PDA

View Full Version : How many 6.8 MRP users out there?

IPSC_GUY
11-17-08, 17:47
I am taking the step into 6.8 and going with a 16 inch barrel to put into my Rifle length MRP. I am curious to know If anyone else is or has done this?

Looking for recommendations for ammo and mags.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

bushmasterar15
11-17-08, 18:44
I was looking at their 12.5 but wanting in a spcII or dmr chamber 1/11 twist. I was hoping they might change.

FlyingHunter
11-17-08, 19:44
I am early adopter of the 6.8spc and have a 16" PRI with a LR Scope and 10.5" Noveske with an EoTech - both mated to Colt lowers. There is no looking back and I'm thoroughly impressed with the 6.8spc - whether knocking over steel plates in a 3 gun shoot or big whitetail deer. It's great to have the many advantages of the AR15 platform in a caliber that serves defense, hunting, and SHTF roles. Go to www.68forums.com for much info. For magazines - the newer waffle style PRI's are best for my guns - and I own both C Products and PRI magazines. Hornady makes good ammo for the 6.8 but I tend to buy mine from Art at Silver State Armory. They have the 110 ProHunter soft point (my overall favorite) and the 85gr Barnes TSX that zips along at 3000fps. Safe shooting.

IPSC_GUY
11-17-08, 23:43
Well my thoughts are that I want something bigger than 5.56mm and being that I have an MRP this step is not that expensive.

My hope is to have something that will reach to 500 yards with "some" punch. At this point I literally don't have ANYTHING larger than 5.56mm.

I had been thinking of a FN SPR 20 inch in 7.62mm. However the cost of a 6.8 conversion was MUCH more attractive. PLUS the MRP provides a nice delivery platform. Magazine fed, the lower has a Nice Timney trigger and the long continuous top rail will allow for Night Vision Optics mounting options. In the interim I can get by with a TA31 for an optic while I wait for the new Ellis 1X to 6X to come out.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Dave L.
11-18-08, 10:58
I decided to wait until LMT decides to build their 6.8 barrels with the correct chamber and twist.

pryan205
11-19-08, 20:10
I have the 16 inch chrome and the 18 inch stainless. I have been feeding them both Hornady OTM and Silver State Pro Hunters. They feed these great and I have not had any malfunctions. Paul

bushmasterar15
11-20-08, 02:59
I decided to wait until LMT decides to build their 6.8 barrels with the correct chamber and twist.

Same waiting also for LMT. Send them a email asking them for the change might speed up the process.

XDkid
11-22-08, 00:22
I was about to buy an LMT MRP upper for 6.8, but decided to hold off.

I have been looking at other brands, but I will probably wait until LMT makes a 1:11 twist barrel. I really like the MRP uppers, but I guess they use proprietary barrels unfortunately.

tkosiba
11-22-08, 06:40
FYI. The 18" 6.8 barrel will make IPSC Major 320 PF, the 16" will not. Having said that, some say there are slower times at major than minor (which I can understand), but you would have that option. I'm sure you would have a competitive advantage shooting 6.8 major against the 7.62 mm (.308 caliber/7.82mm bullet) guys, which I believe are automatically listed as major.

IPSC_GUY
11-29-08, 00:26
I have the 16 inch chrome and the 18 inch stainless. I have been feeding them both Hornady OTM and Silver State Pro Hunters. They feed these great and I have not had any malfunctions. Paul

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of each length of barrel? I have some of each of the above, ordered to do some testing, but EVERYONE seems to be behind on shipping.

Never would have thought a Democrat could have single-handedly given the firearms industry the boost that it has gotten...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Oh P.S. I have found someone to ream the chamber out to SPC II specs but I want to see how accurate the barrel is first.

4th_Point
11-29-08, 20:59
I don't have one yet, but signed up for one of Constructor's Xtreme uppers. I can't wait to get it.

teufeldog
11-30-08, 00:47
I sent LMT an email about adding a 1/11 and they said, "Right now we are staying with the chamber we are currently using." Hmm. Sort of leaves it open. When does "right now" end? I'm hoping they will bring out 1/11 and/or 1/12s. Until then, I signed up for the Xtreme from Constructor too.

Cold
12-03-08, 17:54
I know there is about oh, a dozen www.68forums.com guys going to SHOT, myself included, I have "meetings" or whatever they call it, with several people, I will be sure to stop by LMT and speak to someone other then a phone person and see what can be achieved. Stay tuned, I will be posting a big AR Variants run down from the SHOT SHOW on a few sites, I will get it up here as well, my one from 2008 was well received.

teufeldog
12-03-08, 23:31
Cold,

When you talk to the LMT folks be sure to tell them there is interest in having the MRP come out with a piston option. The extra length hand guards are a desirable feature. I suggested they try making the gas block smaller, if possible. Then the user can insert a long tool, a "key" or sorts down the front of the hand guards, above the barrel that would allow them to manipulate the gas key. This keeps the gas block in the same location which keeps reliability as is. I've heard from LMT that they've had issues moving it and that it has been difficult to come up with a solution for a piston MRP Standard. :(

Cold
12-04-08, 00:04
I will pass it along!