PDA

View Full Version : Got denied pending yesterday

GH41
12-01-19, 17:50
Got denied a transfer yesterday (11/30). Guy at the shop said it has happened a lot recently. Said they are busy and this seems to backup what he said. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/12/01/2019-black-friday-background-checks-rank-2nd-highest-history/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=todays_hottest_stories&utm_campaign=20191201:p

AKDoug
12-01-19, 19:43
Denied or delayed? There is a HUGE difference. A deny is permanent until you get it cleared up with the FBI. A delay is simply them doing more research or something is slowing down their research. It seems to be becoming more common, but most of mine that I handle are cleared up within 15 minutes or so.

GH41
12-02-19, 06:59
The gunshop guy said denied but gave me a date (the 5th) or sooner. He got my phone number and said sometimes they call right back. Sounds like he meant delayed.

rjacobs
12-02-19, 07:00
yea thats a delayed.

It happens when NICS is stupid busy.

MountainRaven
12-02-19, 12:43
yea thats a delayed.

It happens when NICS is stupid busy.

It can happen for a million reasons, including IT problems, but because of confidentiality, you'll likely never know why.

OH58D
12-02-19, 12:48
Even during slow times of the year, I have experienced a delay or pushed to a secondary level when I've had pending NFA stuff like a Form 1. It's always been resolved in 15 minutes or less.

Tx_Aggie
12-02-19, 12:57
The gunshop guy said denied but gave me a date (the 5th) or sooner. He got my phone number and said sometimes they call right back. Sounds like he meant delayed.

Agreed, sound like he meant delayed. He must be new, because that's not something gun shops generally get confused.

GH41
12-02-19, 15:52
He got the approval call at 2 this afternoon. He says it happens a lot. Maybe it has something to do with him doing on a cell phone.

BoringGuy45
12-02-19, 16:02
When I did gun sales, most people who got delayed had no reason for the delay. Sometimes it just happens randomly. People who get a true denial usually know, or have at least an idea, as to why, even if the denial was wrong.

Pappabear
12-02-19, 16:12
Do you have a Concealed Carry permit?

PB

C-grunt
12-02-19, 16:25
Around age 25 I started getting delays often. Once I started putting my social security number of the 4473 I havent been delayed again in a decade.

fhk96
12-02-19, 16:43
I get a delay every time since I got a clearance.

jpmuscle
12-02-19, 16:45
Permits, clearances, et al have nothing to do with it one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
12-02-19, 16:57

I was told otherwise by NICS. Granted that was more than 10 years ago, but I was getting delayed every time. When I requested explanation from NICS they said it was related to security clearances and the only way to clear it up was to apply for a PIN from them ( or get a ccw which is what I did) have done some regular transfers lately with a check and now have no problems.

12-02-19, 17:32

Same. Probably coincidence though.

12-02-19, 17:33

In South Carolina, there is no such thing as delayed if you have a CCP.

.45fan
12-02-19, 18:01
In South Carolina, there is no such thing as delayed if you have a CCP.Are you saying they don't call because of CCP or that when they do call it is automatically approved?

MountainRaven
12-02-19, 18:03
Are you saying they don't call because of CCP or that when they do call it is automatically approved?

Federal law permits FFLs to use a concealed weapons permit in lieu of a background check.

fhk96
12-02-19, 18:08
Federal law permits FFLs to use a concealed weapons permit in lieu of a background check.

The ATF shut that down in AL after a few sheriffs departments weren't doing background checks on CCWs and some felons and the like slipped through.

12-02-19, 18:11
The ATF shut that down in AL after a few sheriffs departments weren't doing background checks on CCWs and some felons and the like slipped through.

I bought a lower like a week ago with my CCP, no phone call.

GH41
12-02-19, 18:23
Not to hijack my own thread but nothing to do with an additional licence like CCP or tax stamp interest me. When they come to get them I don't want to be first in line. I just want to be one of the 242,000 approved to own last week!

AKDoug
12-03-19, 00:00

I have three regular customers that get a delay EVERY time... and they buy lots of guns. The common thread among all of them is that they held clearances in the military.

Not all C.C. licenses make you NICS exempt. There is a specific process to qualify and not all states follow it, but most are falling in line.

Watrdawg
12-03-19, 07:27
Thankfully in NC if you have a CCP you do not have to go through the background check. No worries about being delayed.

.45fan
12-03-19, 13:20
Federal law permits FFLs to use a concealed weapons permit in lieu of a background check.The reason I asked is in MI our CPL can be used to bypass a NICs call, if the FFL wants to do that. However most box stores (Dunham's, cabelas, bass pro, etc) still make the call.

I am curious if a delay would/could happen in that situation.
The person I quoted made it sound like it absolutely was not possible to get a delay with a carry permit, which is why I asked.

AKDoug
12-04-19, 00:06
The reason I asked is in MI our CPL can be used to bypass a NICs call, if the FFL wants to do that. However most box stores (Dunham's, cabelas, bass pro, etc) still make the call.

I am curious if a delay would/could happen in that situation.
The person I quoted made it sound like it absolutely was not possible to get a delay with a carry permit, which is why I asked.

That's weird that they want to make the call. Labor costs are real and controllable. I LOVE it when someone comes in with a NICS exempt license. Check the box on line 21, fill out the info, rock on..

26 Inf
12-04-19, 02:41
That's weird that they want to make the call. Labor costs are real and controllable. I LOVE it when someone comes in with a NICS exempt license. Check the box on line 21, fill out the info, rock on..

From what I've read over time, I;m trying to envision your operation - do you sell groceries/convenience items?

arbninftry
12-04-19, 09:36

This also varies by state. Texas allows you to not need a NICS. Oklahoma still does a NICS check regardless of your CHL

I believe there is a requirement levied on the states for them to waive the NICS check.

titsonritz
12-04-19, 13:52
This also varies by state. Texas allows you to not need a NICS. Oklahoma still does a NICS check regardless of your CHL

I believe there is a requirement levied on the states for them to waive the NICS check.

^^This. Use to work in Oregon, not anymore it was a state thing.

AKDoug
12-04-19, 14:28
From what I've read over time, I;m trying to envision your operation - do you sell groceries/convenience items?

Small town hardware store and lumber yard is my primary business. We are also a Stihl dealer and tool/equipment rental.

FFL is a public service to the community as we don’t have a reliable one close. I stock a limited amount of firearms to keep the ATF happy, but primarily do transfers.

I also have a small trucking operation for hire that does freight for my business and other businesses, plus flatbed and lowboy hauling.

In our free time my wife and I have two Air BnB homes and an RV park opening in 2021.

We never stop moving and I love my life.

26 Inf
12-05-19, 03:21

Sounds good. Loving life, that's what counts!

Thanks!

SeriousStudent
12-05-19, 17:11
Small town hardware store and lumber yard is my primary business. We are also a Stihl dealer and tool/equipment rental.

FFL is a public service to the community as we don’t have a reliable one close. I stock a limited amount of firearms to keep the ATF happy, but primarily do transfers.

I also have a small trucking operation for hire that does freight for my business and other businesses, plus flatbed and lowboy hauling.

In our free time my wife and I have two Air BnB homes and an RV park opening in 2021.

Man, if you had hot soup or BBQ, I'd probably never leave your place. :) It sounds awesome!

AndyLate
12-05-19, 20:22

I'm still super pissed about it. Have to hang around like a freakin commoner while the store calls the feds now. All because some lazy ass Bubbas couldn't be bothered to do their job.

26 Inf
12-06-19, 02:44
like a freakin commoner

Really? Have you heard about Propertarianism? :jester:

M_Rapp
12-06-19, 09:08
I have three regular customers that get a delay EVERY time... and they buy lots of guns. The common thread among all of them is that they held clearances in the military.

Not all C.C. licenses make you NICS exempt. There is a specific process to qualify and not all states follow it, but most are falling in line.

Is there a way to see what state's allow this?