PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Benghazi?

rocsteady
12-31-19, 12:05
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-presses-iraq-to-protect-american-personnel-after-embassy-attack-there-will-be-no-benghazis

Sure looks familiar unfortunately. Then hearing the "other side" claim it's a response to uncalled for aggression is infuriating! How about you stop launching rockets into US occupied bases; how about that??

flenna
12-31-19, 12:09
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-presses-iraq-to-protect-american-personnel-after-embassy-attack-there-will-be-no-benghazis

Sure looks familiar unfortunately. Then hearing the "other side" claim it's a response to uncalled for aggression is infuriating! How about you stop launching rockets into US occupied bases; how about that??

Except this time the Americans in the embassy won’t be abandoned. Just read reports that 100 Marines are enroute and there is an Apache overhead dropping flares.

tn1911
12-31-19, 12:32
100 Marines choppers in

Apaches on station, fast air support minutes away and who knows what other American SOF assets lurking around those parts.

chuckman
12-31-19, 12:57
The Marines have contingency plans for these very events. There's a whole host of packages put together to either evacuate or defend an embassy.

Buncheong
12-31-19, 13:09
Militias have been integrated into the Iraqi Army, they are not separate or independent entities, any longer. The US attacked units fighting IS holdouts near the border crossing; in other words, it attacked the Iraqi Army.

US and Israeli airstrikes are what is stoking the rage. Escalation is not the answer; getting out of the Middle East, is - there is no military solution.

More war in the Middle East will only serve to hasten the end of the Petrodollar, and accelerate the economic collapse of the United States, which is already underway.

just a scout
12-31-19, 13:22
FAST Company is being deployed to reinforce the embassy. That’s the biggest difference between this and Benghazi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WillBrink
12-31-19, 13:27
Except this time the Americans in the embassy won’t be abandoned. Just read reports that 100 Marines are enroute and there is an Apache overhead dropping flares.

Came in to post that story, and say just that. If HRC was in charge, like the last time, they never would have been sent and 'Muricans killed. Benghazi should never be forgotten nor forgiven. Marine fast response company are inbound if not already there.

rocsteady
12-31-19, 14:28

Quite a different response this time around...

Averageman
12-31-19, 14:53
Break out an M2 and a dozen cases of ammo. Sandbag it in on the roof and wait for things to get spicier. You don't get to breech the gate or the wall. You don't get to shoot over the wall and you can't throw anything over the wall without that being considered and aggressive act.
These guys aren't all that.

glocktogo
12-31-19, 15:08
The difference a President makes.

"Benghazi is under attack!": Crickets...

"Baghdad is under attack!": Apache gunships on station, Marine Raiders inbound...

Diamondback
12-31-19, 15:51
Known Iranian operatives/assets seen in the crowd too.
https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/12/31/heres-proof-iran-is-behind-the-attack-on-the-u.s.-embassy-in-iraq

chuckman
12-31-19, 15:54
The difference a President makes.

"Benghazi is under attack!": Crickets...

"Baghdad is under attack!": Apache gunships on station, Marine Raiders inbound...

I doubt it was MARSOC. It was a SPMAGTF crisis response unit, most likely a FAST element or combo FAST and infantry.

In any case, the difference in response between POTUS and Obama is staggering. Trump is reported as saying "There will be no Benghazi on watch".

Belmont31R
12-31-19, 15:57
This is quite a bit different than Beghhazi which was an annex not a billion plus dollar compound with deployed US military units on site.

However, once again the left and MSM take the side of Iran and terrorists. Not surprised just another perfect example of how extremist the left has become they openly side with countries and terrorist organizations that would line up and shoot Americans with glee.

NYT called them 'mourners' and 'protestors'. This group is controlled and funded by Iran and has been designated as a foreign terrorist organization. They launched rockets at a US occupied base which killed and wounded Americans. We bombed their 'camps' in response yet the left and MSM sides with a Hezbollah terrorist organization that attacked Americans. An Iran backed/controlled terrorist org was also responsible for the Beirut Marine barracks bombing. Not our first run in with these assholes.

Iraq has been sliding towards becoming an Iranian proxy with the shift from Sunni to Shia leadership. The Shia groups started getting support, funding, and control from Iran early on in OIF including thousands of 'Made in Iran' of EFP-IED's that were responsible for hundreds of US military deaths. The ****ers were even spray painting on the embassy that the leader of the Iranian Qods forces is their leader. Qods is the unconventional warfare arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard that sends advisors/funding/weapons to terrorist orgs around the ME.

Pappabear
12-31-19, 16:00
Americans all over the world are enormously safer with Trump in office. But there are still many places we just don't need to be lallygagging as civilians.

PB

glocktogo
12-31-19, 16:13
I doubt it was MARSOC. It was a SPMAGTF crisis response unit, most likely a FAST element or combo FAST and infantry.

In any case, the difference in response between POTUS and Obama is staggering. Trump is reported as saying "There will be no Benghazi on watch".

I was using literary license by saying Raiders, but agreed. :)

Averageman
12-31-19, 16:22
I'm at a loss as to why we haven't selectively began sniping them.

glocktogo
12-31-19, 16:26

A suppressed 10/22 would be a great start.

jpmuscle
12-31-19, 16:31
This is quite a bit different than Beghhazi which was an annex not a billion plus dollar compound with deployed US military units on site.

However, once again the left and MSM take the side of Iran and terrorists. Not surprised just another perfect example of how extremist the left has become they openly side with countries and terrorist organizations that would line up and shoot Americans with glee.

NYT called them 'mourners' and 'protestors'. This group is controlled and funded by Iran and has been designated as a foreign terrorist organization. They launched rockets at a US occupied base which killed and wounded Americans. We bombed their 'camps' in response yet the left and MSM sides with a Hezbollah terrorist organization that attacked Americans. An Iran backed/controlled terrorist org was also responsible for the Beirut Marine barracks bombing. Not our first run in with these assholes.

Iraq has been sliding towards becoming an Iranian proxy with the shift from Sunni to Shia leadership. The Shia groups started getting support, funding, and control from Iran early on in OIF including thousands of 'Made in Iran' of EFP-IED's that were responsible for hundreds of US military deaths. The ****ers were even spray painting on the embassy that the leader of the Iranian Qods forces is their leader. Qods is the unconventional warfare arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard that sends advisors/funding/weapons to terrorist orgs around the ME.

Hopefully Israel will help us in doing something about Iran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belmont31R
12-31-19, 16:38
Hopefully Israel will help us in doing something about Iran.

Israel has been dealing with Iran backed terrorists since the Iranian revolution, and Obama didn't do anyone any favors signing the nuclear agreement which gave the Iranians pallets of US dollars to fund terrorism the last few years. As soon as the pallets showed up and the sanctions went away Iran started funding groups in Yemen, Iraq, and around Israel at a much more rapid pace than they ever had previously.

Belmont31R
12-31-19, 16:42

While that's the fun feel good in the moment solution this is a long term problem, and the Mullahs give zero ****s about some scrub Iraqis they can sacrifice to make the US look bad.

Averageman
12-31-19, 18:27
While that's the fun feel good in the moment solution this is a long term problem, and the Mullahs give zero ****s about some scrub Iraqis they can sacrifice to make the US look bad.

And I give zero F**** about them having a permanent limp for the rest of their lives either.
Knees, ankles, elbows and wrists, just make it difficult for them to earn a living or wipe their own butts.

duece71
12-31-19, 19:21

I read somewhere that the Israeli army uses these to “kneecap” Palestinian protesters.

chuckman
12-31-19, 19:37

I imagine we have....

Belmont31R
12-31-19, 19:53
82nd Airborne is deploying to Kuwait with up to 4k~ total coming in the next couple days to week. Not a bad move and lets everyone know we aren't ****ing around without a knee jerk reaction.

I fully understand so many people's response to start shooting and stacking em deep but its perhaps a fault of the west of late of immediate gratification at the expense of long term strategy. A lot of eastern thought and strategy is measured in generations not hour by hour or day by day. A year to them is 10 minutes to us. Hyperbole to an extent but I mentioned Hezbollah (Iran proxy) being involved in the Marine barracks bombing and that was Reagan era. Thats 1-2 generations of young MAM's and we're in a shittier situation now than 80's ME IMO.

OH58D
12-31-19, 19:59
Well, doesn't this bit of information make for a frosty Tuesday.... From Breitbart:

Iranian Militia Leader Leading Iraq U.S. Embassy Raid Listed as Obama White House Guest

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2019/12/31/iranian-militia-leader-who-led-raid-u-s-embassy-baghdad-previously-visited-obama-white-house/

Belmont31R
12-31-19, 20:16
Well, doesn't this bit of information make for a frosty Tuesday.... From Breitbart:

Iranian Militia Leader Leading Iraq U.S. Embassy Raid Listed as Obama White House Guest

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2019/12/31/iranian-militia-leader-who-led-raid-u-s-embassy-baghdad-previously-visited-obama-white-house/

Yup. Good thing we have a free and independent media under the protections of the 1st Amendment to report accurate and unbiased information.

Oh wait the MSM has been abusing the 1st Amendment for decades to run interference for communists and radical islamists which has resulted in millions of deaths....

Mauser KAR98K
01-01-20, 01:23
I think after pur response after securing the embassy should he bombing the Iranians ports and oil and fuel storage. After that, sit back and watch them really squirm.

Take their money and all things that make it. Starve them.

glocktogo
01-01-20, 05:23

If they don’t care about ‘scrub Iraqis’, why should we when they’re setting fire to sovereign US soil?

The Daily Mail posted a report with satellite photos of 18 Iranian small boats shadowing our carrier strike group in the Gulf at a paltry 1000 yards. EIGHTEEN gunboats within firing range of a US carrier, and a USN spokesman said this was within normal sop for the Iranians?

OK, but you just let them do it? Well the USN let small boats come right up to our ships in Aden, right up till al Qaeda bombed the USS Cole! There is no legitimate reason for allowing Iranian puppets set fire to our embassy, any more than there is to let IRGC gunboats swarm our carrier group in international waters. Light those mother effers up and reset the boundaries!

Or pack our shit and leave. These half measures are nothing but an invitation to harm the US. :mad:

danattyfatty
01-01-20, 07:53
Can someone educate me as to what our strategic interests are in the Middle East, please?

Why can’t we just blow shit up and go back home?

Outlander Systems
01-01-20, 08:18
Daily reminder that we should all buy Teslas.

Can someone educate me as to what our strategic interests are in the Middle East, please?

Sam
01-01-20, 08:58
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iraq-us-embassy-troops-protests-tear-gas

The description of a picture of the Marines getting ready reads: "In this photo provided by U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Marines assigned to Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Crisis Response-Central Command (SPMAGTF-CR-CC) 19.2, prepare to deploy from Kuwait in support of a crisis response mission, Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019. The SPMAGTF-CR-CC is designed to move to support operations throughout the Middle East. (U.S. Marine Corps photos by Sgt. Robert G. Gavaldon via AP)"

John W
01-01-20, 09:52
Daily reminder that we should all buy Teslas.

Times have changed. We are an oil exporter now. That is a huge difference, strategically, from where we were 20 and 30 years ago.

We have bigger issues knocking on our door at our Southern border.

Bring the boys home.

Tx_Aggie
01-01-20, 11:17

One word: Petrodollar

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-01-20, 11:52

Someone mentioned the difference in eastern versus western time horizons when it comes to conflict, but I don’t think that is the true issue. The west wins wars because of our tradition going back to the Greeks of old school shock and awe. Pitched battles that are conclusive in their outcome. This leads to short wars and getting back to peacetime. The real issue is that the war never really ends. Or more generally conflict never ends. We see the end of the war as the end of it. The eastern philosophy sees that just as the start of the new period. It explains fairly well why the west is fairly good at winning wars, but usually sucks at winning the peace.

The east fights wars like humidity. It’s always there, it’s never going away, it won’t kill you out right but it makes your life miserable. We fight wars like a flood. We come in destroy a lot of crap and then leave. We need a hybrid model that doesn’t depend on constant attention, but has decisive outcomes. Instead of humidity or a once in a lifetime flood, more like a monsoon. We will come back at regular intervals and mess your crap up when you get out line.

jpmuscle
01-01-20, 12:26
Someone mentioned the difference in eastern versus western time horizons when it comes to conflict, but I don’t think that is the true issue. The west wins wars because of our tradition going back to the Greeks of old school shock and awe. Pitched battles that are conclusive in their outcome. This leads to short wars and getting back to peacetime. The real issue is that the war never really ends. Or more generally conflict never ends. We see the end of the war as the end of it. The eastern philosophy sees that just as the start of the new period. It explains fairly well why the west is fairly good at winning wars, but usually sucks at winning the peace.

The east fights wars like humidity. It’s always there, it’s never going away, it won’t kill you out right but it makes your life miserable. We fight wars like a flood. We come in destroy a lot of crap and then leave. We need a hybrid model that doesn’t depend on constant attention, but has decisive outcomes. Instead of humidity or a once in a lifetime flood, more like a monsoon. We will come back at regular intervals and mess your crap up when you get out line.

I’d be onboard with “magnificent episodic obliteration”.

chuckman
01-01-20, 12:43
A convo on coulda shoulda woulda on tactical or strategic goals or needs of the US in the region are fine, but in this specific case, the embassy was attacked: the embassy is US sovereign territory and should be defended.

armtx77
01-01-20, 13:32
This is nothing like Benghazi. The Embassy in Iraq, is an actual EMBASSY. The one in Benghazi was not an officially recognized Embassy by our State Department...because we were running "arms" out of it. Sending in American forces would have been an act of war...we can debate the finer points.

American forces are able to respond to one Embassy and not the other. In this case, POTUS did right and sicked the dogs on them rickity tick.

chuckman
01-01-20, 14:27
This is nothing like Benghazi. The Embassy in Iraq, is an actual EMBASSY. The one in Benghazi was not an officially recognized Embassy by our State Department...because we were running "arms" out of it. Sending in American forces would have been an act of war...we can debate the finer points.

American forces are able to respond to one Embassy and not the other. In this case, POTUS did right and sicked the dogs on them rickity tick.

Benghazi was a CIA facility and a black one at that. Regardless of whether or not we were running arms out of it. But sending in a rescue force may/may not have been an act of war. They could have darn well sent military forces to the residence with no question.

I think the argument was not the legal nuance, but rather that Obama left Americans absolutely high and dry. I have nothing to back this on historically, but I imagine that if it was at the embassy or at the residence he still would have left them high and dry.

So in context of how it was exactly like Benghazi was that we had Americans in a siege situation.

armtx77
01-01-20, 15:22
Benghazi was a CIA facility and a black one at that. Regardless of whether or not we were running arms out of it. But sending in a rescue force may/may not have been an act of war. They could have darn well sent military forces to the residence with no question.

I think the argument was not the legal nuance, but rather that Obama left Americans absolutely high and dry. I have nothing to back this on historically, but I imagine that if it was at the embassy or at the residence he still would have left them high and dry.

So in context of how it was exactly like Benghazi was that we had Americans in a siege situation.

I am under the impression that if you are doing Black Ops for the Spooks over at Langley. Than it is a known quantity that if it get sideways during an Op and everything in Benghazi was an OP. Than you are on your own.There will be no help from yhe MotherShip.

If we want to talk about how the Obama Admin completely lied to the American People and how Republicans, led by Trey Gowdy of SC covered for the Obama administration to protect the STATE. Than lets discuss, but when MANPADS were being used in Afghanistan against US forces...there is one place they could have come from and that is Benghazi. Unless you believe we were selling them direct.

CRAMBONE
01-01-20, 15:26
The Marines have contingency plans for these very events. There's a whole host of packages put together to either evacuate or defend an embassy.

Not just that but also the amount of equipment and personnel organic to an Embassy in one of these locations would blow most people’s minds. (I worked in Kabul for 6 years.)

Buncheong
01-01-20, 15:55

Bring the boys home.

10,000 x this ^

We have thousands and tens of thousands of physically and emotionally mutilated veterans from 18 years of war as it is, already. Enough to merit our care and attention for the next 50+ years.

The US official national debt is north of $22T USD, but unofficially likely far higher.

Most of our industrial production is off-shored.

Our power grids, water treatment facilities, roads, highways, and bridges are decades overdue for replacement.

Our country is being invaded and nothing is done about it.

Our people increasingly sleep in the streets, or kill themselves with drugs.

More war and more killing is not the answer.

A quick survey of the 5th Column currently infesting the California government and the US House of Representatives means we are likely going to need our men and women in uniform here at home, in the near-term. We are in grave danger of losing our country, forever.

Bring our kids, home.

Sam
01-01-20, 16:14
The Iraqi government is supposedly our friend/ally right? They should stand shoulder to shoulder with our Marines to defend the embassy. Any sovereign friendly host nation would do that to defend another nation on their soil.

Outlander Systems
01-01-20, 16:25
I would wholeheartedly support a war with Mexico.

Iraq?

Let the mother****er burn.

Times have changed. We are an oil exporter now. That is a huge difference, strategically, from where we were 20 and 30 years ago.

Bring the boys home.

chuckman
01-01-20, 16:33
Not just that but also the amount of equipment and personnel organic to an Embassy in one of these locations would blow most people’s minds. (I worked in Kabul for 6 years.)

I never had any real interaction with MSG, but I was a corpsman with reconnaissance, and did some cross-training with elements from FAST. So from my knowledge, I totally agree, the actual ability to respond is never advertised and sure looks downplayed from the lone Marine standing guard at the shack out front of the gate.

CRAMBONE
01-01-20, 17:25
I never had any real interaction with MSG, but I was a corpsman with reconnaissance, and did some cross-training with elements from FAST. So from my knowledge, I totally agree, the actual ability to respond is never advertised and sure looks downplayed from the lone Marine standing guard at the shack out front of the gate.

I wasn’t even talking about MSGs. I was talking about contractors and USG civilian employees, and their equipment.

And as a whole, MSGs have never impressed me.

CRAMBONE
01-01-20, 17:31
Of course DOD does bring the heavy duty stuff that goes boom instead of bang.

RHINOWSO
01-01-20, 17:57
Screw Iraq, it's been a huge mistake from jump in '03.

We should have been out of Afghanistan since about '02 as well.

I enjoy the fight as much as the next man but it's been a complete waste of lives, time, and resources.

jpmuscle
01-01-20, 18:01
I would wholeheartedly support a war with Mexico.

Iraq?

Let the mother****er burn.

How could you abandon our allies in the region like that.

chuckman
01-01-20, 18:24
I wasn’t even talking about MSGs. I was talking about contractors and USG civilian employees, and their equipment.

And as a whole, MSGs have never impressed me.

MSG has some pretty good resources that don't get advertised. I don't know about contractors or civilians. In my experience places I've been to, other alphabet agencies have some pretty good firepower to bear if we needed it.

vicious_cb
01-01-20, 18:33
It could have gone alot worse...if Samuel L Jackson was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGyt3ZDv2Y

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-01-20, 20:01
Benghazi? More Tehran... but if they think that Trump is Carter, they are far off the mark.

chuckman
01-02-20, 05:45
Benghazi? More Tehran... but if they think that Trump is Carter, they are far off the mark.

The difference being, if we had to evacuate the embassy in Iraq we don't have to fly over hostile territory to do it, but we have over 5,000 us citizens there. That is an evacuation of massive proportion.