PDA

View Full Version : Best carry mods for the Smith and Wesson Shield (1/2)?

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-05-20, 14:47
Hey guys,

I have a Smith and Wesson shield with factory night sights. I rarely carry it but when I do I carry IWB and it has the crimson trace Laser/Light combo with DG style switch. It is a great gun, and is over 1500 rounds without a hitch shooting mostly steel garbage. It is a handy gun. I would say the only problem is, like any small gun with a tiny sight radius and a meh trigger (mine is also a 1.0) it requires care to shoot with high precision (especially compared to my 1911s and Berettas (duh)). There is nothing mechanically wrong with the gun. If you slow down and shoot carefully, it is as accurate as you can be.

I was thinking about getting a trigger upgrade and maybe swap to HD sights. If you guys were setting up a Shield for carry but trying to guild the Lilly a bit, but not turn it into a competition gun, what would you do?

Recommended triggers? Looking for safety, reliability and precision (in that order). Anything better than the factory trigger but still safe and trustworthy?

What sights? I might go HD or even truglo. But I am listening. I am trying to avoid buying a 365.

Kadelic
01-05-20, 18:32
I've been EDCing my 1.0 9mm Shield AIWB for several years. I also have the 1.0 9c and FS. All three have the Apex Duty/Cary Action Enhancement kit installed, along with an Apex aluminum trigger (FS has their polymer trigger).

ETA: I highly recommend the Apex DCAEK. Makes the trigger nice and crisp. Make sure and use the heavier spring (kit comes with two). I had a gunsmith install the triggers on all 3 of my M&Ps. I had him install the lighter spring on one pistol, just to see the difference. After test firing I immediately had him replace it with the heavier spring.

I also have Truglo TFO night sights on each pistol, but if I ever replace them I'd go with the TFX.

Having large hands, the only other mod I've done is putting a piece of bicycle inner tube over the grip. Fits my hand better, improves grip, and doesn't move around like one of the purpose made grip sleeves I tried.

signal4l
01-05-20, 18:53
I purchased a Shield in 2013. I put the Apex Duty Carry Action kit in it. I also installed a set of Ameriglo CAP sights and later added a Talon grip sticker.

I guestimate I have about 3000 rounds through it. Other than some rust on the slide it has been flawless. I am a big fan of the Shield. I like the slightly longer grip compared to the G43. I also don't get slide bit by my Shield-- unlike the G43

Interestingly, I recently shot a newer production 1.0 Shield as well as a 2.0 version. I actually preferred the 1.0. The stock trigger on the 1.0 was much better than the one I bought 6 years ago. I wouldn't bother with the action kit if I owned the gun. The grip texture on the 2.0 was a bit too abrasive. The 2.0 trigger wasn't any better than the 1.0

Clint
01-05-20, 18:55
The Apex polymer trigger makes a huge difference in the M&P Compact.

The shield(s) have the aluminum version available, which I should be a worthy upgrade.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-05-20, 21:06
What about the HD XR? They look pretty good.

You know, the trigger actually is pretty good. I think I am going to swap out the sights, since I prefer the u-notch/Red front HD style. Maybe the Tru-glo. Hmm.

Straight Shooter
01-05-20, 21:08
All Im wanting is a slighty larger slide release, something like what a Vickers Glock slide release is. Just a wee more meat sticking out to help drop the slide.

opngrnd
01-05-20, 22:14
I've liked the 10-8 U-notch and 10-8 Fiber Optic front sight. Very fast, yet precise. Since you're removing the rear sight, at least throw in the Apex Tactical USB. It's part of the DCAEK, but work replacing on it's own. It really smooths the trigger pull up, gives it a better feeling wall, and makes the trigger feel lighter.

RWH24
01-05-20, 23:36
What about the HD XR? They look pretty good.

You know, the trigger actually is pretty good. I think I am going to swap out the sights, since I prefer the u-notch/Red front HD style. Maybe the Tru-glo. Hmm.

My Shield 1.0 has HD Orange prior to the XR version. The wife's 1.0 has HD/XR. Her grip strength has weakened over the years so slide racking is No Good.
She has a 19x that works fine.
My Glock 45, 21 and 43x Slide has HD/XR Orange. Old bifocal eyes I need the narrower front sight in the rear notch. Glock BOLD don't work at all.
After trying sights on M&P's, Glock's and Wilson Combat's the HD/XR Orange work best for me.
I even tried the green/yellow colors, my eyes just don't pick it up as good as Orange/Red colors.
The Slide top has been serrated by Doug at ATEI Guns and the Duty Carry kit installed with the factory trigger.
The OEM trigger shoe with the APEX internals are a safe trigger for me on both of our Shield's 1.0, 9mm

Top View of slide and HD sights

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413487774.jpg

M_Rapp
01-31-20, 12:43
Anyone putting Red Dots on their Shields?
Saw this one doing a search: https://outerimpact.com/shop/red-dot-adaptermount-smith-wesson-mp-pistol-m-r/
Curious how that would work in the real world. ???

opngrnd
01-31-20, 15:07
Anyone putting Red Dots on their Shields?
Saw this one doing a search: https://outerimpact.com/shop/red-dot-adaptermount-smith-wesson-mp-pistol-m-r/
Curious how that would work in the real world. ???

I used one for a short time on a G19 to try the concept. It worked as needed for those several hundred rounds.

ChazC93
01-31-20, 15:33
I've had great success with the Apex Tactical kits for M&P products.

Id get the complete action enhancement kit.