PDA

View Full Version : Looks like ATF on tear,

223to45
12-20-19, 20:22
I guess they have recently reclassified the Franklin Armory Reformation as a SBS.

Then reclassified the Fostech Origin SBV as a SBS, AOW and Destructive device.

https://fostech.us/catalog/product/view/id/69/s/origin-12-sbv-hard-black/category/23/

Now the rumor is they are looking at reclassifying braces.

So keep a eye out.

Thanks Trump for stopping the assault on our second amendment.

Sorry if this has been posted, didnt see any discussion on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

223to45
12-20-19, 20:24
Now how long will it before they come other guns, like Remington Tac 14.

Pacific5th
12-20-19, 20:49
One of my local shops said they would not carry the Tac-14 or the Shockwave because they did not want to sell something they though might get reclassified. I don’t have one but I still hope they are wrong.

MountainRaven
12-20-19, 20:49
Thanks, Obama!

Oh, wait.

Jellybean
12-20-19, 20:55
Aaaaaand this shit is why I never seriously invested in braces... We all know a "reclassification" is right around the corner there, if some ATF twat gets a wild hair up their ass. :rolleyes:

jpmuscle
12-21-19, 02:36
tReAd HaRdEr dAdDy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
12-21-19, 03:23
It’s 4-D Chess g-guys, r-right?

flenna
12-21-19, 06:56
Well good thing the ATF jumped on this as the Origin SBV and Reformation have become the weapons of choice in murders and armed robbery waves across the country. The murder rate in Chicago alone will drop 50%. Well done Big Brother ATF, keeping us all safe.

Business_Casual
12-21-19, 07:51
Aaaaaand this shit is why I never seriously invested in braces... We all know a "reclassification" is right around the corner there, if some ATF twat gets a wild hair up their ass. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Braces were SBR bait from jump street.

Business_Casual
12-21-19, 07:51

the AR-15 Junkie
12-21-19, 08:17
Someone will be along soon to blame people for writing letters to the ATF asking for clarification lol.

AndyLate
12-21-19, 08:25
Thanks, Obama!

Oh, wait.

No, you were right the first time. Whose administration do you think hired/promoted the people who are making these descisions?

I get so freaking tired of watching the alpha class idiot anti-trumpets foam at the mouth.

Trump is not and has never been a gun guy, and NO ONE has ever implied he was. He is just better for us than any Democrat alternative in 2016 or now.

Maybe instead of trying to find news ways to say "Not my President", you could work within the political spectrum to support candidates that don't hate the US.

Andy

MountainRaven
12-21-19, 09:12
No, you were right the first time. Whose administration do you think hired/promoted the people who are making these descisions?

I get so freaking tired of watching the alpha class idiot anti-trumpets foam at the mouth.

Trump is not and has never been a gun guy, and NO ONE has ever implied he was. He is just better for us than any Democrat alternative in 2016 or now.

Maybe instead of trying to find news ways to say "Not my President", you could work within the political spectrum to support candidates that don't hate the US.

Andy

At no point did I mention Trump.

Everything is always about Trump for you.

It's unhealthy.

Get help.

jsbhike
12-21-19, 09:17
Trump is not and has never been a gun guy, and NO ONE has ever implied he was.

NO ONE except this guy, rally organizers, all the screamers in the audience, and countless profiles on firearms forums.

https://youtu.be/Fou-CjeZZZg

AndyLate
12-21-19, 09:57
Deleted - pretty far over the line

Andy

12-21-19, 10:04
If a general discussion thread occurs, and no-one mentions Trump, does it really exist?

jsbhike
12-21-19, 10:08
There is a huge difference between not actively seeking to destroy an activity and enthusiastically partaking in the activity. For example; I don't have a problem with homosexuality but, unlike yourself, I don't eat dicks.

What you are claiming isn't what he clearly stated, which was parroted by event organizers, the screamining devotees, and online profiles/followers.

What is your next baseless personal attack over the numerous and easily demonstrated examples that "NO ONE" is not an accurate claim?

sidewaysil80
12-21-19, 10:16
I have and always saw braces as a loop hole or flagrant exploitation of the law. Maybe not so much the initial sig brace, but they have gotten more and more “stock” like. I hate the NFA and wish they were all deregulated, however, it is the current law and now that they are on peoples radar and harder to legitimize as a wrist brace, i’m not surprised they are on the chopping block.

THCDDM4
12-21-19, 10:40
Once again, the “liberty loving” “2A come and take it” crowd is all too eager to infight and blame a piece of plastic and folks who buy it instead of unite to fight yet another attack on our rights and freedoms.

News for ya- the “current law” is unconstitutional. As long as people follow unconstitutional “laws” designed to slowly subjugate them by the State, we all lose.

You know, this is where I admire the left. At least they stick together when fighting for their causes.

I’m sick of the limp dick Right constantly redrawing lines in the sand and trading comfort for their Rights.

It’s a ****ing piece of plastic! How many more pieces of plastic are we going to allow the King to take from us?

How many more Roghts are we going to allow to be watered down into permissions?

How much more comfort will we perceive while allowing a stick to be slowly shoved up our asses?

Screw the ATF, I won’t follow any unconstitutional “laws” from them or anyone else.

Oh but I already hear it- “I’ve got so much to lose, I’ll bide my time, blah blah blah...”

News flash- you’re losing it bit by bit as you sit and do nothing but masturbate to that guns and ammo magazine. Might as well just turn em in or bury them if you want to keep your comfort over your Rights.

Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Obama, Trump- no use blaming any of them; the common denominator between these laws being passed is us; you and me, we just take it. As long as we do it doesn’t matter who we have in charge they will continue to shove the stick up our asses. Look in the mirror boys, it’s on us.

SeriousStudent
12-21-19, 10:59
If a general discussion thread occurs, and no-one mentions Trump, does it really exist?

You have truly unlocked the key to the universe. I think those folks in Stockholm should give you a call so you can fly over and get your prize. :)

Firefly
12-21-19, 11:02
https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/portrait-nerdy-positive-businessman-isolated-260nw-113072743.jpg

“Guys I gotta think of my family, my job, my mortgage, and my reputation. I can’t afford to buck these laws. Gotta comply guys. I’m sure you understand”

https://hoodpeoplethings.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/gwap-ak.jpg

“Yeah, Cuz......”

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/gang-members-courtesy-hispanicallyspeakingnews.com_.jpg

“....We understand....”

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/40/06/73/8416994/6/480x480.jpg

“......you’re doing the right thing.”

jpmuscle
12-21-19, 11:20
I have and always saw braces as a loop hole or flagrant exploitation of the law. Maybe not so much the initial sig brace, but they have gotten more and more “stock” like. I hate the NFA and wish they were all deregulated, however, it is the current law and now that they are on peoples radar and harder to legitimize as a wrist brace, i’m not surprised they are on the chopping block.

The law is the law and you must comply...

Literally every post online with shorties or cans:

“Oy, mate! You got that F1d and engraved properly with the correct 922r parts installed!?” “What? You built your own can?? OMG did you get your stamp first? Is that an extra spare baffle!?

jpmuscle
12-21-19, 11:22
Once again, the “liberty loving” “2A come and take it” crowd is all too eager to infight and blame a piece of plastic and folks who buy it instead of unite to fight yet another attack on our rights and freedoms.

News for ya- the “current law” is unconstitutional. As long as people follow unconstitutional “laws” designed to slowly subjugate them by the State, we all lose.

You know, this is where I admire the left. At least they stick together when fighting for their causes.

I’m sick of the limp dick Right constantly redrawing lines in the sand and trading comfort for their Rights.

It’s a ****ing piece of plastic! How many more pieces of plastic are we going to allow the King to take from us?

How much more comfort will we perceive while allowing a stick to be slowly shoved up our asses?

Screw the ATF, I won’t follow any unconstitutional “laws” from them or anyone else.

Oh but I already hear it- “I’ve got so much to lose, I’ll bide my time, blah blah blah...”

News flash- you’re losing it bit by bit as you sit and do nothing but masturbate to that guns and ammo magazine. Might as well just turn em in or bury them if you want to keep your comfort over your Rights.

Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Obama, Trump- no use blaming any of them; the common denominator between these laws being passed is us; you and me, we just take it. As long as we do it doesn’t matter who we have in charge they will continue to shove the stick up our asses. Look in the mirror boys, it’s on us.

While all true, the letter writers truly are retarded though.

Firefly
12-21-19, 11:30
Lol don’t mind me

armtx77
12-21-19, 11:55
https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/portrait-nerdy-positive-businessman-isolated-260nw-113072743.jpg

“Guys I gotta think of my family, my job, my mortgage, and my reputation. I can’t afford to buck these laws. Gotta comply guys. I’m sure you understand”

https://hoodpeoplethings.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/gwap-ak.jpg

“Yeah, Cuz......”

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/gang-members-courtesy-hispanicallyspeakingnews.com_.jpg

“....We understand....”

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/40/06/73/8416994/6/480x480.jpg

“......you’re doing the right thing.”

Hi-Fidelity right here.

LoboTBL
12-21-19, 12:38

I don't disagree with a single thing here. I remember when the first brace showed up here and nearly everyone poo-pooed it. Then it slowly gained acceptance and as the new brace designs came along, praises were sung on some designs while others faded away. Over the past year or so many have championed braces as the better option because of the lack of hassle and paperwork necessary to travel with them provided one has a license to exercise their constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Now many will chime in with their opinion that it is the fault of the piece of plastic/rubber and they never should have existed in the first place. This is of course correct in that there never would have been a 'need' for them to exist absent the absolutely ridiculous and pointless regulations of the NFA but 100% wrong in that they follow the regulations to the letter.

I can hardly wait to read, with disdain, how braces are just as bad as bumpstocks and that they too are not the hill anyone should be willing to die on. :mad:

prepare
12-21-19, 12:58
Deadly
Safe

opngrnd
12-21-19, 13:13
So what is it that brought the change in classification of the firearm in the OP?

AndyLate
12-21-19, 13:18
What is your next baseless personal attack?

Not an apology - I deleted the post before you replied because it was a personal attack and inappropriate.

opngrnd
12-21-19, 13:48
Anyway, I ask the board this: was the reclassification in the OP distinct to that product?

If it wasn't, what specific link does that have with pistol ARs, etc. For example: what makes it impossible to declare that all ARs are AR pistols due to the ability to swap uppers, and therefore all ARs are NFA items?

I feel that without looking at qualifying factors here, this becomes another "Obama's about to take your guns, directly, by force, 1 minutes from now if you don't immediately donate to NRA/call Reps/etc..."

I would think reclassifying pistol braces would be the biggest change done by the ATF in decades.

flenna
12-21-19, 14:27
This is no different than CA's constant changing of their unconstitutional gun laws to ban the work arounds of their previous unconstitutional gun laws.

OH58D
12-21-19, 14:51
You probably realize that there are a lot of gun owners who aren't in the loop or participate on online forums to advise them of legal changes to legally purchased firearms? Imagine if braced pistols were made NFA items, how many thousands or hundreds of thousands of gun owners would be instant criminals? The average person doesn't keep up with stuff like this.

Just like with 922r violations - I am guessing you could arrest and charge hundreds of thousands (or more) of gun owners for intentional or non-intentional violations of that one. What's the latest stat - 400 million firearms in the hands of the American public.

LoboTBL
12-21-19, 15:13
Anyway, I ask the board this: was the reclassification in the OP distinct to that product?

If it wasn't, what specific link does that have with pistol ARs, etc. For example: what makes it impossible to declare that all ARs are AR pistols due to the ability to swap uppers, and therefore all ARs are NFA items?

I feel that without looking at qualifying factors here, this becomes another "Obama's about to take your guns, directly, by force, 1 minutes from now if you don't immediately donate to NRA/call Reps/etc..."

I would think reclassifying pistol braces would be the biggest change done by the ATF in decades.

Apparently, the reclassification was due to the Origin SBV having a folding adapter as part of the brace assembly and the foldabilty/removability of the brace reduces the overall length below 26". That and the semi-auto function is all that functionally differentiates it from the Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington Tac14. I'm sure a number of individuals have added an adapter and a brace to those models and perhaps a folding adapter as well. So...the ATF ruling could possibly apply to Mossbergs and Remingtons with those modifications as well as AR's with braces and folding adapters. We'll see.

opngrnd
12-21-19, 15:29
You probably realize that there are a lot of gun owners who aren't in the loop or participate on online forums to advise them of legal changes to legally purchased firearms? Imagine if braced pistols were made NFA items, how many thousands or hundreds of thousands of gun owners would be instant criminals? The average person doesn't keep up with stuff like this.

Just like with 922r violations - I am guessing you could arrest and charge hundreds of thousands (or more) of gun owners for intentional or non-intentional violations of that one. What's the latest stat - 400 million firearms in the hands of the American public.
I understand what you're saying. I'm just thinking sometimes we overreact instead of being a proactive community.

Apparently, the reclassification was due to the Origin SBV having a folding adapter as part of the brace assembly and the foldabilty/removability of the brace reduces the overall length below 26". That and the semi-auto function is all that functionally differentiates it from the Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington Tac14. I'm sure a number of individuals have added an adapter and a brace to those models and perhaps a folding adapter as well. So...the ATF ruling could possibly apply to Mossbergs and Remingtons with those modifications as well as AR's with braces and folding adapters. We'll see.

Thank you!

jsbhike
12-21-19, 16:03

All of that plus many that are aware of it think it is like some kind of Jim Crow law that won't get applied to them, just others lumped under the category of bad people that need to get tossed under the jail.

flenna
12-21-19, 16:09
It will just be something else to nail you on when your neighbor red flags you because of your Trump 2024 sign in your front yard. SWAT shows up to seize your goods and find a bump stock, pistol brace and unpinned FH on a 14.5" barrel. Now you are doing 10-20 in the federal pen and the world is now a safer place.

prepare
12-21-19, 18:28
deleted.

yoni
12-21-19, 19:26
Just because ATF ruled against a couple of things, does not mean they will rule against everything.

Having said that I don't trust government

OldState
12-22-19, 06:34
I’m interested to see how “common use” is discussed in the upcoming SCOTUS cases. Braces, AR pistols, and SBRS are out there in massive numbers now

Esq.
12-22-19, 07:49

Your newsletter, how often do you print? I should like to invest in a subscription.

Pappabear
12-22-19, 09:06
I guess they have recently reclassified the Franklin Armory Reformation as a SBS.

Then reclassified the Fostech Origin SBV as a SBS, AOW and Destructive device.

https://fostech.us/catalog/product/view/id/69/s/origin-12-sbv-hard-black/category/23/

Now the rumor is they are looking at reclassifying braces.

So keep a eye out.

Thanks Trump for stopping the assault on our second amendment.

Sorry if this has been posted, didnt see any discussion on it.

I always worried about this Brace deal, so I just SBR's my stuff. Sucks but I felt like the brace thing would get killed. Shocked it has gone this long.

mack7.62
12-22-19, 10:01
So lets see, for the price of one SBR stamp you can buy two pistol braces that will give you two pistols that can cross most state lines anytime, be loaded in a car, have no months long wait time and NFA paper trail and can always be reconfigured if need be. So can someone explain to me how having multiple SBR's makes sense? Right, they will come for the NFA items last, but they will come for them and they will know where they are.

Also let us not forget the original rational for the brace which is to enable one armed firing for disabled people. Yes it has strayed pretty far from that but there is still a pool of disabled folks out there who will have a pretty strong court case against any ban.

OH58D
12-22-19, 10:33
Every last one of my SBR's can be returned to non-SBR status with the simple replacement to a 16 inch barreled upper or return pistol configuration of an HK or Galil Ace with replacement of the end cap/receiver cap. Is it worth the hassle? I guess so if you travel across State lines with it or in the rare chance HUMVEEs and MRAPs driven by the totalitarian overlords will turn off of two-lane blacktop and travel 16 miles of dirt road just to reach my house. If the US gets to that point, these totalitarians will have their hands full in the urban and suburban areas.

jpmuscle
12-22-19, 11:46
You don’t have to worry about SBR restrictions if you don’t SBR anything in the first place.

Modern problems modern solutions et al.

You’re welcome for my levity.

Firefly
12-22-19, 11:49
This country is backwards.

We raid ships in the night over tea taxes but are totally cool with folks finger wagging us over guns, liquor, and smokes.

For no reason!

jpmuscle
12-22-19, 11:51

We raid ships in the night over tea taxes but are totally cool with folks finger wagging us over guns, liquor, and smokes.

For no reason!

Pay yo taxes

MistWolf
12-22-19, 11:52

So what? I got to do a lot of shooting with the brace that I wouldn't have otherwise. Remember, in 1776 we declared our independence, then fought the British tyrants when they tried to prove us wrong. We've got to hang together and vote the bastards out, not eat our own.

fledge
12-22-19, 12:17
Writing letters to the ATF is bad.

Equally bad however is posting public justification for the ATF to ban more stuff. We have educated the gun control lobby extensively the last decade.

Too often our community sounds like a bunch of anxious slaves arguing over the latest trends in shackles and chains and who wore them best.

Let’s spend more energy unifying around leaders doing work and strategizing how to end the slavery.

Every comment like these should be matched as penance with a $25 donation to Firearms Policy Coalition.

Firefly
12-22-19, 12:39
We need to buy off politicians.

The system is corrupt. Use the corruption.

We all need to start buying off people who can BTFO the ATF.

They aren’t cops (like in the real world) they aren’t god. They are, were, and shall perpetually be tax collectors.

This all started under FDR and nobody thought enough to try and bribe people. Every politician is a whore. Whores cost money. No whore spreads out of pity nor kindness. I feel like if every NRA member got together and paid off some Democrats that we would have cash and carry 249s by now.

jsbhike
12-22-19, 12:53

For no reason!

It seems to be due to feeling a connection to/affinity for members of "the group" in many cases.

It is how Appalachian clan warfare worked. A person may have hated a given action, but when that action was committed by a family member they were willing to kill anyone and every one to support their family member.

Blacks typically only take issue with white on black slavery in the new world(particularly the last 5 years of it), while turning a blind eye to black on black slavery that existed here during that time as well as black on black slavery in Africa before, during, and after the discovery of the new world up to the present day.

Political parties, certain religious groups, and some occupational classes frequently exhibit the same behavior also.

Firefly
12-22-19, 13:48
It seems to be due to feeling a connection to/affinity for members of "the group" in many cases.

It is how Appalachian clan warfare worked. A person may have hated a given action, but when that action was committed by a family member they were willing to kill anyone and every one to support their family member.

Blacks typically only take issue with white on black slavery in the new world(particularly the last 5 years of it), while turning a blind eye to black on black slavery that existed here during that time as well as black on black slavery in Africa before, during, and after the discovery of the new world up to the present day.

Political parties, certain religious groups, and some occupational classes frequently exhibit the same behavior also.

This is where my eye rolls so hard I can see my own brain.

You are exactly correct.

Black folks are taught from the cradle that “whitey did ya dirty. F him!” And carry that attitude unironically for years.

Like, my people got the vote dead last. Blacks and women were voting before Natives. Lost a continent. Got displaced. Were fighting wars until the 20th century (with blacks doing most of the killing on behalf of the Federal government)

And yet while some of the older people hold a bit of what I will politely call ‘cynicism’; I was never in that atmosphere to disparage the White man.

Different cultures are different. Maybe blacks just hold grudges to feel important But I was always taught, as a person, that you cannot change what has happened. You can only forgive, be it yourself or others, and do better next time.

I tell you what. I’m an Eddie Murphy fan. He was my childhood. I have all Beverly Hills Cop movies on VHS AND DVD(BHC 3 was not as good but not horrible). But I remember a SNL skit he did where he plays an angry black son and Lou Gossett Jr. plays his downtrodden and broken angry black father and they go on this whold Lorraine Hainsbury style Raisin in the Sun bit about being a broken, poor, put upon Black dysfunctional family and then Eddie Murphy is like “Wait, this is dumb. I LOVED my father”

Actually naw instead of typing up a transcript watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKPi66Us27Q

And that was almost 40 years ago

Move on. Things are not that bad. Barely an annoyance.

OH58D
12-22-19, 15:30
You don’t have to worry about SBR restrictions if you don’t SBR anything in the first place.

Modern problems modern solutions et al.

There are a number I have run into over the years who take that approach by not bothering to do the paperwork and $200 for their legally purchased weapons, then choose use in the shorter barrel configuration or use of a folding or collapsible stock. Back in earlier times, it was the sawed off shotgun. For me I don't care. It's their guns. In my case, I wanted to at least begin in a legal position. The stock on an H&K SP5K or SP89 is just more practical and easier to use than without.

A tax stamped SBR is basically Federal Registration, so they already know what I have in those limited instances. Everything else that is non-NFA will never be registered by me with the State or Feds. In fact anything I own will not be surrendered no matter what new restrictions or laws get passed. An easy solution for a potentially complex problem.

JediGuy
12-22-19, 18:09
A tax stamped SBR is basically Federal Registration, so they already know what I have in those limited instances... anything I own will not be surrendered no matter what new restrictions or laws get passed.

This is it for those who have registered or purchased from a dealer.
But realistically, if something isn’t done before “they” come knocking nicely on everyone’s door who has ever completed a 4473 (let alone a 5320.whatever), a bunch of people are going to die alone on their porches

Buncheong
12-24-19, 21:16
Hi-Fidelity right here.

This ^

Buncheong
12-24-19, 21:20

Excellent points.

hotrodder636
12-25-19, 11:14
From the OP, this started out because the Fostech was below the minimum length requirement.

Besides the talk in here, I have not seen anything mentioned anywhere recently about banning braces. Where did that rumor start? Is this us being our own worse enemies?

I have however seen a change in views on 80% lowers, in PA IIRC, now being classified/treated as a firearm. Figured that would be coming after the recent CA shooting.

Jellybean
12-25-19, 13:07
From the OP, this started out because the Fostech was below the minimum length requirement.

Besides the talk in here, I have not seen anything mentioned anywhere recently about banning braces. Where did that rumor start? Is this us being our own worse enemies?

I have however seen a change in views on 80% lowers, in PA IIRC, now being classified/treated as a firearm. Figured that would be coming after the recent CA shooting.

Yes. It's just the usual speculative blabbering.
I think I may have inadvertently stoked the fire back on page one when I made a comment regarding the fickleness of ATF and the possibility of an unexpected reclassification, NOT that "they're coming for the braces now!"

Although TBF, per the second bold... they probably will sooner than later, given the bumpstock "it's just a piece of plastic that shouldn't have existed in the first place" fiasco... :rolleyes:
Low hanging fruit and all that like 80% lowers, mags, etc...

However, if anyone does want to panic, I've got a couple 11.5 uppers and Shockwave braces in the EE for NON-related reasons... :laugh: