PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ordered from Ammoman???

Razorhunter
11-16-08, 20:36
Guys,
I recently made the mistake of starting this exact thread over on AR15.com, and for some reason, the mods locked the thread, stating that there are "NO AMMOMAN THREADS ALLOWED ON AR15.COM"

I have no idea why. I guess they don't like Ammoman.com.

Anyhow, here is what I posted, and would like feedback on, if you guys could help out.

I am having trouble determining if Ammoman has the ammo I want in stock, and they are hard to get in touch with IIRC.
Is ammo listed on their site generally considered to be IN STOCK, or has anyone found it to many times be out of stock?
I guess I'm looking to find out if anyone has ever made a purchase online from Ammoman, only to find out the ammo was NOT in stock???

Secondly, I have never really liked ordering from them, because they want you to fax them a copy of your Drivers License and I don't have a fax machine. IIRC, not only do they want you to fax a photocopy of your DL, but they also say it must be an "enlargened" photocopy.
However, my buddy recently placed his first order with them, and the ammo showed up at his house without signature confirmation required, and he had not faxed them his DL photocopy. (which is how it SHOULD be delivered BTW, just as many other ammo dealers will deliver it. IMO, Ammo SHOULD be shipped WITHOUT PROBLEMS, and WITHOUT having to take off work just to go down and sign for ammo)
Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has recently placed an order with them, without having to fax your DL info? They will get a lot of business from me if I don't have to jump through hoops to get the ammo. I'm just never off work to be able to go and use a public fax machine anyway...
Thanks for any help.

ToddG
11-16-08, 20:45
I've had both good and bad dealings with them.

If everything arrives and works as expected, they're fine. Prices are usually very competitive and ordering online is pretty easy (once they have the necessary documentation).

If anything is problematic, they take a pretty tough stance. I bought a few cases of non-toxic frangible ammo from them a couple years ago. The stuff was clearly factory seconds and 10-20% of the rounds would not fire after multiple hammer strikes. Ammoman wouldn't reimburse me for any open boxes (even though my 'training' with the ammo was zero because of all the problems) and wouldn't pay for shipping the ammo back to him.

In their defense, their website very clearly states exactly how they do business. So, if you don't like it -- I don't -- you just have to be smart enough to shop somewhere else.

Natchez Shooting Sports and AmmunitionToGo are ten times better than Ammoman in my opinion, and if they are marginally more expensive I think the few extra shekels are worth it. YMMV.

Cold Zero
11-16-08, 20:48
Yet, another vote for someplace other than ammoman. They are difficult.:eek:

Razorhunter
11-16-08, 20:51
Thanks for the heads up.
And BTW,
Trust me, I really have ZERO interest in even dealing with Ammoman because of his nonsense "enlargened drivers license photocopy" requirements/etc.
However, the ONLY reason I'm even considering dealing with them, is because he *may* have some ammo in stock that I can't find elsewhere for the time being...
That's why I'm trying to determine if his website stays current with what's in stock and what isn't??
Thanks...

RAM Engineer
11-16-08, 21:02
Darn...I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered some stuff from ammoman on Friday. I'll let you know if it works out allright. The last time I dealt with them was probably 8 years ago, and that went fine.

Don Robison
11-16-08, 21:43
I've bought in the neighborhood of 15-17K rounds from ammoman over the last 2-2 1/2 years and always been happy. Erik even went out of his way to help me get an order placed last week while I was out of the country and having trouble with a foreign server and my credit card. Ordered it on Monday it showed up to a buddies house on Saturday.
He has been behind a little since the election and has been not taking orders off and on through the week in order to get caught up on shipping and to update the website with what is actually in stock. In one email I got from him while trying to get my order placed he said they were getting 100+ multi case orders per day and pretty swamped.
I also order from Natchez, it just depends which one has what I want in stock at the cheaper price.

NoBody
11-17-08, 06:27
Deleted.

rob_s
11-17-08, 07:04
Another happy ammoman customer.

In my experience, if it's listed as "in stock" on his site, then it's in stock. He even pulls the listing when he gets short. I've called several times on items that he has listed as "out of stock" and he's had several cases still there, he just changed the listing early to be sure. I think this is a great practice personally.

The barfcom stuff was over a POS SKS purchase that some geek made. I didn't understand the particulars because I don't understand:
1) Collectors.
2) People that collect cheap shit.
3) People that collect SKSs.
4) People that buy "collectibles" over the internet.

Erik absolutely takes a very hard-ass approach to returns and such, and as Todd mentioned he's very clear about it on his site.

I have generally found that he's no more or less expensive than anyone else, but I like the "shipping included" pricing instead of wasting time clicking around a website looking for the shipping, often to be told that it will be added to the order after I submit it!

Not sure I understand the issue with the DL. I guess if it's a requirement I must have sent mine in ages ago. I know that he is not the only ammo seller that requires this, and many allow you to email it as well, which is why I have a copy of an enlarged scan of my DL and CWP saved on the thumb drive on my keychain.

drsal
11-17-08, 08:27
I have never had any issues w/ ordering anything from ammoman, put in the info and a few days later everything requested is delivered with no problem.

CarlosDJackal
11-17-08, 08:59
I have been dealing with Erik in person (long before he had a website) and online for the past 20-years and have never had an issue with him either way. Of course, I've never had to return any ammo I've bought from him so take it FWIW. Good luck!!

markm
11-17-08, 09:24
The barfcom stuff was over a POS SKS purchase that some geek made. I didn't understand the particulars because I don't understand:
1) Collectors.
2) People that collect cheap shit.
3) People that collect SKSs.
4) People that buy "collectibles" over the internet.

Exactly. I actually posted this sentiment over on ARF and had the geek in question IM me. :p

I've never had to send my DL copy to him, but I haven't ordered in a couple of years. I've never had any problems with his customer service. He sent UPS to my house to pick up a wrong shipment and got the right ammo out to me.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from ammoman if I needed something he had.

Iraqgunz
11-17-08, 11:09
I sent Eric a scanned copy of my license via email a couple of years back and they processed my order with no problems. Since then I have purchased about 4K rds. of various calibers from him (the most recent was 5 days ago 1K Federal 5.56) and the ammo has already shipped. As a matter of fact some of the ammo the MarkM aka demigod shot while I was on R/R came from the ammoman. I have never had any issues with his ammo, service or prices. I say give it a shot and judge for yourself. If it isn't in stock they will let you know. I have found that what's on the site is pretty accurate. YEMV

Steve in PA
11-17-08, 14:59
I've ordered from Ammoman and have no complaints. My first order, for soem Hornady TAP ammo got a little screwed up, but he made it right. I just took delivery of 1k of Wolf MC ammo. If he has the ammo I want for the price I like, I'll buy from him again.

As for the reports against him, well...............there are two sides to every story and the truth is usually in the middle.

RyanS
11-17-08, 16:09
I've received a couple thousand rounds from them over the years and I've never had any problems.

30 cal slut
11-17-08, 16:57
i've ordered stuff from eric (last time was the LAV handgun class this past sep) with no problems.

williejc
11-19-08, 23:11
My one order from Ammoman was shipped promptly, and the merchandise was as stated.

m4fun
11-20-08, 21:26
Ordered quite a bit over the years - no problems. In the WWW era I really appreciate the included hazmat and shipping. No surprises...

achildofthesky
02-17-09, 21:53
I have ordered and received all of my orders from Ammoman without issue at all. In the last decade or so I bought 'prolly 15k -18K of 9mm and another several thousand other calibers like 40 S&W and 44 mag. I haven't had a need to buy in the last 3 years though... I wouldn't hesitate to order again unless I saw definitive proof of problems there.

I always enjoyed the look on the UPS guys face when asks "scuse me Maam, why do you need 5 thousand rounds of ammo for?" In a halting giggle with my biggest crazy google eyed look I always said "well you never know" snatch the ammo and slam the door....

Patty

bill_d
02-20-09, 20:45
i have found the ammoman operation GTG.
without getting into details,
the DL copy is not strictly necessary.

it's in the fine print

chadbag
02-21-09, 00:34
I have ordered a lot from ammoman.com but most of it was around 98-99. I did get a little a year ago. All has been effortless and GTG.

Buckshot TX
02-21-09, 23:18
I've been using Ammoman for 3-4 years & it's always gone smooth & arrived fast.:)

dbrowne1
02-25-09, 14:45
I had ordered a few times from Erik the Ammoman years ago and had not issues with my orders.

That said, I wouldn't buy anything from them again due to their current policies and due to the fact that the owner has become a bit less than tolerant of anyone who questions him in the slightest. A few years ago he had some ammo in stock and I made the mistake of asking a couple of perfectly legitimate questions about it (type of ammo and origin) on barfcom and he and his internet cronies flamed the hell out of me and pretty much said that anyone who argued with them or had the audacity to ask questions about a product being sold was a pansy.

His prices are on par or slightly higher than others. No need to put up with him or his policies given that.

Mark71
02-25-09, 14:48
Eric is a good guy to deal with. It just sucks that he is basically sold out of everything!

firthcpt
02-25-09, 22:36
I have ordered a bunch of of rounds from AmmoMan over the years and have had no problems. Quick shipping and if it shows on site he has it and will ship it quick. To bad it is slim pickings right now but hopefully he will get restocked soon.