PDA

View Full Version : Canadians trying to sue S&W

WillBrink
12-17-19, 15:01
Those crazy Canadians are at it again:

Toronto mass shooting victims sue gun maker Smith & Wesson in $150m lawsuit

Victims of a mass shooting in Toronto have launched a class action lawsuit against gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson, alleging the company failed to implement key safety features in its weapons that could have prevented the 2018 attack.

The suit, the first of its kind in Canada, was filed in Ontario superior court on Monday. Plaintiffs are seeking C$150m in damages from the American company.

On the evening of 22 July 2018, Faisal Hussain opened fire on the city’s bustling Danforth avenue, killing two people and injuring 13 others. He killed himself following a shootout with police.

The weapon used in the attack – an M&P40 semi-automatic pistol – had been stolen from a gun dealer in the province of Saskatchewan.

The lead plaintiffs in the case are Skye McLeod and Samantha Price, recent high-school graduates and friends who were celebrating a birthday when Hussain opened fire. As pedestrians ran for cover, Price was hit in the leg and her friend, 18-year-old Reese Fallon, was shot dead. A young child in the area, Julianna Kozis, 10, was also killed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/17/canada-toronto-shooting-smith-and-wesson-lawsuit

Firefly
12-17-19, 15:16
Never again shall I watch Degrassi

#CancelCanada

223to45
12-17-19, 15:26
So how does a cross border lawsuit work??

Or does S&W have a Canadian branch.

Will it hold any merit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dmd08
12-17-19, 15:41
C$150M? So that's like, what? 80 bucks?

C-grunt
12-18-19, 00:22
That's it, I'm calling Trump. We're putting up a north wall too.

titsonritz
12-18-19, 01:08
Trump should wad up USMCA and throw it Trudeau's face and say "**** you have fun that economy, queer bait." It would be Trumpian and explode liberal heads world wide.

MegademiC
12-18-19, 07:36
I’m curious to know this safety feature they are referring to.

AndyLate
12-18-19, 07:54
I’m curious to know this safety feature they are referring to.

They wanted grips to be manufactured from pork by-products. Would have prevented this tragedy.

Arik
12-18-19, 08:35
I’m curious to know this safety feature they are referring to.Smart technology. One of those things where you have to wear special watch or wrist band that sends a signal to the gun. However, the gun was originally stolen from a gun store so logic would suggest that the signal/reader thing would also be included

opmike
12-18-19, 08:51
How is smart technology (something with near zero levels of implementation) a key safety feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
12-18-19, 09:02
How is smart technology (something with near zero levels of implementation) a key safety feature?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm guessing here but their assumption is that had the gun had smart technology the shooter wouldn't be able to use it. In the same way that you can't open/start a new far without the keyfob However, this fails to take into account that the firearm was stolen from a gun store and would likely have the reader together with the gun.

sgtrock82
12-18-19, 17:14
Smart gun, schmart gun. If they would just get off the ass and implement personal force fields we would all be okay

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk