PDA

View Full Version : Is Federal loading Winchester 5.56?

mack7.62
11-19-19, 14:49
Picked up a couple of 200 rd boxes of ammo at WallyWorld, FC .223 lot # SMQ19G824-042 headstamp FC 223 REM and Winchester 5.56 lot # SMQ19K859-081 headstamp WIN USA 5.56. Isn't Federal/Lake City the only ones using the SQM lot numbers? If so sure looks likely they are loading bulk ammo for Winchester.

The_War_Wagon
11-19-19, 17:13
Yep. They bought the plant.

223to45
11-19-19, 18:59
Yep. They bought the plant.Since when?

They won the contract to produce ammo at the LC plant.

But I dont believe Winchester has taken over yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Uni-Vibe
11-19-19, 21:18
What's the headstamp say?

opngrnd
11-19-19, 21:34
I hope Winchester doesn't ruin Lake City's quality. Their 223/5.56 brass doesn't have the reputation that LC does. I never sort brass on purpose, but I've been willing to keep the brass from green tip separate to ensure quality once fired brass for giggles. Everything else goes in the same bucket.

sinister
11-20-19, 18:31
Olin will run the plant as contractor. The government still owns the plant and infrastructure and all ammo that passes inspection. Those .mil standards are specifically in the contract -- if output doesn't meet Army standards it's pulled, scrapped, or sold as waste.

Typically that meant Federal sold "XM" or "PD" ammo. Good enough to go bang at competitive price, but not meeting military contract acceptance standard. As waste or reject they can sell it cheaper than .gov ammo (by contract no provider of .mil stuff can sell identical standard product to the open market for cheaper than Uncle Sam pays for it).

It's up to Olin to keep the ammo to standard. If bullet or brass dies start wearing out it's their responsibility to trouble-shoot, notify the government, and reduce waste. It's their production-salary profit dollars down the toilet for every rejected round/batch/lot .gov doesn't accept and they can't get return from (as either "XM," "PD," or pulled-down but usable-sellable components).

Same practice as ATK.

If you think Olin (and Remington before them) produce perfect ammo then I'd start to worry. If you think they do OK, then there may be trickle-down to .civ sport and recreational shooters.

CrowCommand
11-20-19, 19:14
What's the headstamp say?

He stated that in the OP.

Picked up a couple of 200 rd boxes of ammo at WallyWorld, FC .223 lot # SMQ19G824-042 headstamp FC 223 REM and Winchester 5.56 lot # SMQ19K859-081 headstamp WIN USA 5.56. Isn't Federal/Lake City the only ones using the SQM lot numbers? If so sure looks likely they are loading bulk ammo for Winchester.

Humpy70
12-08-19, 18:35
Lake City is what is referred to in Ordnance jargon as a GOCO plant Gov't owned, contractor operated. In full up war production known as 386 they can run 77 Million rounds per day last I heard (total of all calibers loaded inclusive of Cal 50 BMG.