PDA

View Full Version : Best source for mil-spec bolts?

opngrnd
12-25-19, 16:53
This is a year of focusing on consumables for me. Where is the best place to grab mil-spec bolts? I see that you can get Daniel Defense bolts from Primary Arms for under $60. Otherwise I'm thinking of grabbing a spare bolt when I grab another BCG from Sionics.

ABNAK
12-25-19, 17:06
This is a year of focusing on consumables for me. Where is the best place to grab mil-spec bolts? I see that you can get Daniel Defense bolts from Primary Arms for under $60. Otherwise I'm thinking of grabbing a spare bolt when I grab another BCG from Sionics.

If you can get the DD for < $60 grab 'em. I'm not a trusting person, so this is not a slam on Primary Arms, but the only thing I don't like about DD bolts is that there are no markings (at least ones I've had in the past). Too bad DD itself isn't letting them go for that because that is a pretty good deal on a damn good bolt.

opngrnd
12-25-19, 17:17
I missed out, they're OOS. Too bad, they were only $53.xx... maybe they'll be back in stock before PA's sale is over.

You can also grab Sionics BCGs for $100.xx, so I might just grab another from there.

Victory
12-25-19, 17:26
Colt bolts from Shark Arms for ~$60 when they’re in stock.

TheGhostRider
12-25-19, 18:41
I've always been a "Go Colt or Go Home" person... I dig my war horses and trust them with my life.
So... This is not an endorsement by me nor do I have any connections to any of these companies.
The specs "appear" to be good. So I'm merely pointing them out.
Therefore... YMMV...

Example 1: includes a "Forever Warranty". Of course the warranty while nice would be frowned upon were it needed during a "2 way range" failure.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-mil-spec-mp-hpt-bolt-carrier-group-prod78714.aspx

Example 2:
https://www.toolcraftinc.com/product/bolt-mp/

Example 3:
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/5-56nato-bolt-158carpenter-steel-hpt-mpi/

And of course#3
http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-bolt-group/bolt-assembly-us-military/

Arik
12-26-19, 07:00
Toolcraft?

OldState
12-26-19, 11:14
Toolcraft?

I believe they are a military contractor for bolts and BCGs

Firefly
12-26-19, 12:41
LMT E-Bolts. Like all day.

opngrnd
12-26-19, 13:38

Any objective data that they last longer than standard mil-spec?

12-26-19, 14:08
Toolcraft all day long.

Slater
12-26-19, 14:13

I watched Chris Bartocci's video on enhanced bolt carriers. Seems that the LMT Enhanced is far superior to the standard USGI product, and it's design was originally requested by SOCOM. However, it wasn't adopted due to the fact that it wouldn't function satisfactorily in rifle-length weapons (bolt carrier bounce, or some such).

js8588
12-26-19, 14:57
I watched Chris Bartocci's video on enhanced bolt carriers. Seems that the LMT Enhanced is far superior to the standard USGI product, and it's design was originally requested by SOCOM. However, it wasn't adopted due to the fact that it wouldn't function satisfactorily in rifle-length weapons (bolt carrier bounce, or some such).

Technically it's LMTs Bolt Carrier that wouldn't function as reliability in a rifle length gas system. It's designed to fix overgassing. The bolts themselves will work with any system and because of their construction, are virtually impossible to break...of course if you need a new extractor, good luck.

Firefly
12-26-19, 15:07

Not doubting you but I think that is somewhat apocryphal per rifle length gas. But is well addressed in this thread with a lot of highly relevant posters

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?196515-LMT-Enhanced-BCG-question/page4

I mentioned the E bolt. E BCG is different and was built around the carbine gas.

For me, and my uses, I don’t really mess with 20” rifles anymore except for old Namgats.

16” is probably the longest I will go anymore. No real reason otherwise.

The E Bolt will hold up way way better and if you get one that is lacking; LMT will help you out.

You can use the E Bolt independent of the EBCG.

I mean you can keep USGI bolts on hand but you don’t need to.

The only BCG that I think is probably too niche to consider at this point is the Surefire one.

I mean if we want to play the card, LMT E Bolts have an NSN. So it’s not snake oil. Mine works and I literally don’t care what I shoot in my Colt.

opngrnd
12-26-19, 15:13
Given that anything can fail, it sounds like starting out with an E-bolt and keeping mil-spec bolts as spares is an option. Any E-bolt longevity tests been posted? I'll read the thread Firefly posted as well.

JediGuy
12-26-19, 15:41
Thanks for the DD bolt headsup. Even $66 isn’t too shabby for a “name brand”, and Brownells always has some discount code going on. I figure that beats Shark’s FN bolts for $70.

odugrad
12-26-19, 15:43
I'm surprised no one mentioned BCM. I would recommend those. Might be a little more. But...it's BCM.

opngrnd
12-26-19, 16:15
I'm surprised no one mentioned BCM. I would recommend those. Might be a little more. But...it's BCM.

BCM bolts are ~$80. A Sionics or Centurion Arms BCG is ~$100 on sale. It's like buying a BCM bolt, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, and getting an assembled carrier for an extra $10. If I could reliably get proven bolts for $50-$60ish, it'd be more tempting.

scooter22
12-26-19, 17:06
I don't think Toolcraft makes their own bolts, but Microbest does :D

However, I suppose it doesn't really matter who actually makes what as long as it's reliable.

alx01
12-26-19, 17:28

+1 on BCM as well. I wouldn't hesitate on using DD or any other decent brand bolt, but what I've heard from the Criterion barrels is that BCM bolts are the most consistent on the market. Do I have a proof to that? No, but I have little reason to doubt them.

everready73
12-26-19, 18:38
Thanks for the DD bolt headsup. Even $66 isn’t too shabby for a “name brand”, and Brownells always has some discount code going on. I figure that beats Shark’s FN bolts for $70.

You can get SOLGW books for under $70 as well. Microbest oem. Another quality source to look at.

Primary and carries both Sionics and SOLGW bcg's and had them on sale under $120 frequently which is what I have been buying. They don't sell just the bolts

lysander
12-26-19, 20:02
Where is the best place to grab mil-spec bolts?
The Defense Logistics Agency

opngrnd
12-26-19, 20:08
The Defense Logistics Agency

I see what you did there.

sjc3081
12-26-19, 21:25
I thought Toolcraft made everybody's bolts. Different grades for each contract.

jackblack73
12-26-19, 22:51
I thought Toolcraft made everybody's bolts. Different grades for each contract.

Pretty sure Toolcraft doesn't make anybody's bolts. They make carriers only.

lordmorgul
12-26-19, 23:48

Correct. https://www.toolcraftinc.com/about-us/

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

26 Inf
12-27-19, 01:56

How many of the brand names being bandied about actually make their own bolts. I ask this in all seriousness, because I don't know.

Toolcraft doesn't make their bolts but they do provide a lifetime guarantee on them. I wait until their C-158 BCG's are on sale and buy several at a time, generally from wcarmory in the $75.00 dollar range. Why pay more?

https://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-223-5-56-bcg-black-nitride-1b1b6-carrier-with-c158-mpi-bolt.htm

As long as they have been shot peened and MPI'ed, I'm happy. I don't NEED a HPT round fired to make me happy, although if it is high pressure tested I won't squawk.

Victory
12-27-19, 19:31

Good luck finding them in stock.

bobbytucson
12-27-19, 19:39
i have 5 daniel defense rifles, and none of them are marked. i really dont trust them. sometimes faith isnt enough. i need to see proof markings. i say go sionics & bcm or go home

Uni-Vibe
12-27-19, 20:12
Is Colt still selling parts in the civilian market?

ABNAK
12-27-19, 20:58
i have 5 daniel defense rifles, and none of them are marked. i really dont trust them. sometimes faith isnt enough. i need to see proof markings. i say go sionics & bcm or go home

I have two DD chromed BCG's which I bought directly from DD and of course have no markings. I trust that those are indeed DD products.

Your rifles? I suspect you may be being snarky so I won't comment. :rolleyes:

BTW, bolts are available from DD themselves for $71. Like, from the manufacturer and all.

everready73
12-28-19, 11:36
Is Colt still selling parts in the civilian market?

Yes. I have ordered some stuff from Brownells recently. It was out of stock when ordered but shipped pretty quickly

JoshNC
12-28-19, 17:42
LMT and Colt are my go to. I’m intrigued by the Geissele forged bolts, but don’t have any.

opngrnd
12-28-19, 17:54
FWIW, I grabbed a spare Sionics BCG on sale at PA. In theory, since I'm due to almost meet the minimum threshold for bolt life yearly, I think I'll just add a bolt to the cart every time I grab something from Sionics, PA, etc. Again, it is a year of mostly just grabbing consumables for me.

me2hootyhoo
12-28-19, 18:38
As far as I can tell, DD and Sionics run the same microbest bcg’s. Just DD charges a lot more. Also, SOL and centurion appear to run microbest as well. Can’t go wrong with any of em.

Buncheong
12-29-19, 00:59
FWIW, I grabbed a spare Sionics BCG on sale at PA. In theory, since I'm due to almost meet the minimum threshold for bolt life yearly, I think I'll just add a bolt to the cart every time I grab something from Sionics, PA, etc. Again, it is a year of mostly just grabbing consumables for me.

How long does a bolt last? When should a bolt be replaced?

opngrnd
12-29-19, 05:34
How long does a bolt last? When should a bolt be replaced?

The general consensus seems to be 5,000 rounds is your optimal minimum, and that while you may get significantly more life than that, past 5000 is borrowed time. There seem to be factors that extend bolt life significantly, such as ammo choice and gas system.

As far as how often to replace, I know of at least one SME who would simply replace his bolt at 5000 rounds, but for non go-to/non-duty guns, I'll see how long I can get out of the bolt a time or two. Not including training or duty events (issued equipment being used) I've fired 5,712 rounds this year across several rifles. This is typical. Not factored in is new bolts any time you rebarrel, so logically I'll see a handful of bolts gone in the next few years.

LewWallace
12-29-19, 05:37

Sir, what is the minimum threshold for bolt life? I've tried always to have "consumable" spare parts on hand too, has always seemed like a wise idea, thanks for sharing on this point.

opngrnd
12-29-19, 08:02
Sir, what is the minimum threshold for bolt life? I've tried always to have "consumable" spare parts on hand too, has always seemed like a wise idea, thanks for sharing on this point.

See the post above yours. But in general, past 5,000 rounds on a bolt is considered borrowed time.

lysander
12-29-19, 12:52
See the post above yours. But in general, past 5,000 rounds on a bolt is considered borrowed time.

The Army's bolt consumption shows a much higher figure. For the average deployed infantry carbine the bolt life is around 12,000 to 15,000 rounds.

That 5,000 number is from a Crane report nobody around hear has actually read, and for a "harsh firing schedule" that remains undefined. The 2015 "Re-Baseline Reliability Test 5.56mm Weapons Using M855A1" study showed that typical M4 bolt remain serviceable far longer than 5,000 rounds.

If you replace your bolt when you replace your barrel, you will probably never see a bolt failure.

Oh, and by the way, every endurance test report of M16/M4 I have ever seen (about 15 of them) all run a standard 6,000 round acceptance test for the M16 or M4. (Every lot of new production rifles/carbines has to have a certain number of weapons pass this endurance test). None of them report a catastrophic bolt failure.

Buncheong
12-29-19, 13:34
The general consensus seems to be 5,000 rounds is your optimal minimum, and that while you may get significantly more life than that, past 5000 is borrowed time. There seem to be factors that extend bolt life significantly, such as ammo choice and gas system.

As far as how often to replace, I know of at least one SME who would simply replace his bolt at 5000 rounds, but for non go-to/non-duty guns, I'll see how long I can get out of the bolt a time or two. Not including training or duty events (issued equipment being used) I've fired 5,712 rounds this year across several rifles. This is typical. Not factored in is new bolts any time you rebarrel, so logically I'll see a handful of bolts gone in the next few years.

Thanks for the detailed (and very helpful) info, I sure appreciate it!

Buncheong
12-29-19, 13:35
The Army's bolt consumption shows a much higher figure. For the average deployed infantry carbine the bolt life is around 12,000 to 15,000 rounds.

That 5,000 number is from a Crane report nobody around hear has actually read, and for a "harsh firing schedule" that remains undefined. The 2015 "Re-Baseline Reliability Test 5.56mm Weapons Using M855A1" study showed that typical M4 bolt remain serviceable far longer than 5,000 rounds.

If you replace your bolt when you replace your barrel, you will probably never see a bolt failure.

Oh, and by the way, every endurance test report of M16/M4 I have ever seen (about 15 of them) all run a standard 6,000 round acceptance test for the M16 or M4. (Every lot of new production rifles/carbines has to have a certain number of weapons pass this endurance test). None of them report a catastrophic bolt failure.

Thanks for this as well, the info is gratefully appreciated.

opngrnd
12-29-19, 13:40

Thank you. I certainly defer to you.

Mrgunsngear
12-29-19, 20:20

AO Precision full BCGs are $69 here (http://bit.ly/35AOPrecision) and they've been used by several military contracted companies.

opngrnd
12-29-19, 20:41
AO Precision full BCGs are $69 here (http://bit.ly/35AOPrecision) and they've been used by several military contracted companies.

Thank you. I enjoy your reviews, btw.

czgunner
02-01-20, 21:22

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed a few for spares.