PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Handguard on LMT Upper

javentre
11-17-08, 05:53
I recently picked up a new LMT 16" upper. It didn't come with hand guards, which I expected. I did have an extra set left over from a Bushmaster XM15E2S and tried to install them, but they seem like they are about 1/8" too long to install. I'm fairly sure I'm compressing the spring as far as it'll go, since I've got 2 sets of hands on it.

Is this just a case of Bushmaster using different parts than LMT, and I've got to pick up another set?

bkb0000
11-19-08, 18:50
I recently picked up a new LMT 16" upper. It didn't come with hand guards, which I expected. I did have an extra set left over from a Bushmaster XM15E2S and tried to install them, but they seem like they are about 1/8" too long to install. I'm fairly sure I'm compressing the spring as far as it'll go, since I've got 2 sets of hands on it.

Is this just a case of Bushmaster using different parts than LMT, and I've got to pick up another set?

no clue.. but you could probably just take a file to the piece of shit and beat it in there with a heavy mallet.

bigshooter
11-19-08, 22:13
just take a file to the piece of shit and beat it in there with a heavy mallet.

Don't forget the Dremel.

:D

kong
11-20-08, 05:58
I have several LMT's. I have swapped hg's around several times,rails,factory M4's and the old CAR type, moslty to find ones that my boys like. It is almost a 2 man operation, the factory spring is very stiff. My surplus USGI upper w/ a flat delta ring is much easier, I can change those in about 30 seconds with out using the hg tool.

Have you tried the hg removal tool?

javentre
11-20-08, 06:12
It appears that I was mistaken, and was not fully compressing the spring. I was able to wiggle them in there, but it wasn't even remotely easy, or something I could do in the field.

I'm going to get a quad rail at some point in the near future, so this just has to buy me some time. I spent entirely too much money on ammo, lowers, and other parts this month.

Perhaps in January ...