PDA

View Full Version : A1, thoughts and how to acquire?

jhs1969
11-17-08, 23:54
I had not shot an A1 in about 25 years, picked up and fondled a SP1 at the last gun show. I was re-impressed how light they are for a 20" rifle. What are your thoughts on an A1?

What is the best way to acquie an A1? The prices for a Colt SP1 are, IMO, too high. I have seen a few Colt M16A1 uppers for sale, good idea to get one, add a good BCG and any lower of my choice?

BM's website still offers a A1 upper but how would I find an A1 barrel?

My wife wants me to get a second LMT M4 before pursuing anything else (even the Mini 14 she likes so well), and has pretty much left all firearm decisions up to me, meaning I can get the LMT and chase down an A1 before trying to get anything she might want. No wonder I love her so much (among other reasons:p)

tiger seven
11-18-08, 01:29
I have seen a few Colt M16A1 uppers for sale, good idea to get one, add a good BCG and any lower of my choice?

That's what I did.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/A1_1.jpg

It looks a bit funny (if not obscene) to the old-school purists, but it's very lightweight and it runs great. It's the only 20" upper I own, and the only one I care to own. :)

Derek

SethB
11-18-08, 02:07
That stock is about seven ounces lighter than an A1.

**** the purists.

As for what I'm doing, tomorrow I will send off money for a 6520 barrel, then shortly after I will get an NDS upper and add a rail.

See my comments on the purists above.