PDA

View Full Version : 6.8spc Hornady tags a deer

FlyingHunter
11-05-06, 21:33
FYI...I took a second deer this season with the 6.8spc. I used the Hornady 110 gr BTHP and the bullet performed very well. I wanted to contrast the difference between the Silver State Armory 110gr. Pro-Hunter from the deer I shot last week and the Hornady round on the deer today, but they both exhibited similar characteristics ie.. full pass through penetration with a significant wound channel and blood trail. I'll try the Hornady TAP 110 gr. next. My family and I consume about 4-5 deer per year and donate 2-3 to the Hunters for the Hungry program. It sure beats paying for meat at the grocery store. Now if I can figure out how to work less and hunt/shoot more...

ArchAngel
11-06-06, 11:45
You've grabbed my interest.

Can you provide a little more details as to distance, etc?

What was the hit location(s)? How much movement/travel was there by the deer after impact?

Just curious as I'm in a no-rifle state and interested in the caliber performance.

Thanks in advance.

FlyingHunter
11-06-06, 23:18
Greetings ArchAngel. I'll be happy to comment. The first deer, a large doe, was taken at 110 yds. , broadside, with a Silver State Armory 110 gr. Pro-Hunter bullet. The deer travelled about 25 yds. after the shot. The blood trail was significant as there was a full pass through of the bullet creating a 2 inch exit wound. The second deer, a medium size doe, was shot at 20 feet almost straight down from a deer stand. I used a Hornady 110gr BTHP bullet. The sharp angle resulted in less than ideal shot placement... although behind the shoulder it was too lateral and clipping part of one lung. The full pass through created a huge exit wound - 6 inchs but the blood trail was weak to fair because of the lack of vitals hit, although not difficult to track. She made about 100 yds before piling up. I'll try the Hornady TAP VMax next. Thus far the 6.8spc appears to perform very well. IMHO it's a great mix of much better than 223 power and still low recoil in an easy to carry AR platform.
Best Wishes

TimP
11-10-06, 22:51
try a SSA TSX bullet. Works very very very well on deer.

C4IGrant
11-11-06, 08:32
No fragmentation??? I thought the 6.8 always fragmented??? :D

C4