PDA

View Full Version : New Vortex Razor Gen III coming

ggp2jz
01-04-20, 14:51
https://i.imgur.com/ed67TF5.jpg

RHINOWSO
01-04-20, 16:03
It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off well.

Then look for fire sales on II-Es new and used.

joffe
01-04-20, 16:15
Insider tip from Ilya Koshkin over on Snipershide is that the product is real and will be officially announced in a week.

There is also a page with the reticle options. (https://i.imgur.com/iIxIL4S.jpg)

I'm not sure if this flyer is final or accurate. If they have truly achieved a 1-10x FFP scope in the exact same footprint and weight as the II-E 1-6, this is a revolutionary product. Adding an exceedingly useful wind dot MRAD reticle akin to the one Nightforce put in their 1-8 ATACR is simply the cherry on top of the already mindblowing pie.

My Razor 1-6 gen II no longer feels like an investment, it feels like a boat anchor. But such is the price of progress..

RHINOWSO
01-04-20, 16:26
Insider tip from Ilya Koshkin over on Snipershide is that the product is real and will be officially announced in a week...

...If they have truly achieved a 1-10x FFP scope in the exact same footprint and weight as the II-E 1-6, this is a revolutionary product. Adding an exceedingly useful wind dot MRAD reticle akin to the one Nightforce put in their 1-8 ATACR is simply the cherry on top of the already mindblowing pie.
Agreed - clarity, execution and reticle usefulness will be the deciding factors on if this is a home run or not.

JediGuy
01-04-20, 17:11
Curious to see how visible the dot is at FFP... This seems like a game changer if it is solid, which I assume it will be.

jpmuscle
01-04-20, 18:11
I hope this lives up to all of its potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themonk
01-04-20, 19:10
The weight if true is far more important to me than the 10x

MegademiC
01-04-20, 21:31
Curious about eyebox on 1x.

SouthernPhantom
01-04-20, 21:41
2.4mm exit pupil at 10x, I wouldn't expect very much out of it.

vicious_cb
01-04-20, 21:50
It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off well.

Then look for fire sales on II-Es new and used.

I hope so...I dont know if we are quite there yet technologically to make a good 1-10x with out sacrificing something on the low end ie, eye box, distortion, FOV.

L-2
01-04-20, 22:47
My Vortex Razor 1-6x HD II w/JM-1 reticle, is now just a month old. It's ok and slightly better than the 1/4th the price 1-6x Vortex Strike Eagle it replaced. Perhaps it's just me, or it's the nature of these low power variable scopes, but the clarity is limited. There's no parallax or focus on these scopes other than the ability to focus the reticle.

I'd like to try a Trijicon VCOG someday but that's ~a $2K scope (comes with a built-in mount, at least).

Really, I'd probably be just as happy with a 3x magnifier and a good red-dot-sight. I say that now, but I do use that 6x setting since I've got it.

Biggy
01-04-20, 22:59
Looks like these *might* sell around $2000. to start out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1536853-REG/vortex_rzr_11002_1_10x24_razor_gen_iii.html

Mrgunsngear
01-04-20, 23:28

That was my thought as well...

Snipe315
01-05-20, 00:27
Looks interesting and promising to me.

And the clarity of my Nightforce NX8 1-8x is fine at both ends, so the 24mm exit pupil doesn't worry me... too much.

RHINOWSO
01-05-20, 08:52
Looks like these *might* sell around $2000. to start out.

Yeah, Vortex typically sells for 60-75% of MSRP, but I'm sure the tactikids who gottttahaveitrightnow will have to pay a premium.

Beta test away, my friends, beta test away...

On another site a $1999.99 MSRP was listed, so I'm thinking $1500 end state price.

Biggy
01-05-20, 09:28
Yeah, we will probably see Razor Gen 2’s and NX8’s dirt cheap. You know, you gotta keep up in the arm’s race, or you will be left behind. And that ain’t cool. I been left behind at 6X, but still digging the weight and generous eye box on my Kahles.

opngrnd
01-05-20, 10:03
Everytime something like this happens, I get a little more excited about the previous years stuff I want to see on clearance. This scope looks like it might be pretty nice, time will tell.

themonk
01-05-20, 11:02
I could never get into the 1-8x. A solid 1-10x though would replace a few of my 2-10x. I was just going to pick up another nightforce 2.5-10x42 for a recce I have but this may be a better option.

jpmuscle
01-05-20, 12:04
I’m just happy they didn’t waste their time with an Abraham and Moses telethon and coffee reveal [emoji52]

[emoji849]

themonk
01-05-20, 12:48
I’m just happy they didn’t waste their time with an Abraham and Moses telethon and coffee reveal [emoji52]

[emoji849]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

mack7.62
01-05-20, 14:30
We'll see but just seems to me going to 34 mm would make sense.

PatrioticDisorder
01-06-20, 05:37
It will be interesting to see reviews on this scope. I wonder if it will be daylight bright?

jpmuscle
01-06-20, 06:41
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200106/4d690368a80a0cd9a4b04c7996a15f5a.jpg

VortexOptics
01-06-20, 09:23

Can't say much at this point - stay tuned to our platforms this week for more info.

That said, we mentioned this over on Arfcom when the same concern was mentioned. To write an optic off based on exit pupil alone, especially an optic that still has yet to be seen by many people at all, is just bad practice. The Razor 1-6x was our flagship LPVO for 8 years and very highly regarded - to make its successor fall short of that scope in any way across the board would be a huge mistake on our part. Optics are far more complicated than people online who make complete determinations based on a few numerical specs make them out to be. There are full time optical engineers here who painstakingly go through each and every optical system choosing every lens size, curvature, composition, coating, orientation, etc for a very specific reason. With a flagship product like this, you can bet no corners were cut. Those guys picked the objective lens size they did for a reason after much testing and trial and error and determined the optical advantages gained by way of the 24mm objective outweighed those of going bigger. Let your eyes in real life do the deciding

RHINOWSO
01-06-20, 12:21
Nice that they finally figured out that a magnifier ring feeling like sand grit wasn't good and including the obligatory throw lever.

People don't care if you have to charge more for including a PTL, but just include it! :D

jpmuscle
01-06-20, 13:12
Nice that they finally figured out that a magnifier ring feeling like sand grit wasn't good and including the obligatory throw lever.

People don't care if you have to charge more for including a PTL, but just include it! :D

? My 1-6 is stiff but it’s very smooth.

Agreed on the PTL however. Like it’s 2020.

Metric Matt
01-06-20, 15:05
? My 1-6 is stiff but it’s very smooth.

Agreed on the PTL however. Like it’s 2020.

Agreed, my Gen 2 E is stiff but not gritty at all, and it does lighten up some with use.

RHINOWSO
01-06-20, 15:17
I may be overstating it, by mine had a tad of grit in the short time I owned it. But it was definitely stiff and nearly unusable without a throw lever.

Back OT, I look forward to seeing how this optic is received by the shooting public and maybe in a year it'll be something I purchase.

VIP3R 237
01-06-20, 16:03
I’m excited, I’m glad I held off buying a 1-6E. Will you guys have these on any guns at media day? If not I’ll stop by the booth so I can take a look through one. Also thanks for spending time in the forum, we all appreciate manufacturer’s input.

Can't say much at this point - stay tuned to our platforms this week for more info.

That said, we mentioned this over on Arfcom when the same concern was mentioned. To write an optic off based on exit pupil alone, especially an optic that still has yet to be seen by many people at all, is just bad practice. The Razor 1-6x was our flagship LPVO for 8 years and very highly regarded - to make its successor fall short of that scope in any way across the board would be a huge mistake on our part. Optics are far more complicated than people online who make complete determinations based on a few numerical specs make them out to be. There are full time optical engineers here who painstakingly go through each and every optical system choosing every lens size, curvature, composition, coating, orientation, etc for a very specific reason. With a flagship product like this, you can bet no corners were cut. Those guys picked the objective lens size they did for a reason after much testing and trial and error and determined the optical advantages gained by way of the 24mm objective outweighed those of going bigger. Let your eyes in real life do the deciding

VortexOptics
01-06-20, 16:07
I’m excited, I’m glad I help off buying a 1-6E. Will you guys have these on any guns at media day? If not I’ll stop by the booth so I can take a look through one.

One or two made their way out to industry partners but not sure whether or not they'll be on their guns at media day. Worth checking Aero and Springfield. Otherwise our booth will be stocked.

SomeOtherGuy
01-06-20, 19:59
I may be overstating it, by mine had a tad of grit in the short time I owned it. But it was definitely stiff and nearly unusable without a throw lever.

Same here with my Razor 1-6x I owned years ago (maybe 1-2 after they came out). My PST 1-6x is stiff but usable.

So Vortex, this is going to be what, $2000? $2400?

vicious_cb
01-06-20, 21:09
Can't wait for the range reports on these, this would be the holy grail if the 1x on these are just as good as the Razor HD Gen IIs.

jpmuscle
01-07-20, 00:07
Same here with my Razor 1-6x I owned years ago (maybe 1-2 after they came out). My PST 1-6x is stiff but usable.

So Vortex, this is going to be what, $2000? $2400?

I read elsewhere msrp is the same as the 1-6 Gen2

VortexOptics
01-07-20, 11:33
Can't wait for the range reports on these, this would be the holy grail if the 1x on these are just as good as the Razor HD Gen IIs.

It's better.

VortexOptics
01-07-20, 11:35
Also - if anyone has a "Gritty" feel to their Razor Gen 1 1-6x, we've offered a service for a long time to get it into us and reassemble with the upgraded grease in the mag ring to eliminate all that grit feel. Shouldn't have been there from the beginning and isn't present in all of the 1-6's by any means, but we'll make it right if you feel you want it to be better. It's a free service to do so.

VIP3R 237
01-07-20, 14:32
$2900 msrp though. I wonder what MAP is going to be, $2499?

VortexOptics
01-07-20, 14:37
$2900 msrp though. I wonder what MAP is going to be, $2499?

$2000 Street price

Torquetard
01-07-20, 15:53
Looks awesome, would like to see one with a cleaner reticle without so many wind holds. BUt going by your post about different color tubes on TOS, I understand if its not feasible.

Biggy
01-07-20, 17:41
Promo Vid and advertisement from Vortex Optics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij9OTzYvqzM

https://vortexoptics.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=67f73cdb4035759c47177cb72&id=94372255d3&e=6dc583b351

https://vortexoptics.com/media/wysiwyg//sub_RazorHD3_EBR-9_mrad_1-10x24.jpg

https://vortexoptics.com/media/wysiwyg//sub_RazorHD3_EBR-9_moa_1-10x24.jpg

https://vortexoptics.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/1942/product_id/6241/

The Razor® HD Gen III 1-10x is nothing less than your opportunity to shoot without limits. How? We took the optical clarity and versatility of the Razor® HD Gen II and cranked it up to 10 without adding any length or weight to the platform, delivering a first focal plane, daylight-bright reticle with 10x power that lets you own the downrange game in any lighting situation. You get an optic with an **improved eye box** and an *unsurpassed field of view* in a first focal plane LPVO, giving you lightning fast target acquisition in close quarters, and the power to reach out to 1,000 yards and beyond. It’s the perfect match for competition and Mil/LE shooters who rely on the very best optical tools to get an edge. This scope also comes with a throw lever for quick magnification change. FYI, on the reticle's center dot size, if you’re looking at the area that the dot covers instead of the linear measurement, this dot is about 1/3 the size of the one on the NX8. Also, I hear the guys at NF are working on a reticle upgrade for the NX8 scope.

Battery illumination times :

Setting 1 = 2,474 hours constant on

Setting 6 = 211 hours constant on

Setting 8 (Where it really starts to transition from "Daylight visible" to "Daylight Bright" for most situations - ambient light depending) = 45 hours constant on

Setting 11 (Nuclear) = 2 hours constant on

There's an "Off" setting between each "On" position. Reticle perfectly visible without illumination on during the day (We even did a little trick with the etch and fill to make it easier to pick up when not illuminated) the daylight bright-ness is just an advantage when you really wanna pick it up mega-quick in super-bright outdoor conditions. The middle settings on this scope are more comparable in brightness level to the highest settings on an average glass-etched illuminated riflescope that isn't "daylight-bright".

PatrioticDisorder
01-07-20, 18:14
It's better.

Daylight bright?

themonk
01-07-20, 18:33
Daylight bright?

If it's anything like the 1-6 its almost aimpoint bright. Just the dot, not an illuminated reticle.

VortexOptics
01-07-20, 19:01
Daylight bright?

Absolutely it is

VortexOptics
01-07-20, 19:02
Looks awesome, would like to see one with a cleaner reticle without so many wind holds. BUt going by your post about different color tubes on TOS, I understand if its not feasible.

To have one with a cleaner reticle wouldn't be taking much advantage of the reticle being in the FFP. At that point, might as well stick with the Gen II 1-6x Razor with the cleaner SFP reticle. With a reticle like that, probably won't be reaching out to long ranges much anyway, right?

themonk
01-07-20, 19:04
To have one with a cleaner reticle wouldn't be taking much advantage of the reticle being in the FFP. At that point, might as well stick with the Gen II 1-6x Razor with the cleaner SFP reticle. With a reticle like that, probably won't be reaching out to long ranges much anyway, right?

And bingo was his name-o

Coal Dragger
01-07-20, 20:57
Finally a BDC with wind holds.

Take my money!

SomeOtherGuy
01-07-20, 21:01
It looks and sounds like a winner. Looking forward to reviews of production examples.

CESwartz07
01-07-20, 21:30

On that note, in the optics race don’t abandon the lower mag range scopes. Would love a super light, simple SFP reticle, but still clear and durable 1-4, 5, 6

joffe
01-08-20, 03:12
A game-changing optic.

I look forward to trying one.

I am also looking forward to the rest of the Razor line being "gen 3"-d with lighter weight and homegrown tree reticles like this one. Adding the Horus reticles as an option was a step up and all, but I don't like Horus' litigious way of working. Can't even have graphical representations of them in apps like Strelok.

PatrioticDisorder
01-08-20, 18:50
Absolutely it is

Unless there is some quirky issues with this scope we all don’t know about, I’d imagine you guys are going to have a hell of a time keeping up with demand. I’m excited about this scope more than any other scope since the K16i came out.

Biggy
01-09-20, 12:58
New videos up on Instagram currently to show the optical quality of the Razor Gen3 1-10x on 1x all the way through 10x with the different reticles. I bet we will see a bunch of good deals on some lightly used Vortex, Nightforce, Leupold and other top end scopes in the very near future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7GpIRIBbCD/

Tokarev
01-11-20, 08:53
I'd like to try a Trijicon VCOG someday but that's ~a $2K scope (comes with a built-in mount, at least).

Clarity is okay. The VCOG feels solid but is also heavy. Yeah the mount is built-in which adds weight but the optic is heavy none the less.

Reticle is about as useless as most of these tend to be. Too small and not bright enough to really use like a red dot. Too thick and blocky on 6x for precision. Seems best at something like 3x.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
01-11-20, 09:27
Yeah there is a reason the VCOG never caught on with anyone - and it's not because it's awesome.

nick84
01-13-20, 13:55
By the numbers this looks like a winner. Especially at a 2K street price, these babes should be hard to find in stock anywhere. That said, I hate to tell you guys, but my ATACR 1x8 won't be on the EE lol.

I'm curious what would be a more market moving optic: a usable 1x10 in the same size/weight package as the previous market shifting 1x8 (what it appears we're getting), or a usable 1x8 in a smaller and lighter package? I only think it's worth asking because I think there's a useful limit to the high end of magnification on anything that starts with 1x. I can imagine a scenario where I carry a weapon where both 1x and 8x are useful, but is 10x that much more better than 8?

I guess maybe my preference would be for manufacturers to shrink the 1x8 FFP before taking the arms race the other way, but that is in no way an effort to shit on this particular offering. It honestly looks like an awesome package, with an extremely competitive price.

Maybe I'll pick one up slightly used in a couple years when somebody drops the 1x12x30. :D

themonk
01-13-20, 15:15
By the numbers this looks like a winner. Especially at a 2K street price, these babes should be hard to find in stock anywhere. That said, I hate to tell you guys, but my ATACR 1x8 won't be on the EE lol.

I'm curious what would be a more market moving optic: a usable 1x10 in the same size/weight package as the previous market shifting 1x8 (what it appears we're getting), or a usable 1x8 in a smaller and lighter package? I only think it's worth asking because I think there's a useful limit to the high end of magnification on anything that starts with 1x. I can imagine a scenario where I carry a weapon where both 1x and 8x are useful, but is 10x that much more better than 8?

I guess maybe my preference would be for manufacturers to shrink the 1x8 FFP before taking the arms race the other way, but that is in no way an effort to shit on this particular offering. It honestly looks like an awesome package, with an extremely competitive price.

Maybe I'll pick one up slightly used in a couple years when somebody drops the 1x12x30. :D

I would much rather have a 1-10x as it could replace 2-10x which I think is a perfect recce optic. 1-8x never filled a niche for me as it sat in between optics, I would rather have a 1-6 or a 2-10x.

Snipe315
01-13-20, 22:59
I would much rather have a 1-10x as it could replace 2-10x which I think is a perfect recce optic. 1-8x never filled a niche for me as it sat in between optics, I would rather have a 1-6 or a 2-10x.

Agreed.

The 2.5-10x optics were and still are much favored. A 1-10x optic offers an even better magnification range. And that is a great thing. I remember a thread on another forum where some old timer asked why folks were looking to get 1-6x optics when a 1-4x or even a 1-3x was the previous norm (he actually thought 1-4x was the standard... in 2018). Several folks tried to educate him about modern optics and LPVOs. It was a slow and painful process.

Sabre675
01-14-20, 04:21
This is a curious conundrum. Currently contemplating optics, plural, for two rifles. I was looking at both lighter 1-6’s and 1-8’s.

Defining the end to justify the means is Paramount, but, this optic checks a lot of boxes in both the light recce and SPR fields. I was considering a Nightforce 1-8 ATACR within the mix...

assuming the GEN 3 is well executed, I am wondering if there is any reason to consider it anymore....

Within the confusion MARCH is releasing a 1-10 concept on the lighter side https://marchscopes.com/news/3798/

RHINOWSO
01-15-20, 09:52
March's are nearly hand-built from what I understand.

For a 1-8x I went NX-8 for what I wanted - short, lighter, and in my price-range I couldn't justify the $1k more for the ATACR (both with discounts).

For 1-6x I like the PST Gen 2 as the best bang for the buck compared to the Razor - for double the price, it isn't double the capability IMO, at least not until you are really pushing your rifle at the limits of 6x.

This 1-10x Razor III looks interesting but like all things the cool kids chase, will wait and see if they become less enamored with it after they buy and shoot them more. Seems to happen with most optics, not that they are bad but people don't understand what they are really getting. I'm sure it'll be well executed but I never buy until it's been in people hands for 6+ months (BTDT with early recalls, oh they screwed this up at the factory, etc). Sure the companies have always made it right but I prefer to stick with what I have and watch first. Maybe get behind one at the range before buying - not always possible but I think if you have local friends sooner or later a Razor III will show up if you are patient and ask around.

Walker_Texasranger
01-19-20, 13:07
I’m not very well versed in optics. Is this going to be a far better scope then an Accupower 1-8?

vicious_cb
01-19-20, 15:28
Eagerly waiting for the side by side with the razor 1-6x and the ATACR. Honestly if 1x is as good at either I'm gonna have to break my rule of wait atleast a year before jumping into a new product. My main gripe with the razor II was the tiny red dot and crappy reticle choices, the gen 3 seems to solve those issues just like the NF but at a lower price point.

AO777
01-20-20, 21:19
Insider tip from Ilya Koshkin over on Snipershide is that the product is real and will be officially announced in a week.

There is also a page with the reticle options. (https://i.imgur.com/iIxIL4S.jpg)

I'm not sure if this flyer is final or accurate. If they have truly achieved a 1-10x FFP scope in the exact same footprint and weight as the II-E 1-6, this is a revolutionary product. Adding an exceedingly useful wind dot MRAD reticle akin to the one Nightforce put in their 1-8 ATACR is simply the cherry on top of the already mindblowing pie.

My Razor 1-6 gen II no longer feels like an investment, it feels like a boat anchor. But such is the price of progress..

Let me know when your ready to dump that anchor 🤗

WS6
01-21-20, 10:33
Yeah there is a reason the VCOG never caught on with anyone - and it's not because it's awesome.

Yeah, it had terrible optical properties and was fragile.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-21-20, 11:16
I’m not very well versed in optics. Is this going to be a far better scope then an Accupower 1-8?

If you need 10x, then it likely will be. Better reticle better glass clarity, better illumination, but twice the price. The Accupower is alot of scope for $1k.

RHINOWSO
01-21-20, 15:26

As with all things firearms, it depends what you want.

Accupower 1-8 has uncapped turrets and 'meh' illumination.

Razor II has capped and booming illumination, with the Razor III promised to be similar.

I really like the glass in the Accupower lineup (had 2 1-4s, seen the 1-8s) but in the end illumination at 1x is very important to me so that limfac kills them for my use.

VIP3R 237
01-23-20, 10:05
So I fondled the razor gen III quite a bit at shot, and let’s just say they knocked it out of the park. I think this will be THE lpvo of choice (although the Kahles 18i is amazing as well) On 1x next to a gen II I can’t tell a difference in edge to edge clarity, and the eye box was more forgiving than I expected all the way up to 8x. From 8-10x I noticed it was slightly less forgiving but still excellent. Dot was aimpoint bright as is the gen II. I can’t wait to get one of my own.

Biggy
01-23-20, 11:59
So I fondled the razor gen III quite a bit at shot, and let’s just say they knocked it out of the park. I think this will be THE lpvo of choice (although the Kahles 18i is amazing as well) On 1x next to a gen II I can’t tell a difference in edge to edge clarity, and the eye box was more forgiving than I expected all the way up to 8x. From 8-10x I noticed it was slightly less forgiving but still excellent. Dot was aimpoint bright as is the gen II. I can’t wait to get one of my own.

So,as best as you could tell indoors, did the optical clarity or resolution diminish much if any at 8 -10 X?
It looks like, for those people who need the extra capability when shooting out past, lets say 400+yds on a regular basis, I think this 21.5 oz, 1-10X LPV scope will be a clear winner and a good value at $1900.-$2000.

crosseyedshooter
01-23-20, 14:04
This guy did an insteresting comparison between 1-6x and 1-10x Razors demonstrating differences in the eye box.

http://youtu.be/4r-HO6b70Lc

Sabre675
01-23-20, 22:35
^^^^nutz! Sounds like it is living up to the hype so far.

Coal Dragger
01-24-20, 16:36
Well looks like I will have to get one for my 16” SR-15.

Sabre675
01-31-20, 13:04
https://i.imgur.com/xYmpTTe.jpgOrdered it....I'm not a pre-order kind of guy, so hopefully it is comperable or better than the NF ATACR. I was on the fence between the two. I am not a fan of the capped turrents though on either as I think these optics are both more DMR-ish leaning on the LPVO side in my mind when you're at 8 power and beyond. Too bad it isn't offered in black too, not a fan of burnt bronze on a black rifle. Might have to send the rifle to Joint Force Enterprises so the carpet matches the drapes. I'll give feedback in April. Fingers Crossed. Now I have to decide if I want to go with Scalarworks mount or a new style Badger Ordnance. Both are sweet and light. I'm hesitant on trusting the Scalarworks mounting system/torquing knobs, although I've heard no negative feeback considering the abysmal inch/lbs spec. I like the scope leveling feature though and the footprint. Wish the Badger had the same leveling feature.

RHINOWSO
01-31-20, 16:56
I like the scope leveling feature though and the footprint. Wish the Badger had the same leveling feature.

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/tools/products/optic-leveler-combo

Solves all your problems, great kit.

Tokarev
01-31-20, 17:11

Solves all your problems, great kit.Yep. Very handy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sabre675
01-31-20, 18:05

Solves all your problems, great kit.

Great find!!! Thank you very much!

RHINOWSO
01-31-20, 19:30
Yeah, I used it for the first time with my NXS 2.5-10x42 last week, it was SOOOO easy... Like cheating getting it level.

Biggy
01-31-20, 20:19
I think Unity Tactical will probably have their new LPVO scope mount out around June or July. No mounting bolt nuts protruding on it, like a lot of the other designs. It looks really nice.
If I were buying now, I would get the Badger Ordnance Mount.

Sabre675
01-31-20, 20:29
I ordered a Scalarworks for my MK8 to replace my LArue to shave some weight, I’m leaning towards getting the new Badger to compare. Based off my opinion I’ll order another of whichever I preference...On a side note I haven’t been able to log onto Badger for a week... have they crashed?

caporider
01-31-20, 22:53
Yeah, I used it for the first time with my NXS 2.5-10x42 last week, it was SOOOO easy... Like cheating getting it level.

It drives me a little nuts that I can't use my Arisaka leveling tool with Geissele mounts. Badger Ordnance mounts seem better designed in this regard.

jpmuscle
01-31-20, 23:06
It drives me a little nuts that I can't use my Arisaka leveling tool with Geissele mounts. Badger Ordnance mounts seem better designed in this regard.

The large leveler doesn’t work?

caporider
02-01-20, 00:24
The large leveler doesn’t work?

There is a narrow spine that runs along the Geissele mount that does not provide enough width to use the Arisaka leveler. At least I have not figured out how to get around this.

jpmuscle
02-01-20, 00:36
There is a narrow spine that runs along the Geissele mount that does not provide enough width to use the Arisaka leveler. At least I have not figured out how to get around this.

On my last 1.93 G mount I just used a set of feeler gauges as I did not own the arisaka tool yet. I’ll have to dig mine out and play with it.

JoshNC
02-01-20, 09:37

The AD leveler kit works with the G 2.04 mount.

WS6
02-02-20, 00:30
I prefer to just use my cell phone and a Badger dead level.

Wake27
02-02-20, 02:02
The arisaka kit works with G, its just more tedious. I upgraded to a Badger COMM last night and it seems pretty dope.

joffe
02-02-20, 06:12
There is no practical reason to be this anal about leveling a scope. I just use a feeler gauge set to approximately the correct thickness. Close enough.

jpmuscle
02-02-20, 06:56
There is no practical reason to be this anal about leveling a scope. I just use a feeler gauge set to approximately the correct thickness. Close enough.

Neat

Eurodriver
02-02-20, 09:09

I’ll take “How we know this guy doesn’t shoot PRS” for 1,000 Alex.

Sabre675
02-02-20, 10:52

LMAO....

RHINOWSO
02-03-20, 22:38

Worked fine, as I put the NXS in a Geissele mount - just hooked it over the center part and used the small level triangle.

Actually pretty easy.

Mr. Clean
02-05-20, 20:26
I prefer to just use my cell phone and a Badger dead level.

Everybody has their own system ... but I was just wondering what the cell phone was used for with the dead level?

Life's a Hillary
02-06-20, 14:22
I don’t think I operate hard enough for this optic after seeing the video. No shooting at abandoned nuclear facilities for me.

joffe
02-07-20, 03:07

My range is 700 yards, what's yours?

Here's the reality: gravity only works in one direction. What is important is aligning the reticle with the earth. If your reticle is level with the earth, the offset caused by your reticle being canted to your rifle makes no difference whatsoever.

Schootz
02-07-20, 06:16
When leveling a scope I've always found it useful to hang a plumb bob at fifty yards and then match the vertical line in the reticle to the string. It's easy and gets the job done and I have never had any issues. You just have to be careful not to move the scope as you tighten down the mount screws. Do it a couple times and it's no biggie. FWIW.

02-13-20, 11:17
A plumb line that is centered while looking through the barrel and plumb with the reticle is the only true way (that and the flashlight through the ocular).

Making the turret housing and mount parallel is just that.

Not saying it doesn't work, but it's a slipshod way of doing things IMO.

GreenOps
02-13-20, 22:48
Look what came in the mail today! I took a photo of it next to my Strike Eagle. I still need to buy a mount, but first impressions are that the glass is very clean and the 1x feels more like .5x. The eyebox is great and looking through the scope, you don't see the knobs on the outside. Best of all it's aimpoint bright when it's on. I'll test it out on my work gun next time we hit the range, but until then, I plan on giving it a good run. I've been meaning to revamp our LVPO course that we teach for open enrollment and this will definitely get me back on track.

montrala
02-17-20, 02:21
Making the turret housing and mount parallel is just that.

If reticle is not squared to turrets and scope body, that means reticle will not be tracking properly with windage and elevation adjustments. While there can be a point that in some scopes nobody touch those after initial zeroing, I still believe that such scope is better to be sent back on warranty than mounted canted to straighten reticle position.

In my case I first mount scope squared to rifle then I check if reticle is also squared. Unless reticle is so canted in first place that I can notice it before mounting.

Sabre675
03-12-20, 17:29
https://i.imgur.com/PntMJ4q.jpg

Vortex GEN3, 1-10, mil/mil. I’ve no previous experience with Vortex Optics. This particular optic checks a lot of boxes for my 7.62 MLOK MWS, otherwise I’m usually Leupy leaning. First impression... it feels very robust. Glass isn’t as good as my Leupold MK8, which is exceptional. Definitely daylight bright. Magnification at 10X doesn’t seem like a significant difference compared to my MK8 1-8, but I’ve yet to side by side compare. Eye relief is significant. It’s definitely a true 1x. Definitely daylight bright. Horus style reticle is decent, but doughnut crosshair could go imho. It’s plain looking. I hate the purple-ish, burnt bronze color. I would personally prefer uncapped turrets. The dials aren’t the most pleasurable feeling, they feel lunky compared to my MK8. The magnification dial is smooth and on point, as is the illumination system. The lens caps are shit for a $2K optic. I need to decide on the mount, possibly spend some time with it to see if it’s truly what I want....

ETA: I just got my MK8 1-8 CQBSS H27d out for side by side comparison. The Glass clarity/image clarity on the MK8 is much better. On 8 power, the images in the 1-8 actually look closer, I think this is just do to image clarity, but I prefer the Leupold quite a bit more. The Vortex is much better on 1x with illumination, to be used as a red dot, however, clarity still goes to the Leupold. Overall it still feels like a fine optic for the money and the glass is good, but not great. I’m not sure how it would compare to a nightforce ATACR 1-8, but if the nightforce has better glass, I suspect my opinion would be the same. I would personally like to see someone’s opinion of a first hand comparison between a MK6 1-6 and the Vortex GEN3 1-10 as to glass quality.

joffe
03-12-20, 19:01
Those lens caps are for storage, they really should come with flip-up caps but they don't.

The Defender flip-up caps are pretty good.

RHINOWSO
03-13-20, 11:50
Still very interested in this optic, seems perfect for a GP 308 16" rifle, but the ATACR/NXS/Kahles and others are viable as well.

But I'll wait until the fall to let the dust settle, as often the 'shine' wears off of the 'latest and greatest'...

Aadland is the end all be all of flip caps IMO.

Sabre675
03-13-20, 11:57
Still very interested in this optic, seems perfect for a GP 308 16" rifle, but the ATACR/NXS/Kahles and others are viable as well.

But I'll wait until the fall to let the dust settle, as often the 'shine' wears off of the 'latest and greatest'...

Aadland is the end all be all of flip caps IMO.

They look legit. Thank you.

Sabre675
03-13-20, 14:56
https://i.imgur.com/HM0g1Hr.jpg

Life's a Hillary
03-14-20, 11:34
Are you going to do any tracking tests?

Wake27
03-14-20, 12:14
First optic I ever really wanted to spend money on.

RHINOWSO
03-14-20, 12:18

You'll mount it with a Scalarworks to a custom GAP rifle and all 3 will be Lemons for you.

If history is any indication.... ;)

Sabre675
03-14-20, 22:00
Are you going to do any tracking tests?

Perhaps. Haven’t decided for sure if I want to keep it. I was ill prepared for the early arrival. I need a mount. It’ll be awhile.

vicious_cb
03-14-20, 23:56
Perhaps. Haven’t decided for sure if I want to keep it. I was ill prepared for the early arrival. I need a mount. It’ll be awhile.

If possible can you please post some reticle pics with illumination like inside looking out into a bright area.

Sabre675
03-15-20, 16:04
https://i.imgur.com/NleagVu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6AR3gtl.jpg

Sorry. Tough to do and phone camera doesn’t give an accurate representation...

For reference, building is 1444 yards away

If possible can you please post some reticle pics with illumination like inside looking out into a bright area.

03-15-20, 16:06
That reticle actually looks appealing, and I didn’t think it would.

Sabre675
03-27-20, 14:27
https://i.imgur.com/4KpMkNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p9F2IoG.jpg

Scalarworks arrived...

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to zero if weather is favorable.

rushca01
03-27-20, 17:38
https://i.imgur.com/4KpMkNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p9F2IoG.jpg

Scalarworks arrived...

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to zero if weather is favorable.

When did you order that, their website shows out of stock

Sabre675
03-27-20, 19:15
When did you order that, their website shows out of stock

23rd.........

Sabre675
03-28-20, 16:53
@rushca01 there’s one nib for sale at snipershide if you’re looking...

rushca01
03-28-20, 16:58
@rushca01 there’s one nib for sale at snipershide if you’re looking...

Thanks, since the Vortex was out, I went the the NF NX1-8.

Sabre675
03-31-20, 18:08
https://i.imgur.com/eVfaqEy.jpgTook it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.

Mitu
03-31-20, 22:50
You guys finding them in stock anywhere (MIL reticle)? Everywhere I'm seeing has them on backorder/pre-order.

VIP3R 237
04-01-20, 13:09
You guys finding them in stock anywhere (MIL reticle)? Everywhere I'm seeing has them on backorder/pre-order.

Vortex’s website said they are going to be available in April, so hopefully they’ll start showing up.

caporider
04-01-20, 14:52

Yeah every unit delivered is going to fill preorders, and that will probably continue for a few months. I'm sure Vortex is trickling them in to make sure everything is OK with the scopes, as well as holding back a few units for warranty replacements.

Furbyballer
04-02-20, 08:51
https://i.imgur.com/eVfaqEy.jpgTook it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.

Whats your opinion on the rec 7 with the 1-10? seems like the battle rifle package everyone was looking for 2-3 years ago and there is almost no information out there on Barrett's gas guns.

VortexOptics
04-02-20, 10:21
Yeah every unit delivered is going to fill preorders, and that will probably continue for a few months. I'm sure Vortex is trickling them in to make sure everything is OK with the scopes, as well as holding back a few units for warranty replacements.

There's no reason to trickle some out to test the scopes and use customers as guinea pigs - we've done tons of that before ever even releasing them :)

VIP3R 237
04-02-20, 10:59
There's no reason to trickle some out to test the scopes and use customers as guinea pigs - we've done tons of that before ever even releasing them :)

Any idea on eta and if the moa or mrad will be easier to find? I wanna put an order in the next week or so

VortexOptics
04-02-20, 11:14
Any idea on eta and if the moa or mrad will be easier to find? I wanna put an order in the next week or so

eta is extremely difficult to guess - depends on the model (Most retailers will have more backorders for the MOA than the MRAD unless they are more a Mil/LE shop which then might have more backorders for the MRAD version) and depends on the retailer and how many people they have ahead of you and when they placed their preorders with us and how many units they placed on preorder (i.e. - when you place an order with them - is the unit already on preorder or will they only just be placing that order with us that day?). We're really not in any kind of position to give a good estimate - it would likely be wrong and then result in unhappy everyone unfortunately.

Some retailers will have more backorders than others, and some have better ordering practices than others that keep a more steady stream of product coming in. Al at AAOptics comes to mind - he orders product even when he doesn't have an immediate order on hand from a customer to connect it to just because he knows it will sell once it comes in. You could get on order with him and it very well may come in sooner than it would if you go to another place that waits to place orders with us until they have a guaranteed order in hand from a customer.

Sabre675
04-02-20, 13:46
Whats your opinion on the rec 7 with the 1-10? seems like the battle rifle package everyone was looking for 2-3 years ago and there is almost no information out there on Barrett's gas guns.

It was a REC10 (7.62, not REC7 5.56). It was a Nice rifle. Very lightweight and handy feeling. I think he said it weighs 8lbs, but it felt lighter. My MWS is 8.7 lbs, but it is handicapped slightly due to the indexing collar.
Can’t much about it at this point as we zero’d and made a shot on steel ea. And left. Seems Koolaide-ish worthy thus far.

vicious_cb
04-05-20, 14:06

Pretty much this. I just pulled on the trigger on a Gen 3 + badger 1.70" mount. I was an early adopter of the first 1-4x's like the accupoint and NF got rid of them and skipped the next few generations of LPVOs. After running red dots for the last 5 years this is the only thing thats piqued my interest in magnified optics in the last 10 years.

Wake27
04-05-20, 15:25
Pretty much this. I just pulled on the trigger on a Gen 3 + badger 1.70" mount. I was an early adopter of the first 1-4x's like the accupoint and NF got rid of them and skipped the next few generations of LPVOs. After running red dots for the last 5 years this is the only thing thats piqued my interest in magnified optics in the last 10 years.

Where’d you buy it from? I just bought a MK18 upper so I haven’t been looking for one of these, but I hadn’t noticed any out either.

vicious_cb
04-05-20, 15:38
My personal local vendor. Call up your vendors who have pre-orders up to see if you can get on the 1st wave coming out which should be the end of April which I hope they deliver in time for the next phase of the current situation, I expect to need more magnification than a 3x can provide for PID.

jsbhike
05-16-20, 11:32
Noticed this on 9 Hole Reviews and thought it might be of use here.

https://youtu.be/6eJhvCt5vY0