PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek, old school

01-02-20, 19:45
I don’t normally watch much TV, but due to my main job “accidentally letting” me work more than I’m allowed to over Christmas, I’ve had enough time off this week to make me crazy with boredom. So I’ve been watching a bunch of stuff on Netflix. I’ve seen a few episodes of varying repetitions of the show, but am hardly an expert. I think this aired in the year of my Mother’s birth, so way out of my age group. I suspect that it has been so long since S1E1, that some discussion is warranted. My unqualified thoughts on S1E1 of the 1968 version, which I watched tonight, follow.

It is cheesy, crude, and naive. But the plot and characters hold my interest. I will watch more of it. Ironically, despite it being set in the future (I think) and having served as much inspiration for those that envision future-y shit, I saw it as a portal to the past. Some of the social constructs remind me of 1958 instead of the 1968 (that I have only heard and read of) it originally aired in. Similar to the anachronisms of MASH, where it was set in the Korean War, but spoke of Viet Nam. Also reminds me of my upbringing in Louisiana, where we tend to be roughly a decade in the past, for better or for worse. I miss Louisiana.

The clothing the women wear, and their construction....

The cautionary tale of laziness bordering on sedation due to circumstance and technology is very relevant in our day of cellphones.

The pistol suppressors are super good and make satisfying Dead Air ratcheting sounds. Mmm. Space guns. I wish I had suppressors that worked that well. Or laser guns.

The punishment vs reward for ways of thinking cause me to reflect upon Orwell’s 1984.

The acting is a little thick, and not just from the Captain. But if you suspend disbelief and have a glass of whiskey, its pretty entertaining.

The sounds the antagonist makes in the Rigel 7 scene remind me of Doom, the greatest videogame ever made. Likewise, the “save the woman” theme that follows reminds me of Mario and Princess Toadstool.

The story of the Captain being captured, put to tests, and ultimately prevailing is a timeless one. At least as far back as Homer. Probably further. The choice to breed with one of 3 beautiful women was particularly classical.

The medical diagnostic technology is amazing. Also, I have the strange urge to shove 14’s in some of those head veins.

All in all, a good story. Combine with whiskey.

Ron3
01-03-20, 07:39
No argument from me.

Never was a Federation guy, though.

I prefer to support the Romulans. (The better ones, not the Tal Shiar secret Police / Empire types)

Slater
01-03-20, 08:03
The then-current Cold War was reflected in a few storylines.

Alpha-17
01-03-20, 08:08
No argument from me.

I prefer to support the Romulans. (The better ones, not the Tal Shiar secret Police / Empire types)

A man after my own heart. Always loved the Romulans, especially when they hold true to their Roman inspiration.

duece71
01-03-20, 13:34
The channel “MeTV” had regular old school Star Trek on every night for a hour (double episode). While some of the acting was a little cheesy, I thought W. Shatner was awesome and the show itself is timeless.

sundance435
01-03-20, 14:04
No argument from me.

The Federation are the Bernie-backers of the Star Trek universe. I've always been more partial to the Romulans and later the Cardassians. The Cardassians were like Klingons if they had brains.

chef8489
01-03-20, 15:56
I have every star trek episode to date. Not watched a lot of tos as of yet but have watched all the others.

glocktogo
01-03-20, 16:05
My local provider carries H&I channel. I just watched an episode of TOS last night. They have 5 straight hours of the various series back to back. :)

https://www.handitv.com/allstartrek/original-series/

MegademiC
01-04-20, 06:53
My favorite part of the show is seeing all the tech that actually made it so far- like everything beeping.

Firefly
01-05-20, 23:16
It was a buncha communist hippie crap.

Ya had the black chick in charge of communications, the chinese guy driving, the Russkie in charge of the secrets, the alcoholic Scotsman in charge of the engine, the hillbilly as the doctor, and the homoerotic tension between Spock and Kirk was too much even for me.

And then they pick up hippies singing about Eden and going on about all this and that.
And I got sick of the preaching about civil rights and all that lame stuff.

Star Trek makes me bitter and angry.

I’d rather watch Buck Rogers because Erin Grey or Battlestar because Michelle Forbes. Or good ol Star Wars. It had guns, Twilek chicks, and heroes we can respect like Palpatine and Vader

Diamondback
01-05-20, 23:24

Ya had the black chick in charge of communications, the chinese guy driving, the Russkie in charge of the secrets, the alcoholic Scotsman in charge of the engine, the hillbilly as the doctor, and the homoerotic tension between Spock and Kirk was too much even for me.

And then they pick up hippies singing about Eden and going on about all this and that.

I’d rather watch Buck Rogers because Erin Grey or Battlestar because Michelle Forbes. Or good ol Star Wars. It had guns, Twilek chicks, and heroes we can respect like Palpatine and Vader

At least TNG had Gates McFadden for Ginger MILF Hotness. Well, until she went blonde in the movies anyway... :(

bp7178
01-05-20, 23:25

I want to Paypal you $5.

SteyrAUG
01-06-20, 18:19

You mean you didn't find the one episode where people from one planet are black on one side and white on the other while people from another planet are white on one side and black on the other to be a powerful social commentary on race relations. :D

I can watch it and get past any hippy, dippy nonsense. Star trek phasers were cool long and the Enterprise was just kick ass. I also tend to dig episodes like Nomad where it's more sci fi.