PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrenches

OldState
12-16-19, 22:33
Like many others I’ve ended up with a few more lowers recently that I will be making complete in the near future. With AR torque specs encompassing a very wide margin I never felt I needed anything more than my grandfathers beam style torque wrench circa 1972 or thereabouts....if I needed one at all. Plus I rarely use it.

That said I have recently found the need for one for things outside of firearms and decided to pick one up cheap from Harbor freight. I didn’t get this model but the smaller and much cheaper one.

Was happy to come across this video

https://youtu.be/ck_O5U1Tyz8

JediGuy
12-16-19, 22:43
Accuracy and repeatability in the short term do not necessarily translate to sustained accuracy and durability in the long term.

This coming from someone who has just the cheap non-Icon Harbor Freight torque wrenches.

jpmuscle
12-16-19, 22:55
They may not be all that bad. I’m going to pick a 3/8 up and see how it does.

I haven’t seen any of the ICON cabinets in person yet but I have a few of the 44” cabinets and chests and they are probably the best value buys I’ve ever made. I hate cheap tools but the tool chests are da bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldState
12-16-19, 22:59
Accuracy and repeatability in the short term do not necessarily translate to sustained accuracy and durability in the long term.

This coming from someone who has just the cheap non-Icon Harbor Freight torque wrenches.

Long term in time or use? If I use a torque wrench three times a year that’s a lot and the mil spec for a barrel but is between 30-80 lbs right? Plus the thing has a lifetime warranty. This is all coming from a guy who usually buys the best shit ...if it’s truly worth it. (I also usually go out of my way to buy American)

RustyIron
12-16-19, 23:40
I didn’t get this model but the smaller and much cheaper one.

That's funny. I watched enough of the video to see what they were saying, then thought, "WTF does OldState think he's going to do with that half inch torque wrench?!" Then I saw that you got one more appropriately sized. If accuracy is your goal, you might find that grandpa's old beam-style is actually better than a clicker. No worries, though. I use clickers most often, as I'm rarely doing work on nuclear reactors or space shuttles. And although my torque wrenches are top shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to use/recommend one from Harbor Freight. Have fun with your new toy and building your new rifles.

JediGuy
12-17-19, 05:29
Long term in time or use? If I use a torque wrench three times a year that’s a lot and the mil spec for a barrel but is between 30-80 lbs right? Plus the thing has a lifetime warranty. This is all coming from a guy who usually buys the best shit ...if it’s truly worth it. (I usually also usually go out of my way to buy American)

Ah, I was thinking your non-firearm needs would require more use than that. I would imagine deterioration would be negligible if that’s the extent of your use. Thanks for sharing the info on Icon.

Slater
12-17-19, 09:35
When I was in the Air Force, I worked in our shop's tool room for a while. One day I went to Supply to pick up five brand new torque wrenches that we'd ordered. Took them over to the PMEL section for their initial calibration. Three out of five failed right off the bat, and were condemned. Don't know much about these items, but evidently there are some real crap brands out there.

snakyjake
12-17-19, 09:39
I've also been using a Digital Torque Adapter from ACDelco (ARM602-3, ARM602-4).
For gentle small bolts fastening to aluminum, I don't trust clicks, and I like seeing the readout.

Slater
12-17-19, 09:45
In my time I've had to torque fasteners that were in awkward or hard-to-reach places. In those cases it's better (and sometimes necessary) to hear a "click" than to see a needle deflection.

OldState
12-17-19, 15:10
That's funny. I watched enough of the video to see what they were saying, then thought, "WTF does OldState think he's going to do with that half inch torque wrench?!" Then I saw that you got one more appropriately sized. If accuracy is your goal, you might find that grandpa's old beam-style is actually better than a clicker. No worries, though. I use clickers most often, as I'm rarely doing work on nuclear reactors or space shuttles. And although my torque wrenches are top shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to use/recommend one from Harbor Freight. Have fun with your new toy and building your new rifles.

I actually did get the 1/2” just a shorter model. The Geissele barrel nut wrench I just got is that size. So are the DD and MI one I think. I’m away for work but can double check when I get home.

Colt Carson
12-17-19, 22:20
Two items I avoid from China, firearms and hand tools.

Red*Lion
12-18-19, 09:53
I bought a nice Craftsmans 1/2" Torque wrench for about $95 when I got serious about building AR's. It has also come in handy for working on my vehicles. A quality piece.

Slater
12-18-19, 10:08
I've heard "for the best accuracy, never use the top 10% or bottom 10% of any torque wrench". Anything to that or just hearsay?

RVTMaverick
12-18-19, 10:53
Just remember guys, you've got "Foot Pounds" and "Inch Pounds" and ofcourse, you don't want to tighten a scope ring that requires 15 inch pounds with 15 foot pounds and the like.
Also, some are of the Metric type, same issues to watch out for..(^_-)

Pappabear
12-18-19, 10:56
It is interesting. Sometimes you can stumble on some quality goods on the cheap. Even though “ good are rarely cheap and cheap things are rarely good”. But I bought a Harbor Freight wench, and it’s looks nice on my truck. Had buyers remorse even though I’ve never touched it.

It has great reviews too.

PB

jpmuscle
12-18-19, 11:19
It is interesting. Sometimes you can stumble on some quality goods on the cheap. Even though “ good are rarely cheap and cheap things are rarely good”. But I bought a Harbor Freight wench, and it’s looks nice on my truck. Had buyers remorse even though I’ve never touched it.

It has great reviews too.

PB

Wenches you say? Tell us more.

pinzgauer
12-18-19, 11:36
Two items I avoid from China, firearms and hand tools.Good luck with that on hand tools. Getting harder by the month.

Likewise, I have some Japan and Taiwan made tools I'd put up against snap-on or similar. (Socket sets, mainly)

I've cut over to Japan made screwdrivers, even the few US made mfgs do not compare.

Certain things like crescent wrenches I was Ok with old craftsman. By definition not a precision tool. But they worked well. Now even crescent brand is chinesium.

Then again, I would not mind a chinese T-99 upper and one of their AK variants.

markm
12-18-19, 12:12
I keep a Kobalt torque wrench on hand, but really only use it on boutique barrel nuts where the receiver isn't 7075. (Vltor VIS, etc.) If you build a lot of guns, you really get a feel for torque in the various situations, and in my opinion don't need a torque wrench.

Sry0fcr
12-18-19, 15:27
If you're using a TQ that isn't calibrated or at least verified, then you're just guessing at what TQ you're using and might as well just snug it up with an open ended wrench for the good it does you. Same goes for most measurement devices BTW. I had a pal get into some trouble with the airline when his carry on measurement didn't match the bin. Turns out his tape's "inches" weren't really inches.

Sincerely, you friendly neighborhood quality manager

12-18-19, 16:28
Real Tool Reviews has been busted being a shill. Have actually been called out publicly for this.

Well known they have been paid for results.

He was busted doing things like using a high flow valve for HF while using standard flow for other companies, using a longer hose for "competitor" products and shorter for shilled products.

Snap-On is most definitely better overall than HF. Do I use Snap-On? Yes, as well as Matco and Cromwell. All three are excellent American companies.

Torque Wrench Center ranks Snap-On #1.

If you want real, trustable reviews for tools go check out AvE.

26 Inf
12-18-19, 17:42
Do I use Snap-On? Yes, as well as Matco and Cromwell. All three are excellent American companies.

This is the rub - even trusted American companies source some of their stuff from foreign shores, in particular power tools such as drill/drivers, etc.:

What tools are still made in the USA by Snap-On?

Wrenches
Screwdrivers
Ratchets
Roll Cabs for Tool Storage
Sandblasters

What tools have Snap-On started to make outside the US?

Welding Helmets – China
Cordless Screwdriver Kit – China
Gas Torches – Ireland
Welding Helmets – China
Safety Gloves – China
Air Compressors – Canada and China

https://agradetools.com/snap-on-usa-or-china/

Cromwell is hand tools and is USA, MATCO sources from different manufacturers for their branded products, at the present they are all USA.

I think one of the reasons that the premier hand tool companies are sticking with the USA for their mfg locale is the fact that they are established, not mass market, command a premium price and are unsure that they can source high quality metal on foreign shores.

gunnar4321
12-18-19, 21:33
I just bought one from Wheeler Engineering for scope work and it's quite good.

Hammer_Man
12-18-19, 21:54
I use SnapOn torque wrenches at work, so they are what I use to assemble my rifles. For the home builder I think Craftsman, Husky, or Kobalt will do just fine.

Tony617
12-18-19, 22:16
I bought my 1/2” torque wrench from Home Depot a few years ago now. Have verified the torque wrench at all but used it to replace the lawn mower blades and seemed work just fine. Had to set to 60 foot pounds to tighten the bolt for the blade. Used it build some uppers as well. Be sure you put the torque down to lowest setting before putting back in the storage case.

My torque wrench was made in the USA.

Rogue556
12-18-19, 22:34
I've got a CDI torque wrench I use for my firearms.

Snap-On actually owns them now, but they've been closely related for some time from my understanding. Their products are well made and seem to be much easier on the wallet for those looking.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

AndyLate
12-19-19, 06:51
My oldest son works at Harbor Freight and says they have been greatly improving their hand tool quality. He can see the results by the reduction of broken/unserviceable returns.

Full disclosure - they hired him back after his Marine Corps enlistment, so I am biased.

I also don't really trust their torque wenches.

He is in college full time (GI Bill) but felt he should be working too.

Andy

Pappabear
12-20-19, 08:45
Wenches you say? Tell us more.

JP, they make a badlands wench that was given rave reviews when I bought. And my friend that owns Warne wenches, said buy the Badlands. I think Warne got a little scared and tried to narrow the delta in price, so the extra cost may not be worth it anymore. Depends on how badlands responded. I have a Tacoma that can climb trees, so I have not used it. I hope to lift up an Elk with it one day over a tree and have my way without fighting it on a hill. Problem is they are always on hills....I digress

PB

pinzgauer
12-20-19, 09:45
Confirming the Badlands winch pisutive reviews. There are also physical differences for the same money.

Not specific to the winches, but it's the "Chinese steel housing with roller bearings beats US pot metal housings with bushings" type of thing.

And yes, it appears both warn and smittybuilt have had to become more competitive. Where they had gotten to stupid pricing levels.

Pappabear
12-20-19, 18:03
Confirming the Badlands winch pisutive reviews. There are also physical differences for the same money.

Not specific to the winches, but it's the "Chinese steel housing with roller bearings beats US pot metal housings with bushings" type of thing.

And yes, it appears both warn and smittybuilt have had to become more competitive. Where they had gotten to stupid pricing levels.

So your saying Badlands and Smitty are using better steel? If so, good to know.

PB

12-20-19, 18:41
This is the rub - even trusted American companies source some of their stuff from foreign shores, in particular power tools such as drill/drivers, etc.:

What tools are still made in the USA by Snap-On?

Snap-On does source some tools from outside the US.

They also have excellent QC for those. Hence, added cost.

pinzgauer
12-20-19, 19:08
Not so much that as the chinese winches have better construction then the US made winch you can get for the same money.

So a $450 chinese clone of a 12k Warn will be often better/heavier made than a $600 6k lb Warn winch.

And will come with a longer rope, roller fairlead, etc which the Warn will not for that money. Some are even even coming with kevlar rope now.

No one is saying the $400 china 12000 lb winch is better than the $1600+ Warn M12000.

Colt Carson
12-20-19, 19:17
It was a sad day when I discovered Craftsman had moved their hand tool manufacturing to China. Luckily I have what I need.