PDA

View Full Version : Localism in the 2020s: The Second Amendment Santuary Movement

Buncheong
01-03-20, 00:00
“What sort of fortitude do these local communities really posses on this issue, and how many are willing to engage in genuine acts of civil disobedience and sacrifice if push comes to shove. We simply don’t know.”

https://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2020/01/02/localism-in-the-2020s-part-1-the-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-movement/

Alpha-17
01-03-20, 08:07
In short, I agree that localism is likely the best way forward. Pushing lawmaking authority, or rather, rights-protecting authority, to the lowest level possible helps to ensure that it accurately represents the will of the people.

That said, we do also have to worry about how strongly these sanctuaries will be protected and enforced. Kansas has had a Second Amendment Protection Act for a while, but it is not enforced, and that has led to jail time for some of the first people to test it. Not a good test case. VA, on the other hand, has attracted national attention, and the Bundy Ranch situation (and to a lesser extent, the Whiskey Warrior standoff) showed that there are enough people on a hair-trigger ready to travel if something happens. 2020 could easily prove to be a decisive year in how such laws are seen and backed up.

jpmuscle
01-03-20, 08:12
“What sort of fortitude do these local communities really posses on this issue, and how many are willing to engage in genuine acts of civil disobedience and sacrifice if push comes to shove. We simply don’t know.”

https://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2020/01/02/localism-in-the-2020s-part-1-the-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-movement/

Unless said AOs are going to completely dismiss all gun laws on the books it’s all BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH58D
01-03-20, 11:21
In Blue States, localism in segmented by urban, suburban and rural. In New Mexico, outlying suburban and rural areas are totally ignoring the State's new background check for person to person transfers outside of immediate family. If the laws get tougher, there will be just a lot of non-compliance. Of our 33 counties, 26 are 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries, and there are municipalities within those counties who adopted their version of it as well - County Sheriff Deputies won't enforce the future laws - City police won't enforce them. Right now it's business as usual.

We have three Sportsman's Warehouses in this State and Black Rifles are quite the rage here. New Mexico is a weird State with leftist policies at the State Government level, but a lot of rural hippies with guns as well. Kind of like Vermont.

jsbhike
01-03-20, 12:28
New Mexico is a weird State with leftist policies at the State Government level, but a lot of rural hippies with guns as well. Kind of like Vermont.

That reminds me. I am not really sure hippies are, or ever have been, quite what they are portrayed to be by the mainstream sources at least on the whole.

One of my bosses was in a Goodwill and picked up a couple of yearly books/catalogs (format similar to a Gun Digest....a mix of articles and ads on how to/where to get) aimed at hippies from the late 1960's. The largest genre was homesteading oriented(raising gardens and livestock, fixing stuff), but the remainder was medical/first aid, and outdoorsy including guns, camping, and even comparing 4x4's of the time.

The gist of it seemed to be self sufficiency and leaving others alone which is 180 degrees opposite of communists and fascists.

rocsteady
01-03-20, 14:33
In reference to making the sanctuary idea viable on a local level; I think that has the best chance of working as it's locals who would have to come and try to enforce the un-Constitutional gun laws. This gives the advantage to those opposing the overreach as they know that the local LEOs live in the area, have families in the area, etc. I would hope that the law enforcement officers actually given the order would be too closely connected with the community to carry it out, but failing that, it wouldn't be necessary to bring any violence in their direction, just reminder that they have skin in the game. Having been in federal law enforcement, I always found there were more like me who wouldn't carry out confiscations and such, but there's always one or two in the crowd who will follow orders blindly. Don't get me wrong, I'm as pro-law enforcement as they come, just worth pointing out that local law enforcement is, or should be, very aware of consequences should they abuse the power of the government on their neighbors.