PDA

View Full Version : if Geissele for 2-stage triggers, then WHICH for single-stage?

Solomon
11-18-08, 11:26
And do the answers change for match v. combat triggers? Are any of the aftermarket triggers mil-spec?

jp0319
11-18-08, 14:26
I am not an "expert" but I know Timney makes a single stage AR Trigger. I have been happy with Timney triggers in other rifles in the past.

shadowalker
11-18-08, 15:00
I'm also interested in this. I have a JP Trigger in LR-308 and am building a couple of AR-15's currently.

Right now I'm sticking with the standard trigger but in the future might be interested in a more refined trigger.

I'd be looking for a reliable single stage trigger that would survive carbine classes. How much is given up by using JP's lighter springs?

taliv
11-18-08, 15:23
for matches, JP's single stage trigger (factory installed, not drop in) can't be beat. it's actually quite a bit better than my 1/2-stage geissele

lanceriley
11-18-08, 17:27
how bout LMT single stage? any good?

BAC
11-18-08, 17:29
I know a couple folks who love their Chip McCormicks.

-B

lanceriley
11-18-08, 18:13
I was thinking of mccormick next. but they have this little creep?

Sabre675
11-18-08, 20:10
I like my Timney 3lb single stage "very, very much". Reset and trigger travel are almost non-existent. I also have a Geissele SSF the Timney is a sweeter feeling trigger. I however would rather have another Geissele in a working gun. If I were to have a competition rifle or possibly an SPR the Timney is the way.

Sidewinder6
11-19-08, 13:33
for matches, JP's single stage trigger (factory installed, not drop in) can't be beat. it's actually quite a bit better than my 1/2-stage geissele

I was thinking about this as an upgrade to my Noveske N4. The original trigger is crisp but the pull is a bit more than what I care for.

taliv
11-19-08, 13:46
just my humble opinion, but light triggers do not belong on anything you might use for 3gun/tactical matches, duty, etc. where you're running into barricades and diving into prone, etc.

even in static competition like CMP/NRA HP, the minimum weight is 4.5 lbs and dang near everybody could hold the 6" x-ring at 600 yrds if they could read the wind and focus on the front sight. a 4.5lb trigger just isn't a handicap.

I honestly do not know why anyone outside of benchrest competition would want a <3lb trigger.

(edit: of course, if you're saying your noveske trigger is like 9 lbs or something, then that might be a good deal for you)

decodeddiesel
11-19-08, 13:59
how bout LMT single stage? any good?

It won't be as nice as some of the high dollar triggers, but I would bet my life (literally) that it will NEVER break or fail.

lanceriley
11-19-08, 18:16
so can we consider the LMT as a good single stage trigger? for tactical matches.?

sholling
11-19-08, 19:16
I know a couple folks who love their Chip McCormicks.

-BMcCormick have been pulled off the market. They had too many doubling incidents and are working on a redesign. The ETA is late next month at best.

SingleStacker45
11-19-08, 20:15
just my humble opinion, but light triggers do not belong on anything you might use for 3gun/tactical matches, duty, etc. where you're running into barricades and diving into prone, etc.

even in static competition like CMP/NRA HP, the minimum weight is 4.5 lbs and dang near everybody could hold the 6" x-ring at 600 yrds if they could read the wind and focus on the front sight. a 4.5lb trigger just isn't a handicap.

I honestly do not know why anyone outside of benchrest competition would want a <3lb trigger.

(edit: of course, if you're saying your noveske trigger is like 9 lbs or something, then that might be a good deal for you)

I tend to agree with you on this. If you can't shoot well with a 4lb trigger work on your fundementals. I don't think you need such things for practical shooting. That being said I tend to lighten all my factory triggers to arround four pounds on pistols etc. I use the wolf springs in my glock and the JP springs in my M&P. I would like to reduce some of the creep in my AR though.

Mule

Sidewinder6
11-19-08, 21:12

In my case, I'd love to have something under 5lbs. I think out of the box, Im about 6 or 7 but since we are chatting, I will run the gauge to be sure.

Sidewinder6
11-19-08, 21:14
McCormick have been pulled off the market. They had too many doubling incidents and are working on a redesign. The ETA is late next month at best.

Funny, I noticed the web site is scaled back on some of their other products as well. Might be something else other than design. (?) They seem to be focused on mags.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-19-08, 21:15
To me, the weight (within reason) is not as important as the ammount of creep and how long the reset is.

I wonder what is the best creep/reset trigger that doesn't have screws to wear out?

Alaskapopo
11-19-08, 21:26

I respectfully disagree with your logic. If your finger is not on the trigger it does not matter if you are diving for cove or bumping into barricades. I prefer my AR triggers to be at 3.5 to 4 pounds for Duty and at 2.5 for Three gun and for precision rifles. The lighter the trigger the easier it is to shoot well especially on longer targets that only present themselves for a short time like movers.
Pat

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-19-08, 21:33
To me, the weight (within reason) is not as important as the amount of creep and how long the reset is.

I wonder what is the best creep/reset trigger that doesn't have screws to wear out?

Bachelorjack
11-19-08, 22:23
I tried 5 triggers from Timney. I believe I was the first person in the country to receive a solid trigger from them. All had issues with doubling. The only difference was if they had them immediately or a few hundred rounds down the road. Pull weight ranged from 3-4.5lbs. I gave up. Timney are in a lot of rifles I own.

I really wasn't impressed with the LMT triggers. Neither the single stage nor the 2 stage.

I'm running accuracy speaks single stage triggers now. They have to installed and require tuning. Nothing hard, just takes some concentration and some trial and error. They have seen a few thousand rounds each and are going strong. No problems.

I've run them on shorties and long guns. Suppressed and unsuppressed. So far that is what I would suggest.

taliv
11-19-08, 22:42
I respectfully disagree with your logic. If your finger is not on the trigger it does not matter if you are diving for cove or bumping into barricades. I prefer my AR triggers to be at 3.5 to 4 pounds for Duty and at 2.5 for Three gun and for precision rifles. The lighter the trigger the easier it is to shoot well especially on longer targets that only present themselves for a short time like movers.
Pat

np Pat, I won't quibble over a pound and i certainly keep my appendages away from the trigger while i'm scooting, but stuff happens. like everything, it's a compromise.

again, just my opinion, which is based on my experiences and I haven't shot movers at long range. all the movers around here are shot at pistol-distances (under 30 yrds for sure). I might reevaluate if I were missing long-distance movers :) I need to go shoot some matches out west

lanceriley
11-20-08, 04:17
so what's an affordable single stage without breaking the bank? 4lbs seems to be just right

Alaskapopo
11-20-08, 05:07
np Pat, I won't quibble over a pound and i certainly keep my appendages away from the trigger while i'm scooting, but stuff happens. like everything, it's a compromise.

again, just my opinion, which is based on my experiences and I haven't shot movers at long range. all the movers around here are shot at pistol-distances (under 30 yrds for sure). I might reevaluate if I were missing long-distance movers :) I need to go shoot some matches out west

The best three gun match in my state always has a mover triggered by a popper at about 100 to 150 yards depending on the stage set up. Its a challenging target. I prefer triggers that help me to shoot better. I use the safety between my ears to keep me from putting a round down range when I don't intend to .
Pat