PDA

View Full Version : New barrel break in

jackinfl
11-17-08, 09:39
Guys,
need advice on barrel break in. Is it a nice to do thing or is it a MUST do procedure?

I am referring to a Remington 700 Barrel

What is the exact method and what are the cleaning tools that are used.

I was told this:
Clean every shot for first 10 shots
Clean every second shot for 10 shots
Clean ever fifth shot for 20 shots

Regular rifle bore cleaner on a brush folllowed by dry patch.

Advice, recipe and directions appreciated.

Jack

Robb Jensen
11-17-08, 09:42
I just shoot them and clean when I get home/work. I don't believe in the voodoo of barrel break-in.

Fringe
11-17-08, 09:56
This is confusing me too. At first, I thought the only barrel that needed breaking in was the stainless barrel, but now that I am getting a precision rig, I am learning that people don't even break in their stainless barrels and some do. I just have not decided what I believe yet. I am leaning to not worrying too much about it. But I like taking care of what needs taking care of.

jackinfl
11-18-08, 13:31
I called Remington and asked them. They said it is not necessary but if you want to clean after each shot for the first 20 the every 2 shots for the next 20 then you are done...

I am not sure what i am going to do....

Dave L.
11-18-08, 13:38
A copper jacketed bullet does not "smooth" anything out until you get into the thousands of rounds, but that is just normal wear.

Break in is a WASTE OF TIME. Shoot all day, clean, repeat the next day. KISS

Fringe
11-18-08, 14:20
Ok, I am officially not going to mess with it.
Thanks fellas.

Dave L.
11-18-08, 14:55
Ok, I am officially not going to mess with it.
Thanks fellas.

I'm not saying the "break in" procedures will harm the barrel, it's just a waste of time and solvent, you wont gain or lose any accuracy by doing it or not doing it.

SoDak
11-18-08, 22:24
I'm sure glad to know that I didn't screw anything up by not breaking the barrels in on my rifles.

RedMan*
11-19-08, 01:31

Littlelebowski
11-19-08, 06:55
I'm not saying the "break in" procedures will harm the barrel, it's just a waste of time and solvent, you wont gain or lose any accuracy by doing it or not doing it.

+1. Just a waste of time, rounds, and barrel life.

rob_s
11-19-08, 07:45
I was told this:
Clean every shot for first 10 shots
Clean ever fifth shot for 20 shots

That's what I did when I had mine. Used the time to rough sight it in and all that too.

I pushed a wet patch through, then a dry patch, repeated until the dry patch came out clean and dry.

My 700 never saw a bore brush.

Used a one-piece coated Dewey rod (that I probably still have somewhere if you want it) for all my cleaning.

While it may be voodoo, it didn't hurt anything either.

If I were buying today I'd probably just shoot it.

jackinfl
11-19-08, 09:40
Bring it Friday if you do not mind...

jchtrh
12-20-08, 03:54
+1. Just a waste of time, rounds, and barrel life.

Another Vote, Clean bore before first shot and clean after you are done shooting.

POF.Ops
12-24-08, 16:56
Here is how Remington recommends breaking in and cleaning their precision rifles:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/downloads/m24_maintenance.pdf

This is kind of a follow up, with detail listing of products too:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/DA%202005.06MH.pdf

On the few occasions I've broken in a precision barrel I've followed this procedure up to 50 rounds. At that point the bore mops were coming out pretty clean so I called it good. With my GAP I clean every 20-30 rounds and use copper cleaning solvent every 50-60 rounds. Two pieces of equipment are essential, a bore guide, and a coated one-piece cleaning rod. Be very careful around the crown area to reduce wear and tear on it. YMMV.

Toten Kopf
01-05-09, 14:53
**********************end of line