PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on an upper

Huntar1500
12-24-19, 23:34
I know there are a lot of questions of this type by I need help deciding on an upper. This will be for part home defense, part training and ranch use (carried in vehicles like trucks and utvs for predators). I am looking for decent quality so I have narrowed it down to a few. Daniel defense M4A1 either with or without FSP, Geissele URG-I, BCM BCM-URG-MID-14-BFH-ELW-MCMR-13 and BCM BCM-MK2-URG-MID-14-BFH-ELW-QRF12. I do have a bolt action 223 with a 26 inch barrel and 4.5-14 scope for longer shots so this will complement it. I am not opposed to a 16 inch barrel in something similar but have been looking hard at a 14.5 inch pinned and welded. The question is which one? I am not dead set on these and will consider similar or alternate options.Any advice is welcome.
Thank you

everready73
12-25-19, 07:29
Any of those would be fine. I prefer BCM complete uppers/rifles over DD, but do believe DD had better barrels.

Really comes down to features you want/prefer. I would look into SOLGW and Sionics as well

JediGuy
12-25-19, 07:32
Any of those would be fine. I prefer BCM complete uppers/rifles over DD, but do believe DD had better barrels.

Really comes down to features you want/prefer. I would look into SOLGW and Sionics as well

This.

There are other options, but frankly none that demand consideration over DD, BCM, Sionics, Geissele, or SOLGW.

Personally, I’d pick whichever option would pin/weld for me upon purchase.

themonk
12-25-19, 08:04
The BCM will be handier. The DD will be more accurate.

Wake27
12-25-19, 08:58
BCM with MCMR. I’d do QRF on a shorter gun but not a 12” quad on a 14.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65panhed
12-25-19, 11:20
Sig Sauer 14.5 in 516 upper with Surefire warcomp p/w. Nice rifle on any lower. Good luck!

Wake27
12-25-19, 11:27
Sig Sauer 14.5 in 516 upper with Surefire warcomp p/w. Nice rifle on any lower. Good luck!

Gross

65panhed
12-25-19, 12:40
Gross

Gross??? You sir, don'tknowshit.

Wake27
12-25-19, 13:08
Gross??? You sir, don'tknowshit.

No one uses Sig ARs. Probably for a reason. I don’t think Kyle Lamb even uses them.

65panhed
12-25-19, 13:15
Thanx for the tip.

65panhed
12-25-19, 13:18
My most sincere apologies for encroaching on you turf. I will go now.

Wake27
12-25-19, 14:29
My most sincere apologies for encroaching on you turf. I will go now.

No need to go anywhere. There’s lots of good info here. Don’t let my opinion scare you away.

26 Inf
12-25-19, 14:52
No one uses Sig ARs. Probably for a reason. I don’t think Kyle Lamb even uses them.

What's that all about?

me2hootyhoo
12-25-19, 14:57
I sold a DD M4a1 recently to a bud. Also have the BCM mcmr 14.5 bfh lw complete rifle. Even with the mod comp on the BCM, the DD seems to be smoother shooting, less noise too because of the flash hider vs comp. Hard to beat a DD barrel. No wrong answer in your selections. Just remember pin & weld is a done deal, and I can’t stand the BCM comp.

Wake27
12-25-19, 15:01
What's that all about?

I don't know if sponsored is the right term, but I know he does a ton of work with Sig. I've never seen him consistently using a 516 though, and he's the only guy I can think of that might.

MountainRaven
12-25-19, 15:04
I don't know if sponsored is the right term, but I know he does a ton of work with Sig. I've never seen him consistently using a 516 though, and he's the only guy I can think of that might.

There is an M400 VTAC, though.

26 Inf
12-25-19, 17:43

Thanks, IDK that.

Walker_Texasranger
12-25-19, 19:49
I sold a DD M4a1 recently to a bud. Also have the BCM mcmr 14.5 bfh lw complete rifle. Even with the mod comp on the BCM, the DD seems to be smoother shooting, less noise too because of the flash hider vs comp. Hard to beat a DD barrel. No wrong answer in your selections. Just remember pin & weld is a done deal, and I can’t stand the BCM comp.

Interesting. I have a 14.5 BCM with the Comp and think it’s great. I don’t have a DD to compare it to though. Maybe a bit overgassed but can’t really say for sure on that either. I don’t notice extra noise from the comp and I primarily shoot indoors.

me2hootyhoo
12-25-19, 21:42
Interesting. I have a 14.5 BCM with the Comp and think it’s great. I don’t have a DD to compare it to though. Maybe a bit overgassed but can’t really say for sure on that either. I don’t notice extra noise from the comp and I primarily shoot indoors.

The comp does work. My wife has a DD slw which is almost mechanically identical to my BCM. Gas ports are the same if I remember correctly. Same buffer and springs etc. The bcm is smoother due to the comp, but everyone hates to be around it when shooting. We use double ear protection when shooting so I don’t notice it much, but off to the side is horrible. I ran it through a class, and the noise and dust made me dislike it very quickly.

I’m not sure the bcm comp is aggressive enough to make a noticeable difference indoors, either way it’s stupid loud shooting an AR indoors lol

Huntar1500
12-25-19, 22:09
I think I am starting to narrow it down between the Geissele and Daniel Defense. Thank you very much for all the information.

Walker_Texasranger
12-26-19, 09:19
The comp does work. My wife has a DD slw which is almost mechanically identical to my BCM. Gas ports are the same if I remember correctly. Same buffer and springs etc. The bcm is smoother due to the comp, but everyone hates to be around it when shooting. We use double ear protection when shooting so I don’t notice it much, but off to the side is horrible. I ran it through a class, and the noise and dust made me dislike it very quickly.

I’m not sure the bcm comp is aggressive enough to make a noticeable difference indoors, either way it’s stupid loud shooting an AR indoors lol

O nice. I want one of those DD SLWs too. I do double up on hearing with anything indoors. Only thing that bothers me is when someone shoots a short barreled AR.

BmNJ
12-26-19, 11:01
I have a URGI with a BCM BCG that has been flawless so far (~1k rounds). I also have a Sig M400 for years that has never given me a problem either :secret:

Huntar1500
12-26-19, 17:20
I went for the Daniel Defense, I found a good price on Gunbroker. Thank you very much for all the information.