PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Scope Suggestions Under $400 - Scope Purchased

AndyLate
11-25-19, 22:30
I have trouble keeping up with the newest offerings, but I know some of you are a lot better "switched on".

What scope would you recommend for general big game hunting if we keep the scope under 4 bills? I would like to be set for deer/antelope/elk in the southeast and midwest. A plex reticle is fine for me, as is 10x on the high end and second focal plane.
Mounting length needs to be 5.5 inches at a minimum and a 1" tube is preferred. No Chinese scopes please.

I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on one 30-06 and need a scope for a second. I am considering a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope based on generally good reviews, 6" bell-to-bell tube length, and having a set of the excellent Leupold Alumina lens covers on hand.

What other scopes are in the same general price and quality class?

Thanks

Andy

RobertTheTexan
11-25-19, 23:02
Andy

I cannot recommend the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 scope enough. It isn’t to your exact specs but I actually prefer the additional capabilities of the 2.5-15. I bagged a 9pt early this morning and this evening when I was hunting I was able to pick up enough light in the scope to see a raccoon eating. My Steiner binos couldn’t bring as much light. I was so impressed. The eye relief is a solid 4” and while the reticle may take some getting use to it is an incredibly capable reticle. I’e bought two and one went into an AR-10 I did an extensive upgrade on.m for a friend. The owner has a Vortex Viper HS and and after viewing the Athlon glass it is definitely more clear - edge to edge clear than his Vortex. It isn’t subjectively more clear, it is OBVIOUSLY more clear. My buddy who was a huge Vortex fan (binos, range finder and more scopes) is a bona fide Athlon fan and will only run Athlon optics now . The turrets are it’s weakest point as they are tactical turrets only and out of the box mine were a little mushy. I contacted Athlon and tried their suggestion and now I have very positive clicks. Another good friend of mine who checked out my scope has already purchased two.

I guarantee you that for $386 you will not get more clear glass and such good eye relief. This is my first time hunting with it and I am beyond satisfied, especially when I had lost almost all natural light yet my scope picked up enough light for me to watch a raccoon eating dinner about 100yd from my stand (no deer tonight but I’m headed out in the AM again. I have mine on my Remington 700 bolt gun and wouldn’t switch it out for a scope twice its price.
Athlon has a similar forever warranty except they don’t repare the scope they send you a brand new one.
Here’s the link where me and my buddy bought ours. Let me know if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/athlon-optics/athlon-optics-ares-btr-2-5-15x50-aplr3-ffp-ir-mil/4627e640-9b15-0135-d0eb-00163e90e196?variation=1614462

CameraLand NY is 100% GTG. Very solid people and super helpful.

If you do decide to go this route be sure to select “free shipping” which in all likelihood will be USPS Priority Mail. So shipped to your door for $386.

Sorry for any typos it’s been a long day and I need to crash for a very early wake up at stupid dark 30. Good luck and hit me up if u have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
11-25-19, 23:06
One last point I belive the 2.5-15 Athlon takes Butler #19 and #40 caps. I found a really good buy and fast and cheap shipping. I’d you’re interested, let me know.

AKDoug
11-26-19, 02:07
I have trouble keeping up with the newest offerings, but I know some of you are a lot better "switched on".

What scope would you recommend for general big game hunting if we keep the scope under 4 bills? I would like to be set for deer/antelope/elk in the southeast and midwest. A plex reticle is fine for me, as is 10x on the high end and second focal plane.
Mounting length needs to be 5.5 inches at a minimum and a 1" tube is preferred. No Chinese scopes please.

I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on one 30-06 and need a scope for a second. I am considering a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope based on generally good reviews, 6" bell-to-bell tube length, and having a set of the excellent Leupold Alumina lens covers on hand.

What other scopes are in the same general price and quality class?

Thanks

Andy

I'm a huge fan of the Leupold 2.5-8 VX3i.. Light weight, does everything you need for a good hunting scope for shots at 400 yds and under. I'm ordering one tomorrow for my new .375HH.

AndyLate
11-26-19, 06:47
Robert, the Athlon is undoubtedly a great scope (and STRONG on the performance-vs-price scale), but it's simply not what I am looking for (FFP, exposed turrets, and 27 oz).

Doug, why do you prefer the 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10? They are priced about the same right now. I could live with 8x on the high end - it's replacing a VX2 2-7 that's moving to a compact .223. You don't anticipate mounting issues (5.1" bell to bell) on a 375? The 3.5-10 mounting space is 6".

It's hard to explain, but the Vortex doesn't "look right" on my blued steel and walnut Mauser. It looks right at home on my stainless Ruger with its paddle stock, though.

Thank you both!

everready73
11-26-19, 07:55
Robert, the Athlon is undoubtedly a great scope (and STRONG on the performance-vs-price scale), but it's simply not what I am looking for (FFP, exposed turrets, and 27 oz).

Doug, why do you prefer the 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10? They are priced about the same right now. I could live with 8x on the high end - it's replacing a VX2 2-7 that's moving to a compact .223. You don't anticipate mounting issues (5.1" bell to bell) on a 375? The 3.5-10 mounting space is 6".

It's hard to explain, but the Vortex doesn't "look right" on my blued steel and walnut Mauser. It looks right at home on my stainless Ruger with its paddle stock, though.

Thank you both!

If the Athlon doesnt fit the bill, I would still reach out to Camera land NY. Asked to talk with Doug. He is super knowledgeable and will be able to make a solid recommendation what you are looking for. They carry a bunch of brands

RobertTheTexan
11-26-19, 07:57
If the Athlon doesnt fit the bill, I would still reach out to Camera land NY. Asked to talk with Doug. He is super knowledgeable and will be able to make a solid recommendation what you are looking for. They carry a bunch of brands

Doug is awesome. Simple azzat

AKDoug
11-26-19, 22:56

Thank you both!

Weight. I hate heavy shit :D Actually, the 2.5-8 was the original and I don't think the 3.5-10 existed when I was looking. Honestly, I think the 3.5-10 would be a great choice. As for the short length of 2.5-8, Talley makes an extension base for my Kimber that allows it to work. I'm hoping there will be enough room to adjust for me. If not I have other rifles it can go on. The VX3i's strike a balance for price and performance for me.

AndyLate
11-27-19, 07:33
Weight. I hate heavy shit :D Actually, the 2.5-8 was the original and I don't think the 3.5-10 existed when I was looking. Honestly, I think the 3.5-10 would be a great choice. As for the short length of 2.5-8, Talley makes an extension base for my Kimber that allows it to work. I'm hoping there will be enough room to adjust for me. If not I have other rifles it can go on. The VX3i's strike a balance for price and performance for me.

Thanks! The VX-3i scopes are pretty attractive right now, I believe they are marked down due to the move to the VX Freedom line. That also means the time to buy is limited, of course.

I suspect I will be calling Camera Land as soon as we get Xmas shopping done.

maximus83
11-27-19, 15:01
Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40, with Firedot illum mildot retical and 1/10 mil adjustments. Just a tad over your budget at $419, but a fantastic proven optic, good glass, at a good price, weighs 15oz and has great eye relief.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009581380

jsbhike
11-27-19, 16:04
Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40, with Firedot illum mildot retical and 1/10 mil adjustments. Just a tad over your budget at $419, but a fantastic proven optic, good glass, at a good price, weighs 15oz and has great eye relief.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009581380

If the turrets are like the 1.25-4x VXR Patrol they can get knocked off very easily getting in and out of vehicles. Other than that they are nice on clarity, weight, eye box and illumination. I switched to the VXR Hog since the hinting models are capped.

AndyLate
11-27-19, 16:20
Perhaps a plain VX-R rather than the Patrol? Capped turrets and a price break - $350 at Midway USA

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362260291

Other than illum. (which I can live without) and a 30mm tube, what is the benefit over a VX-3i?

grizzman
11-27-19, 17:34
The VX-3i is available in a simple duplex or Boone & Crockett reticle (and others if you scour the used market). The VX-R Patrol is only offered with a mil dot reticle (which is actually quite thick in my 3-9). Depending on past experience, the mil adjustments of the VX-R Patrol can be either positive or negative. I can tell no difference in the glass quality.

I haven't accidentally moved the turret of the VX-R yet. I did rub the turret against stuff when I first read of this complaint, and it didn't concern me enough to do anything about it.

jsbhike
11-27-19, 21:30
The VX-3i is available in a simple duplex or Boone & Crockett reticle (and others if you scour the used market). The VX-R Patrol is only offered with a mil dot reticle (which is actually quite thick in my 3-9). Depending on past experience, the mil adjustments of the VX-R Patrol can be either positive or negative. I can tell no difference in the glass quality.

I haven't accidentally moved the turret of the VX-R yet. I did rub the turret against stuff when I first read of this complaint, and it didn't concern me enough to do anything about it.

The 3-9x may be the difference. My only VX-R Patrol experience was with the 1.25-4x and the model I have seen the turret complaint on, and I even purchased it after a couple of reviews thinking they had to be creating some kind of self fulfilling prophecy scenario.
. It would self adjust sliding it across the seat from a combo of turning easily and very aggressive checkering. Even when I put plastic wrap over it I would occasionally get some clicks off so I parted with it which sucked because I really did like the circle/cross hair set up on it.

Did a VX-R vs. VX3i search earlier and several hits seemed to indicate the 3i had better coatings and image quality.

AndyLate
11-28-19, 06:57
Did a VX-R vs. VX3i search earlier and several hits seemed to indicate the 3i had better coatings and image quality.

My search turned up the same result.

SageRatSafaris
11-30-19, 09:57
I have an optics database, so I did a quick filter.
* Capped or locking turrets
* Inclusive of 3-9X mag range
* Street price between $250 and $500

Here's the list:

Athlon Argos 3-15x40
Atibal Nomad 3-12x44
Hawke Frontier 3-15x44
Hi-Lux M40 3-9x40
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40
Leupold VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 CDS
Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40
Nikon PROSTAFF P5 3-12x42SF
Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40 FFP BDC
Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x50 FFP BDC
SIG Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x50
SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight
TRACT TURION 3-9x40
Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40
Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50 PA
Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40

gunnerblue
12-01-19, 09:38
My search turned up the same result.

As has mine, Leupold makes excellent GP hunting scopes within your parameters. The fact that you the most excellent Alumina flip caps on hand would seal the deal for me.

Andyink
12-02-19, 11:22
The VX-3i is awesome. I've also used a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 which works like a champ. Holds zero perfectly, turrets produce an audible click sound and the glass is great. Can't go wrong with Leupold or Vortex. Source: https://scopesfield.com/best-scope-for-6-5-creedmoor/

AndyLate
12-02-19, 17:05
Thanks, everyone. Looks like a few sellers have the VX-3i 3.5-10x40 duplex for ~$300. A little more than I paid for my Viper HS 2.5-10, but it was marked waaaay down.

Andy

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-02-19, 19:53
Accupower 3-9 or find a used accupoint 3-9. The accupoints with the triangles are my favorite hunting optic.

AndyLate
12-03-19, 07:36
Accupower 3-9 or find a used accupoint 3-9. The accupoints with the triangles are my favorite hunting optic.

A bit outside the $400 window. I have a Accupower 1-4 and it is a nice optic.

everready73
12-03-19, 10:04
If you can live with 1.5x8 i think the Vortex Razor LH is worth looking into. Glass on these is probably better than any other option. It is a little smaller at 1.5x8x32, but a really good optic for the price. The 2x10x40 is a little outside your price range at $691 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-1-5-8x32-Second-Riflescope/dp/B019ZUE18W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=razor+hd+lh+1.5&qid=1575388886&sr=8-1

gunnerblue
12-03-19, 12:01
If you can live with 1.5x8 i think the Vortex Razor LH is worth looking into. Glass on these is probably better than any other option. It is a little smaller at 1.5x8x32, but a really good optic for the price. The 2x10x40 is a little outside your price range at $691 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-1-5-8x32-Second-Riflescope/dp/B019ZUE18W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=razor+hd+lh+1.5&qid=1575388886&sr=8-1

I have the 1.5-8 on a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel- it is indeed a nice little optic. Glass is very clear and reticle is bold and useable (I have the plex-type with BDC). My only complaint is the eye box gets tight at 8x, otherwise it’s fine.

AndyLate
12-03-19, 14:42

A Vortex Razor under $400 and less than 14 ounces? Has to be fake :)

P.S. Yes, my reply was tongue-in-cheek. I'm not sure if I can get away with a 5" mounting length scope on a long action Mauser rifle.

Bimmer
12-05-19, 11:50
$400 gets a reallllly nice Nikon, especially if you want 1" tubes.

I have several, including a couple 3-12x42 Monarchs, and they're nice, especially for the price (≈$300).

For <$400, you can get one of their fancy "Black" scopes, but they're 4-16x and 30mm tubes.

AndyLate
12-05-19, 12:27
What is a nice Nikon? They have multiple levels in Prostaff and Monarch.

Bimmer
12-05-19, 12:36
What is a nice Nikon? They have multiple levels in Prostaff and Monarch.

I would go straight to Monarch...

I have one Prostaff "Shotgunner" on a old .22lr, and it's OK, but it's definitely a <$200 scope. The adjustments and everything just feel cheaper.

The old "Monarch 3" scopes had 1" tubes, and they're still out there for sale brand-new, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Monarch3-3-12x42-Matte-BDC/312852374007?epid=2255401922&hash=item48d77461f7:g:ShoAAOSwP~Fd0px-

(Not my ad, no connection.)

If you can bear the thought of exposed turrets and 4-16x, then brand-new X1000 and FX1000 (FFP) scopes are selling for <$400 on eBay...

AndyLate
12-05-19, 18:23
I would go straight to Monarch...

I have one Prostaff "Shotgunner" on a old .22lr, and it's OK, but it's definitely a <$200 scope. The adjustments and everything just feel cheaper.

The old "Monarch 3" scopes had 1" tubes, and they're still out there for sale brand-new, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Monarch3-3-12x42-Matte-BDC/312852374007?epid=2255401922&hash=item48d77461f7:g:ShoAAOSwP~Fd0px-

(Not my ad, no connection.)

If you can bear the thought of exposed turrets and 4-16x, then brand-new X1000 and FX1000 (FFP) scopes are selling for <$400 on eBay...

EuroOptics has great prices on the P and M Tactical scopes - picked up a P-Tactical 2-7 rimfire scope there last month.

I have a Nikon Black 1-4 as well that was too attractively priced to pass up.

I considered an MRAD or MOA 4-12 M-Tactical scope (not for a 30-06), but there are just not a lot of reviews out there. That kind of holds true for the Nikon scopes in general, unfortunately.

everready73
12-05-19, 20:28
I have heard good things in the nikon black scopes

One thing to consider is they just recently announced they are getting out of the scop optics market. Not sure how that would affect warranty/support etc... I would see least look into this

AndyLate
12-05-19, 20:33
I have heard good things in the nikon black scopes

One thing to consider is they just recently announced they are getting out of the scop optics market. Not sure how that would affect warranty/support etc... I would see least look into this

Yeah they announced that right after I bought the 1-4 Black Force 1000. Nikon will still honor the warranty, supposedly - not sure how that works after they run out of spare scopes or parts.

Bimmer
12-06-19, 01:31

Nikon will still honor the warranty, supposedly - not sure how that works after they run out of spare scopes or parts.

Ugh, I wasn't aware of this... I guess this explains the screaming deals on X1000 and FX1000 scopes.

FWIW, Nikon's customer support thus far has been terrific in my experience. I've bugged them for little things like turret caps, and they've been very quick and helpful.

AndyLate
02-05-20, 20:12
I would like to thank everyone for their input.

I rolled the dice and ordered a Nikon Monarch 5 2-10x42 on clearance for two bills.

Andy

Bimmer
02-05-20, 20:13
I rolled the dice and ordered a Nikon Monarch 5 2.5-10x42 on clearance for two bills.

That's a great scope at a fabulous price... I have two of them, and I paid more like the $300, after a lot of shopping around.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nikon Black X1000, illuminated, for $387 shipped...

Life's a Hillary
02-06-20, 08:35
SWFA fixed 6x is the way to go for a budget hunting optic. Great glass, undeniably dependable in terms of durability, tracking, return to zero, maintaining zero, etc. Great field of view and enough magnification to take pretty damn far shots on game. I’d trust it over any scope close to the same price point.

Pappabear
02-06-20, 09:16
Vortex Diamondback with EBR reticle FFP

PB

AndyLate
02-06-20, 11:13
Vortex Diamondback with EBR reticle FFP

PB

I know there are a lot of FFP fans and understand the purpose/use for long range shooting. I also get why hunters flocked to the SFP variables when they became available.

It's hard to find a reticle that's actually useful on 2X and 10X, for example.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 on an AR, and that's where it will stay. Give me a reticle that remains the same size for a pure hunting rifle.
Andy

AndyLate
02-16-20, 07:06
I took the rifle to the range for zeroing yesterday. The Monarch is very bright/sharp/clear, it will be interesting to compare it to my Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 scoped rifle.

I'm very pleased with it for the price and will use the money I saved on a much needed Rifle Basix trigger for my M77 MKII.

Andy

P.S. I spent the last year or so mainly shooting 5.56/.223 out of bolt guns/ARs. I squeezed the first 30-06 round off with the butt lightly touching my shoulder - holy crap!

gaijin
02-16-20, 07:48
Think-"tight/compact" Andy. ( :

Auxier
03-09-20, 20:22
Arken Optics SH-4 4-14X44, with ZERO stop and glass etched reticle. And its price is within your budget. You can give it a try.

https://www.arkenoptics.com/sh-4-14x44-riflescope-p00094.html