PDA

View Full Version : First-time Eotech owner: What do I need to know?

Diamondback
12-01-19, 21:22
It's time for another case of "The Newb Asking For The Hive Mind's Wisdom." Bear in mind I have almost zero experience with optics (frankly, almost all my experience is iron sights regardless of platform), and I recently got made a too-good-to-pass-up offer on an Eotech 552 with the laser (single beam, not IR-capable DBAL) add-on, so I need to ask for you guys to give me an "Eotech Boot Camp."

1. What are the minimum add-ons and spare parts I should get ASAP? I already have a lens cover and QD adapter from GG&G on the way, and I found a compatible tape-switch on eBay. I know spare terminals/contacts and springs for the battery box are a good idea.

2. Are there any special tips and tricks not mentioned in the manual that I should know about?

3. Anything else not covered in the above two?

Wake27
12-01-19, 23:55
Honesty the stuff you have coming in sounds unnecessary to me, though I don’t know what you mean about the laser. I had the covers on my 512 when it was mounted on a paintball gun in 10th grade. Never really saw a need for them when I was old enough to start shooting. The battery contacts can be a PITA, I’d hope they have that fixed by now though. My 553 had the issue years ago IIRC, pretty sure I sent it in and never had another problem.

I’m waiting for someone to come in here and proudly declare that you’ll need spare batteries.

Wake27
12-01-19, 23:56
Double.

Diamondback
12-02-19, 00:18
Thanks, Wake. Already have a nice brace of Energizer Lithiums for a start; the laser I have is the discontinued LBC.
https://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/laser-battery-cap (as opposed to LBC2, which has both visible and IR laser assemblies)

Covers may not be necessary, but as a fumble-fingers who invariably ends up grabbing my glasses by the lenses when I'm trying for an earpiece they're a "peace of mind" investment and will hopefully help keep bag/case-crud away. (The GF picked GG&G's "Front Toward Enemy" version, we're trying to mimic a buddy Up North's setup when Canadians deployed to the Rockpile.) Hopefully they got it debugged well before mine even started on the factory floor, it has a March 2019 build date.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-02-19, 09:22
For spare parts I'd say next time you're at Sams Club buy the biggest bulk pack of AA's you can find and then make sure you have a good set of back up irons to compensate for all that thermal drift you're about to experience.

contax_shooter
12-02-19, 12:08
You can attach hand warmers to the optic to alleviate the thermal drift that was mentioned above.

dwhitehorne
12-03-19, 15:56
We run 552's and 512's at work. You must get lithium or use rechargeable batteries. The alkaline batteries always leak over time and ruin the electronics. I have a whole drawer of ruined Eotechs in the Armory. Also for cheap insurance if you can, store the rifle muzzle down. That way if the batteries somehow leak they will not leak into the sights. All of our rifles in the cruisers are muzzle up and all of the racks in the Districts hold the weapons muzzle up. When the batteries leak and the rifle is muzzle up the liquid gets in the body of the sight and ruins it. Our Eotech's are all between 8 to 15 years old. I ran Eneloops AA batteries and changed them every quarter and never had a problem. We issue low bidder GSA batteries and they corrode all the time. David

Diamondback
12-03-19, 16:30
We run 552's and 512's at work. You must get lithium or use rechargeable batteries. The alkaline batteries always leak over time and ruin the electronics. I have a whole drawer of ruined Eotechs in the Armory. Also for cheap insurance if you can, store the rifle muzzle down. That way if the batteries somehow leak they will not leak into the sights. All of our rifles in the cruisers are muzzle up and all of the racks in the Districts hold the weapons muzzle up. When the batteries leak and the rifle is muzzle up the liquid gets in the body of the sight and ruins it. Our Eotech's are all between 8 to 15 years old. I ran Eneloops AA batteries and changed them every quarter and never had a problem. We issue low bidder GSA batteries and they corrode all the time. David

Good to know, thanks--I'm running lithiums right now, though the optic isn't mounted on its host rifle; I'll mount it when the time comes to sight in and zero. I've been looking for USB-rechargeable AA's that'll work, but so far haven't been happy with any of the candidates' milliamp-hour ratings. On the other hand, half the runtime doesn't matter as much if I can recharge it...

CAMagnussen
12-03-19, 16:43
IMHO, what you need to know is you need to sell your Eotech and buy an Aimpoint T-2.

docsherm
12-04-19, 15:40
It's time for another case of "The Newb Asking For The Hive Mind's Wisdom." Bear in mind I have almost zero experience with optics (frankly, almost all my experience is iron sights regardless of platform), and I recently got made a too-good-to-pass-up offer on an Eotech 552 with the laser (single beam, not IR-capable DBAL) add-on, so I need to ask for you guys to give me an "Eotech Boot Camp."

1. What are the minimum add-ons and spare parts I should get ASAP? I already have a lens cover and QD adapter from GG&G on the way, and I found a compatible tape-switch on eBay. I know spare terminals/contacts and springs for the battery box are a good idea.

2. Are there any special tips and tricks not mentioned in the manual that I should know about?

3. Anything else not covered in the above two?

It will be just fine. It is a good optic. Only thing you may want to look at getting is a riser mount to get the optic to a lower 1/3. YHM, LaRue and I think that MidWest Industries makes them. You would want one the normal lower 1/3 risers and not one of the stupid super tall ones.

ggammell
12-04-19, 17:44
IMHO, what you need to know is you need to sell your Eotech and buy an Aimpoint T-2.

I'm glad to see that you've only been here 2 months and yet know how to repost comments from 2014.

The guy is asking for help. Don't tell him to sell what he bought to get your preferred flavor. It doesn't help.

Diamondback
12-04-19, 18:26
I'm glad to see that you've only been here 2 months and yet know how to repost comments from 2014.

The guy is asking for help. Don't tell him to sell what he bought to get your preferred flavor. It doesn't help.
Thanks for the backup, amigo. The other reason I'm asking is, having not seen any kind of "Eotech 4 N00bs" anywhere on M4C or the rest of the Web, I thought spinning up the discussion might help others down the road too. :)

Sidenote, if I'd been buying an optic for a "blank sheet" build I would've probably gone with an Aimpoint PRO or one of the various prisms that better accommodate my bad eyes, but I'm specifically trying to replicate how a buddy who was part of the Canadian deployment to Afghanistan set up his rifle over there, which meant E-552.

WS6
12-05-19, 08:50
Eotech are the one thing I've actually watched people have break repeatedly on the AR platform. I would get BUIS, and run with them up, and practice failure drills. Lithium batteries is a good idea to prevent leaking as mentioned.

12-05-19, 11:58
I never had any trouble with the EoTech I was issued, nor can I remember any of my guys having any trouble. It was actually a well liked optic in my circle. We were already changing batteries pretty frequently on our Aimpoints prophylactically, so we didn’t really notice the battery life issue. Instead, I was pleased that it took the same 123 lithiums as our flashlights and LA-5’s.

I haven’t had any trouble with the AA one I own, either, but I’ll plus one the lithium batteries for lifespan.