PDA

View Full Version : AAC M4-2000 not locking up

kwelz
12-14-19, 19:30
I have an M4-2K that is about 7 years old. Who knows how many rounds through it. However I noticed tonight that it no longer locks onto any of the muzzle devices. It grabs onto them but even minimal pressure (and shooting) will cause it to unscrew.

Anyone know of a good fix besides sending it back to AAC?

trauma
12-15-19, 00:15
Worn latch huh?...I remember AAC talking about how they were really efficient at replacing those these days.

I’d send it home for repair and they’ll most likely re-finish the can as well.

I haven’t heard of any other repair outside of sending it to AAC, I hold my latches down when spinning the can on now to lessen wear.

JPB
12-15-19, 22:26
I have an M4-2K that is about 7 years old. Who knows how many rounds through it. However I noticed tonight that it no longer locks onto any of the muzzle devices. It grabs onto them but even minimal pressure (and shooting) will cause it to unscrew.

Anyone know of a good fix besides sending it back to AAC?

This will likely be my plan:

https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/posts/as-im-getting-a-lot-of-requests-for-aac-rifle-suppressor-mount-conversions-im-go/2347675385316903/

jpmuscle
12-15-19, 22:38
This will likely be my plan:

https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/posts/as-im-getting-a-lot-of-requests-for-aac-rifle-suppressor-mount-conversions-im-go/2347675385316903/

I just came here to post this lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
12-16-19, 07:16
We're pretty carefull to depress the latches when mounting Pappabear's AAC cans. My two are 18 tooth mounts, to I can do anything other than minimize removal from the mount.

kwelz
12-16-19, 21:52
Thanks everyone.

This can has slowly been replaced by others on a number of my guns. So I don't think I want to spend the money on completely changing the mount system. But if AAC ever responds to my message I hope they will at least replace the ratchet.

ccasanova
12-17-19, 07:32
I’ll be 3rd to suggest ECCO. He has my SDN-6 right now. All my centerfire cans are upgraded to Area419 mounts, and I’m very pleased. The cost was barely more than a new brake.

jpmuscle
12-17-19, 08:09
I’ll be 3rd to suggest ECCO. He has my SDN-6 right now. All my centerfire cans are upgraded to Area419 mounts, and I’m very pleased. The cost was barely more than a new brake.

If AAC was smart they’d be offering to do this work themselves.

TheChunkNorris
12-17-19, 08:14
Ecco has done some SDN-6 with the Q Cherry Bomb and they’re very quick to respond via Facebook.

RHINOWSO
12-17-19, 12:24
I'm not a 'flavor of the month mount guy', so I would just get the latch replaced.

I mean feeling like you are 'in the club' with all the coolieo name dropping mount crowd is fun, but my SDN6 has been bombproof for 5+ years.

I guess if it shits the bed and AAC goes out of business I'd do a conversion but besides that, pass.

MegademiC
12-17-19, 12:31
I'm not a 'flavor of the month mount guy', so I would just get the latch replaced.

I mean feeling like you are 'in the club' with all the coolieo name dropping mount crowd is fun, but my SDN6 has been bombproof for 5+ years.

I guess if it shits the bed and AAC goes out of business I'd do a conversion but besides that, pass.

If the OP has other mounts, it would make sense to do the conversion since it allows adaptation to most of them. Assuming he has one if those ones. Has nothing to do with flavor of the month, it simply allows him to use his aac can on almost anyone elses mounts.

Really is nice when you take someone shooting/hunting and you can run cans on any of your guns.

Pappabear
12-17-19, 18:06
If the OP has other mounts, it would make sense to do the conversion since it allows adaptation to most of them. Assuming he has one if those ones. Has nothing to do with flavor of the month, it simply allows him to use his aac can on almost anyone elses mounts.

Really is nice when you take someone shooting/hunting and you can run cans on any of your guns.

AAC will replace for free in all likelihood. Why spend $200 when you don't need to. I have multiple cans , I always depress the latch ( don't get the cool movie crunch crunch crunch) but my mounts are in great shape. Might want to consider that once you get it back from AAC.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

FYI, AAC completely repaired my 556 can that I trashed in 7.62 fashion. One of two kabooms Ive managed in all my brilliance.

PB

RHINOWSO
12-17-19, 18:15

No, I understand consistency and being able to mount on different rifles - part of the reason I ditched my Trifecta MAAD mount and went 51T on my Saker.

I just laugh at all the lemmings, "oh I went all <insert name> and changed everything out" - be it rails, mounts, you name it.

Because either (1) they didn't actually do it <gasp people lie on the interwebz!?!?!> (2) they are stupid with money or (3) they only have like 2 guns.

I'm just anti-change unless the juice is worth the squeeze. Money adds up over time and people often fail to look at the whole cost of a change, or they just aren't serious about doing it right.

Pappabear
12-17-19, 19:11
Another big downside is this: you do the conversion, then you have baffle -endcap strike. AAC is going to be like, hey pal sorry but your on your own. Took our adapter off and now you have endcap. Nope nope nope.

I don’t see that going any other way.

PB

JPB
12-18-19, 21:29

I have three 51T cans and also depress the latch when spinning on. They continue to work well. For me it's more about flexibility rather than any singular flavor of the month. The ECCO conversion allows you to run a broad selection of mounts, almost all of which offer superior durability to 51T. All of my Sakers have Dead Air mounts, it'd be great if these AAC cans did as well. If and when my 51T mounts ever give up, they'll be replaced with an ECCO conversion.

Pappabear's concerns regarding warranty service is perhaps the strongest argument against getting the conversion done. I wonder how long AAC will continue to support 51T cans. Do they still service 18T?

RHINOWSO
12-19-19, 22:20
Pappabear's concerns regarding warranty service is perhaps the strongest argument against getting the conversion done. I wonder how long AAC will continue to support 51T cans. Do they still service 18T?

Obviously if a vendor no longer services a system, you best go with whoever will help out.

TheChunkNorris
12-19-19, 22:59
No, I understand consistency and being able to mount on different rifles - part of the reason I ditched my Trifecta MAAD mount and went 51T on my Saker.

I just laugh at all the lemmings, "oh I went all <insert name> and changed everything out" - be it rails, mounts, you name it.

Because either (1) they didn't actually do it <gasp people lie on the interwebz!?!?!> (2) they are stupid with money or (3) they only have like 2 guns.

I'm just anti-change unless the juice is worth the squeeze. Money adds up over time and people often fail to look at the whole cost of a change, or they just aren't serious about doing it right.

That’s actually how I got the Q cherry bomb. I ditched the MAAD mount and let me tell you, it’s been phenomenal. It’s shorter, easy on easy off. It’s actually a simpler design.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191220/588c7ebb34f65159d27fd9bf50b4c73c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191220/5108e38350e8b3d512c295f6610b7f62.jpg

I ended up with a Thunder Chicken after shooting a buddy’s Honey Badger. They come with both a 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 cherry bomb. Other than my Knights QDC, one NT4 and sole AAC... all of my other mounts are Q and I’m perfectly happy with that.

themonk
12-20-19, 06:54
I wonder how long AAC will continue to support 51T cans. Do they still service 18T?

I was told a few months back as long as their in business.

I had a latch replaced a few years back. New latch and paint (they essentially make the can look brand new) took about a week. The hard part is getting CS attention. I am of the belief that calling is always better than email.

kwelz
12-20-19, 08:03
Just an update, they sent me a shipping label yesterday to send the can in for service.

Pappabear
12-20-19, 08:38
I gotta think service will be long lasting. Doesn't military probably have a shit ton of these from back in the glory days. Most cans are hard to kill.

PB

TheChunkNorris
12-20-19, 08:43
I gotta think service will be long lasting. Doesn't military probably have a shit ton of these from back in the glory days. Most cans are hard to kill.

PB

I’ve only seen Surefire and NT4s.

themonk
12-20-19, 09:23

I would need to go back and check the number but the M4-2000 was one of the most prevalent suppressors in DOD. Not to mention the other cans they designed and sold to DOD and specifically SOF.

jpmuscle
12-20-19, 10:27
I want SF to bring back the 5.56 Micro.

I have spoken.

TheChunkNorris
12-20-19, 19:14
I would need to go back and check the number but the M4-2000 was one of the most prevalent suppressors in DOD. Not to mention the other cans they designed and sold to DOD and specifically SOF.

I should be more specific in saying the groups I have worked with recently(last 10 years) have been those mentioned above. I work in the UAS world and we work with all the high speed guys at the team level so we’re imbedded with them.

HCM
12-21-19, 13:46

I don’t know who in DOD used or is using them but I can confirm there is still a valid DOD contract for them. DHS/ICE just bought a bunch of M4-2000s off that contract. Apparently the DOD contract price was a factor in the selection of the M4-2000 over some more modern designs.

HCM
12-21-19, 13:48

I’d be curious to hear how the NT4 worked on standard A2 FH vs the NT4 FH.

docsherm
12-26-19, 20:24

TheChunkNorris
12-27-19, 02:35
I’d be curious to hear how the NT4 worked on standard A2 FH vs the NT4 FH.

Honestly they always had them on when I was with them, they never took them off.