PDA

View Full Version : Gun shops near Ft Polk

rero360
01-01-20, 13:20
I recently volunteered to spend 6 weeks at Ft Polk in a few months to act as a guest OCT, that’s where you follow a unit conducting training and you make sure they’re safe and give pointers on tactics and what not.

Anyway, I was was hoping that I’d be able to make a trip off of base and pick up a new pistol while I’m there. CA gun laws suck and I want to get an M&P Shield, been eyeing them for a while but I hate buying guns here.

I know in Utah if you’re there on orders for more than 30 days you can legally buy pistols from places like Cabellas, does anyone know if that’s the case in Louisiana as well? And if so, is there anyone local that can recommend a gun shop nearby to check out? Heck, they may carry them at the exchange on base, although I’d probably need PCS orders to buy from them.

When I was a guest OCT at Ft Irwin back in July I was able to leave base then so I’m hoping it’s the same at Polk.

Wake27
01-01-20, 15:10
I thought it was a federal law that you had to be a resident or on PCS orders in that state in order to buy a handgun. That was actually my understanding based on what the gun counter guys at the Polk PX told me, but that was a few years ago. I remember because I was also a guest OC/T and the 320s has just been released. I was only there for about three weeks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRD
01-01-20, 15:13
I'm not sure if Louisiana will allow you to buy a firearm if you don't have orders there....

Star Gun & Pawn is your typical overpriced right-outside-the-gate gun store (the main gate).

Nichols Sporting Goods in Leesville is mainly for FUDDs but they might have an M&P Shield.

The best store in the area is probably CBG Firearms in DeRidder (about 30 mins south). They have a good selection of ARs and handguns. They close early (1PM) on Saturdays though.

Going even further south is DTS Tactical in Moss Bluff, LA near Lake Charles. They have a smaller selection, but is a good veteran owned store.

rero360
01-01-20, 15:29
I thought it was a federal law that you had to be a resident or on PCS orders in that state in order to buy a handgun. That was actually my understanding based on what the gun counter guys at the Polk PX told me, but that was a few years ago. I remember because I was also a guest OC/T and the 320s has just been released. I was only there for about three weeks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My second to last time at Williams the guy at the counter in Cabellas said that if our orders were greater than 30 days then he could legally sell the pistol, but at the time my orders were only three weeks, my last visit was 32 days but I bought an upper from CLE instead.

I figure I can always go with orders in hand to the exchange and ask there at Polk, worst they say is no.

It looks like it’ll be at least myself and one of my AGRs going from the battalion so hopefully CA will give us a rental. Having my POV at Irwin was a lifesaver.