PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with handguard and gas block upgrade(s)

UTShooter71
12-30-19, 11:18
Hello,

I have an AR-15 in .223/5.56. It has a flat top upper and I would like to free float the handguard(s) using one that has a full length rail on top so that the upper flows into the handguard (for the later attachment of MBUIS). Here are my questions then:

1 - I have a quad rail gas block. Should this work with the handguard in question?
2 - The barrel is custom (1.5 - 1.75" in diameter [I will measure it]) but a stock barrel nut works with it and it necks down to .75" for the gas block to fit, will this cause any issues with selecting a handguard?
3 - Based on the above and the fact that I am on a budget (but willing to pay for quality) are there any suggestions in what to purchase; this is for A2/Rifle length handguards?

Thank you,
As a side note I have been "building" this particular rifle for about 15 years now.

JediGuy
12-30-19, 14:11
Any chance you could provide a picture of the gas block?

What is the purpose of the rifle, and how much do you use it?

A quick and easy, and fairly inexpensive, option is ALG Defense EMR V3. If you only need the rail for backup sights, I would suggest the EMR V2, which would save you some weight. They have regular sales, as well. www.algdefense.com

Another option could be Troy SOCC M-LOK handguard. That’s very light, and they have been available for <$150 on sale a couple places.

26 Inf
12-30-19, 17:08
A quick and easy, and fairly inexpensive, option is ALG Defense EMR V3. If you only need the rail for backup sights, I would suggest the EMR V2, which would save you some weight. They have regular sales, as well. www.algdefense.com

The V2 rails are 1.46 ID, the V3 rails don't have a detailed schematic on their page, but I would ass-u-me that the ID is the same.

Another option could be Troy SOCC M-LOK handguard. That’s very light, and they have been available for <$150 on sale a couple places.

This may be a workable option as they use a regular barrel nut.

UTShooter71
12-31-19, 00:12
Gas block is 1 3/4" H x 1 1/2" W. The rifle is primarily for precision shooting, those times when I want to go 300-600 meters but at the same time can be used (pressed into service) by having 45° off-set MBUIS and a light. It gets to the range or outdoors 5-6 times a year.6016260163

titsonritz
12-31-19, 01:29
That gas block looks a lot like one of these cheap aluminum things...

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sniper-low-profile-quad-rail-gas-block?a=1104833
https://team15tactical.com/products/mlqgb

Put a magnet on it, if it aluminum you'll get nothing, if that is the case, my advice it to ditch it.

JediGuy
12-31-19, 06:43
To put a free float handguard on, you should replace that gas block.

However, if this is a rifle length gas system, you do have options. You could purchase a 12” or 12.5” handguard. You would remove that gas block (and possibly the barrel nut), slide the handguard on and secure, then replace your gas block in its previous position. There are only two benefits to this: 1) you might use a handguard like the Troy Battlerail line that secures to the GI barrel nut; this would save on a tool or two if you don’t already have, and 2) you could reuse your existing gas block that has a 1913 rail on top at (I assume) the proper height for a front sight.

The negatives involve limited handguard choice and retaining what is likely a poor quality gas block.

JediGuy
12-31-19, 08:07
I would do a disservice without mentioning the obvious solution that would require zero wrenching but cutting away the delta ring. Light, possibly cheaper at some vendors or on sale.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-22m.htm

Clint
12-31-19, 12:16
Our MicroPin Gas Block would work well for this.

https://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-MicroPin-Gas-Block-750/p/17534540/category=6464008

UTShooter71
12-31-19, 13:13
Hola,

I have had this gas block on this rifle since the beginning so I know it works and would like to keep on using it. My lack of knowledge comes from knowing if I should get a 12" or 12.5" free float handguard. Changing out the barrel nut is not a problem, though I am out of anti-seize lube. Will 12.5" be too long due to the size of the gas block or will 12" be too short and leave a portion of the gas tube exposed? To make things easier I am going to go with a set-up that does not require indexing the barrel nut for the gas tube.

Very Respectfully

titsonritz
12-31-19, 13:26
The negatives involve limited handguard choice and retaining what is likely a poor quality gas block.

IG went into why one should not use sub-standard gas blocks here...

https://primaryandsecondary.com/understanding-the-ar-15-gas-system/

JediGuy
12-31-19, 14:11
Honestly, if you don’t want to change the gas block and only use very infrequently, 12 or 12.5 shouldn’t matter. A little exposed gas tube isn’t the end of the world. I personally like the Troy SOCC. Would use your existing barrel nut and not require timing. Shameless plug, because I have one for sale in the EE.
But setting that aside, you really should consider changing the gas block. They can be had for fairly cheap like from Aero Precision or from BRT (as Clint notes). And then you could pick whatever handguard you want, including options that (as I consider ideal) would completely cover your gas block.

GH41
12-31-19, 19:16
Honestly, if you don’t want to change the gas block and only use very infrequently, 12 or 12.5 shouldn’t matter. A little exposed gas tube isn’t the end of the world. I personally like the Troy SOCC. Would use your existing barrel nut and not require timing. Shameless plug, because I have one for sale in the EE.
But setting that aside, you really should consider changing the gas block. They can be had for fairly cheap like from Aero Precision or from BRT (as Clint notes). And then you could pick whatever handguard you want, including options that (as I consider ideal) would completely cover your gas block.

This thread is sad. An OP that doesn't know what he has or what he wants but only that the solution will be cheap. Maybe IG could rise from the ashes and close this BS thread!

JediGuy
12-31-19, 19:43
I’m inclined to agree with you.

Sry0fcr
01-02-20, 10:20
Hola,

I have had this gas block on this rifle since the beginning so I know it works and would like to keep on using it. My lack of knowledge comes from knowing if I should get a 12" or 12.5" free float handguard. Changing out the barrel nut is not a problem, though I am out of anti-seize lube. Will 12.5" be too long due to the size of the gas block or will 12" be too short and leave a portion of the gas tube exposed? To make things easier I am going to go with a set-up that does not require indexing the barrel nut for the gas tube.

Very Respectfully

You're going to have to take some measurements and get contact some manufacturers. The issue that you'll run into is that a "12 inch" FF tube may only nominally be 12" since many on the market are not made specifically to fit a rifle length gas system and butt up against a gas block or FSB these days.

Personally, I'd get a small/micro gas block and a 13" tube that uses the stock barrel nut.

Straight Shooter
01-02-20, 11:48
I didnt even know what a "quad rail gas block" was until I saw the pics. Man Id lose that in a heartbeat. What the heck would be mounted on the gas block?
That looks Fuddish bro, listen to these dudes here, THEY KNOW.

vicious_cb
01-02-20, 11:52
Dump that monstrosity, get a low profile gas block and a decent FF handguard.

UTShooter71
01-02-20, 11:56
Hello,

Just a remark here: Not going to be cheap. I have only said that the gas block I have has worked for the last 15 years. It has a proven consistency. For the other portion of this. I have never free-floated a barrel before and do not want to waste time having to send something back if it is either too short or too long. Cost isn't a major issue but it doesn't mean I am going to jump into anything without research.

UTShooter71
01-02-20, 11:58
This is what I am leaning toward. And a 15" handguard as the barrel is 20", which seems to look better.

UTShooter71
01-02-20, 11:58
Dump that monstrosity, get a low profile gas block and a decent FF handguard.

This is what I am leaning toward and going with a longer handguard.

JediGuy
01-02-20, 14:45
ALGdefense.com is going to have 15% off tomorrow through Sunday. You can nab an EMR V3 and gas block for, if my math is right, $173. Not too bad. If you didn’t care about having backup irons and the full rail, you could grab a 15” EMR V0-E for $40.

UTShooter71
01-07-20, 15:40
Okay, so I ordered a free float handguard. Now I have a new issue. Taking off the old gas block and barrel was... interesting. It turns out the barrel is 1" (or just over) in diameter except where it necks down for the .75" gas block. While disassembling the upper I had to pause. I did not put this barrel on the upper originally and found some custom work; this was not like the barrels I worked on in CATM (Air Force).

There was a sleeve on it. This sleeve is is welded to the barrel nut at one end and a A2 triangular handguard cap at the other. The sleeve even encapsulates the delta ring. Not a big deal, everything came off simply enough but the new barrel nut will not fit the 1" barrel. The barrel nut is thicker near the center and is just narrow enough that I cannot slip it over the body of the barrel. Does anyone know if there is a way to hone this out or will I need to find a different free float handguard if I cannot find a more accommodating barrel nut?