PDA

View Full Version : handguard recomendations

kschwan
11-05-06, 20:05
Hello, this is my first post here. As luck would have it I found this site just as I was thinking about upgrading my current handguards to a railed system. I am looking at Larue since I already have 2 of their mounts and like them alot. The AR I am going to change is a 16". I am not sure of the length though. I want to have a longer length than I currently have. Will have to change out the gas block for a lower profile.
What suggestions do you have

K

David Thomas
11-05-06, 22:23
I love the Larue handguards for a rock solid 4-rail set up.

I also like the less popular JP Enterprise handguard as it allows you to attach rails only where you need them. I have never had a problem with mine, but they do not seem as sturdy and bullet proof as the Larue.

I have recently purchased a VLTOR CASV-EL from G&R Tactical and it rocks. Takes 2 minutes to install and requires no special tools, yet free floats your barrel and gives you rails only where you need them. This setup also does not seem to get as hot as the Larue, but you are less flexible with optic setups.

nyeti
11-06-06, 00:17
I've always recommended two ways to go on this. For ease of installation, price, and a rock solid mount, I like the Surefire forend. If you are willing to take the front sight off, and disassemble the gun, then the LaRue is the hot ticket. You can use a LaRue low profile gas block if you want to go with a longer rail.

45-Bravo
11-06-06, 07:32
My vote goes towards Larue. I have two of their 12" models, you can't beat their quality.

joe long
11-06-06, 12:26
I'm a fan of the JP handguards for the vast majority of things. They are pretty easy to install and you get rails where you want them. If you want a quad rail free float tube, the LaRue is the only way to go. They are easy to install, rock solid, and light weight.

KevinB
11-06-06, 14:38
Larue.

While I prefer the KAC URX system -- (and have three :D ) The Larue rail is best of the available systems by far.

kschwan
11-06-06, 18:26
thanks for the feedback. What length do you suggest? Like I said I would want something that extends past were my current gasblock is. 16 inch ar
K

k9dpd
11-06-06, 18:40
12 inch looks good on a 16 inch gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/k9dpd/chair.jpg

M4Guru
11-06-06, 19:39
I like what K9dpd has going on. The 12" rail looks good on a 16" barrel.

As for the rails, I recommend Larue above all others, or the KAC free-float RAS.

Erick Gelhaus
11-07-06, 11:59
from an installation stand point, the SF M73 Nyeti mentioned is quite simple. I've got one on a non-work AR

Like many here, i've gone with the LaRue answer. I was able to pick up a 12" LaRue that someone had cut down to 10". I also installed a LaRue low profile gas block at the same time. Did the work myself, the instructions were simple to follow but I've had a bit of time replacing parts on ARs /M4s/M16s.

I recently installed a YHM free float rail on a co-worker's AR. I was underwhelmed with the product and tweren't thrilled with the installation.

My recommendation would go to either the full boat LaRue or the SF M73.

Erick

graffex
11-07-06, 16:53
double-post

graffex
11-07-06, 16:59
I love Larue rails but I like Daniel Defense lites the best. There the same high quality as Larue but allow you to have a continous upper rail, there light, and they also have a anti-rotation system like Larue.

kschwan
11-07-06, 19:49
K9dpd thanks for the Pic that is exactly what I am looking for. What Handguards are those? You may have said. I am looking to install myself. Never had much of an issue working with any of my guns before (and I know a gunsmith I can call if I mess up).

I post some pics after I am done.

K

k9dpd
11-07-06, 20:39
that rail is a DD, I have another with a 13.2 Larue rail, both are very nice rails