PDA

View Full Version : Some FTF's at the trip to the range.

idreamt...
11-18-08, 14:26
I have picked up a used Bushmaster 24". It seemed to be in good shape, although I am new at this, but the gun would not load with a full mag. The round would get jammed in the feed ramp whether I hit the bolt release or charging handle. It did this 3 to 4 times per mag, then loaded and had no cycling problems and fired fine.

My assumption is the buffer/buffer spring is worn and could use a new one?

M4arc
11-18-08, 14:37
We need more info; what mags and ammo where you using?

idreamt...
11-18-08, 15:20
Brand new CProducts 30rd with magpul follower.
PMC Bronze .223 55gr fmj-bt.

Failure2Stop
11-18-08, 18:56
Brand new CProducts 30rd with magpul follower.

A shiny new penny says this is probably the issue.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-18-08, 18:59
. It seemed to be in good shape, although I am new at this, but the gun would not load with a full mag.

load no more than 28 rounds in a USGI mag. i like 27.

get some PMags when you can.

idreamt...
11-18-08, 19:35
So it's the mag. Good to know.
Thanks.

Tipsovr
11-18-08, 20:24
load no more than 28 rounds in a USGI mag. i like 27.

get some PMags when you can.

Just curious, why do you say this? Should this be the norm with USGI mags? If so I'm dumping all mine and switching to Pmags...

SpartanArms
11-18-08, 20:48
Tipsovr,

No this is not the norm with USGI mags. However some people have experienced more than their fair share of difficulties with CProducts mags. I personally have several aluminum C-Products mags which have worked well, but others have had some issues with them not not performing well. Also, there seem to have been a lot of people who had problems with the C-Products steel magazines.

I believe the current consensus (if such a thing is possible) among trainers who see a lot of rounds go down-range during the year is that steel mags tend to suck balls. If you don't believe me, just ask Pat Rogers or Travis and Chris from MagPul Dynamics.:D They will give you a good idea of how many steel AR magazines, even HK ones, go tits up during a training course.

If you are planning to run USGI mags go with Okay, Center Industries, D&H, or Colt. These brand aluminum USGI mags have always worked for me. YMMV. Or you could use P-Mags, I have several of them and they are awesome. But there is no reason to ditch your USGI mags for P-Mags unless you just want to...or unless you want to make Rich and Drake really happy!:D

PS. USGI AR magazines were not designed to accept a full 30rds and then lock in on a closed bolt. That's why we only load 27 or 28 rounds. P-Mags were designed to hold 30 rounds and still lock into the gun on a closed bolt, if that matters to you...

Patrick Aherne
11-18-08, 20:52
I have 5 C Products steel mags that work great. One took a shit right in front of the famed ballistician and dental dynamo of death, Gary Roberts, at a Pat Rogers course. It had only about 500-600 rounds through it when it died. I no longer buy C Products stuff. Get some Pmags or mags from Bravo Co and then tell us how it does.

Tipsovr
11-18-08, 21:07
Thanks for the follow ups. I've been re-evaluating my rifle and accessories lately. This site is a God send.

idreamt...
11-19-08, 00:43
Thanks for the follow ups. I've been re-evaluating my rifle and accessories lately. This site is a God send.

What he said.