PDA

View Full Version : Get your womenfolk trained!

rob_s
11-17-08, 09:07
My girlfriend of 3.5 years just finished her first handgun class this past weekend. The class was LADIES ONLY HANDGUN with Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics (http://cumberlandtactics.com/index.htm) and was held at the Southern Exposure Training Facility (http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/) in Lakeland, FL. The course description from Randy's site is as follows

Women can do anything the men can do, sometimes better.

They have an open mind, they listen, and they don't bring preconceived and sometimes misguided notions to the table. I find that women can make great students.

This class is virtually the same as Tactical Handgun Basics, but without all the testosterone pollution in the air. ;)

The 2-day course is adapted to address a few issues specific to women, such as carrying a handgun in a purse, and holster selection based on individual body types.
Ammunition Requirement: 400 Rounds.

Anyone that knows anything about women, teaching, or both, knows that women don't tend to respond very well to the boyfriend/husband/brother/father instruction model. They are too emotionally tied to the relationship, too concerned with disappointing the "teacher", and often won't express questions or concerns in that environment. Randy's Ladies Only class eliminates that issue. Also, Randy has a female AI on the line to address any women specific types of questions. Not to mention that Randy himself has done enough of these classes to be able to anticipate just about any issue that may come up.

TD1 began with the students arriving at the range. There were 19 women in this class, and I would guesstimate that at least 3/4 were accompanied by their menfolk. We all arrived at the range by 8:30, the men hung around until about 10, and then we were banished so that the women could begin shooting. We returned at 4:30 to pick them up and a large group of us went to dinner.

My girlfriend was exhausted, and in looking around the table at the other women, I could tell that many of them were too. At breakfast the next morning we found out that many skipped the dinner because they were simply too tired. Those of you that have trained before understand this completely. For most of us we do not spend 8 hours a day outdoors on our feet. Add in to that a stressful learning situation, holding a 2 lb object out at arm's length all day, and trying to absorb all that information and a full day at the range can be taxing.

TD2 was handled much the same way, but ended with group photos, handing out of certificates, goodbyes and exchanging of emails with new friends, and everyone went their separate ways.

The drive home was really the best part of the whole weekend for me. She had so many questions about tactics, gear, mindset, technique, it was fantastic. Randy covers the condition levels (white, yellow, etc.) as well as discusses things like books from the likes of Jeff Cooper. My girlfriend already wants to pick up a couple of Cooper's books, was talking about what we can do to raise her son's awareness level out of white, etc.

Interesting too was her already heightened sense of situational awareness. When we pulled in to get gas on the way out of town, there were two shady characters parked at the pump in front of us. When I got done and we were pulling out, she started discussing them, why they looked shady, what she would have done if something had happened, etc. I also helped out in pointing out some cues that she may have missed (like the fact that two guys were stopped at a gas pump, outside the car, but not pumping gas) and it was a good opportunity to expand on what she had already learned.

This class has also clearly helped in her comfort level around all sorts of firearms in general, and her Glock in particular. She went into the class completely cold having never fired a pistol, and with her only range time limited to my AR and the 10/22 we bought her son earlier this year. Her confidence level was through the roof at the end of TD2 compared to the start of TD3.

So, get your womenfolk trained! If you love them, and care about them, it should be just as important to you to get them some quality training outside of you flapping your gums at them. When we signed her up for this class a year ago it was mostly out of fun, but with the changing times I think it's a mandatory skillset that she needs to have but will hopefully never use.

As usual, Randy is an instructor without equal. The man is a TEACHER above all else, and I will put his skills as same up against anyone I've ever come across from kindergarten through graduate school, and every piano, tennis, golf, etc. lesson in between. His patience (especially in a class full of 19 women of various skill sets) is un paralleled.

Special thanks as always to Irv of Southern Exposure for putting on these classes, and his wife Watfa for all her attention to the ladies and her work as Randy's AI. Better people you would be very hard pressed to find, and their obvious commitment to helping people get the skills they want and need is amazing. Training at Southern makes you a part of the family, and Irv and Watfa are definitely the parents of that family, with all that that implies.

rickp
11-17-08, 09:31
My girlfriend attended the training and was full of questions and positive comments on the way home.

I second all that Rob wrote.

R.

ST911
11-17-08, 10:14
Increasing the representation and and enthusiasm of lady shooters is key to the survival of the shooting sports. That 50% of the population has been historically ignored, or at best, humored.

The better activities and instructors catering quality services to the ladies have been wildly successful.

Good on Randy et al for making one happen for those gals.

oregonshooter
11-17-08, 16:06
Getting them to a class is optimal, but you can train them yourself in the basics. My wife and I just got back from the range this morning. She only goes about 2-3 times a year, but that is enough to keep her familiar with the weapons I have so that she could operate them if needed.

Don't think that you wife or GF will be able to "just shoot him" if you need their backup! They do not know what you do and do not have the muscle memory that you take for granted.

crossgun
11-17-08, 16:13
As long as she and the kids can jam mags I will take care of the rest.

oregonshooter
11-17-08, 16:21
The best backup to a carbine is a friend with another.....

Buckaroo
11-17-08, 16:50
My wife took a ladies only class last year and I just recently picked up a Ruger Mark II for her to get more trigger time with.

She did really well in the class and enjoyed it.

I am hoping to get her shooting matches with me next year. My son (15) shoots matches with me now.)

Buckaroo

ToddG
11-17-08, 18:28
Anyone that knows anything about women, teaching, or both, knows that women don't tend to respond very well to the boyfriend/husband/brother/father instruction model. They are too emotionally tied to the relationship, too concerned with disappointing the "teacher", and often won't express questions or concerns in that environment.

Obviously, that depends tremendously on the specific couple.

Also, as a general rule, I'd say the girl's "emotional ties" are only half the problem. The guy also tends to bring his own baggage to the show. I've seen otherwise decent instructors act like complete buffoons when teaching their wives/girlfriends how to shoot. We tend to have much higher expectations and much less patience.

I might tell a student to fix his grip twenty times over the course of a 2-day class. But the second time I have to tell my wife I'm thinking, "WTF? If you're not going to listen to me why am I wasting my time?!?" :cool:

The influence goes beyond just directly teaching, too. As I've relayed before, I won't let married (or otherwise closely "involved") couples near each other during a class. I've seen far too many husbands "explain" things to their wives in a way that just confuses the girls and puts even more stress on them. It's a recipe for disaster.

HeadHunter
11-17-08, 19:42
The influence goes beyond just directly teaching, too. As I've relayed before, I won't let married (or otherwise closely "involved") couples near each other during a class. I've seen far too many husbands "explain" things to their wives in a way that just confuses the girls and puts even more stress on them. It's a recipe for disaster.

Amen to that. I had two friends and their significant others come out to the range a while ago. One had all these ideas about what he wanted his wife to do. I told him: "you go down on the other end of the range and do what you want to do. I will handle the ladies." Consequently, the ladies had a great time and want to get more instruction.

Olav
11-17-08, 20:09
My wife and I went through a couple of Louis Awerbuck courses and he encouraged us to work together to support the notion of a team covering for each other in the case of a home defense situation. Since we were the only couple he also pitted us against each other during certain drills to prove his sinister little points. Throughout all the courses, we were never put in a situation where we were purposely seperated

All in all I'm very happy that my wife and I are on the same page with respect to training etc. especially since we had one of the best instructors IMHO teaching us both.

She went in with a solid foundation from me showing her the basics as we have no problem learning and interacting together in order to better ourselves as a couple.

She's a trooper!

We're going to take a carbine course together next year too because she'd like to learn that weapons system better!