PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Optics

NinjaMedic
11-16-08, 23:18
I am finally looking to move from an Eotech to an Aimpoint. Most of the threads that I have found on here are should I use an eotech or an aimpoint and none of them seem to really break down the models that Aimpoint (or Eotech to be fair) offers. I would like to hear the practical, real world experiences that many of you have leading you to pick one model over the other. With them offering the T-1, M2, ML2, M3, ML3, M4, M4S I would like to hear why certain people choose one over the other. I carry an LMT 10.5 in my vehicle and am looking to drop my EOTech from the platform due to battery life concerns. Thanks Guys!

CarlosDJackal
11-17-08, 00:25
A T-1 is so light (even with a Larue mount) that it does not add to the carbine's weight whatsoever. YMMV.

westcoastfrog
11-17-08, 01:34
you'll probably see most people recommend the t-1 or the new comp m4. personally i still prefer the comp m2. i know the t-1 is super light and have shot well with it but i feel like i'm searching for the optic because the tube is so small. i hear great things about the m4 but just don't see anything so greatly different about it that it makes me wanna buy a new one. i've been able to find a used comp m2 in great condition for 200 bucks so i still roll with that.

Failure2Stop
11-17-08, 04:32
A 10.5 begs for a T-1.
As westcoastfrog brought up, you might have difficulty finding the dot in the T-1 if it is mounted at the front of the receiver.
I prefer to have mine mounted further back, just forward of the BUIS. The rearward placement makes the tube appear larger, and thus the dot is easier for me to find.

Here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19722) is a neat discussion on the T-1. In it The_Katar discusses how he is employing his T-1 as far as cowitness and zero is concerned, which sounds very applicable to me.

matthewdanger
11-17-08, 06:57
I have and use Aimpoint M2, ML2, M3, and a T1. Right now the 2 series (M2 and ML2) Aimpoints are some of the best deals going in optics. You give up some runtime (10,000 hours isn't shabby) but you still get a stout optic that will serve you well. The used market is full of 2 series Aimpoints.

The 3 series Aimpoints are kind of in a strange in-between place right now. The 2 series is cheap and there are newer options out there like the T-1 and the M4. The price is decent but these are kind of a red headed step child as long as the T-1 and M4 are available. If you need a 2MOA dot and 50,000 battery life, the 3 series is your only choice (the 2MOA is nice with a magnifier).

The T-1 offers nearly everything that the 3 series offers but in a much smaller and lighter package. My T-1 in LaRue mount weighs 6 1/8 ounces. An M2 in LaRue mount weighs 11 1/8 ounces. The T-1 also has a great brightness adjustment knob that I would Aimpoint would use on all their sights. Folks have been saying that the T-1's dot is more like 3 MOA even though it is listed as 4 MOA and my experience bears that out. It works great with a magnifier.

I don't have much experience with the M4 so I won't comment on those. I hope the above ramblings help.

rob_s
11-17-08, 07:08
I would like to hear the practical, real world experiences that many of you have leading you to pick one model over the other. With them offering the T-1, M2, ML2, M3, ML3, M4, M4S I would like to hear why certain people choose one over the other.

I think you'll have a hard time finding someone with "real world" experience with more than a couple of the different models, if for no other reason than time and cost.

this might help you with the specs a least (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69037.html)

My take on the Aimpoint line in general is this

No need for deep diving or NV, and on a budget?
Aimpoint C3

Need a deeper waterproof rating?
Aimpoint ML3

Need the deeper rating and NV?
Aimpoint M3

Need the most robust and bomb-proof sight Aimpont has ever made?
Aimpoint M4

Need a compact and/or lightweight solution without the need to dive or NV?
Aimpoint H-1

Need a compact and/or lightweight solution and you dive with it or need NV?
Aimpoint T-1

rob_s
11-17-08, 07:11
I prefer to have mine mounted further back, just forward of the BUIS. The rearward placement makes the tube appear larger, and thus the dot is easier for me to find.

This is an excellent point.

The only shortcoming of the Micros that I have come across is the slightly tighter tube makes for a slightly less forgiving sight picture. Meaning that, once in some of the less conventional firing positions that we can find ourselves in, the dot can be harder to find.

I am also playing with moving mine slightly further back to try to alleviate this.

Jay Cunningham
11-17-08, 08:30
Another aspect to it (depending upon end-user preference) is that the smaller tube body actually allows for a very effective "dead dot" ghost ring. In order to maximize this characteristic one would need to run an absolute co-witness with a folding rear sight and the Micro mounted forward - ideally, with the crossbar on the receiver and the front of the mount partially on a continuous rail system such as a DD Lite Rail.

This does indeed make the dot a bit harder to pick up from the ready but you can achieve very effective hits at 25m with the dot turned off.

Something to consider.

NinjaMedic
11-18-08, 16:57
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate your time, All useful information.