PDA

View Full Version : Can We Get A Movie/TV Discussion Forum.

Nightvisionary
12-27-19, 17:01
I know this is GD but over 25% of the threads on GD page 1 are TV/Movie discussion. Have we become Rotten Tomatoes?

just a scout
12-27-19, 17:53
Second!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Firefly
12-27-19, 18:11
No. Its too Arfcommish. GD serves the function. We talk about some lameass movie or an old 80s movie for a few days then we get over it.

If we are going to do a new forum, I’d rather we had a legit commo board. We have some super knowledgeable people who have been begging for one.

I mean when natural disaster occurs or civil unrest happens; it’d be better to be up on off grid comms than to discuss a movie.

Besides we all more or less watch the same movies but how many of us could communicate with other people when our cellphone and internet privileges are revoked?

Wake27
12-27-19, 18:59
No. Its too Arfcommish. GD serves the function. We talk about some lameass movie or an old 80s movie for a few days then we get over it.

If we are going to do a new forum, I’d rather we had a legit commo board. We have some super knowledgeable people who have been begging for one.

I mean when natural disaster occurs or civil unrest happens; it’d be better to be up on off grid comms than to discuss a movie.

Besides we all more or less watch the same movies but how many of us could communicate with other people when our cellphone and internet privileges are revoked?

Agreed. We can just do one consolidated thread for all movie stuff. Comms would be solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a scout
12-27-19, 19:30

Second that too for the commo board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SteyrAUG
12-28-19, 00:15

Agreed. If we removed film/tv discussion from GD we'd be left with some seriously lame topics. If we were all sitting in our favorite bbq or pizza joint, this is the crap we'd talk about. If you want "serious discussion" it should be in the serious forums, and even there we still have to listen to "AK is the ultimate end of the world" nonsense.

titsonritz
12-28-19, 00:32
**** that, this is what GD is for. If you want more "interesting" content than post up.

Nightvisionary
12-30-19, 18:07
Agreed. If we removed film/tv discussion from GD we'd be left with some seriously lame topics. If we were all sitting in our favorite bbq or pizza joint, this is the crap we'd talk about. If you want "serious discussion" it should be in the serious forums, and even there we still have to listen to "AK is the ultimate end of the world" nonsense.

Spending mental resources on the latest Hollywood product is to me the definition of lame but I have never been much for distractions, bread, or circuses.

SteyrAUG
12-30-19, 22:44
Spending mental resources on the latest Hollywood product is to me the definition of lame but I have never been much for distractions, bread, or circuses.

Lots of stuff I don't click on. I know nothing new with the words "Star Wars" is meant for me. But we do sometimes talk about older movies of substance. Talking tv and film has led me to probably a dozen titles I'd have never known about otherwise which were pretty good and usually something older that I just never knew about.

ST911
12-30-19, 23:05
I wrote this awhile back, but it's become the default response for additional sub-forum requests like above. This doesn't mean they can't/won't be considered, just that they aren't usually warranted. Keeping all GD-related content in GD also helps out members who want to ignore it.

Change the RKBA/2A verbiage to the topic of your choice.

Not the only voice nor the last one, but some food for thought:

Additional sub-forums are proposed from time to time. When crunching the numbers that are both open to all and behind the curtain, those numbers usually don't support the stated need/desire for the new one. How members read M4C also guides what forums are useful. Anyone reading via the "what's new" button gets all content posted since last visit or last refresh. Members who browse by sub-forum would benefit, but how many they are and what they're reading is harder to capture.

Of note, most members don't read most threads. For example, this one has only been read by only 28 registered members since posted. Many believe that a topic that isn't active or being read isn't being seen. More often, it's just doesn't have as much interest. From a content-management perspective, how does one determine if something is a 2A/RKBA topic, or just another current event? If someone is doing something legislatively with suppressors or SBRs, is it an NFA thread, a GD topic, or 2A/RKBA?

Here's an idea: When starting a new thread, lead the subject line with something like "2A” or “RKBA” or something like that. I.e. “2A: 99th Circuit Rules 40w Phasers are Not Firearms". If you've started a thread previously on a 2A or RKBA topic, go back and retitle it thusly so it can be found. We could monitor and assess the content a little more easily that way.

Some of our comms content is outstanding, and building on it would be great. I still don't think there is enough of it to warrant it's own forum, however.