PDA

View Full Version : How many guns do you train with?

Ron3
12-30-19, 12:05
We're all limited by time and money.

I doubt many own 10 rifles, 10 shotguns, and 10 pistols and keep up a high proficiency with all of them.

So how many guns do you keep up your training and proficiency with?

What is a reasonable number a person who works can keep up with?

Obviously the more alike the guns are the better.

I have to admit I neglect rifle practice and focus on pistols.

I really just focus on my carry guns:

Beretta Cheetah, Ruger LCR, and Beretta Jetfire.

The Glock 19 makes it out occasionally but I don't enjoy shooting it.

What guns do you spend most of your training and practice on?

glocktogo
12-30-19, 12:23

I doubt many own 10 rifles, 10 shotguns, and 10 pistols and keep up a high proficiency with all of them.

For me, three pistols and a rifle.

The pistols are a Shield, Walther PPQ and G-19 with X-300. These are the only three I carry anymore and while different, all three share striker fired triggers and no external safeties. I have enough rounds downrange that I don't have to hunt for front sight index on target on the draw. My hands and eyes seem to know how and where to go regardless of grip angle and bore height.

The only rifle I train with is my pinned 14.5" Noveske/BCM AR. It's my go-to for any defensive rifle use, regardless of situation.

Evel Baldgui
12-30-19, 12:42
G19 & G34 and basic DD AR with aimpoint. Simple.

William B.
12-30-19, 12:49
Glock 19's and AR15's. Although I plan to have some fun in the near future switching my long gun focus from AR's to the Ruger PCC that my wife bought me 7 months ago.

Pappabear
12-30-19, 12:55
too many, no doubt

PB

William B.
12-30-19, 12:57

I've come to find that the marksmanship skills you develop as a pistol shooter transfer well to long guns and that the opposite is not necessarily true. Does that hold true in your experience?

Alpha-17
12-30-19, 13:47
While I try to shoot most of mine pretty regularly, for "training" purposes, I tend to stick to the ones that would see the most use if push came to shove. For rifles, that's the SCARs and my DD Mk 18 pistol, and for pistols, it's the FNX 45 and Springfield 1911. The plus side of training with 5 different weapons is that the manual of arms and handling characteristics are relatively similar across the rifles, and the same goes for the pistols. The SCARs are of course very similar, with only the optic and caliber being different, and are similar enough to the AR platform to make transitioning to/from it relatively simple. For the pistols, both use Trijicon night sights, are carried safety on, and are the same caliber, so are handled in a very similar fashion.

Ron3
12-30-19, 13:54
I've come to find that the marksmanship skills you develop as a pistol shooter transfer well to long guns and that the opposite is not necessarily true. Does that hold true in your experience?

Well, shooting small pistols makes shooting bigger pistols seem easier / more accurate.

I think that extends to rifles, too.

However, I dont ask much of myself when firing a rifle, really.

For hunting, if I can shoot a five shot group under 6 inches at 200 M from a scoped rifle with a rest that's fine. That's the furthest I can see myself ever firing at a wild hog. More realistic range is 25-125 yds.

For self-defense with a rifle, it's more like 2-50 M with an RDS.

So, I prefer to focus on tactics, safety, and pistol work instead of rifle things.

I do a little weapon manipulation practice / dry fire with the rifle, shoot to confirm zero and reliability occasionally, and that's really it. I've had a couple rifle courses but I really prefer to spend time on pistols.

Put it this way, I have several times as much .25 and .32 as 5.56 ammo. 🤠

I'm in a lonely club of "people who have fired cases of both .25 acp and .32 acp". 😁

Wake27
12-30-19, 14:41
Glocks and ARs. The ARs are all almost identical in controls and accessories aside from optics so training with one is similar to any of them. That’s the goal for the Glocks too, but they aren’t quite there yet. Either way, my carry gun gets shot far more than any other and it’ll stay that way until I have an identical one built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chameleox
12-30-19, 15:52
Mostly my G19 and my 642; my duty/carry guns.

My AR doesn’t get as much use anymore. I shoot enough to maintain my skill level and stay sharp, but I’m not burning down targets like when I was in patrol or on SWAT. I’m stuck behind a desk now.

In my off time this fall, I’ve been shooting my new (to me) 336 and my bow, and I’m looking forward to making a big pile of .22 brass this year.

titsonritz
12-30-19, 21:19
too many, no doubt

PB

I, too, go the with department of the redundancy department philosophy.

gaijin
12-31-19, 03:20
AR's, 1911/2011's and CZ P10's with regularity.
Precision long gun is much more "iffy"/infrequent, due to proximity of range (ranch) being so far out.

Our "close" or home range (20 min. from home) has dufus rules re. the rifle range- thus "run and gun"/drills en masse are difficult.
The AR9/PCC platform is allowed on the "fun" range where move and shoot/drills, are permissible.
We get in a lot of 2-gun time with carry guns and AR9.

And like most here I assume, my guns are set up so similar that transition from pistol, or carbine, "A" to "B" is seamless.

Arik
12-31-19, 08:30
Anything that I carry. G17, 19, 43X and LCP 380.

It's really hard to train with rifles around here. You are limited to either a 25 yard indoor range where you just stand in a both and shoot or a longer outdoor range where you forced to shoot off a bench.

Only one indoor range allows to shoot from holster and the owner is the soup nazi. People get banned and kicked out for the most stupid things and he has no problems sending employees or going himself to confront customers

echo5whiskey
12-31-19, 08:37
Outside of "collector's" pieces, I only own one pistol and one AR. I try to shoot my PPQ fairly regularly--at least one every few months, and my AR (frankenbuild) whenever I can--which is usually a little less frequently. I get a fair amount of practice with my duty guns: M&P 9, Colt AR, and Colt 9mm SMG; but that's pretty much tied to when I can do so at work.

MegademiC
12-31-19, 09:37
Four:
G19s
Mp shield
Ar15s
M11/9

markm
12-31-19, 10:41
I shoot my pistol once per year for qualification. (G22) ARs run year round. Bird guns aren't used for anything that is critical.

vicious_cb
12-31-19, 10:51

This is generally true, pistol shooting supports rifle shooting. Not the other way around.

fallenangelhim
12-31-19, 11:55
2 pistols > one I carry, one for home
1 rifle > for either or

everything else is a toy but I also tend to buy multiples of the same format at least

GTF425
12-31-19, 12:19
Glock 19; it’s my EDC, nightstand, and competition pistol. I standardized on Gen 5s with the factory Ameriglos.

My range time with ARs is limited and just for the enjoyment of shooting a rifle. I try to focus my efforts on pistol shooting, as I am more likely to use my carry gun than anything else.

Any other range time is usually with friends and family and is not training, but enjoyment of shooting.

01-01-20, 20:14
Three, essentially.
G43
G19
AR

I don’t train with the 43 as much as I should, but to be fair I almost always carry a G19 instead. I have a few different configurations with the G19 and AR, but I shoot them a good bit for both work, and relaxation. They are set up as close to possible to each other, excepting the one or two variables that “justify” their existence. For example my G19s have different sights, and one of them has a chopped grip, but they all wear the same backstraps, and have stock triggers and controls. My ARs differ mainly in barrel and handguard length, trigger and optic. Same sling, flashlight, grip, rail covers, selector, stock, etc on most. But I typically only shoot one, and occasionally cheat on it with another AR that has a specific purpose, like my recce, or a SBR/pistol, or an iron sight training gun. I do keep my mind open and sometimes try something different, like an A1 stock or new grip. If its what I want to stay with, I standardize.

I also shoot bone-stock M4s and M16s a few times a year, but its just enough to qual with and train others on. Nothing extensive, about 1% of my annual rifle round expenditure. When Soldiers or co-workers ask me what they should buy, I always steer them toward a near-clone of what they are issued, which is also what I have done, mostly. My most-shot AR and G19 are also personally-owned duty weapons.

I have several other guns that I don’t really “train” with, but occasionally shoot, like my lever and bolt guns, AKs, and revolvers. Well, to be honest, I almost never shoot those anymore. I also have several Berettas and Sig that I don’t shoot anymore because I’m back with Glocks (not by choice), and like most redheads or Latinas, they don’t forgive cheating.

When I used to shoot birds, I “trained” with my Benelli M2 anti-aircraft gun on the clays range nearly everyday when stateside and not in the woods or on TDY. Shotgunning is a deep rabbit-hole, and rewards monogamy.

I think that picking one pistol (type) and one rifle (type) and shooting the snot out of them is a better answer for proficiency than gun polygamy.

Glock 19; it’s my EDC, nightstand, and competition pistol. I standardized on Gen 5s
Same, but Gen 4. One has an RMR, two have Ameriglos, and one is a beater with Sharpie’d sights.

Typing this, I’ve remembered that I also have a few Smiths and a 1911. Damn. I might be one of those “gun guys” that Euro and Firefly are always going on about. Ugh.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-19-20, 15:35
Little and big
40X repeater in 22lr and a 308, both in AICS with 5-25 Vortex scopes
M&P15-22 and JP AR- scope mismatch with a red dot and 1-8 scopes
MP 9-22 and a FS 9mm, irons on the 22 and a red dot on the FS
And a 'double 80/20' rule- 80% of my shots are with these six guns and 80% of that work is with the 22s.

Truth be told, when things start to go bang, the recoil, the trigger and the sights all kind of blend into the background of getting hits.

Esq.
01-22-20, 09:36
Many.
Ak's, Ar's, G3's, Fals, M1as, Various precision rifles
Glocks-17,19, 34, 44!, Beretta 92, CZ75, Sig 226, M&P, 1911's....

I shoot drills, shoot competitions, take classes and train with all of those and a few others.

vaglocker
01-23-20, 07:53
Lately lots of revolvers, and DA/SA guns. For me i have found that working with those makes my Glock shooting even better when I decide to pull them out.

robbins290
01-28-20, 14:49
I train with 3 mostly. Glock 17 for duty, Glock 19 for CCW and ar15's. Tho the ar's are about 9 different ones, but they all have the same controls, just different optics and calibers.

rvanno
01-28-20, 15:50
I train with 3 different 1911’s (which are nightstand guns), a CZ P01 (carry gun and glove box), and several AR’s that are all in 5.56. One AR is a truck gun and the other 4 rotate time at the bedside with the 1911.

I’m in the indoor range at least 2x/week. Fortunately, I also have access to an outdoor range that has limited supervision. I can run and gun out there as much as I want, AND it’s only 20 minutes from my house.

Watrdawg
01-29-20, 12:03
I train with a G19 and my AR. I carry the G19 most of the time and my main AR is use as a HD rifle also. Although, I shoot regularly and hunt at least 6 months out of the year so I'm shooting my hunting rifles, shotguns and a single action Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45LC quite a bit.

B Cart
01-29-20, 12:51
These are the ones I actually train with, the others are just for fun/plinking/hunting etc

Pistols
G19 with RMR (main carry)
Sig P365 (deep conceal)

ARs
16" mid length 5.56 with red dot (truck gun)
8" 300 BLK suppressed (HD gun)
16" mid length 5.56 with 1-8 (SHTF/all purpose)

Long range
6 Creedmoor bolt gun (competition)

deputyG23
04-24-20, 09:00
My "training" is 98% handgun and about 1% police pump gun and 1% personally owned Armalite AR. I maintain no long guns in a home defense/private carry mode. My work issues me a Mossberg 500 for duty use. The AR practice I do is for the eventuality of patrol rifles coming to my work that is now on hold due to budgetary issues with the coronovirus panic and subsequent drop in tax revenues coming in. I will probably be retired before the program gets started and even partially implemented.
My issued gun is a G4 G23 and I bought a police trade in G22 for practice since I reload for .40 and the Office is stingy with practice ammo. Also, the issued G23 smacks me in the forehead with brass about once every hundred rounds with our practice ammo. I also shoot my old G17 G2 and carry it off duty on occasion on the belt to supplement the pocket 442 snub mentioned below.
My always off duty gun is a pocket carried 442-2 and I shoot around 100 rounds a year through it incorporating ammo management/reloads at the same time. I usually supplement it with a belt carried Glock or service size .38 sixgun carried IWB.
I am loath to give up my revolvers because learning effective DA shooting, to me, usually translates to better trigger control on most other firearm types.
I could easily get rid of my two subcompact Glocks since they are seldom carried anymore.
My favorite fun gun is a Henry lever .22.
I really should sell or gift to my children a significant portion of the firearms I have on hand and put the cash realized toward something else.

yoni
04-24-20, 09:18
I run 2 pistols the same, ready to shoot with no need to play with a safety. The 3rd pistol is only different when it comes to reloading.

The 2 pistols that are run the same are CGW CZ P07/09, carried hammer down, the other pistol is Hi Power.

I carry the Hi Power in a kydex holster, the pistol is on safe going into the holster, I then take it off safe. Just as I used to in the old days, but it was a hard leather holster that I modified so the thumb break had added material so people wouldn't freak out. Israel back in the day being condition 3 carry every where. Today in the best places this isn't true any more but the carry gun are Glocks.

Third gun is HK P7, which I practice reloads on daily.

Long guns, I don't get to shoot very often. Too busy. But I am going to take steps post corona that will, allow me to shoot a long gun every day.

Korgs130
04-24-20, 09:21
I shoot pistol (100 rounds) & carbine (60 rounds) just about every week. I’ll take one handgun and one long gun each trip. 5 “go to” guns in my rotation:

Pistol
- HK USP LEM Compact (duty)
- G19 RMR (Carry)
- G43x (Carry)

Carbine
- BCM Recce 14 w/ P4xi
- BCM CQB 11 w/ H2

For just fun, once a month I’ll work in one of my other guns like my 1911, SP5 or clone GAU5A/A usually.

markm
07-09-20, 09:36
G22. Qualify once a year at the most.

ARs every weekend. Irons and Dot sights.

RMiller
07-09-20, 15:27
The minimum amount possible.

J-Frame pocket carry, and the G45 and AK.

If I try switching a lot and I find myself trying to reach for the CH on the right side of an AR.

The_War_Wagon
07-09-20, 16:47
This is EXACTLY why I standardized calibers (.45acp, 5.56) and weapon-type (1911, AR-15) after 9/11.

I have a couple of oddball pieces (Star Firestar M45, Taurus 605, Bren 805, Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical) - we all do. But I get them to the range a few times a years as well (MORE for the handguns, since I tend to CARRY them!).

yoni
07-09-20, 17:26
I draw on what I used to do with Hi Powers in Israel and what a SAS Det 14 friend of mine did in N. Ireland back in the day.

We both independent of each other did the same thing with Hi Powers in high risk environment, we would put the pistol cocked and locked into a hard leather holster and take it off safe so it was draw and fire. Because to hit the old tiny safety was difficult.

So today I have Glocks which I only carry the 26 any more, Hi Powers and CZ P07/09 with CGW trigger work. I run them all the same, draw and fire.

So this makes training easy and uniform.

Macedonian
07-25-20, 18:13

I usually go to the range twice a month. One hour per visit. Sometimes my wife will come with us, but usually its me and my son (12 yrs ). S&W MP15 22 LR and Taurus TX 22 are always with us. I will usually bring 2 more handguns. Usually I will bring Glock 48 and HK VP9SK, or Glock and SIG P320 X-Carry. Sometimes I will bring FNS 40, but even if that's the gun I keep under my mattress, I don't it shoot often. I try to keep the cost as low as possible.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-26-20, 10:37
The short answer is two. One Glock 17 and one AR for training purposes.

The long answer is I have two Glock 17s, one for training and one for carry, both setup the same. I have multiple ARs for different purposes, setup nearly identical. One for home defense that has been proven reliable, zero'd, cleaned and lubed properly. It gets shot once a year. I have another that I used for travel. It's an 11.5" AR pistol, law folder, and a Tailhook brace. I have another that is a dedicated training gun. It's shot a lot, cleaned a little. All are setup with Aimpoint Micro T1 or H1 optics, Arisaka lights, 2 point slings, and Geissele triggers. They don't all have the same rail/handguard, but the pressure switch is located in the same spot on the top rail for familiarity.

I don't subscribe to the one gun theory that a lot of people do. If that works for you, rock on but it's not for me. I've never met a carpenter who owned one hammer or a mechanic that owned one socket wrench.