PDA

View Full Version : 30 years of firearm handling and got bit with drop discharge Friday night.

sadmin
12-16-19, 10:16
Here are the details:
Colt Frontier Scout in .22LR
CCI Mini Mags, Round Nose

Issue 1 - Terrible holster, western style all leather, zero retention
Issue 2 - Cylinder loaded
Issue 3 - Hammer down, not locked

My brother in law came by the house and was headed to a cabin in OK and I offered to lend him the pistol to plink / etc.. We were standing on the front porch. I was gripping the holster and tilted it, causing the pistol to slide out. I watched it fall in slow motion and heard the discharge. I turned and said, "Oh man, im so sorry, are you OK" and he said yea. It wasnt until I even took a step I felt a burn, like a wasp sting. Immediately I thought of Texas Grebner and thought "No freaking way, Im that guy.. just endangered myself, my family and violated all sorts of rules." I sat down to get a look at it and it went from a sting to more of a pressure type feeling. Entered In front of calf, out back of calf, clean exit. By the Grace of the Almighty, I have no idea how I didnt catch it under the chin or in the jewels / other hamstring.

tldr - went to ER, took CAT scans and it missed tib, fib, and any arteries. They gave me antibiotics, tetanus, and said take motrin. I cant walk on it, but I am getting around. So, be careful with drops & Merry Christmas; if anyone cares, ill upload some pics.

jmoore
12-16-19, 10:43
Glad you are OK.
Makes me glad I finally sent my Sig p320 in for the recall/update on the drop safety.
Haven’t dropped a pistol in 7 decades, but who knows - there will hopefully be enough time left on the planet where that might have been a wise decision on my part:)

geezer john

jsbhike
12-16-19, 12:00
Glad it wasn't worse! Hope your recovery goes well.

Had a Glock fall out in a restroom about 25 years ago that taught me holsters that don't cover the full slide are bad.

Averageman
12-16-19, 12:18
The very last thing my Mother said before my Brother shot himself in the thigh was "That's not loaded is it?"
If any of that was funny, when everyone's shocked look wore off, my Brother noticed his pants were on fire so he slapped the fire out and then the pain came.

Pi3
12-16-19, 12:18
If you have to get shot by a dropped firearm, this was about the best case scenario possible.
The title of the thread had me worried it was a sig p320 or maybe an old sa .45 long colt.

markm
12-16-19, 12:24
Yikes. Did L.E. have to get involved?? I thought hospitals had to report these types of things.

AKjeff
12-16-19, 12:24
Sorry it happened and thanks for posting about it.

I've been target shooting for years but just now began to carry. I worry that the daily familiarity may make me sloppy in my handling. I appreciate reminders like this.

Steve Shannon
12-16-19, 12:39
I’m sorry it happened also and glad it wasn’t worse.
Just as a reminder to people, six shooters from that era had no drop safeties. Always keep an unloaded chamber under the hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckman
12-16-19, 12:43
Holy cow, glad you will be OK! There but for the grace of God....

I did not see a single ND/AD in the military, but when I was a paramedic I saw 2 with LEOs. It can happen to anyone.

Pi3
12-16-19, 12:45
Holy cow, glad you will be OK! There but for the grace of God....

I did not see a single ND/AD in the military, but when I was a paramedic I saw 2 with LEOs. It can happen to anyone.

Do you remember what the firearms were?

titsonritz
12-16-19, 13:00
it missed tib, fib, and any arteries.

Talk about blind luck, should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home from the ER. Glad you're OK. Did the police get involved since you went to the ER with a GSW?

seb5
12-16-19, 13:20
Yikes. Did L.E. have to get involved?? I thought hospitals had to report these types of things.

For us it's a formality to ensure there wasn't a crime committed. We get called automatically, go to the hospital and take the statement, file the report if there's nothing else. In the rural South it happens.

Ron3
12-16-19, 13:35
Glad you'll be alright.

Dont Frontiers have a transfer bar safety mechanism?

Pi3
12-16-19, 13:49
It could have been mcuh worse. :cool:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article227055879.html

Firefly
12-16-19, 13:50
At least now you know what getting shot feels like.

Forgive yourself and sin no more, my son.

MegademiC
12-16-19, 13:51
Scary shit. Glad youre ok.

Ned Christiansen
12-16-19, 13:59
A lesson, a reminder, for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

TommyG
12-16-19, 14:46
Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing.

26 Inf
12-16-19, 14:46
Glad you are okay.

In answer to a post above, we had two ND/AD's on our range, both involved recovering to the holster.

One involved a Glock during a departmental transition course using our range. The shooter was recovering to the holster, his wind jacket got in the way and he lost his grip on the pistol. As he grasped the pistol to retain his grip I believe he squeezed the trigger, others believe something on the jacket caught the trigger. GSW to the thigh, no broken bones or major vessels hit.

The second involved a recruit during night shoot. The shooter was using a Sig P220 in .45 and had apparently not de-cocked the pistol or taken his finger off the trigger when recovering to the holster despite range commands to do so. Initial survey was the shot went into the leg below the knee and out again. I handled treatment which consisted of direct pressure bandages and oxygen until paramedics arrived to transport.

After the kid was transported the associate director (who was new and had been watching night shoot) asked 'how often does this happen?' I told him it was the first one when we were running things. His response was 'you guys acted like it was no big deal, so I assumed it had happened before.' I kind of thought, well good, but one of the first lessons a cop or paramedic ought to learn is never let someone know it is your first rodeo and we'd all seen GSW victims before, so no big deal.

The shooter/shootee returned from the ER late that night and wanted to continue firearms the next day. I was glad he wasn't hurt badly, him but chagrined that I had missed the in and out wound behind his holster on his upper thigh. In the ER after they were looking at his lower leg, he told the doctor something hurt on his thigh. In and out, in and out.

I haven't treated another GSW since, but the rule 'completely expose' is firmly ingrained for the next time.

Firefly
12-16-19, 14:54
Good lesson here. If you drop a gun, let it fall.

EVERYBODY has dropped a gun. It didn’t go off but I was taking off ALL my clothes after a 20 hour day and just wanted to die on my bed. Boots, belt, top, vest....

Then I undo a velcro strap and my .44 snubby goes a tumbling. I just let it go and winced. Nothing happened except the hand got broke on it and I sent it to Charter Arms who fixed it no problem. (Its a long fall)

It had a decent enough holster it was just a mixture of fatigue and sweat and so on.

But that was pounded into me. Let it drop. Most modern guns are drop safe.

Coal Dragger
12-16-19, 15:07
Glad you’re not seriously injured OP, one has to be extra careful with revolvers that lack a transfer bar safety mechanism. Hammer over empty chamber only.

I have a .454 Casull with no transfer bar, so it’s carried exclusively with the hammer over an empty chamber. Of course it’s also really easy to verify after loading one chamber, skipping one, then loading three more, cock the hammer and slowly let it down to the safety notch (not to be trusted with a live round. Simply holding the revolver out muzzle up and angled so you can see the cylinder face will confirm because you can count all the rounds you loaded and note they are not under the hammer. Might be tougher to visually check with a .22LR though.

LoboTBL
12-16-19, 15:29
Glad to hear the damage to you was minimal. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

sadmin
12-16-19, 17:43
Thanks for all the healthy wishes gents. Calf still sore, still not sure how this avoided my undercarriage. Here are some pics in order

https://imgur.com/a/g0Sja2P

Wildcat
12-16-19, 19:05
Glad you’re not seriously injured OP, one has to be extra careful with revolvers that lack a transfer bar safety mechanism. Hammer over empty chamber only.

I have a .454 Casull with no transfer bar, so it’s carried exclusively with the hammer over an empty chamber. Of course it’s also really easy to verify after loading one chamber, skipping one, then loading three more, cock the hammer and slowly let it down to the safety notch (not to be trusted with a live round. Simply holding the revolver out muzzle up and angled so you can see the cylinder face will confirm because you can count all the rounds you loaded and note they are not under the hammer. Might be tougher to visually check with a .22LR though.

True. Rimfire chambers are usually recessed to enclose the whole rim. For similar working guns a stripe of grease pencil on the cylinder over the empty chamber sometimes helps, More comfortable than just about looking at the muzzle. 22LR is almost always much shorter than the cylinder.

3 AE
12-16-19, 19:17
sadmin, You don't happen to IWB appendix carry your CCW do you? ;) But seriously, mucho glad it didn't get high on the GSW badness scale. Best wishes on a complete recovery. By the way, did brother-in-law still take the pistol on his trip? Some people would have taken a pass. All about bad juju and "It's possessed" kind of thing.

FlyingHunter
12-16-19, 19:31
Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you're relatively ok. Your message sharing is important for all of us to remember. Thank you.

I've see .22lr GSW do very strange things to the body and so happy to hear yours was uncomplicated. I recall a patient I treated that unfortunately took a .22lr to the sternum, failed to penetrate, skimmed along under the skin and went thru the pectorals muscle and ended with stunning destruction in his brachial plexus (nerves under armpit) rendering his arm permanently and almost completely paralyzed/flaccid.

Pi3
12-16-19, 19:57
Thanks for all the healthy wishes gents. Calf still sore, still not sure how this avoided my undercarriage. Here are some pics in order

I like the glass bottle your pain killers come in.

Pi3
12-16-19, 20:04
I was taking a class. After shooting, We were told to re-holster and get ready for the next stage.
Just happened to notice a guy had re-holstered his da/sa without de-cocking.
I quickly pointed it out to the instructor who just about had a cow, but corrected the problem diplomatically.
Just now reading these other posts made me think back how that could have gone south in a bad way.

Bulletdog
12-16-19, 20:24
Thank you for the reminder. Glad we didn't lose anyone! Speedy recovery to you.

Caduceus
12-16-19, 20:53
I dropped a Glock once. Was a borrowed 17, I had a 19 holster. Didn't fit as snug as I thought.

Also had a buddy pop himself with a Sig P226. Not really sure what happened, it's like the jacket of the bullet fragged him in the thigh, but no actual "bullet" hit him. I wonder if the bullet grazed the holster enough to break apart?

jmp45
12-16-19, 21:45
Wow sadmin, wish a swift recovery. Yeah, this is a reminder for sure..

jsbhike
12-16-19, 22:04

Is imgur Amish owned? I just had to promise I was over 18 to check out your erotic and adult images, aka your calf. :D

Firefly
12-17-19, 05:34
Can we get a picture with the sock off? We need to check for proper circulation and any swelling due to infection

jpmuscle
12-17-19, 06:51
Can we get a picture with the sock off? We need to check for proper circulation and any swelling due to infection

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191217/2c8639ddce8c69974f863d9909cc9b0c.jpg

Straight Shooter
12-17-19, 13:13
I personally knew a dude that shot himself once...and had FOUR holes in him.
Bullet went in top of thigh..1, then out the back of the thigh..2, then into the back of his calf..3, then out the front beside the chin bone..4.
He was squatted down, and it was with a 9mm. He healed up ok, saw him a few years ago..no lingering problems.

Thank you for the post. Aint NONE of us above it & its a fresh reminder to be ever vigilant.
I had a hand & arm full of groceries once with a Glock 17 shoved under my arm, trying to get the key into my upstairs apt door. Dropped the Glock..it rolled down 7-8 steel steps, then fell onto concrete. I nearly shat. Only time Ive done that, and believe me it re-prioritized how I bring in stuff from then on.

militarymoron
12-17-19, 13:28
Thanks for the post and safety reminder, especially since my son has a Colt Frontier Scout. Glad it wasn't worse.

chuckman
12-17-19, 14:10
Do you remember what the firearms were?

One was a Glock 17 to the calf (detective was taking a dump, actually, in our EMS restroom, if fell out of his holster as he was dropping trou); the other was a SWAT cop had his safety off on his M4 and had the barrel resting on his foot... good-bye, foot.

Pi3
12-17-19, 14:16
A bail bondsman sat on the toilet. His gun discharged and broke the toilet. Water ran all over the place.
I don't think he was injured, other than his pride.
This was in an office building several floors below where I worked at the time.

SteyrAUG
12-17-19, 15:16
Just as a reminder to people, six shooters from that era had no drop safeties. Always keep an unloaded chamber under the hammer.

Yep, I used to not respect the "empty chamber" rule when dealing with the designs where the firing pin is on the hammer (also applies to Uzis and Macs and half a dozen other subguns) but then I started to shoot at a range frequented by Cowboy Action shooters and there was always the new guy who didn't get the word yet and and I saw two or three drop fires during that time. And if anyone dropped a handgun on the line it was like somebody yelled "grenade" and all the experienced shooters dove for cover.

I've only had one ND in my life, but the handgun was thankfully pointed at the target. It was an older S&W .357 where somebody "tuned" the trigger to something like a 1 lb. break. I had just gotten my sight picture and put my finger on the tripper in preparation to fire and it fired just by touching it. That was the day I learned you can't depend upon standard triggers to keep you safe. Seen a few rifles like that where people went in search of the thin glass rod trigger break.

Chubbs103
12-17-19, 16:37

My most recent acquisition is an OM .357 Blackhawk. My son is fascinated by it and the loading process. I let him feed the cartridges through the loading gate. He is a load 1, skip one, load 4 disciple. He knows exactly why it is loaded that way. I have a NM .41 Mag Blackhawk that I need to familiarize him with so he can understand the differences between the two.

WillBrink
12-17-19, 17:19
It's amazing what they don't do for GSW that's a clean through and through. I had a buddy - decades of gun experience - do similar with a 9mm also through the calve, and they did same deal really. Not even a stitch. Your experience helps us all remember safety first, last, and always.

Hammer down yet discharge. Single action revolver?

Buncheong
12-17-19, 18:03
Thank God you’re alright, OP.

Much respect to you for posting this - not an easy mistake to confess to, I’m sure.

Get well soon, Brother!

sundance435
12-19-19, 09:43
At least you'll have a good scar story. Thank you for sharing, though. It's a great reminder. I've had 2 NDs in my life, thankfully pointed down range, but there's nothing that will pucker your hole quicker than a bang from a gun in your hand when you weren't expecting it. I'm amazed I made it through the academy without an ND stories after seeing how some of them re-holstered.

Ron3
12-19-19, 11:49
Your experience helps us all remember safety first, last, and always.

Hammer down yet discharge. Single action revolver?

Yes.

That's what I dont get. Hammer down discharge on a modern revolver with a transfer bar system?

Steve Shannon
12-19-19, 12:39
Yes.

That's what I dont get. Hammer down discharge on a modern revolver with a transfer bar system?

That’s not a modern revolver and it doesn’t have a transfer bar.

titsonritz
12-19-19, 12:55
Yes.

The Frontier is an 22 faithful version of the Colt SAA.

Here is a 22mag version...
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/11/28/colt-frontier-scout-22-magnum-5-photos/

Ron3
12-19-19, 20:02
That’s not a modern revolver and it doesn’t have a transfer bar.

I see. Thanks.