PDA

View Full Version : Shooting brand new BCM?

Eurodriver
12-19-19, 18:10
I ordered a BCM (upper and lower separately) from G&R and it’s being delivered tomorrow, most likely around 1. At 3 I am doing a 2 gun match and would like to use this rifle.

Typically, when I get a new AR I run a bore snake through the barrel a few times and disassemble the BCG and remove all the sticky residue that comes from the factory (in particular with BCM) before lubing and reassembling.

Any concerns with just rocking and rolling as is? Pinning the two halves together and running it hard?

I’m not concerned with “proper break in” or any gay shit like that. This post strictly concerns whether the factory oil/preservatives will cause problems either temporarily (malfunctions) or permanently (accelerated wear/bore obstructions/idk).

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I’ve seen dumber on here so why not ask...

just a scout
12-19-19, 18:14
I think if you punch the bore quick and throw some lube, you’ll be fine. Just run it wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grizzlyblake
12-19-19, 18:14
You do more than I do. I just visually check the bore and then blast several hundred rounds to smoke off all the preservatives.

JediGuy
12-19-19, 18:15
Pretty sure my BCM lower didn’t have an heavy preservative. Basic practice in an upper would be to do as you describe and run a snake through it at least. But, I can’t recall if my BCM upper had preservatives. But I would definitely clean a Colt, they’ve got sticky stuff all over it.
I doubt anything permanent would be damaged, but I can’t imagine there is any positive to not cleaning off the preservative.

ABNAK
12-19-19, 18:32
Punch the bore, wipe off and relube the BCG, and let 'er rip.

ST911
12-19-19, 18:35
It's a BCM. Unbox, lube, and shoot.

grizzman
12-19-19, 19:07
Any concerns with just rocking and rolling as is? Pinning the two halves together and running it hard?

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I’ve seen dumber on here so why not ask...

If ya don't remove all of the preservative and lube it thoroughly, our universe will collapse in on itself, and you'll spend eternity in a special Hell for askers of stupid questions.

Seriously, you won't have one minute to run a bore snake through the barrel and another one to squirt some lube onto the bolt carrier? You could do that while waiting for your transfer to be completed. I wouldn't worry at all about removing the preservative.

Arik
12-19-19, 19:41
You do more than I do. I just visually check the bore and then blast several hundred rounds to smoke off all the preservatives.This is what I do

Voodoochild
12-19-19, 19:48
NOPE!!