PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-Action AR?

Locutus
12-23-19, 15:57
I live in Virginia where the upcoming "assault weapons ban" in the form of SB-16 is soon to be passed. Under it (as currently proposed), any semi-auto centerfire with a collapsible stock OR a pistol grip OR a threaded barrel will soon be illegal and that pretty much eliminated any variation of the AR platform. Also, as currently proposed, there is no grandfathering. Rumors of it, but nothing more than rumors at this point. SO..., I'm wondering if there is any market for bolt-action uppers? I found one online by a company I've never heard of, but they begin at $1088. Might there be other makers within a more realistic price range? I'm only looking for reasonable accuracy because my aging eyes and shakey hands will not do justice to a high-precision rig.

Thanks in advance!

just a scout
12-23-19, 16:35
If you’re at that point, get a Ruger Precision Rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

caporider
12-23-19, 16:37
If you’re at that point, get a Ruger Precision Rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or the new Sig Cross bolt action rifle. Without grandfathering, what good does just an upper do you...?

Locutus
12-23-19, 17:00
Or the new Sig Cross bolt action rifle. Without grandfathering, what good does just an upper do you...?

The key words are semi-automatic centerfire. The lower receiver is still useful. There are fewer restrictions on semi-auto rimfire, but I would need to go back and read the draft before I gave that any real thought.

Tx_Aggie
12-23-19, 21:39
The key words are semi-automatic centerfire. The lower receiver is still useful. There are fewer restrictions on semi-auto rimfire, but I would need to go back and read the draft before I gave that any real thought.

If your goal is compliance, I'd wait until the AWB bill (SB16) is finalized and passed before buying anything. This section is a big problem:

""Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in §18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2."

It's vague and broad enough that it could be argued to render your lower an AW, even with a bolt action upper attached, or even a rimfire upper.

Victory
12-24-19, 00:23
If your goal is compliance, I'd wait until the AWB bill (SB16) is finalized and passed before buying anything. This section is a big problem:

It's vague and broad enough that it could be argued to render your lower an AW, even with a bolt action upper attached, or even a rimfire upper.

Oof, that is a problem. I was about to recommend the Kali-Key but not sure it’s enough.

https://kalikey.com/

AndyLate
12-24-19, 06:02
Why not a pump action? It seems like it would be a simple conversion, only need to remove gas tube and replace barrel nut/handguard.

It would also be simple to build a straight pull bolt action with one of the side-charger uppers.

On the flip side, you can get a Fightlight SCR lower and get a barrel without a threaded muzzle.

https://fightlite.com/rifles/scr

Chameleox
12-24-19, 07:04
A lot of this depends on how the final bill reads, as Tx_Aggie said.

Another part of this is coming to a clear picture of what you do with your AR, and whether or not you want whatever you build to fill that role. I gather from the original post that the OP isn’t particularly interested in a precision rifle build, but I don’t have a clear picture of what role the rifle is currently filling. That should drive your selection.

Personally, I think that once you take an AR and remove the “semiauto” aspect of its design, you might be better off looking at a different platform, depending on goals. I get wanting to keep the lower, but given all the variables involved, ergonomically, functionally, and legally, you might be better off.

Alex V
12-24-19, 08:09
So much for "I will not comply"

Why not just get a LANTAC Straight pull BCG and convert an existing upper to essentially bolt action operation? OOS now,may be back in stock in time, not sure.

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/enhanced-bcg-straight-pull-223-5-56

flenna
12-24-19, 10:24

It's a shame what the blue plague is doing to the great state of Virginia. I think it will be a bellwether of things to come and how patriots will react.

JediGuy
12-24-19, 11:21
It's a shame what the blue plague is doing to the great state of Virginia. I think it will be a bellwether of things to come and how patriots will react.

https://youtu.be/wv4Utm-OJK8

markm
12-24-19, 13:08

No Shit! Why not get ahead of the game and get the flint f@#king lock version.

If you have to talk about a bolt action AR, It's time to put your semi to use.

BoringGuy45
12-24-19, 17:05

Agreed.

Now, I guess I can understand if a person is just looking for a hobby. That is, they don't really give a shit about gun rights per say, and the day the government comes for the bolt actions, they're fine with turning them in and saying "Oh well, it was fun while it lasted."

OP, if you want an AR, get one that won't be grandfathered. F**k the VA government.

yoni
12-24-19, 17:13
I started out with a bolt gun as a sniper, today it is AR in 6.5 Grendal .

I will use my semi auto rifles to strike a blow for freedom, before I will go back to a bolt action.

Forget being rounded up for being a Jew, or any other subversive group, going back to a bolt action that is beyond the pale.

Alex V
12-24-19, 18:11

This guy gets it.

Chameleox
12-24-19, 20:22
Maybe the OP has other ARs and is interested in this as either a goof, or for something that won’t attract as much attention in public.

Maybe *gasp* the OP has other priorities and interests in his life besides owning semiautomatic rifles, so a ban or compliance isn’t as angst-producing as it seems to be for some people here.

I get all the “molon labe”, “cold dead hands”, “when you have to bury your guns it’s time to dig them up” talk. But no one but the OP can know what particular personal, social, political, occupational, or familial factors are going into the decision to “neuter” an AR. If you want politics, social commentary, and chest beating, there’s a great sub forum a few clicks down where we direct new members who want to use AR general discussion for political banter or gun legislation talk. I think there’s already a thread or two on the Virginia situation and what people say they’ll do when guns are banned.

I’m not a mod, but can we keep the politicking and flag waving down there and deal with the original question as a thought exercise?

Not trying to sound like an ass, but maybe the OPs question can be answered on its merits without the editorial. You wouldn’t it do it because Patriot. Got it. Is it still a feasible or practical option?

Merry Christmas, or Happynondenominationalwinterholiday

mlberry
12-25-19, 12:11
Ruger American Ranch bolt action in 5.56/.223 with detachable AR magazine. As the Australians have called it: The Australian Assault Weapon.

js8588
12-25-19, 15:27
If you get a bolt action to cope with a pending AWB, make sure it has a long barrel so it causes more damage when you shove it up the gun grabbers @$$

Diamondback
12-25-19, 15:47
Maybe the OP has other ARs and is interested in this as either a goof, or for something that won’t attract as much attention in public.

Maybe *gasp* the OP has other priorities and interests in his life besides owning semiautomatic rifles, so a ban or compliance isn’t as angst-producing as it seems to be for some people here.

I get all the “molon labe”, “cold dead hands”, “when you have to bury your guns it’s time to dig them up” talk. But no one but the OP can know what particular personal, social, political, occupational, or familial factors are going into the decision to “neuter” an AR. If you want politics, social commentary, and chest beating, there’s a great sub forum a few clicks down where we direct new members who want to use AR general discussion for political banter or gun legislation talk. I think there’s already a thread or two on the Virginia situation and what people say they’ll do when guns are banned.

I’m not a mod, but can we keep the politicking and flag waving down there and deal with the original question as a thought exercise?

Not trying to sound like an ass, but maybe the OPs question can be answered on its merits without the editorial. You wouldn’t it do it because Patriot. Got it. Is it still a feasible or practical option?

Merry Christmas, or Happynondenominationalwinterholiday

I've noticed a trend in some sectors here that they'd rather dunk on the person with a question than try to provide a direct meaningful answer to the question. As a wise man of high regard on this site who I greatly respect once told me...

"To keep things simple on Christmas Eve, pity the ignorant and those who have lives which require them to act out on the internet. We should keep them in our prayers as they appear to be lacking in both character and manners."

mcnabb100
12-25-19, 18:26
Check out the KaliKey, it will turn any ar into a straight pull for 90 bucks.

Diamondback
12-25-19, 18:30
JMHO, but as a technical exercise if I were doing this I'd get a side-charger upper and a barrel with no gas port. Kino/Faux Dissy-style "blind" FSB mounted for sighting only, no gas tube.

fingerguns
12-25-19, 19:50
Troy makes a pretty sweet straight pull AR.

flenna
12-25-19, 20:21
Nevermind...

jpmuscle
12-25-19, 20:25
I live in Virginia where the upcoming "assault weapons ban" in the form of SB-16 is soon to be passed. Under it (as currently proposed), any semi-auto centerfire with a collapsible stock OR a pistol grip OR a threaded barrel will soon be illegal and that pretty much eliminated any variation of the AR platform. Also, as currently proposed, there is no grandfathering. Rumors of it, but nothing more than rumors at this point. SO..., I'm wondering if there is any market for bolt-action uppers? I found one online by a company I've never heard of, but they begin at $1088. Might there be other makers within a more realistic price range? I'm only looking for reasonable accuracy because my aging eyes and shakey hands will not do justice to a high-precision rig.

Thanks in advance!

No

You better be at Rally Point X-ray with everyone else loaded and ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky5019
12-25-19, 21:26
No

You better be at Rally Point X-ray with everyone else loaded and ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This plus I’m in NC and will gladly supply any atf non-prohibited person their preferred M4. Just pm me after it passes with any questions.

non-hallal
12-27-19, 17:22
Troy makes a pretty sweet straight pull AR.

This, if you have to go the straight pull route, these work well.... Local guy has one, worked well though not as fun as a semi....

vicious_cb
12-27-19, 19:46
Do it! As long as you can easily convert it back to regular AR when the Big Boogaloo happens...

RHINOWSO
12-27-19, 19:48
"What AR-15 officer? I sold that shit to comply with Gubbinor Blackface and the rapist Vice Gov. anti-2A laws..."

VAJack
01-06-20, 13:26
If you are in Virginia you had better make plans for the 20th.

https://vcdl.org/

Lobby Day is an annual event, and has been very useful in the past. But a clear message has been sent to Richmond with the quickness of establishing 2nd Amendment sanctuaries, and it's not just "several" as the local news has said. 117 counties, towns and cities have declared themselves 2A sanctuaries since the elections in November. We've made our point clear, the next move is theirs.

To keep it somewhat on topic, I have zero plans to alter or rehome any of my rifles. One of the joys of having private sales is the state doesn't know who has what, as things were intended to be