon and play to it's strengths if you are forced to use a sub optimal self defense piece....

My .02, for whatever it's worth, which is probably .002....Mosin Nagant memes will become real life

Esq.
11-15-19, 09:51
Having watched videos put out by people who have handled and shot (and run on the clock) many or most of the available bolt action battle rifles of the two world wars...

There are basically three best options:

Japanese Type 38 and Type 44 carbines in 6.5mm Arisaka, Swedish m/94 Mauser carbines in 6.5x55mm, and American M1917 rifles in 30-06.

Those are good rifles and the US Enfield in particular is a great choice but the ammunition availability- or lack thereof for the other two make them much less desirable and the clunky ass safety of the Arisaka is a non starter for me personally. There are lots of good choices in bolt guns and if you aren't looking for a collector grade example they don't even cost much- they were made in such large numbers for so long.

The two shot out Mausers I bought and rehabbed were $150 for THE PAIR. The '06 barrels were I want to say, $90 apiece roughly and I paid a gunsmith to do the rebarrel. I cleaned up the stocks myself which was a fun project- dent steaming, a little Acraglass here and there to tighten things up where I thought it would help, Linseed oil to seal. Couple of holes drilled and tapped and the purchase of Lyman peeps, good slings. Done. Cost less than an AR15 from any decent manufacturer and the "old guns" never get a second look.

One thing to look for is "sporterized" versions. Gunshows and pawns shops are your friend here. Nobody wants a cut down ugly old, "clunky" rifle in 8 mm Mauser etc....most shooters would rather buy a Mossberg package rifle from Waldo Mart for $300 if they need a beater hunting gun etc......They can be had for almost nothing and since we are concerned with FIGHTING with the gun, it really doesn't matter how period correct it is- merely that it function properly- which it will.

Watrdawg
11-15-19, 09:57
Lever action in the same caliber as a revolver. Basically heading back to the mid-late 1800's

Pi3
11-15-19, 10:35
We will be deep in an argument about
The .357 poodle shooters are for pussies.
And the 44 mag proponents have never just owned a solid 45 colt gun with stout loads.

Which will evolve into a guy with a modern Lemat cartridge gun posting holding 9 rounds of 357, quick reload cylinders, and a center barrel for 45 colt / . 410,

Faster than any of our other options, holding 9 rounds when everyone had interpreted 8 center fire round revolvers were the max. Let alone the tenth shot.

People will argue over loop holing the FUGO/NFA acts, writing a letter to the ATF, or running out and buying one, just getringnthe damn stamp, etc.

LMAO! Thanks, I needed that.

MegademiC
11-15-19, 10:40
Ar15 with right side charging handle.

Or a mag-fed lever-action.

Pi3
11-15-19, 11:03
Ar15 with right side charging handle.

Or a mag-fed lever-action.

Browning BLR with higher cap mags.
I am a lefty, so would avoid bolt guns.

Firefly
11-15-19, 11:47
Im going all Chuck Connors on them.

Okay, Boomer

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/56/TGB_31.jpg/600px-TGB_31.jpg

https://jackandsteveblether.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/mcq.gif

26 Inf
11-15-19, 13:01
The Duke should have stayed with Westerns and WWII Movies.

Pi3
11-15-19, 13:09
The current crop of lever actions may have QC issues, but if this really happened BCM would be offering lever actions in 4 barrel lengths, 5 calibers, 6 different rails and competing with magpul for stocks, vfgs, light moutns etc.

Firefly
11-15-19, 13:14
Frfr I have only one lever action.

https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Savage99_3.jpg

Those who know will understand...

https://hcommons.org/app/uploads/sites/1000648/2018/09/tumblr_mszv1c4O1s1s488ujo1_500.gif

mack7.62
11-15-19, 13:39
Well some will go back to bolts and levers but I think you will see a lot more of these:

OH58D
11-15-19, 14:51
The premise of the thread is that if semi-autos aren't available any longer. I wonder how many millions of semi-auto firearms of all kinds are out there? To me it seems that there will always be some kind of semi-auto available for purchase, it's just a matter of price. For those who can't afford one, they probably couldn't afford a $500-$800 Marlin or Winchester, either.

For personal defense in a confined area such as a home, I'd be more than happy with a lever action carbine than a bolt action rifle if that's all I could have.

MegademiC
11-15-19, 15:15
Well some will go back to bolts and levers but I think you will see a lot more of these:

Not to mention ease of creating m10 & 11s, aks, and converting straight pull ar15s to Select-fire.

Johnny Rico
11-15-19, 19:48
If semis are banned I'm going back to school to learn how to be a machinist. I'll take a few elective courses in chemistry as well.

Jermedic
11-16-19, 00:06
Lever action in the same caliber as a revolver. Basically heading back to the mid-late 1800's

I would agree. I would go back to my Colt Single Action Army and Marlin 1984 both in 45 Colt that I reload with black powder (gotta be authentic if were going old school). My Marlin 1895 in 45-70 would replace the AR 10. Don't know if I'd give up my truck and ride my horse full time though!

utahjeepr
11-16-19, 07:31
I'll rock my Eli Whitney rolling block. Anybody know a source for 43 Spanish in bulk?

JoshNC
11-16-19, 14:00
I would simply default to my NFA machine guns, SBRs and such. Those will be the last items they mess with. Makes that $200 upgrade from a pistol brace an easy choice.

Lots of ways they could F with those. Just ask the Canadian MG owners how they enjoy shooting theirs.

LoboTBL
11-16-19, 14:26
Hopefully, it never comes to that point in my lifetime. I wouldn't be able to stomach reading on this site that a lever, pump or bolt action can be run effectively and semi autos aren't the hill worth dying on.

Esq.
11-16-19, 14:37
Hopefully, it never comes to that point in my lifetime. I wouldn't be able to stomach reading on this site that a lever, pump or bolt action can be run effectively and semi autos aren't the hill worth dying on.

Bolt and lever guns CAN be run very effectively. Having said that, I'm not giving up my semi auto rifles.

Bulletdog
11-16-19, 14:49
A pack of angry Belgian Malinois with titanium teeths.

The titanium teeth break off too easy...

Bulletdog
11-16-19, 15:07
Are we talking about home defense, CCW in public, or a walk in the woods? I'd use something different for each.

Pi3
11-16-19, 17:55
I'm thinking a j frame, an 8 shot revolver and several lever actions in calibers to cover all the bases.

Pappabear
11-16-19, 19:04
Firstly, anybody that does NOT have a Red Ryder is a dad burn Commie. Second, I'm not worried about HD and semi auto's, I believe Im capable of going bang bang on a skinny in the dark of night with many other options. But Oh my Lord that would SUCK ARSE.

Its a legit worry.

PB

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-16-19, 23:09
Winchester 30/30 with Aimpoint on scout mount. Plus an 870.

Buncheong
11-17-19, 00:15

Yep...

Gunnar da Wolf
11-17-19, 09:25
.44 Marlin levergun, .44 S&W Mountain Gun, .44 Ruger SBH. Plus I reload and I cast bullets that work in all of them.
If things got really pushy/shovey they would all work with black powder. But I’m an old man with lots of Unique and 2400 on the shelf...

SilverBullet432
11-17-19, 10:29
Got the Dirty 30-30 racked and ready! ;)

Pi3
11-17-19, 15:19
For a while now, I have been looking at the S&W 8 shot 327 with 4" barrel.

Coal Dragger
11-20-19, 03:16
I dislike the thread premise, but what the hell.

Not a fan of lever actions to be honest, and these days finding a good one is either going to cost $$$ or be a crap shoot. The Browning BLR would be my choice in the lever gun segment though, since I am not willing to step down to the relatively inefficient ballistics of most tubular magazine lever action oriented cartridges. I suppose if we are talking about a situation where you can still get parts, factory support etc then the BLR is not a bad choice if a lever is your poison. At least you get to enjoy real grown up high powered rifle caliber choices and ballistics. If the situation is one of no more factory support, limited parts, bad situation then one of the older Marlin or Winchesters would be my choice. I guess a 1895 Winchester in .30-06 would be no slouch, just need to get an optic on it somehow.

Personally my choice would be a bolt action since they are simple, reliable, and tend to lend themselves to being very strong and accurate. My hipster choice if we are able to get factory support and service is a Blaser R8, for all around work, probably a 20" .308 with a good low power variable in the 1-8X class, maybe a few other barrels/calibers for other chores or activities. Strait pull bolt so it is super fast to cycle, great trigger, and a reputation for stellar accuracy. I'd set it up more or less as a scout rifle. If service is not available then I'm building something on a Remington 700 pattern receiver so at least triggers, bottom metal, stocks, magazines etc can be used in the event something goes wrong. If it can be set up in .308 with an 18"-20" barrel of good quality, in a nice fiberglass stock or carbon fiber stock, with a good barrel, good trigger, and bottom metal that will run SR-25 mags or AICS (don't care which) then top it with a decent low to mid range magnification optic I'll be OK with that.

Sidearm, DA revolver with a good DA trigger service done on it. Not particularly picky about caliber, .357 or .44 will work, I lean towards the .44 if the situation is such that factory ammo or components are not readily available. A cast lead .429" bullet of 240gr doesn't have to be made to go as fast to be as effective or more effective than a cast lead bullet of .357" diameter that is 158gr for example.

So broken down into scenarios it looks like this:

1.) Situation allows for factory warranty and servicing, readily available ammo and reloading components:

Long gun 1st choice, Blaser R8 in .308 with a 20" bbl wearing a high quality low to mid magnification variable optic. Set up more or less like a scout rifle.

Handgun 1st choice, Korth Mongoose 4" bbl, with auxiliary 9X19mm cylinder. Figure out how to get a red dot on it.

2.) Factory service is no longer available, factory ammo limited, reloading components scarce, you are on your own.

Long gun 1st choice, Remington 700 footprint action for parts availability, I'd probably lean towards a Stiller Tac30, 18-20" bbl chambered in .308, lightweight composite stock, bottom metal made to run SR-25 mags for availability. Optic same as scenario #1. Chamber to be cut for reliability, and prefer a chrome lined hammer forged barrel of light to medium contour. The name of the game is durability and reliability with useful precision out to rifle engagement distances utilizing common ammo.

Handgun 1st choice, Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum, 4' bbl with some extensive work done on the action by someone like Hamilton Bowen to make the DA useable and tighten the gun up to make it shoot like it should. Not a big fan of Rugers but they are very stout and in a scenario where the gun has to work and continue working in an austere environment then that is my choice, plus they are very common so parts will be relatively available. The big bore makes casting bullets a viable ammo solution since velocity can be backed off to mitigate barrel leading while still maintaining effective power levels.

Pi3
11-20-19, 08:38
CD, Forgert this premise for a minute, I want that Rem 700 you just described.

Bulletdog
11-20-19, 08:50
CD, Forgert this premise for a minute, I want that Rem 700 you just described.

Well for the moment, this is still America and you can have it anytime you want. Even in commie controlled territories. I don't think anyone has any idea how things will be or where we will be headed 12 months from now...

TMS951
11-20-19, 09:42
A Q Fix and Mini Fix

Light, straight pull bolt action fed from AR10/15 mags

MountainRaven
11-20-19, 12:31
Oh hell.

A Tikka T3x Arctic and a S&W PC model 19.

drsal
11-23-19, 08:10
Just for theoretical consideration, two S&W model 627 eight shot .357 revolvers and two mossberg 8+1 590 mariner shotguns. These will pretty much cover hiking, hunting, and an untoward social situation. Just some simple, basic, and easy to maintain items that can be had any state.

Arik
11-23-19, 08:19
No love for the Ruger scout carbine?

Coal Dragger
11-23-19, 18:20
Well if we’re considering factory built scouts or scout like rifles I would put the Ruger near the bottom of the heap.

ABNAK
11-23-19, 18:38
Shy of an AR or other semi-auto, a .357 lever gun would meet many requirements.

Troy at one time (not sure if they still make them or not) produced pump-actions AR's, both in 5.56 and .308 and they took detachable mags.

Evel Baldgui
11-24-19, 08:57
Most of the alternatives proposed are fairly straightforward and practical, just boils down to personal preference. Some can use a shotgun with slugs and be accurate to 50-100yds...I cannot,
I would opt for a lever .357, 30/30, or the ruger scout with 10+1 capacity in .308 or 5.56, if I were to reside in a more rural area. As mentioned, it would depend on ones location, urban vs. rural. If faced with limited choices, and living in an urban environment, as I do, my choice would simply be a pocket 340pd for every day carry, shockwave shotty to keep in vehicle; and have duplicates at home. As a previous post stated, simple and easy to maintain items.

ramairthree
11-25-19, 11:29
I’m sort of disappointed nobody has posted a picture of themselves with dual nylon shoulder holsters sporting a brace of Judges loaded with alternating 410 slugs and shot, another pair on each hip in uncle mike holsters loaded with 45 colt,
And a fancy sling on a circuit judge carbine with red dot, laser, light combo.

Arik
11-25-19, 17:41
Shy of an AR or other semi-auto, a .357 lever gun would meet many requirements.

Troy at one time (not sure if they still make them or not) produced pump-actions AR's, both in 5.56 and .308 and they took detachable mags.Back in 2006 or so there were AKs like that too

Arik
11-25-19, 17:52
I’m sort of disappointed nobody has posted a picture of themselves with dual nylon shoulder holsters sporting a brace of Judges loaded with alternating 410 slugs and shot, another pair on each hip in uncle mike holsters loaded with 45 colt,
And a fancy sling on a circuit judge carbine with red dot, laser, light combo.You mean 90gr projectiles with velocity similar to a 380 with 5 rounds in a 3lb gun?

Coal Dragger
11-25-19, 19:16
And a fancy sling on a circuit judge carbine with red dot, laser, light combo.

Just head over to The High Road (thehighroad.org) and you will find plenty of said photos.

nof555
12-07-19, 03:53
I live in VA so I already had to prepare for January. I'll admit I do enjoy these though, both are 357. Henry and S&W M&P R8 https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/332225f4a16c4a057dd9df002ee1fa33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk