PDA

View Full Version : Reading List

ryanm
11-16-08, 20:49
I know with all the rampant "Obama-nation" fear out there, I figured I'd post a good reading list for some of the theories on how things can go. The plight of man and the search for freedom/authenticity is always an interesting subject.

I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as we think. The Olduvai Theory is another possible outcome and I'm not looking forward to devolving to a hunter gatherer species in my lifetime.

List to follow:
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Enemy Mine by Barry Longyear
A Scanner Darkly by Philip Dick
Fatherland by Robert Harris
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (the book is much better than the movie, and I didn't think the movie was all that bad)
We by Evgenil Ivanovich Zamiatin
Brave new world by Aldous Huxley
Make room Make room by Harry Harrison
Logan's Run by Willian Nolan
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Crime and Punishment by Richard Pevear
The Brother's Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
The Master of Petersburg by J Coetzee
Blade runner by Scott Bukatman
Player Piano by Kurt Veonnegut
A Clockwork ORange by A Burgess
1984 by George Orwell
The Iron Heel by London Jack
When the Sleeper Wakes by HG Wells
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I'm sure I've missed a few, but I haven't read all the material out there that relates to this subject. I'd have to say my all time favorite and most recommended would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Fountainhead is a good follow up.

Solomon
11-17-08, 09:21
To add to the list, some of these (http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/books.aspx) look interesting.

ryanm
11-17-08, 10:54
"Surviving the Collapse" looks interesting. Are you sure I'm not going to end up on an FBI watch list ordering from this site? :)

BlueForce
11-17-08, 20:49
"Surviving the Collapse" looks interesting. Are you sure I'm not going to end up on an FBI watch list ordering from this site? :)

You're already on all their lists... All they'd say is, "there he is again." :D

mtsusean
11-17-08, 21:25
Unintended Consequences by John Ross

mayonaise
11-17-08, 21:58
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0452011876/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226980629&sr=8-1)

Medicine Calf
11-17-08, 22:59
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote

ryanm
11-18-08, 03:32
Outside of the extremely long John Gault speech towards the end, Atlas Shrugged was one of the best books I've ever read. I re-read it every year or so just to make sure it stays fresh in my mind.

(I think that speech was more about Ayn Rand saying everything she wanted to say without character development)