PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat Custom Rifles

Paladin_139
11-18-08, 11:32
How do they stack up against the rest of the brands? Of course they make great 1911's and I've read the specs on thier website. They appear to be priced similar to a higher end rifle like a Noveske but are they built as well or better? I'm thinking of picking up a quality AR type rifle in the future to replace the old Bushmaster, and was more or less browsing around.

And to answer the usual first question; I'll be using it as a police patrol rifle for work. It'll spend most of it's time in the trunk but will have a light etc on it to be used generally for building searches and the like. The main thing is that it works every time no matter what. Thanks for you input in advance. :cool:

Parabellum9x19mm
11-18-08, 11:55
They appear to be priced similar to a higher end rifle like a Noveske but are they built as well or better?

no. they're just overpriced.

Iraqgunz
11-18-08, 12:04
There was a thread here previously concerning Wilson AR's. Unfortunately, it was deleted. Bottom line was they are over priced and not worth their asking price. I would go for the Noveske. I have one and it is worth every penny.

Ziptie
11-18-08, 12:04
Overpriced. That was my thought as well. It seems the asking price for their pistols says a lot about the prestige of the name, and although I have no doubt that they have spent a lot of money in developing their line of firearms, and need to recuperate those investments, I think what may have happened is that they were so well received that they continued to ride the rails of the market. I don't think there are too many innovations that they added to the AR platform that they could really claim are groundbreaking, all the research was already done for them, I think they just wanted something else to put their name on that would widen their sales base and didn't want to go the lunchbox route.

Littlelebowski
11-18-08, 12:34
There's a great thread on this, search a bit. They're not worth the money.

Paladin4415
11-18-08, 13:44
For patrol use, get a Colt 6920 or one of the Noveske N4 light series rifles.

Dogface
11-18-08, 17:49
Nice to see a thread filled with facts/comparisons.
No doubt after reading this that the Wilson is over-priced.

Adam
11-19-08, 01:45
There baseline model(M4-tp) cost $1575.00. It's listed as having a 1/9 twist. The rail, which looks similar to a YHM adds 185.00 dollars to the cost of the gun. Doesn't seem like that great of a offering.

Avenger29
11-19-08, 07:50
I'm willing to bet their ARs are a deal similar to their shotguns...

Their 870s are just 870 Express shotguns with a bunch of parts bolted on. I or you could easily do most of what they do for a shotgun by swapping parts...but for far less than the $$$$ they charge for a shotgun...

Oscar 319
11-19-08, 12:30
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14325

C4IGrant
11-19-08, 12:30
Pass on them. Over priced.

C4

bkb0000
11-19-08, 12:38
i wonder if Wilson ever sees these threads about his guns? and if he cares?

Dave L.
11-19-08, 12:41
i wonder if Wilson ever sees these threads about his guns? and if he cares?

He doesn't care, he advertises and markets is products to people that believe everything the read in gun magazines.

Army Chief
11-19-08, 15:32
A lot of these same pricing complaints used to come up about Wilson's 1911 line too, though the part that people were so often overlooking is that Wilson's customer service actually makes their pistols a solid long-term investment. Given the nature of the 1911, that makes good sense, but the AR isn't -- or shouldn't be -- nearly so temperamental.

If operator-level maintenance and upkeep is sufficient for most hard-use carbine applications, then we're left wondering why one of their ARs should command such a lofty price. We've examined the components and configurations before, and largely come to the conclusion that Wilson's is asking a premium for some largely unnecessary peace of mind -- unless, of course, you're purely a recreational shooter that has little desire to do even the most basic work on your rifle.

I like Wilson's products, and have owned (and still recommend) several WC 1911s, but my preferences in a battle rifle/carbine don't really run toward the gun club boutique end of things. Dollar for dollar, when you're talking about a $2k class AR, I'm not sure that anyone in this business can stand up to John Noveske.

Chief