PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's gun went off all by itself

Sam
12-19-19, 09:08
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sheriffs-gun-goes-off-inside-walmart-during-a-shop-with-a-sheriff-event

Sheriff's Glock 43 went off all by itself in the waist band, gun was not handled during the discharge, two people were hit by shrapnel from bullet hitting the floor !

I say B.S. on the gun went off by itself while in the waist band AND the carrier was not hurt. If it was in the waist band and it went off magically, the bullet is going to catch some flesh, somewhere.

TexHill
12-19-19, 09:15
I bet money that it had an aftermarket trigger bar installed.

TMS951
12-19-19, 09:30
The only way a double action gun off is by pulling the trigger... So this is a case of unsafe gun handling. The idea it was not touched is preposterous. Something pulled the trigger, something else was not safely covering the trigger.

jsbhike
12-19-19, 09:43
IF it fired with no finger on the trigger then clothes or a cord locker on a draw string could have been holstered with the pistol and theoretically do it, but with Sam that the waist carry and no injury combo seems unlikely and I suspect if that was the case we would be treated to security video of that event.

Another somewhat odd thing is the emphasis on it being a back up weapon, but waist carried which would seem to shift it to the primary/only role for the time frame in question.

Adrenaline_6
12-19-19, 09:52
There should be video of it in the store, so the truth will be known.

Kevslatvin
12-19-19, 10:42
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Glocks had a firing pin block which is disengaged with the initiation of the trigger pull. So even if the firing pin was somehow released it wouldn't hit the primer causing a discharge. So I'm thinking clothing or another item unknowingly trapped in the trigger guard.

Mozart
12-19-19, 10:46
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Glocks had a firing pin block which is disengaged with the initiation of the trigger pull. So even if the firing pin was somehow released it wouldn't hit the primer causing a discharge. So I'm thinking clothing or another item unknowingly trapped in the trigger guard.

You are correct. It is spring-loaded and only clears the path for the striker to hit the primer when the trigger is pressed. I don’t even think a discharge could result from crappy aftermarket trigger parts because of the striker blocker safety. Had to be something in contact with the trigger.

Arik
12-19-19, 10:51
Was he on duty? The way they say "waist band" sounds like he just stuffed the gun in his waist band like a gangsta

sundance435
12-19-19, 10:53
Nowhere in there does it state it was in a holster. "...the weapon was secured in the waistband," can mean several things, depending on the lawyer/PR person. I certainly hope he wasn't carrying a Glock without a holster, in his waistband, with a round in the chamber, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. I only ever waistband-carried a Glock a few times as a new deputy too cheap to buy a good CCW holster, but always without a round in the chamber, obviously. Even if it was holstered, it's not terrifically uncommon for clothing to get in the holster and cause a discharge. Could've happened when he holstered it and not discharged until he moved a certain way.

223to45
12-19-19, 11:38
You are correct. It is spring-loaded and only clears the path for the striker to hit the primer when the trigger is pressed. I don’t even think a discharge could result from crappy aftermarket trigger parts because of the striker blocker safety. Had to be something in contact with the trigger.Also glocks are not fully cocked. So is there enough spring pressure to set it off if it got by the firing pin stop?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jsbhike
12-19-19, 12:02
Stuffed in the waist band would pretty well eliminate the snowballs chance of not hitting meat a holster might allow to happen unless he is built like Gru or borrowed Hank Hill's prosthetic ass cheeks. ;)

seb5
12-19-19, 12:45
Yeeeaaa. Only morons carry a loaded Glock inside a waistband without a proper holster. In the very few times I've done this the Glock was never chambered and was used more of a way to get it inside without everyone around seeing me walk in with a pistol in my hand. Just went off..................I've had ADs/ND's over the years that were not my fault but they were either improperly set up 1911's or Remington 700's.

titsonritz
12-19-19, 12:46
Hope to follow up on this one.

GH41
12-19-19, 14:53
You are correct. It is spring-loaded and only clears the path for the striker to hit the primer when the trigger is pressed. I don’t even think a discharge could result from crappy aftermarket trigger parts because of the striker blocker safety. Had to be something in contact with the trigger.

Maybe I haven't told this story but it happened a few months ago. Walked into a local shop just as a gun went off. The owner was white faced with a pocketknife in his hand. He was showing a customer a holster using his own carry pistol. He noticed a wire tie that didn't come off with cardboard packaging. He went to cut it off with his pocket knife.. Guess what happened.

Outlander Systems
12-19-19, 15:13
>Glock

Every. Single. ****ing. Time.

Johnny Rico
12-19-19, 15:39
Was he trained in firearms handling by Plaxico Burress?

MountainRaven
12-19-19, 15:40
Strange. This usually seems to happen with P320s.

Firefly
12-19-19, 15:51
I’m calling it.

Fat fingers or he was dumb enough to pocket carry a hot piece where he keeps his car keys.

gaijin
12-19-19, 17:01
N. D.

In way too many decades I have never witness a pistol becoming possessed and firing itself.
I HAVE seen a lot of dumbshit though.

3 AE
12-20-19, 04:09
Was he trained in firearms handling by Plaxico Burress?

:lol: You betcha! A PSA for gun safety by Plaxico. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA

Screwball
12-20-19, 04:22
We had a guy say he cleaned his P2000 LEM (CBP), sat it on the table, and went off by itself. Gun was sent to the Firearms Unit, oiled heavily, and then sat for three days waiting for it to go off...

Guy was fired due to lying about it. S*** happens... just got to own it when it does.

Averageman
12-21-19, 07:56
And people who know nothing about guns believe this is possible.
Breeding new rabid anti-gun activists every time crap like this goes down.

jsbhike
12-21-19, 09:01
And people who know nothing about guns believe this is possible.
Breeding new rabid anti-gun activists every time crap like this goes down.

Along with no calls to disarm LE over it and language used to minimize severity of injuries versus the hyperbole that would ensue had this been a private citizen. Plus we would already be getting to see the video footage of Joe Blow finger banging the 43 at time of discharge as well.

Straight Shooter
12-21-19, 10:11
Was he Mexican?