PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Things

WillBrink
12-25-19, 15:17
I'm behind the curve on various NF shows as I didn't have it, so excuse the tardiness of some of these reviews/recs if old news. As all my favorites were off line or over (e.g., GOT, The Expanse, etc) and I heard NF had some solid shows, I started on the NF stuff. I kept hearing and Stranger Things, and I'm glad to gave it a chance.

I'm at midway or so of Season 2 and wow, it's original, very well done, excellent effects/CGI, character development, dialogue, the works.

It's sort of The Goonies meets Alien in season one, and The Goonies, meets Super 8 meets Aliens season 2, Season 2 is damn good.

If you have watched this show, no spoilers as I'm mid way of 2 when the interdimensional creatures are kicking ass and taking names on the humans who thought they were in control.

I can see why this show has has such a following and I hope it continues to get even better.

A-

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/

223to45
12-25-19, 15:37
Yeah kind of hooked on that one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tn1911
12-25-19, 15:47
Don’t forget to watch the talk show Beyond Stranger Things on NF as well

chuckman
12-25-19, 17:06
The two guys that came up with it went to a local high school, went to high school with my sister-in-law. I've never seen an episode but apparently they have a lot of references to local areas in their show.

WillBrink
12-25-19, 17:10
Yeah kind of hooked on that one.

Me too! Are you up to current season? I hope it continues to be as good as I watch on.

Don’t forget to watch the talk show Beyond Stranger Things on NF as well

I'll check it out, thanx.

The two guys that came up with it went to a local high school, went to high school with my sister-in-law. I've never seen an episode but apparently they have a lot of references to local areas in their show.

Very cool. :cool:

223to45
12-25-19, 17:51
Me too! Are you up to current season? I hope it continues to be as good as I watch on.

I'll check it out, thanx.

Very cool. :cool:Yes. New season generally last a few days.

tn1911
12-25-19, 18:01
Yes. New season generally last a few days.

I’m on my third rewatch since October!

Season 4 should be good but it’s still a long ways out :(

Circle_10
12-26-19, 07:10
I didn't think Season 3 was as good as the previous two but it's overall a fun show.
I've consistently been impressed by how well they replicated the "look" of the 1980s. Honestly I was very young during that decade (I was born in '81) so I wasn't quite as "aware" of 80's culture as I was of 90's culture but it certainly looks spot on in terms of the aesthetic as I remember it from movies and TV. Even the font for the opening credits looks authentic.
But as someone with legit OCD that makes me an insufferable details-obsessed nitpicker, I have some critiques.

The writing strays into modern-day SJW themes sometimes, but I guess that's hard to avoid these days.

The CGI, particularly the creature effects in the first two seasons, frequently isn't very good and is sometimes jarringly unconvincing. My opinion is that since this is an 80's homage, if the show had a limited effects budget than puppetry in the vein of Gremlins or C.H.U.D. etc.. would have been better if for no other reason than it's period-correctness. Cheesy practical effects are nostalgic, cheesy CGI just looks like shit.

While the show's crew has clearly gone to extraordinary lengths to replicate the aesthetic of the 1980s, with everything from the haircuts to the clothes to the music....for some reason much less attention was paid to the guns so there are some pretty glaring anachronisms there (MP5Ks with B&T folding stocks for instance).

Also now and then the dialogue slips up and you catch a character using a more modern colloquialism that as far as I can tell wasn't in wide use prior to the 1990s.

hotrodder636
12-26-19, 20:28
I have thoroughly enjoyed this show. Excited for the next season to come out.

SteyrAUG
12-28-19, 00:09
Stranger Things is the reason I broke down and added NF streaming two years ago.

bp7178
12-28-19, 01:12
Season 3 got up its own ass with dragging all the modern day PC bullshit into the show. It just didn't feel organic and natural to the story line but felt rather forced. Season 1 is the best though. It came out of no where and hit it out of the park.