PDA

View Full Version : NFA question about pistol cal.

Hallboss
11-16-08, 21:48
I don't know if makes a difference or not, but when you put a pistol cal upper on a AR is it still considered a "rifle" needing a 16" barrel or is it now a "pistol" and can have a shorter barrel, i.e. 10."

Thanks in advance.

hatt
11-16-08, 22:35
The barrel has to be 16+ inches regardless of caliber or registered as a short barreled rifle with the ATF .

Hallboss
11-16-08, 22:44
Okay that's what I was asking. I live in CA so I cannot own a SBR no matter what. I just didn't know if the pistol cal made the gun a "pistol."

Thanks

Jack_Stroker
12-16-08, 22:31
Okay that's what I was asking. I live in CA so I cannot own a SBR no matter what. I just didn't know if the pistol cal made the gun a "pistol."

Thanks

The lower had to be created as a pistol lower. Basically some manufacturers do this by putting a buffer tube on the lower that won't accept stocks without changing the buffer tube and the lower is stamped "Pistol." Mine is a "Pistol" stamped lower with a 10" upper chambered in 5.56x45mm / .223 Remington. Regardless of the fact that it uses a rifle caliber, the weapon is still legally a pistol.

halo2304
12-22-08, 17:20
I recently bought a stripped lower with the intentions of building a rifle but have not put a stock on it yet. When I bought it, I filled out the new yellow NICS forms which asks if the item is a handgun, rifle or other. Since I bought a stripped lower, it's considered "other." Can I make a pistol out of it instead of a rifle? It's a Stag lower and is not marked "Pistol" or "Rifle."