PDA

View Full Version : Colt Canada C8A3

Slater
12-15-19, 08:09
Colt Canada advertises this variant as having a 15.7 inch heavy barrel. Is this unique to Colt Canada?

https://i.imgur.com/ymF08Q1l.png

JediGuy
12-15-19, 08:57
Yes, it is

ccosby
12-15-19, 12:33
BCM makes a copy of the c8 upper but I don't think it has a heavy barrel. Gun has a 16 inch barrel instead to make it title one.

Slater
12-15-19, 13:21
You wouldn't think that a length of 15.7 inches would have that many advantages over a 16 inch length.

Diamondback
12-15-19, 13:25
BCM makes a copy of the c8 upper but I don't think it has a heavy barrel. Gun has a 16 inch barrel instead to make it title one.

It's not a true HBAR, it's somewhere between M4 Gov and HBAR. Most of the "fat" at the front end is the Simon Sleeve grenade adapter--if I had to describe it, I'd call it a Gov-like behind the FSB, HBAR from FSB to start of sleeve, pencil under the sleeve. Also worth noting that this barrel requires a reversed crush washer to hold the sleeve in place

Here's our BCM work-in-progress clone for comparison:
https://i.imgur.com/DFdXoVc.jpg

Firefly
12-15-19, 13:34
You wouldn't think that a length of 15.7 inches would have that many advantages over a 16 inch length.

I want to say that semi-arbitrary length is something to do with the rifle grenade that was used with them but I cannot speak to that definitively.

I had a BCM upper and sold it to fund KAC stuff. Wouldn’t mind another. They aren’t bad if you want an M4 style Carbine.

Were I to get another one (and I may for poops and giggles); I’d probably just put MOE handguards on it and a CTR and an ACOG.

JediGuy
12-15-19, 13:40
Dback, what is that tape switch to? The WML somehow?

Diamondback
12-15-19, 14:05
Dback, what is that tape switch to? The WML somehow?

The LBC laser module on the optic--the options were 4" Eotech cable (too short) or 12" Insight with same plug (too long), so I used the Insight and looped it through the sling mount and under the light to keep it tense enough to not droop into the ejection port.