PDA

View Full Version : Pin & Weld

rainman
11-24-19, 16:57
I recently had need for a pin & weld for a muzzle device on a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. I contacted John Thomas at Retro Arms...

https://www.retroarmsworks.com/

John was prompt to respond to emails and did a fantastic job with a great turnaround time at a reasonable price. I would post pictures but I don't have a camera with the precision needed to see the detail...the work is that clean.

I realize that pin & weld isn't something that's done very often as most folks simply go with a 16" barrel or SBR setup, but in the event someone needs this service, John does outstanding work and is great to deal with. John also offers a number of other services.

-Rainman

kyjd75
11-24-19, 17:11
I have had John do a couple of pin and welds for me, as well as cutting a barrel on another rifle. He does fantastic work and his turnaround time is unbelievable. I would recommend John Thomas (Retro Arms Works) for any gunsmith service that he offers. I can't imagine anyone better.

Renegade04
11-24-19, 17:22
Here is the pin and weld he did on my M4A1 Block II barrel.

https://i.imgur.com/43VbcRX.jpg

John does great work. He is a consummate professional.

Buncheong
11-24-19, 18:37
I have a Colt SOCOM barrel in need of P/W but didn’t know where/to whom to send it.

So this thread is timely - thanks, OP!

26 Inf
11-24-19, 21:22
I've read through the ATF NFA handbook (ATF E-Publication 5320.8, Revised: April 2009) and this what I find, 2.1.3 Rifle, page 6:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

Is there another source for the rules for pinning? The reason I ask is that I don't see anything about having to leave evidence of pinning, so I wonder why folks put up with rough welds.

It seems to me that 1) I've never seen an ATF agent actually visiting ranges and doing random inspections of firearms; so 2) if you have the ATF up your ass about your pin and weld job, you've got other things to worry about.

There are numerous non-destructive ways to verify the device is pinned if you are successful at making it invisible upon close examination (which is unlikely).

I'm getting ready to do my first one, the pin will be BDC on the barrel, it will be finished and cold-blued.

Just curious.

mark5pt56
11-25-19, 07:19
While true if it's being checked that it's probably being held in the evidence locker. I think most like to have something readily identifiable if it was being checked on that odd off chance it was noticed otherwise.

everready73
11-25-19, 09:08
Never hear a bad thing about John. I have sent multiple items for work and always happy. The best part is his pricing is better than other well know places (i.e ADCO) so the value is great!

Renegade04
11-25-19, 11:45
I have a Colt SOCOM barrel in need of P/W but didn’t know where/to whom to send it.

I sent you a PM.

rpoL98
11-25-19, 15:53
The reason I ask is that I don't see anything about having to leave evidence of pinning, so I wonder why folks put up with rough welds.

It seems to me that 1) I've never seen an ATF agent actually visiting ranges and doing random inspections of firearms; so 2) if you have the ATF up your ass about your pin and weld job, you've got other things to worry about.

There are numerous non-destructive ways to verify the device is pinned if you are successful at making it invisible upon close examination (which is unlikely).

I'm getting ready to do my first one, the pin will be BDC on the barrel, it will be finished and cold-blued.

Just curious.

Not necessarily a duly-appointed badge-carrying federal ATF agent, but another other reason for leaving obvious visual evidence is because of perhaps overzealous Nazi range officers on the prowl, and loud-mouth dumfuq Fudds who hate anything "tactical". "Here! See! it's welded! now go back to your own bench and STFU."

weld evidence to avoid unwanted attention. Depends on where you are, some shooting environments are just not as receptive to CQB AR's.

scottryan
11-26-19, 16:28

How about no pin and weld? SBR instead?

kyjd75
11-26-19, 17:09
I have done both. I currently have Four (4) pin and weld 14.5s, and two (2) SBRs. Each have their merits, but if I had to chose only one, I would go with the Pin and Weld for lack of hassle and paying the government $200 per lower.

NYH1
11-26-19, 22:12
It's not just the BATFE you have to worry about. Local, county and state police can jam you up just about as bad. I pin and weld mine and leave the weld visible and dab some dark greyish paint over it.

Just my $.02, NYH1.

ABNAK
11-27-19, 18:17
If I was going to SBR something (I haven't) it would be a truly "short" barrel, like 10.3" or 11.5". For a 14.5" I'd just pin and weld, not worth the NFA hassle.

I can also highly recommend John Thomas. Actually answers his phone, good price, excellent work, and unbelievable turnaround time.

I think leaving the weld on a P/W job ever-so-slightly visible is prudent. I'm talking you have to look close at it to notice.

veeklog
12-04-19, 17:19
I have used JT for many of my projects to include pin and weld on a few 14.5” SOCOM barrels. JT’s work is fantastic, and I am sending in a Colt SOCOM upper to him so he can pin and weld the flash hider with a KAC spacer (making it 16.1”)